Could Utd be sold soon?

IrishMcD

Not gonna happen. As much as I'd love to see the current owners gone and serious money being made available, this one started as a Twitter rumour that grew legs for a few days and then died a death.

lsd

The Oracle
View the time I posted that comment mate. If you are suggesting I posted it after the Leicester incident, I didn't. If you are trying to be witty, I don't get it.

Don't think it's anything to do with Leicester but rather the Prince's involvement in the journalist's death recently

IrishMcD

Don't think it's anything to do with Leicester but rather the Prince's involvement in the journalist's death recently
You're probably right, dunno how I didn't get that. Apologies. Serious lack of sleep this weekend.

stevoc

I was referring to Kashoggi and the murder in Istanbul, mate.
It was probably only a poor choice of phrase if you go back a few pages there were some making all sorts of jokes about conducting transfer negotiations in embassies and showing players bonesaws. So the thread already strayed needlessly into the distasteful.

Offsideagain

I’m quiet angry that anyone would think of making a joke about the tragedy at Leicester and especially me but then nobody knows me personally. Sorted so let’s move on.

GiddyUp

Is there any one person, family, regime or hedge fund that can afford to buy this club that is not tarnished with some shady or despicable actions?
We are a huge investment and an opportunity to make mountains of money even with a massive leveraged buyout so there really isn't risk there. Our problem is that we need ownership that wants to see the best football and players every week competing for leagues and cups without the wanking over official partners like Woodward and the Glazers. It would be nice to see an owner at Old Trafford at nearly every game who is engaged in the football like Abramovich was instead we have a few Glazer brothers who turn up at the high profile matches decked out in merch that they definitely got from a swag bag in the executive lounge.
At this point the club feels more like NASCAR to me. Sponsors all over a beautiful machine when a sleek red will do. Players like sponsorship badges on a drivers overalls, Gerber Baby on one shoulder and Trojan condoms on the other. Happy to just go round and round, entertaining our sponsors marketing department and their families while ignoring the blaringly obvious frustrations of the fans. It's just not working for us.
I hate city and their questionable ownership who like to play shadow games with sponsorship numbers but I am envious of their model for the football at the club. That kind of thinking and money spent in the right places could propel this club to something rivaling SAF's domination.
We will be sold at some point, it's the American way. Who will buy us? I dont know but I get the feeling that when they do a return on investment will only be half the motivation.

Last edited:

GiddyUp

As the world is moving towards Electric Vehicles Middle eastern countries may not be the force to reckon in near future. Not sure how citi fans feel when they think about this as they are expecting a long haul from their Abu dabies

Nice to see relegated Man-City being bought by Ashley in 2022 ;)
An optimistic outlook for sure but definitely not happening in the next few decades.

Tarrou

If Saudi Arabia are to successfully diversify from oil then perhaps they'll need to reform heavily in terms of human rights. I mean, if you look at the way the world is heading today then how can they realistically own successful brands in the west without people boycotting? I know they already own Uber and nobody boycotts that, but I expect it's only a matter of time before that becomes a conversation.

In that context could an investment in United, dare I say it, actually be a good thing for Saudi Arabia as a country and its people?

Just getting my excuses ready early :-)

Revan

Assumptionman
If Saudi Arabia are to successfully diversify from oil then perhaps they'll need to reform heavily in terms of human rights. I mean, if you look at the way the world is heading today then how can they realistically own successful brands in the west without people boycotting? I know they already own Uber and nobody boycotts that, but I expect it's only a matter of time before that becomes a conversation.

In that context could an investment in United, dare I say it, actually be a good thing for Saudi Arabia as a country and its people?

Don't they have just 5% of Uber, which is a bit lower than Uber's founder and just 40% of Softpedia's share on Uber?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

The atrocities currently taking place over there would almost certainly receive more exposure. That can only be a good thing.

Infra-red

The atrocities currently taking place over there would almost certainly receive more exposure. That can only be a good thing.
People said something similar when Qatar was awarded the World Cup. They have subsequently worked 3000+ people to death in slave-like conditions building stadia for the tournament.

EyeInTheSky

Around 3% of the UK's oil imports comes from Saudi Arabia mate we import more from Nigeria, also considering a large amount of the UK's oil comes from the UK's own North sea operations. What are we talking about here probably about 1-2% of the Oil in the country from Saudi Arabia? Not a lot is it?

So on the off chance that a United fan happens to live in the UK and own a car that requires petrol/diesel, and is opposed to this takeover, and lives in an area where Saudi Oil arrives at their local garage and they purchase it knowing where it came from then you would maybe have a point. But otherwise as i said it's a stretch.

Other countries use lots of Saudi Oil though, so you might have a point there if the person knows where their oil comes from.

Everything wrong as humanly possible :lol:. What did i make up please educate me mate?
I clearly verbatim stated that "In the UK alone" and was talking to someone else about how much Oil SA oil is used globally. The point is we are all using it in one way or another some more than others so I am not sure what point you are really trying to make.

It may not have occurred to you but there are countries outside the UK which you seem to want to isolate for some strange reason and even then you were wrong in the assumption. You also assumed that everyone is from the UK ...

How's that for education?

stevoc

I clearly verbatim stated that "In the UK alone" and was talking to someone else about how much Oil SA oil is used globally. The point is we are all using it in one way or another some more than others so I am not sure what point you are really trying to make.
My point was despite you trying to make it seem like the UK (which you specified in your reply to me, i didn't) uses a lot of Saudi oil when it actually doesn't. Thats my point mate.

It may not have occurred to you but there are countries outside the UK which you seem to want to isolate for some strange reason and even then you were wrong in the assumption. You also assumed that everyone is from the UK ...
Again you brought up and specified the UK i did not. Thats probably why it seems strange to you mate.

How's that for education?
Eh pretty crap mate to be honest, so it took you 3 weeks to come up with this reply then? Can you tell me specifically what i made up and got wrong in my last post as you claimed now or will i have to wait another 3 weeks?

Last edited:

EyeInTheSky

My point was despite you trying to make it seem like the UK (which you specified in your reply to me, i didn't) uses a lot of Saudi oil when it actually doesn't. Thats my point mate.

Again you brought up and specified the UK i did not. Thats probably why it seems strange to you mate.

Eh pretty crap mate to be honest, so it took you 3 weeks to come up with this reply then? Can you tell me specifically what i made up and got wrong in my last post as you claimed now or will i have to wait another 3 weeks?
Here you go mate:

Not this again, not all Oil comes from Saudi Arabia. Depending on where you live most likely very little or none of it in fact. Even if it did its still a stretch to equate purchasing fuel for your car to supporting a brutal regime in the middle east.
What a pointless post "depending on where you live I can try and engineer a situation where SA oil is not the main source of oil". I suppose you are right, if I lived on the moon it would be unlikely I would be using SA oil. You got me there pal. It may have not occurred to you that fuel is not the only use for oil (more free education for you)

Re the UK:

You made it about the UK because you said "on the off chance a fan uses SA petrol in his car" The Uk is just one country mate. I used it as an example after You said "not all oil comes from SA" how unlikely it was for their oil to be used. Still can't see your point considering SA is the biggest oil exporter on the planet by a long shot and it is not just used for petrol. Almost every product from plastics to fertiliser, Tyres to construction are all made from or include oil in them and a feck load more that would take up pages on this thread. (more education for you)

All our day to day lives relies on it in one form or another. Trying to distance your argument from that fact is simply outrageous. "Oh but, but it's not the same thing". When we buy and use almost anything we fund big oil. So we are contributing to their wealth. Ignoring that and making a song and dance/crying about them spending money on football is fecking hilarious.

Just like my very first point about how football is the moral high ground for clowns.

Not sure about the "waiting another 3 weeks" comment. Some of us have more pressing concerns out in the real world. There is only so much time I can dedicate to sanctimony. I would probably advise you not to put so much anticipation into football forum posts. I am flattered that you were waiting so keenly for my response though.

FujiVice

I think it will happen in 2019.Whether we like it or not.
I agree. Anyone who sees their partnership with WWE at the moment, can see the signs (they are paying them massive sponsorship money to basically do whatever the feck the Prince wants to do). They want apart of the pop culture in the West. And we are like fecking football Disney Land for the likes of them.

stevoc

Here you go mate:
What a pointless post "depending on where you live I can try and engineer a situation where SA oil is not the main source of oil". I suppose you are right, if I lived on the moon it would be unlikely I would be using SA oil. You got me there pal. It may have not occurred to you that fuel is not the only use for oil (more free education for you)
Or the UK.

Re the UK:

You made it about the UK because you said "on the off chance a fan uses SA petrol in his car" The Uk is just one country mate. I used it as an example after You said "not all oil comes from SA" how unlikely it was for their oil to be used. Still can't see your point considering SA is the biggest oil exporter on the planet by a long shot and it is not just used for petrol. Almost every product from plastics to fertiliser, Tyres to construction are all made from or include oil in them and a feck load more that would take up pages on this thread. (more education for you)
Nope

Serious question mate do you have memory problems?

Here's our conversation that lead to this, see if you can spot who mentioned the UK first.

I assume you never put petrol in your car or ever used transport or used any product that is derived from oil which is basically everything.

Got to love how football is the moral high ground for some of you.
Not this again, not all Oil comes from Saudi Arabia. Depending on where you live most likely very little or none of it in fact. Even if it did its still a stretch to equate purchasing fuel for your car to supporting a brutal regime in the middle east.
The UK alone imported over 1.6 Million Metric tonnes of crude oil from SA in 2017 alone and has been in the top 5 or 6 exporters for the UK alone.

Also, how you think the fact that putting petrol in your car and money going to them is "a stretch" is embarrassing unless you are wumming?

So despite making stuff up in your head and getting everything wrong as humanly possible what were you trying to achieve?
Around 3% of the UK's oil imports comes from Saudi Arabia mate we import more from Nigeria, also considering a large amount of the UK's oil comes from the UK's own North sea operations. What are we talking about here probably about 1-2% of the Oil in the country from Saudi Arabia? Not a lot is it?

So on the off chance that a United fan happens to live in the UK and own a car that requires petrol/diesel, and is opposed to this takeover, and lives in an area where Saudi Oil arrives at their local garage and they purchase it knowing where it came from then you would maybe have a point. But otherwise as i said it's a stretch.

Other countries use lots of Saudi Oil though, so you might have a point there if the person knows where their oil comes from.
Not sure about the "waiting another 3 weeks" comment. Some of us have more pressing concerns out in the real world. There is only so much time I can dedicate to sanctimony. I would probably advise you not to put so much anticipation into football forum posts. I am flattered that you were waiting so keenly for my response though.
:lol: Yeah mate i was on the edge of my seat waiting for your reply. Great discussion mate.

Maticmaker

I imagine it would need someone with £2B or so in their back pocket/spare cash, to prise the United cash-cow away from the Glazers and the new owner would need unlimited amounts elsewhere, which can be showered at will on to the club (ignore FFP that's for the birds) to buy every player the manager desired!

Oh I've just woken up... what a dream

Bestietom

I imagine it would need someone with £2B or so in their back pocket/spare cash, to prise the United cash-cow away from the Glazers and the new owner would need unlimited amounts elsewhere, which can be showered at will on to the club (ignore FFP that's for the birds) to buy every player the manager desired!

Oh I've just woken up... what a dream
If it is true then the Glazers are looking for 4bn.