Could we get relegated? | United officially now safe from relegation for 2019/20 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen86

Exactly. We were struggling to say the least. We all want Manutd to do well, emotions play a part too. Losing games the way we did to Newcastle and West Ham, that was relegation standard. No two ways about it.
There were plenty of people on here complaining after a win because it ‘bought Ole more time’.

There was certainly a bizarre agenda, I suspect there still is one that’ll rear out from under a rock next time we hit a rocky patch. And we will have one.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
There were plenty of people on here complaining after a win because it ‘bought Ole more time’.

There was certainly a bizarre agenda, I suspect there still is one that’ll rear out from under a rock next time we hit a rocky patch. And we will have one.
Happened right after the draw against Spurs.

Ace of Spades

But look at the starting lineup against Newcastle. Where was the creativity coming from and where were the goals coming from (other than Rashford). How many of these players would you have in your starting lineup?

------------Rashford---James-----------------
-------------------------Mata-------------------------
-----McTominary---Fred---Pereira---------
--Young---Maguire--Tuanzebe--Dalot--
------------------------De Gea------------------------

The whole reason why we struggled on early is an indication that our squad depth is bad. We were missing many first teamers and our results suffered big time. The defense alone is missing 3 starters (AWB, Shaw, Lindelof), then you've got Pogba and Martial missing to add in goals. We've brought in Bruno who now adds more creativity and eases the pressure on Pogba. A little bit of common sense was required back then and we still only lost 1-0. I think losing against Burnley 2-0 was the one I had a mini wobble at but we were using James and Pereira at starters in that game and they're not at that level. Brushed it off quickly after once Bruno joined the team.
Was that also not the game that McTominay got injured in, so we lost another player ??

Looking back on it, Ole was actually very unlucky with losing key players at the worst times. We also had some missed penalties, soft goals conceded through individual mistakes from the defense.

Rish Sawhney

Was that also not the game that McTominay got injured in, so we lost another player ??

Looking back on it, Ole was actually very unlucky with losing key players at the worst times. We also had some missed penalties, soft goals conceded through individual mistakes from the defense.
You've clearly got it the other way around mate. He is so lucky that he got his first team players fit for a part of the season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Actually beat Newcastle 4-1 on Boxing day with likes of Pereira still starting.
Newcastle (A) 1-0 Loss

Newcastle (H) 4-1 Win
------------------------Martial------------------------
---Rashford----Pereira----Greenwood---
----------------McTominary---Fred-------------
---Shaw----Maguire---Lindelof---AWB----

5 changes, including having our 1st choice defense back and having Martial and Rashford together.

1st team only has one natural goal scorer in Rashford which is easy to defend against. 2nd team has Martial, Rashford back and with Greenwood, more goal threat in the team and a much better defense. Fixture being played at home too = regulation win.

romufc

I know, I was worried for us in October. I was wrong because we have changed alot since then. That is purely down to Ole.

Look at the changes he has made. Look at the calls he has made. Big calls in selling a striker for Martial.

I however did maintain that Ole is doing the right things. Our squad is very inexperienced, we will get ups and downs. Ole is inexperienced at this level, like the squad he has shown progress.

He is the only manager since Fergie who has given a shit about the club.

Handré1990

So just add Bruno Fernandes to any relegation level team and go from that to supposedly “comfortably the 3rd best team in the league” this place is mad.
:lol:
Well put, and I just read in the Pogba thread that noone can carry a team on their own, clearly they haven’t heard of St. Bruno of Fernandes!

Ace of Spades

You've clearly got it the other way around mate. He is so lucky that he got his first team players fit for a part of the season.
Not really. Pretty much everyone has got their players back with good rest as well. This is not exclusive to Ole.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

That was the return leg which we won 4-1. But injuries to key attacking personal coupled with wafer thin squad exposed us in the 1st part of the season. As soon as Pogba got injured we were in trouble as it meant our creativity was rendered null and void. If nothing else however it forced us into looking at our squad players and help us determine which are clearly not up to it anymore. Expecting they'll be quickly sold come summer.

Handré1990

Weren't you the one calling Ole incompetent ? do you still think that is the case?
I never said anything of the sort, feel free to use the search function. I’ve been less than convinced at times, but this is about United getting relegated in the 19/20 season, no? I think it’s funny seeing several of you shamed defending your previous stance.

Here is my original replyin this thread:
How is it literally impossible? Our front six don’t score goals or create anything. Our away form is atrocious. Our overall form under Solskjaer since he was made a permanent manager is relegation form. We haven’t been able to beat Cardiff, Huddersfield, Southampton, Palace, Newcastle in recent months.

Fans talk about our performance today like it was positive but we created two chances today. The Rashford goal and a shot from Fred in the second half.

There is no such thing as too good to go down. I feel like 50% of the CAF would still want Ole in the job even if we got relegated.
Maybe try to use your critical thinking instead of your feelings? Just a thought.

romufc

I never said anything of the sort, feel free to use the search function. I’ve been less than convinced at times, but this is about United getting relegated in the 19/20 season, no? I think it’s funny seeing several of you shamed defending your previous stance.

Here is my original replyin this thread:

It’s becoming more and more ridiculous! I get why some think he has done the right moves outside of the field. There is, however, no reason why we can’t stay on the same track while employing a competent football manager. Which Ole obviously isn’t.
At least some of us are here and can accept that it was a mistake posting about relegation.

Don't come here having a go at others when you cannot accept your mistakes.

Handré1990

At least some of us are here and can accept that it was a mistake posting about relegation.

Don't come here having a go at others when you cannot accept your mistakes.
Ah, damn it! When was that?! :lol: Well played!

Edit: After Burnley and Wolves, yeah, no I totally accept it! I never thought getting relegated was a chance though, not even I’m that dumb ;)

romufc

Ah, damn it! When was that?! :lol:
We have all been critical of Ole and the team. I will not apologise because we were crap in the first half of the season.

Ole has done really well to come through that as I have said, but this could still be our worst season in 8 points wise if we do not get 15 points in the remaining games.

I can accept that Up until October / November I was critical however; since then I have seen signs of improvement throughout, have seen what Ole is trying to do and I have been on this forum defending Ole.

Lynty

@Handré1990

Took it like a champ. I'm sure i've called for Ole to be sacked once this season. Can't remember when. But i'd had enough at one point. The difference is, I still knew we were much too good to be relegated.

Handré1990

We have all been critical of Ole and the team. I will not apologise because we were crap in the first half of the season.

Ole has done really well to come through that as I have said, but this could still be our worst season in 8 points wise if we do not get 15 points in the remaining games.

I can accept that Up until October / November I was critical however; since then I have seen signs of improvement throughout, have seen what Ole is trying to do and I have been on this forum defending Ole.
I’ve seen you do that actually, but that wasn’t the reason for this particular bump. I’m happy to move this discussion to the Solskjær thread, this one is to laugh at those who were adamant we were facing a relegation battle this season.

Handré1990

@Handré1990

Took it like a champ. I'm sure i've called for Ole to be sacked once this season. Can't remember when. But i'd had enough at one point. The difference is, I still knew we were much too good to be relegated.
Haha, thanks, I didn’t even remember writing that! :wenger: I do remember getting complaints from my neighbors after that Wolves match though:lol: The fecking memory on @romufc:D

Gator Nate

Yes 6 months on we aren't.

At the time... when these posts were been written, we were closer to relegation than to the top. FACT.

Like I have said, Ole and the team have done very well to stick together and now look like a promising team.
That meaningless FACT is true today, with seven matches to go, for every team in the league except City.

Lynty

Haha, thanks, I didn’t even remember writing that! :wenger: I do remember getting complaints from my neighbors after that Wolves match though:lol: The fecking memory on @romufc:D
Found mine...

Agreed. Sack Ole and the heats on Ed.

I actually think that with a fully fit squad and strong support in the transfer market, Ole would build something here. But neither look likely, and top 4 is still a very realistic goal. Regretfully it's time to sack and roll the dice on a new manager.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
You're classless. Might i remind you that we're still on course to have our worst ever season in the PL? You don't get to that point without some serious lows. So don't try and talk like criticism hasn't been warranted. At least wait until the end of the season, or we win something. We might have looked amazing yesterday, but it is still only one match.
Imagine being called out on talking hyperbolic shite and this is your response is to call someone classless. Wind your neck in :lol:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Not really. Pretty much everyone has got their players back with good rest as well. This is not exclusive to Ole.
A decent manager should be able to get us into the top 4 either way. to be fair after the last 2 windows our starting 11 and subs on paper is an impressive list of players. Better than most. It would want to be given what we’ve spent post Fergie. We’ve still spent and are spending more than Liverpool for example but we are still miles behind them. Our Recruitment and coaching is slowly catching up.

Most fans probably realise at this stage that it takes a few seasons to build something worthwhile and the proof is in the recent results. Once we sort out our right side and figure out how to break down defensive teams quickly we will be able to pick them off as they look for an equaliser. We should be starting those games like we are -1 as most teams would take a draw against us at OT. how a team who’s spent close to a billion quid had to depend on players like Lukaku Mata Lingard and Fellaini (who were at one point some of our better players) is beyond me. as crap as lukakus technique is I think he would thrive big time with Pogba and Bruno behind him and crosses coming in from AWB and whoever we sign for out there with Rashford asking questions on the left. Bruno is that signing that’s finally knitted the midfield and attack together and will hopefully make everyone look better.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
So just add Bruno Fernandes to any relegation level team and go from that to supposedly “comfortably the 3rd best team in the league” this place is mad.
What people don't seem to be getting is why Bruno helped us out so much. In Solskjaer's system the number 10 role is the most important role and for much of the season we had it filled by arguably our two worst players in Lingard/Pereira. The number 10 was the last missing piece so signing Bruno completed our system, to an extent (still need a starting RW obviously). Bruno just being a good player coming in isn't why we've gone up up a level, but Bruno coming in and fitting into a system tailor made and crying out for a player like him is why we've gone up a level.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I don't think that would work out the way you think it would. Them winning the league and us getting relegated on the same day, the Scousers would just cream themselves.
Thinking more that the main story on the front and back pages of all the Daily papers the following day would be United getting relegated, and not them lot winning the League.

NYAS

What people don't seem to be getting is why Bruno helped us out so much. In Solskjaer's system the number 10 role is the most important role and for much of the season we had it filled by arguably our two worst players in Lingard/Pereira. The number 10 was the last missing piece so signing Bruno completed our system, to an extent (still need a starting RW obviously). Bruno just being a good player coming in isn't why we've gone up up a level, but Bruno coming in and fitting into a system tailor made and crying out for a player like him is why we've gone up a level.
Sure, but we were 5th when we signed him. This thread is about relegation. Were we going to get relegated if we didn’t sign him?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
But look at the starting lineup against Newcastle. Where was the creativity coming from and where were the goals coming from (other than Rashford). How many of these players would you have in your starting lineup?

The whole reason why we struggled on early is an indication that our squad depth is bad. We were missing many first teamers and our results suffered big time. The defense alone is missing 3 starters (AWB, Shaw, Lindelof), then you've got Pogba and Martial missing to add in goals. We've brought in Bruno who now adds more creativity and eases the pressure on Pogba. A little bit of common sense was required back then and we still only lost 1-0. I think losing against Burnley 2-0 was the one I had a mini wobble at but we were using James and Pereira at starters in that game and they're not at that level. Brushed it off quickly after once Bruno joined the team.
Looking at that, creativity i would argue no-one, goals only Rashford. Fred was a shadow of himself at that point. McTominay is a workhorse, Pereira was out of his depth, Mata was useless with no-one to link with apart from Rashford (& hadn't been in good form for a year at that point) and James is out of position. I would say that is one of the very worst PL Man Utd sides i've ever seen.

Starting lineup now? 4. De Gea, Maguire, Fred, Rashford.

Yeah our squad depth is bad. Most of them, if they left the club tomorrow, they would fall off the face of the Earth within a year i imagine. Knowing that, how can you be relying on them to win matches? It's just not rational is it? I agree that maybe i got too emotional about the situation, and didn't take into account just how depleted we were at the time. Losing Pogba was going to be bad enough, but Martial & Rashford being out too just killed us. Bruno has been the key, i agree. He's lifted the whole club, including Ole i suspect, and now we don't need Pogba to be in two places at once, he's free to relax and just play his natural game. We've come a long way since Newcastle looking back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.