Counter-attack thriving under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Tarrou

3 breaks in 17 matches, with the players he had at his disposal, is just absolutely shocking from Jose

all credit to Ole for turning it around so quickly

jem

Exactly what we did under Fergie. One lad on here has claimed recently that he'd watched plenty of our games from treble-winning season and that we hoofed it a lot. Easy to be mistaken for direct, long balls out wide or into the channels that immediately help the transition. The recent concept that you need to play it neat and tidy and exchange million passes needs to go. This Ole's football is far better to watch, even if you risk losing the ball immediately after getting it back.
Mourinho's attack was like this:
While Ole's attack is more like this:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm really really intrigued to see if Sanchez can get Lingard's place, and play as our false 9 as Lingard did yesterday in majority of first half.
I do hope he gets a proper opportunity there. It may or may not end up working, but it is the position that he has the best chance of rediscovering his form in. Only problem is that in most games we'll probably want to continue with Rashford in that spot.

worldinmotion66

H should give a shit because I think talk like that harm his chances of getting the job permanently.
The board were strong enough to appoint him when very few others were talking about him, I don't think they will be easily influenced by the media narrative.

Handré1990

Yes better teams is what we have to play and win. So in my opinion right now we did not have an answer yesterday but Ole said he knows what happened. But I feel that we do not have players on the bench to counter these kind of tactical changes from other teams. I am also not happy with our passing but I guess we did not practice passing before Ole came.
I wish he would hire a defensive coach like Vidic to help with the CBs.
This is it really. We didn’t have players to change the game vs a top team (on the bench). Also factoring in Jones and you get a sense of why it was chaos at times. With a few upgrades in personnel, we might just have an answer next time.

NotQuiteManc

But, but I thought Ole got a rather easy job, for a rookie-no-experience-at-all manager and all he has to do is smile to the cameras. :angel:
No need for tactics, eh?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
This is the best counter attacking team we've had since around 10/11 imo. Lacking a fair bit of composure and end product to reach the heights of 08/09, hopefully that will come with experience. Great foundation to build from, especially when it comes to success in Europe and domestic cup competitions.

RUCK4444

This is the best counter attacking team we've had since around 10/11 imo. Lacking a fair bit of composure and end product to reach the heights of 08/09, hopefully that will come with experience. Great foundation to build from, especially when it comes to success in Europe and domestic cup competitions.
I tend to agree with you, but in a sense we have never been so reliant on counterattacks as our main source of goals.

That said I love counterattacking football, when it’s done well it’s breathtaking.

In my opinion when you think of a good United side they should always be deadly on the counter. One of my fave goals is the Ronaldo and Rooney goal vs Arsenal in the CL. Simply awesome.

Dan James has been a big bonus for us in this respect. What a bargain the lad is.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Have fast players, have fast breaks. Who would have thought?