Could we get relegated? | United officially now safe from relegation for 2019/20 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
On 22 January 2020 we lost 2-0 at home to Burnley. We followed that up with a 0-0 at home to Wolves. We are really not very good no matter how we have done in the past 3 games. I don’t see us getting 4th or even 5th. It’s called realism.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
On 22 January 2020 we lost 2-0 at home to Burnley. We followed that up with a 0-0 at home to Wolves. We are really not very good no matter how we have done in the past 3 games. I don’t see us getting 4th or even 5th. It’s called realism.
Right, but at least nobody expects us to get relegated, anymore, this season. Very unlikely to finish outside top 10. And yet getting relegated was very real possibility based on the results when this thread was open, back in October.

Progress? :)

Bruno coming in and Fred suddenly becoming a top midfielder, are two things I think made the biggest difference. On smaller scale, Matic starting to play decently also helped the shambolic midfield we had. And of course, Rashy carried us on goals, until he got injured

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
:lol:

Lynty

If we don’t sack Ole then yes it is a possibility. Awful, awful manager.
Yes, definitely.
We'll be in the first relegation spot or just close to it after Liverpool game.

If Ole stays we'll get relegated 100%. I'm not even joking.
Anyone that thinks we can't get relegated is in for a shock.
The real question is, when we get relegated are we good enough to come straight back up? Answer to that one is probably scarier than the original. :nervous:
Yes absolutely 100% we can get relegated and will be in a relegation battle with this team.

Nobody is mentioning the elephant in the room: nobody in our team can score goals. Most of our goals are from penalties at the minute. If you can’t score goals you can’t win games and you’ll draw too many - that’s how you get relegated. Because the ‘big’ teams will all beat us and we won’t beat anyone else.

Rashford has -failed-. Solskjaer put his faith in him as a number9 and he’s not cut it. And our midfielders look absolutely out of confidence and some of which are, sad to say, not premier league level.

Andreas Pereira and Fred have been atrocious, and I don’t know where we go from here.
Easily. We are the worst team in the league. Ole must be sacked immediately. Worse Utd Manager ever.
Yes we could. It is a serious possibility right now. Do people really think Pogba and Martial will make a major difference - they have also been part of the terrible performances since PSG.
I think we need to bring in Big Sam to be honest. Steady the ship and then plan for next season.
Of course it could happen, let's stop being too arrogant and accept our level
Of course we could with Solskjaer in charge.

He couldn't stabilise a bike.

It's horrifying how clueless he is.
Did anyone really think anything other than this would happen?

It’s inevitable.

Edit: And I can genuinely see us coming close to relegation.
With Ole at the wheel - yes.
With Ole in charge? Absolutely.

Perfect Storm.

- Incapable manager out of his depth.
- Predictable style of play.
- Poor coaches.
- Shit squad.
- Inexperienced kids being relied upon.
- Zero fighters in the entire squad (apart from Maguire and 1-2 others). Nobody with the spine to roll up their sleeves and drag us out of a relegation dogfight.

If Ed bites the bullet, no - we'll get that new manager bounce at the very least and finish around 10th. I think we'll need to actually hit the bottom 3 before Ed fires him though.
This season maybe not

Next season will be even much more difficult to stay up
I don't even want to think about what could happen if we keep Ole rest of the season.
He's going to lose his job sooner rather than later. Hes not the reason we are in this mess but he's certainly not the man to get.us out of it either.
This shambles hasn't been bumped for a few months. Random highlights above

Member 113277

And the good news is that Bournemouth, in 18th, have amassed 27 points from 31 games, have the potential to reach 48, if they win their remaining fixtures.

As we have 49, the great news is that we are now safe from relegation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from a touch of humour, the other reason for sharing this is to show how very different 'mathematically safe' is to 'not going to be relegated'.

lysglimt

Scout
And the good news is that Bournemouth, in 18th, have amassed 27 points from 31 games, have the potential to reach 48, if they win their remaining fixtures.

As we have 49, the great news is that we are now safe from relegation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from a touch of humour, the other reason for sharing this is to show how very different 'mathematically safe' is to 'not going to be relegated'.
And how many clueless idiots there are here - some of the comments made in this thread are really unbelievable

Handré1990

Yes absolutely 100% we can get relegated and will be in a relegation battle with this team.

Nobody is mentioning the elephant in the room: nobody in our team can score goals. Most of our goals are from penalties at the minute. If you can’t score goals you can’t win games and you’ll draw too many - that’s how you get relegated. Because the ‘big’ teams will all beat us and we won’t beat anyone else.

Rashford has -failed-. Solskjaer put his faith in him as a number9 and he’s not cut it. And our midfielders look absolutely out of confidence and some of which are, sad to say, not premier league level.

Andreas Pereira and Fred have been atrocious, and I don’t know where we go from here.
I chuckled when I read this. Particularly the bolded part.

Handré1990

Never been so glad to be wrong.

We were absolutely atrocious at that point though.
Absolutely. I wasn’t confident of us fighting for 4th/3rd at that time, but I’m sure I did say not a chance of even a relegation battle. Also, we seem to have sorted out most of your concerns in that post now, wouldn’t you say?:)

GazTheLegend

Hindsight is easy isn't it though? I have been ardently Ole in throughout but I still genuinely think we were an injury to Rashford away from being close to the relegation zone.

Rashford turned on godmode and started absolutely carrying us and then we got Bruno. Avoiding relegation was my biggest hope at that time because our squad was (and still is in some ways) paper thin

Who would have predicted Fred would suddenly become a proper player or that Brandon Williams would be the revelation he was? Pogbas injury made things look REALLY bleak.

But we came through it and hopefully the only way is up now.

GazTheLegend

O
Absolutely. I wasn’t confident of us fighting for 4th/3rd at that time, but I’m sure I did say not a chance of even a relegation battle. Also, we seem to have sorted out most of your concerns in that post now, wouldn’t you say?:)
Oh for sure. My attitude at the time (as dark as it was) was that this was INCREDIBLY ballsy by Ole - bringing in a load of youth players, relying on a 17 year old kid in greenwood, and so on, and that if we survived the league we'd just make another 3 signings next summer either with Ole or without. Turns out that we are slowly getting coached into something better than the sum of all the mediocre footballers we ever saw under Jose or LVG

Lynty

Hindsight is easy isn't it though? I have been ardently Ole in throughout but I still genuinely think we were an injury to Rashford away from being close to the relegation zone.

Rashford turned on godmode and started absolutely carrying us and then we got Bruno. Avoiding relegation was my biggest hope at that time because our squad was (and still is in some ways) paper thin

Who would have predicted Fred would suddenly become a proper player or that Brandon Williams would be the revelation he was? Pogbas injury made things look REALLY bleak.

Don't take it too hard mate, just playing around. If i'm being perfectly honest, I done a cheeky little search on my name to see if I'd posted anything controversial :wenger:

I knew relegation was an impossibility with the firepower we had. But I did have a wobble in trusting Ole around the Bournemouth game

Handré1990

O
Oh for sure. My attitude at the time (as dark as it was) was that this was INCREDIBLY ballsy by Ole - bringing in a load of youth players, relying on a 17 year old kid in greenwood, and so on, and that if we survived the league we'd just make another 3 signings next summer either with Ole or without. Turns out that we are slowly getting coached into something better than the sum of all the mediocre footballers we ever saw under Jose or LVG
Yeah, he said as much last August about gambling a little to bring the kids in to the fold. One thing looks clear though, our manager recognizes good players, which cannot be said for the other two in their time here.

romufc

Exactly. People forget the position we were in December and early Jan. We were playing crap football, not looking like scoring a goal even if we played for another 2 hours Vs Burnley.

We were reliant on Rashford in every game, we couldn't get past Wolves and had to bring Rashford on and he got injured if anyone remembers?

At that time, we were messing around in getting Bruno, conceding silly goals. A goal went in, confidence dropped, teams sat back and we had 0 shots on target.

We were right to criticise, like we are right to praise what is going on right now. I believed in Ole in terms of if he had the players, but playing Lingard CAM / RW and Perreira was getting us nowhere.

0le

Yup, I was worried at the time.

Don't take it too hard mate, just playing around. If i'm being perfectly honest, I done a cheeky little search on my name to see if I'd posted anything controversial :wenger:

I knew relegation was an impossibility with the firepower we had. But I did have a wobble in trusting Ole around the Bournemouth game
We all post silly things :D. Here is your prediction for top 6:
City
Arsenal
United
Liverpool
Spurs
Wolves

Lynty

It's a forum, ciritism and discussion is what we are here for.

We will be in a relegation fight come March...
...just got to find the light side of all this.

Yup, I was worried at the time.

We all post silly things :D. Here is your prediction for top 6:
Damn you got me :lol: :lol:

Tbf I thought this would be arsenals season, and never thought Liverpool would sustain their record with such a mediocre midfield

romufc

just got to find the light side of all this.
A team that cannot create chances and score goals will always have troubles.
Please quote the whole thing.

This was in October... do I need to remind you the stats in October?

The reason why we have had a resurgence is Bruno - scoring goals. A team that cannot create will have problems. We are now creating.

Did you want me to have a genie hat on and predict we will sign Bruno in Jan?

Lynty

Please quote the whole thing.

This was in October... do I need to remind you the stats in October?

The reason why we have had a resurgence is Bruno - scoring goals. A team that cannot create will have problems. We are now creating.

Did you want me to have a genie hat on and predict we will sign Bruno in Jan?
Bruno didn't save us from relegation. He gave us the lift to get top 4. Your missing a whole load of league positions between the two.

It's perfectly fine to be wrong. I'm wrong often, as seen in my top 6 prediction.

MadMike

If we can't get relegated on the same day Liverpool win the League to take all the media attention away from them I don't want to get relegated, so there.
I don't think that would work out the way you think it would. Them winning the league and us getting relegated on the same day, the Scousers would just cream themselves.

rotherham_red

Wowee :houllier:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You guys have forgotten how bad we were.
To the surprise of no one, the squad is and was always the problem. Coupled with massive injuries and development trajectories over the season for key players: That we are better now with a full strength squad and Bruno Fernandes is not entirely unpredictable.

What is more surprising to me is that De Gea is supposedly "done" after keeping 7 clean sheets in his 8 last Premier League matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.