Could we have challenged for the title this year?

Patrick08

Challenging yes, winning No. There is lot of stuff in the team which needs to be fixed or ironed out.

hocane

One can only dream!

What is most noticable since Ole took over is obviously the points but also the goal difference which is on par with Liverpool.

If the Prem started when Ole took over:

1. Manchester United, 17-4, +13, 18 pts

2. Liverpool, 17-6, +11, 15 pts

3. Tottenham, 17-7, +10, 12 pts

4. Manchester City, 14-7, +7, 12 pts

5. Arsenal, 11-9, +2, 10 pts

6. Southampton, 9-8, +1, 10 pts

7. Chelsea, 5-5, 0, 10 pts

8. Burnley, 8-10, -2, 10 pts

9. Watford, 9-7, -2, 9 pts

10. Leicester City, 8-8, 0, 9 pts

11. Crystal Palace 9-9, 0, 7 pts

12. Wolves, 8-12, -4, 7 pts

13. West Ham, 5-9, -4, 7 pts

14. Bournemouth, 8-14, -6, 7 pts

15. Everton, 10-11, -1, 6 pts

16. Brighton, 5-8, -3, 5 pts

17. Fulham, 5-9, -4, 5 pts

18. Newcastle, 5-9, -4, 5 pts

19. Cardiff, 2-11, -9, 5 pts

20. Huddersfield, 3-12, -9, 1 pts

lex talionis

Interesting question this thread presents.

If we can assume Ole would have had a bad in summer transfers, the answer is yes, we would have been challenging for the PL trophy.

Ole would have secured a proper upgrade at CB, which would have made a huge difference early in the season when all our CBS, especially Bailly, we’re struggling.

The threat title asks whether we would have challenged for the title — not whether we would have run away with it. Yeah, we definitely would have challenged for the title.

Kapardin

We would still be only the third best team in the league. I reckon if Ole had started the season, we would be where Spurs are right now, more or less. Catching City and Liverpool would still require some time.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Challenged is different to winning. No chance this side would win the title but we could have challenged till say December definitely and this side is good enough to comfortable be top 4.

RB, CB, RW and CF away from a title win IMO.. first three minimum are needed.
Challenged is different from winning, but if you think we'd have no chance of winning it then that's not a challenging team, nor is mention of December. A team who challenges for the title does have a chance of winning it even if it's an outside chance. They go into the last 4 or 5 games of the season with at least a hope they might still do it, 6 or 7 points back at the very most pushing the eventual title winners to the last couple of games if they fail to win it themselves.If you don't do that you didn't challenge for the title.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Challenged is different from winning, but if you think we'd have no chance of winning it then that's not a challenging team, nor is mention of December. A team who challenges for the title does have a chance of winning it even if it's an outside chance. They go into the last 4 or 5 games of the season with at least a hope they might still do it, 6 or 7 points back at the very most pushing the eventual title winners to the last couple of games if they fail to win it themselves.If you don't do that you didn't challenge for the title.
That’s a fair point but all I said was that this side would challenge for a while before falling away eventually. So yes not challengers in the true sense of the word - agreed.

red4ever 79

the strikeforce is not just one player. Kane is very strong individually but the combined striekforce of Rashford, Martial, Lingard and potentially Sanchez is better than theirs. Pogba does everything Eriksen does and more - there's no comparisons there. All in all they're not better than us. They're another top 4 challenging team with strengths and weaknesses- just like us.
I had to take a break from the CAF yesterday after reading this. Talk about blind faith

cyberman

We could have challenged like Spurs have challenged but I don't think we would have came close to winning it.
Maybe the argument could be made that a new manager would have had the board backing him last summer in signing a CB and RW but that's just too vague to be a factor.

red4ever 79

We could have challenged like Spurs have challenged but I don't think we would have came close to winning it.
Maybe the argument could be made that a new manager would have had the board backing him last summer in signing a CB and RW but that's just too vague to be a factor.
Would be inclined to agree with you. We would have been around the 3rd spot and not so many points behind the top two, but we are still a distance way from them. I feel like every summer we say we need players, and have been saying that since SAF left. Needed this summer would be a RB, CB, RW at a minimum. Ideally you would add a CDM and a LB to that but I cant see that happening.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think so. Despite our 2nd placed finish, as a collective we are far behind City and Liverpool and it'll take some time for a new manager to build that. It's essentially what Mourinho failed at. That doesn't get fixed instantly.

Treble

People are taking for granted that Ole is a better manager than Jose. Sure, he is better than the infamous 3rd year version of Jose but is he better in general?

I very much hope that he is but to form such an opinion on the basis of 7-8 games strikes me as naive.

Basically, Ole is still an unknown quantity and to expect him to go toe-to-toe with Klopp and Guardilola is quite optimistic. He might turn out to be their equal but it is too early to tell.

Jeffthered

People are taking for granted that Ole is a better manager than Jose. Sure, he is better than the infamous 3rd year version of Jose but is he better in general?

I very much hope that he is but to form such an opinion on the basis of 7-8 games strikes me as naive.

Basically, Ole is still an unknown quantity and to expect him to go toe-to-toe with Klopp and Guardilola is quite optimistic. He might turn out to be their equal but it is too early to tell.
Good post.

Foxbatt

Look at the games we lost under Jose and the same kind of games we won under Ole. We may have been beaten by Liverpool away and City away but the rest were all winnable matches. That would put us where Liverpool is right now.

Aarron Swift

Comfortably 3rd I feel, maybe even close to City’s current points (sadly feel like they’d push away leaving us quite far behind Top 2 come end of the season). Overall impossible to say, had Ole started season at the helm we may not be on this winning run right now, the odd disappointing draw or defeat may have had an affect on the players, I’m a huge fan of Ole, love the change it mood & atmosphere, maybe even a little more than improved style & great results! but everything has been close to perfect for Utd since he arrived so (hope it doesn’t) when a draw or defeat comes against a side we feel we should be beating happens, that’ll be telling as to how much we’ve improved under Ole.

What I would say, is when/if an unexpected bad result comes, it’s not the end of world, doesn’t mean we’re terrible or the winning streak gave a false sense of improvement. Even at our best under Fergie, the seasons we dominated there were a few shocking results that in this day and age gets blown up over social media & deemed a crisis with calls for a manager to get fired. A few results that stick out for me

2011/12 - 1-0 Defeat away to Wigan which would have basically sealed the League Title
2009/10 - Leeds at Home FA Cup 3rd Round
2006/7 Carling Cup - Southend
2005/06 - Bottom of Champions League Group Containing Lille, Villareal & Benfica
2003/04 - Porto Champions League (Went on to Win but still shocking when it happened)
1995/96 - League Cup York City

So rather than thinking we’d be champions had we been playing like this since the start and equally let’s not get carried away in the opposite direction when the run ends, let’s enjoy watching a United that for the 1st time since Sir Alex actually looks like it is full of players enjoying their football & as fans we we are finally excited & looking forward to the next game again!

Reactions: Carolina Red

bonothom

I may have missed this thread among all the others, but it has really got me thinking with this incredible run of form.

If we had Ole at the start of the season, could we have genuinely had a go at the title? Would we have been around Spurs level in third?

I’m going to be honest, I don’t see much difference in our squad and Liverpools. This is something we laughed at them for years for, because all indications show that we are miles behind them. However, if we had Ole and they had a midtable manager like Mourinho for more of the season with the same squads, I reckon we would be above them.
I honestly think Mourinhos constant moaning, negative team selections and tactics cost United 12 points this season. That would have put us on the same as City and 4 behind the scousers. They would have definitely been in the title race had it not been for the poisonous one. Wouldn't it be great if Solskjaers United went on to beat the 81 points Mourinho got last season. How bad would the Portuguese prat look then having overseen such a terrible start.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It is quite amusing to see United fans go through exactly the same motions we've been going through over the years.

The present phase is much like when Kenny first took over from Hodgson.

Fastnfurious

Supports
Liverpool
You have a decent squad, but you are not on par with us and certainly not with City. To compare with Liverpool, you need to find a VVD, a Robertson and also a forward who averages a goal per game like Salah - then you might compete for the title. Rashford is flying atm but he doesn’t win you enough games. Having that player (Salah, Aguero, Kane) is worth 12-15 points at least.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
In a word No. Not with our defence, not with our midfield and not with our attack.
That said we should be higher than we are.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No. Unless the OP sees in OGS the ability to forge a team that has a consistent system ala Klopp and Guardiola and Pochettino (the only thing holding Poch back is squad depth and a bit more quality to their first side). I'd have to see more games to determine that. Didn't watch him at Molde and Cardiff unfortunately

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We would still be only the third best team in the league. I reckon if Ole had started the season, we would be where Spurs are right now, more or less. Catching City and Liverpool would still require some time.
That is how I see it, United and Tottenham seem quite similar although I do feel that we have a stronger squad while their first team are better.

Ole maintains our target is third which is perfectly realistic.
We have to hope that they struggle with their injuries and we do not but yet again they managed to find a way to win against Fulham.

Eric7C

It is quite amusing to see United fans go through exactly the same motions we've been going through over the years.

Ole > Kenny :p

But yes there have been quite a few false dawns since Fergie left and fans (including me) have begun to clutch at any positives we can find. We are top of the form league right now for example :lol:

Though it has to be said that we have also managed to win a few cups in these 'disaster' years unlike Pool :wenger:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sauldogba

Yes.
If liverpool can i dont see why we cant.
I mean there squad isnt that much better than ours.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Doubt it, we are still some way off, particularly in terms of exerting full control over games. We've done well but had a monster DDG performance vs. Spurs and a couple of games were we worryingly lost a grip of games which looked done and dusted. That's not champions form, more like a very welcome purple patch and foundations to build on.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

We finished above you last season chum. All this talk about us being miles behind you and City is completely overblown as will be witnessed throughout the rest of the season and into next.

sam147

We could've achieved top 4. Jose is right when he said 2nd was a great achievement. The only thing is since he didnt get his players in the summer he spread negativity all through preseason. In a way he did get the fans to stand up to Woodwards incompetence but all it took was him being sacked and signing a legend to be manager for people to forget about the leeches at the club. We signed Fred, Dalot and Grant ffs. Is that the kind of summer we need to challenge? No. Woodward thought he knew better though. But once again another manager gone and Woodward still leeching money for the glazers with his Vincent Kompany sized head. We need a world class CB, we need a top quality LB, with Darmian leaving and Dalot being 19 we need a RB at the right age like Hysaj. We need a RW, we have Lingard starting there. The guys older than Pogba. He goes missing a lot. Is not the best finisher. Cant cross and he doesnt have the best vision. He is a 'link player' yeah sure for a club like Everton maybe but not United. I'd keep him for cover but not as a starter, he has poor output. They are all priority positions. Matic also needs cover but it seems mastermind Woodward believes McNothing will be good enough.

Eric7C

We finished above you last season chum. All this talk about us being miles behind you and City is completely overblown as will be witnessed throughout the rest of the season and into next.
He was just demonstrating the point in this post - Liverpool fans getting giddy before they have won anything!
:angel:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

:lol:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
QED

Valencia Shin Crosses

Third looking in. I didn’t - and still don’t - think the gulf in quality between our squad and Liverpool’s is much at all, really.
Really comes down to VVD for me. Pogba gives our midfield the edge and the attacks are similar, with Salah being the best out of the bunch. But VVD allows them to be much more solid at the back than we are, and I think they have better fullbacks than us as well.

Sing you a song

If it's "regardless of manager" then how is it that the squad you put us level with is currently 7 points clear?
Regardless of who the manager is going forward ( Ole or Poch ) I think the squad is as good as Liverpool’s.Jose had just given up on them and couldn’t motivate them hence why we are so far behind the scousers ,
But the addition of 2/3 players would give us a squad capable of challenging for the prem

RedIan

I think we are on par with spurs, chelsea and asenal atm. City are way ahead of us and it pains me to say it but so are Liverpool.
Im enjoying the resurgence under oles attacking philosopy but when we are defending you can see limitations in the midfield and defence. We are at least 4 players real quality players short of being challangers. Centre half, RFB, RW and holding midfield/playmaker - thats without examining the strikers. Id sell lukaku and buy a quality striker who can not only finish but link play. Lukaku has his attributes but link up isnt one of them.
in SAF day we always had 4 top strikers to rotate, we are short in that department.

Sell fellani/lukaku/darmian/rojo/ - replace with better Quality players

Smores

No of course not. Challenging for 2nd and finishing 3rd is where we should have been with this squad and defence.

Unless we make some significant investment then that'll be Ole's (or new manager) realistic target next season.