Could we get relegated? | United officially now safe from relegation for 2019/20 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

With a whole 7 games to spare? Anyone would think people who entertained this idea were drama queens.

romufc

Bruno didn't save us from relegation. He gave us the lift to get top 4. Your missing a whole load of league positions between the two.

It's perfectly fine to be wrong. I'm wrong often, as seen in my top 6 prediction.
Obviously, as a passionate supporter sometimes emotions get the better of you. I am glad I was wrong.

If we didnt sign Bruno, we could easily be out of EL and be in Arsenal's position.

Lynty

Obviously, as a passionate supporter sometimes emotions get the better of you. I am glad I was wrong.

If we didnt sign Bruno, we could easily be out of EL and be in Arsenal's position.
True, I agree

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Hard to see us displacing Chelsea or Leicester out of top four. They have better squads and better managers.

But before that we'd have to deal the North London clubs as well.

I don't think we'll be relegated, but we're not going to make EL, either.
This was made before Bruno joined, and after Pogba was injured. We're still not guaranteed of EL, but I'm far more hopeful of our chances for CL now obviously.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Some great naming and shaming.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
And @Majima had the bare faced cheek to say that he was respectful in the Ole discussion thread :lol:
You're classless. Might i remind you that we're still on course to have our worst ever season in the PL? You don't get to that point without some serious lows. So don't try and talk like criticism hasn't been warranted. At least wait until the end of the season, or we win something. We might have looked amazing yesterday, but it is still only one match.

Last edited:

Grylte

I think it's crass personally. 'Naming & shaming' during the season we've had so far, is just embarrassing.
Not at all, we're having a good season rebuilding wise, plus we're in a decent position for top 4 and in the cups.
The posts quoted were much more embarrassing, in my opinion.

Nick7

Naming and shaming because we won't get relegated is pretty hilarious to be fair

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Not at all, we're having a good season rebuilding wise, plus we're in a decent position for top 4 and in the cups.
It's easy to say all this after the fact though.

My post was October 6, 2019. We had just come off a 1-0 defeat away to Newcastle where we were toothless and had 9 points from 8 games. That was our lowest tally for 20 years, since the 1989-90 season (8 points from 8 games). We were 2 points above the relegation zone. Solskjaer was rambling after the match, he looked like a deer in the headlights. De Gea came out almost in tears, saying sorry to the fans for the season so far, saying he didn't have a clue what was happening. We were in full crisis mode.

This was De Gea our captain:

Be honest, did you believe we would turn it around at that point?

To single out posts from that time period is stupid no?

Last edited:

Grylte

My post was October 6, 2019. We had just come off a 1-0 defeat away to Newcastle where we were toothless and had 9 points from 8 games. That was our lowest tally for 20 years, since the 1989-90 season (8 points from 8 games). We were 2 points above the relegation zone. Solskjaer was rambling after the match. Dea Gea came out almost in tears, saying sorry to the fans for the season so far, saying he didn't have a clue what was happening. We were in full crisis mode.

I think people were too dramatic, and didn't want to, or weren't able to, see that it was work in progress. Solskjaer had to change the team who were amongst the teams who were running the least under Mourinho and LvG, into a high press team that's one of the teams that runs the most. It was going to be tough, especially when we had injuries on some of our best players.
I still thought we'd get 4.-6. position, and i think my post history on The Caf can prove that.

I was in the "feck no!" group when Ole was hired as caretaker, but changed my mind, when i could see the changes he did to the squad and the club in general.

It's a footy forum, banter is important for football fans, mate, don't take it too seriously! ;)

el3mel

Honestly this is a stupid bump. Anyone who remembers how crap we were in the first half of the season won't have anything to laugh at, and the only reason we turned on the tides was thanks to Bruno signing first and for all.

meamth

Honestly this is a stupid bump. Anyone who remembers how crap we were in the first half of the season won't have anything to laugh at, and the only reason we turned on the tides was thanks to Bruno signing first and for all.
This guy again.

People who remembers how crap is those who wanted fast turnround. Can't see any positivity Ole brought to the club.

I hate this narrative, oh it's just because of Bruno, Bruno the messiah, Bruno the man, whatever man.

Ole brought him in January. Ole improved Rashford, Ole improved Martial, Ole improved the backroom atmosphere.

If there's one person we can give a credit for where we are now, it's our manager.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I think people were too dramatic, and didn't want to, or weren't able to, see that it was work in progress. Solskjaer had to change the team who were amongst the teams who were running the least under Mourinho and LvG, into a high press team that's one of the teams that runs the most. It was going to be tough, especially when we had injuries on some of our best players.
I still thought we'd get 4.-6. position, and i think my post history on The Caf can prove that.

I was in the "feck no!" group when Ole was hired as caretaker, but changed my mind, when i could see the changes he did to the squad and the club in general.

It's a footy forum, banter is important for football fans, mate, don't take it too seriously! ;)
I must admit, it was a very difficult time to be calm and able to analyse the situation back then. What i knew at that time, was that he was an inexperienced coach at this level, who had us 2 points above the relegation zone, couldn't get any consistency going, and even the players didn't have a clue what was happening.

I do agree with everything you've said.

His changes have been great, man management superb, the Bruno signing has been galvanising to us, it's given everyone including the manager a great deal of confidence i believe, and imo we are in the best shape since SAF right now. Hopefully it continues. I will try to keep your advice in mind in the future, thanks. :)

Tarrou

remembering how crap we were and laughing at you for how wrong you were are not mutually exclusive, in fairness

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
This guy again.

People who remembers how crap is those who wanted fast turnround. Can't see any positivity Ole brought to the club.

I hate this narrative, oh it's just because of Bruno, Bruno the messiah, Bruno the man, whatever man.

Ole brought him in January. Ole improved Rashford, Ole improved Martial, Ole improved the backroom atmosphere.

If there's one person we can give a credit for where we are now, it's our manager.
He's right. If you remember how bad we have been during the season so far, you wouldn't be getting carried away after one match.

Bruno has had a massive impact on the club. We were in a dark time. He lifted the whole club with his arrival before he even set foot on the pitch. Do you think we would be putting in performances like yesterday with Lingard/Pereira on the pitch instead? We weren't exactly setting the place alight before were we?

Solskjaer deserves a lot of praise, of course he does. To come back from that point takes a lot of character. I don't think he would say Solskjaer deserves no praise at all. He was just highlighting the effect Bruno's signing has had.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's always the same people embarrassing themselves, one day they might get it, but I doubt it.

MUFromLTU

My post was October 6, 2019. We had just come off a 1-0 defeat away to Newcastle where we were toothless and had 9 points from 8 games. That was our lowest tally for 20 years, since the 1989-90 season (8 points from 8 games). We were 2 points above the relegation zone. Solskjaer was rambling after the match, he looked like a deer in the headlights. De Gea came out almost in tears, saying sorry to the fans for the season so far, saying he didn't have a clue what was happening. We were in full crisis mode.

I think about half of the cafe expected us to turn it around, at least I sure did and always said that. Yeah we had 0 luck at first half of season, missed penalties, injuries, some losses where opponents have 1 shot per game and it goes in etc.

However, we also had the youngest team in the league and it was obvious that players are not trusting themselves due to huge amount of pressure from "fans", who try to crucify each player/coach after each mistake they make, which was only a short-term issue, but pretty significant at the time due to lack of experience in the squad. Also our xG was always way better than our actual amount of goals, and math never lies.

If Ole would have started throwing some players under the bus, it'd been completely different situation, but when he was supporting them at every step - it was obvious it's only matter of time until things turn around and the belief in themselves will come back.

Part of fanbase were even throwing racist remarks on Pogba's/Lingard's social network profiles, abusing every time they had a chance and then they were all surprised that these players aren't performing at their best or want to leave the club.

As they say - you don't need enemies when you have friends like that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was always a bizarre knee jerk thread. Man. United looking good for 60 + points in the season now (which did look unlikely in October-November) and the 18th place team will probably struggle to even get 35 points).

As someone mentioned a few pages back fans sometimes forget how long seasons are (even without a pandemic) and a club like Man. United can always attract a Bruno Fernandes type mid season to massively improve the 11.

Lynty

Your exact words were:

...If Ole stays we'll get relegated 100%. I'm not even joking.
You were wrong. Own it and laugh it off.

romufc

Exactly. We were struggling to say the least. We all want Manutd to do well, emotions play a part too. Losing games the way we did to Newcastle and West Ham, that was relegation standard. No two ways about it.

We have done really well to come through that period but the fans getting excited about a title challenge next season and bringing back posts from October when we were bad need a reality check.

Lets put things into perspective. We need another 15 points to finish on 64 points which was the 13/14 season, any less and that will be our worst points total in 8 seasons. Lets not get carried away, we have had a shit season, it has taken a 13 match unbeaten run to give us some sort of respect to the points total.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

But look at the starting lineup against Newcastle. Where was the creativity coming from and where were the goals coming from (other than Rashford). How many of these players would you have in your starting lineup?

------------Rashford---James-----------------
-------------------------Mata-------------------------
-----McTominary---Fred---Pereira---------
--Young---Maguire--Tuanzebe--Dalot--
------------------------De Gea------------------------

The whole reason why we struggled on early is an indication that our squad depth is bad. We were missing many first teamers and our results suffered big time. The defense alone is missing 3 starters (AWB, Shaw, Lindelof), then you've got Pogba and Martial missing to add in goals. We've brought in Bruno who now adds more creativity and eases the pressure on Pogba. A little bit of common sense was required back then and we still only lost 1-0. I think losing against Burnley 2-0 was the one I had a mini wobble at but we were using James and Pereira at starters in that game and they're not at that level. Brushed it off quickly after once Bruno joined the team.

Lynty

Exactly. We were struggling to say the least. We all want Manutd to do well, emotions play a part too. Losing games the way we did to Newcastle and West Ham, that was relegation standard. No two ways about it.

We have done really well to come through that period but the fans getting excited about a title challenge next season and bringing back posts from October when we were bad need a reality check.

Lets put things into perspective. We need another 15 points to finish on 64 points which was the 13/14 season, any less and that will be our worst points total in 8 seasons. Lets not get carried away, we have had a shit season, it has taken a 13 match unbeaten run to give us some sort of respect to the points total.
But we aren't getting relegated.

This isn't a performance thread. This is a relegation thread. Don't be changing the narrative.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I was weirdly curious about the prospect. My old man always talks about how great the old division 2 was, so there was a masochistic appeal to it. Ah well, we'll have to settle for a crack at 2 cups and a late charge for the top 3.

Ace of Spades

There have been some very knee jerk comments on this place. Emotions can get the better of anyone, but this one is definitely a very ridiculous thread.

romufc

But we aren't getting relegated.

This isn't a performance thread. This is a relegation thread. Don't be changing the narrative.
Yes 6 months on we aren't.

At the time... when these posts were been written, we were closer to relegation than to the top. FACT.

Like I have said, Ole and the team have done very well to stick together and now look like a promising team.

fps

He's right. If you remember how bad we have been during the season so far, you wouldn't be getting carried away after one match.

Bruno has had a massive impact on the club. We were in a dark time. He lifted the whole club with his arrival before he even set foot on the pitch. Do you think we would be putting in performances like yesterday with Lingard/Pereira on the pitch instead? We weren't exactly setting the place alight before were we?

Solskjaer deserves a lot of praise, of course he does. To come back from that point takes a lot of character. I don't think he would say Solskjaer deserves no praise at all. He was just highlighting the effect Bruno's signing has had.
And who was it under whom Bruno came to the club...!? Solskjaer!! Because he's the first manager since Fergie who's making United style signings! I say this, then remember how well Martial is doing and how Solskjaer's improved him and Rashford's playing well and improving now he's in his best position with a manager who believes in him and doesn't sign bloody Sanchez to replace them both on the left and....

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
But look at the starting lineup against Newcastle. Where was the creativity coming from and where were the goals coming from (other than Rashford). How many of these players would you have in your starting lineup?

------------Rashford---James-----------------
-------------------------Mata-------------------------
-----McTominary---Fred---Pereira---------
--Young---Maguire--Tuanzebe--Dalot--
------------------------De Gea------------------------

The whole reason why we struggled on early is an indication that our squad depth is bad. We were missing many first teamers and our results suffered big time. The defense alone is missing 3 starters (AWB, Shaw, Lindelof), then you've got Pogba and Martial missing to add in goals. We've brought in Bruno who now adds more creativity and eases the pressure on Pogba. A little bit of common sense was required back then and we still only lost 1-0. I think losing against Burnley 2-0 was the one I had a mini wobble at but we were using James and Pereira at starters in that game and they're not at that level. Brushed it off quickly after once Bruno joined the team.
Actually beat Newcastle 4-1 on Boxing day with likes of Pereira still starting.

I think a big problem for Man. United early on was losing Martial for two months as he'd started the season very well. Then Pogba got injured and Rashford was also struggling with an injury so was a real creative void.

Now they're all fit and firing and you have options also on the bench to bring on, Ighalo and James against tiring defences.

Handré1990

Your exact words were:

You were wrong. Own it and laugh it off.
Agreed, the problem is you’re still sticking to your guns, even now @el3mel, when you wrote possibly one of the worst posts of the season. Look at the others admitting to reacting poorly to a terrible period, it’s much more well recieved.

Lynty

And we were fifth when Bruno signed, so saying that our fortunes changing (not getting relegated) were purely down to him is ridiculous.
Holy shit your right. We were 6 points behind Chelsea.

Well then, that puts to bed the idea of Bruno saving us from imminent relegation.

Handré1990

Yes 6 months on we aren't.

At the time... when these posts were been written, we were closer to relegation than to the top. FACT.

Like I have said, Ole and the team have done very well to stick together and now look like a promising team.
We weren’t even half way through the season, FACT!

Status
Not open for further replies.