Could we get relegated? | United officially now safe from relegation for 2019/20 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

::sonny::

I think next year could be the year

What we will see:

- contract extension for some player like Mata, Young, Bailly, Matic and Rojo

- three signing (1 big like Rice or Dier for 120 millions)

So next season could the year of relegation in championship

And then league one, look at Sunderland, Ipswich and Stoke (almost)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Stayed up then. ;)

Mad this page actually got to 21 pages although of course not everyone would be sharing the OP's narrative so would be lots of counter arguments.

Even with Man. United being pretty indifferent for much of this season it simply shows how bad a team you have to be to have serious relegation worries e,g. Villa or Bournemouth bad with two wins in three months.

Looks like despite it looking pretty unlikely after xmas OGS going to produce 60 + point season.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Stayed up then. ;)

Mad this page actually got to 21 pages although of course not everyone would be sharing the OP's narrative so would be lots of counter arguments.

Even with Man. United being pretty indifferent for much of this season it simply shows how bad a team you have to be to have serious relegation worries e,g. Villa or Bournemouth bad with two wins in three months.

Looks like despite it looking pretty unlikely after xmas OGS going to produce 60 + point season.
Honestly it was a very real concern, it feels a while ago now we have a few wins under our belt, but this thread was very real.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Honestly it was a very real concern, it feels a while ago now we have a few wins under our belt, but this thread was very real.
You were still winning the odd game and picking up draws. For example after this thread was created you drew with Liverpool (still only team to do that) and won at Norwich and Brighton before falling back into mediocrity.

I did actually say on page 1 I thought you'd struggle to break 50 points so OGS has done better than I thought he would (I did think he'd be sacked by now tbh) with the good wins you've had v likes of Spurs and Man. City.

Tony247

Yeh. The way we were playing earlier was like 11 chickens were shooed in the field. It was a real concern...stupid but real. Glad that phase is passed.

Okey

We're safe...Ha! Now watch us put together the opposite of last season's run in.

GazTheLegend

Another truly stupid thread :lol:
Mate I embarrassed myself in this thread and now I think the 2019 edition of GazTheLegend looks like a fecking moron

Rashford is a god and carried us big time, we eventually turned out xg into just plain g, and we look one or two players off a title challenge barring injuries

As bad as it got, I still secretly found a lot more pleasure out of seeing Mason Greenwood and Brandon Williams play at Old Trafford than I ever got from Mourinho's teams and players and reckon Solskjaer deserves a huge amount of credit for his sheer brass bollocks to turn us around and I don't think people appreciate it enough here because the pressure he was under must have been IMMENSE. Fair play to the coaching team and players for sticking to their belief and not suddenly going back to basics or whatever

M Bison

Supports
York City
Mate I embarrassed myself in this thread and now I think the 2019 edition of GazTheLegend looks like a fecking moron

Rashford is a god and carried us big time, we eventually turned out xg into just plain g, and we look one or two players off a title challenge barring injuries

As bad as it got, I still secretly found a lot more pleasure out of seeing Mason Greenwood and Brandon Williams play at Old Trafford than I ever got from Mourinho's teams and players and reckon Solskjaer deserves a huge amount of credit for his sheer brass bollocks to turn us around and I don't think people appreciate it enough here because the pressure he was under must have been IMMENSE. Fair play to the coaching team and players for sticking to their belief and not suddenly going back to basics or whatever
Definitely agree on this matey

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This thread is a perfect example of how dramatic and reactive people can be when it comes to football.

Handré1990

This thread is a perfect example of how dramatic and reactive people can be when it comes to football.
Too right! I remember replying to some poster claiming he felt 50% of United fans would be happy to support Solskjær even if we went down. Anyone with a lick of sense could see that us going down this season would’ve been one of, if not the biggest upset in football history.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Too right! I remember replying to some poster claiming he felt 50% of United fans would be happy to support Solskjær even if we went down. Anyone with a lick of sense could see that us going down this season would’ve been one of, if not the biggest upset in football history.
The fact that this got to 21 pages is good evidence of how toxic this forum has been towards our club this season

Zen86

The fact that this got to 21 pages is good evidence of how toxic this forum has been towards our club this season
Funnily enough, I’ve not seen the usual offenders on here quite so much since a bit of positivity started kicking in.

L1nk

I mean we were what, 7 points from the relegation zone at one point with a bad run of form, can't say that it was too dramatic at then. However some good wins mean its obviously extremely unlikely now, not sure why everyone's dogpiling though, I think this forum suffers more from delusion of people burying their head in their sand wanting to believe everything is rosy rather than the misery everyone says is around, aka, more like being a realist

I, for one, am glad that we are not near the relegation zone however, lets push on get a CL place now.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
People just forget how long a season is. Our early season form was genuinely relegation standard though.

Thepinhead

I mean we were what, 7 points from the relegation zone at one point with a bad run of form, can't say that it was too dramatic at then. However some good wins mean its obviously extremely unlikely now, not sure why everyone's dogpiling though, I think this forum suffers more from delusion of people burying their head in their sand wanting to believe everything is rosy rather than the misery everyone says is around, aka, more like being a realist

I, for one, am glad that we are not near the relegation zone however, lets push on get a CL place now.
You know a realist can be both positive and negative. I thought I was a realist and I have seen and do see a lot of positives still. Our recruitment has been good since Mourinho left, there seems to be a togetherness in the squad now. The players fight for each other and covers for each other but mostly they seem to respect and apreciate Ole. We are bringing in some young players and in general have fielded pretty much the youngest team in the league every week. We are still in the top for race despite us having injuries to our 4 best players for long periods of the season. But ye I guess it depends on the eyes who sees.

RedTiger

Half mast

Knee jerk is the worst thing you can do in football. I agree with you bro.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We are the polar opposite of RAWK when the scousers were going trough their barren generation. They would hype up their average players to world-class status. Injured players as messiahs waiting to come back and help them win the treble.

We are doing the complete opposite.

We have two-dimensional posters who dont realise that club management is actually a three-dimensional activity.

RedIan

People just forget how long a season is. Our early season form was genuinely relegation standard though.

It definitely was..... its strange how a couple of wins effects our memory. The prospect of relegation was real in November we were that bad.

Member 113277

Absolutely - however, no club is too big to go down; having said that relegation does require a team to play badly for a sustained period and I never thought we'd do that - equally, I'm surprised to find us in 5th, challenging for top 4, TBH.

We're not mathematically safe yet :-)

Grande

At that point, we had less than a point per game against the weaker sides, and almost two points per game against the better sides. We were playing better and creating more than the opposition in 8 out of 10 games. The need for improvement was striking and obvious, yet those talking about relegation were obviously drama queens or didn't really analyse things.

Since then, the obvious focus was to improve in winning games against lesser teams. Now we have well over two points per game against bottom half sides after Christmas, are through in the FA cup and sitting well in the Europa league, so there has been obvious improvement on that count. More improvement is obviously still needed.

Gator Nate

For what it's worth, right now, Leicester in 3rd is closer to West Ham in 18th (24 point difference) than they are to Liverpool in 1st (29 point difference).

With 11 games to go, our magic number to stave off relegation is 16 points.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ok, plenty of 20:20 hindsight on show here. When the thread started we were dogsh*t and now we are slightly better than that. We were never going to be relegated but at certain times you wondered if we could even get into the top half. I’m still not convinced by our team and my pre-season prediction of 8th still stand.

RedNed77

Ok, plenty of 20:20 hindsight on show here. When the thread started we were dogsh*t and now we are slightly better than that. We were never going to be relegated but at certain times you wondered if we could even get into the top half. I’m still not convinced by our team and my pre-season prediction of 8th still stand.
Slightly better? It’s like some of you actually want us to be shit and revel in it.

RedNed77

We still rarely manage 3 wins mins in a row. That might change though.
I think we will still be patchy this season. Next season I reckon we'll put some long winning streaks together and stroll the top 4, the season after assuming we get our transfer targets right Pep leaves and Liverpool resume normality and actually suffer some injuries and bad luck (like the rest of us) I could see a genuine challenge. We look much better since the signing of Fernandes, with the return of Rashford to that team and Pogba or a Grealish like player in the summer, I really don't think we're that far off. The green shoots are there and it should be exciting for all. Some (I'm not necessarily saying you here) seem to just look for ways to pour piss on it and undertalk us.

Siorac

Slightly better? It’s like some of you actually want us to be shit and revel in it.
This thread was made on October 6. Our then recent league form was one win, two draws, two defeats.

Our current record in our last five league games: two wins, one draw, two defeats.

So yeah, we're in slightly better form but there's not much difference if you're not strictly looking at only the last couple of games.

Andy_Cole

It's funny that this thread seems crazy. To be fair it is. Saying that back in 2014 I thought it was mental that we were considered not to get top 4.

That happened by some distance! We have to be careful never to get sucked into a relegation scrap. Right now we're scrapping for top 4, if we continue to allow our standards to go down and down then that is next.

We need to bring back our arrogance and go for the league title every year again. If next season is another top 4 scrap then what's the point?

jackal&hyde

It definitely was..... its strange how a couple of wins effects our memory. The prospect of relegation was real in November we were that bad.
The prospect of relegation is never real in November, for any club, let alone one that has decent players.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think we will still be patchy this season. Next season I reckon we'll put some long winning streaks together and stroll the top 4, the season after assuming we get our transfer targets right Pep leaves and Liverpool resume normality and actually suffer some injuries and bad luck (like the rest of us) I could see a genuine challenge. We look much better since the signing of Fernandes, with the return of Rashford to that team and Pogba or a Grealish like player in the summer, I really don't think we're that far off. The green shoots are there and it should be exciting for all. Some (I'm not necessarily saying you here) seem to just look for ways to pour piss on it and undertalk us.
We have our worst point tally in several decades. Of course we're not doing the next year is our year.

RedNed77

We have our worst point tally in several decades. Of course we're not doing the next year is our year.
I didn't say next year would be our year, I quite clearly said it wouldn't be but would be an improvement on this one. As for worst points tally, with the exception of Liverpool its been a fairly similar story across the board. It could be that everybody is shit, or alternatively the league has been considerably more difficult this year and Liverpool are an outlier.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I didn't say next year would be our year, I quite clearly said it wouldn't be but would be an improvement on this one. As for worst points tally, with the exception of Liverpool its been a fairly similar story across the board. It could be that everybody is shit, or alternatively the league has been considerably more difficult this year and Liverpool are an outlier.
I would say the traditional top 4 clubs have been wank and Liverpool incredibly good.

Member 113277

At that point, we had less than a point per game against the weaker sides, and almost two points per game against the better sides. We were playing better and creating more than the opposition in 8 out of 10 games. The need for improvement was striking and obvious, yet those talking about relegation were obviously drama queens or didn't really analyse things.

Since then, the obvious focus was to improve in winning games against lesser teams. Now we have well over two points per game against bottom half sides after Christmas, are through in the FA cup and sitting well in the Europa league, so there has been obvious improvement on that count. More improvement is obviously still needed.
Nicely put and spot on the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.