Cover/competition at left back

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think it's fairly obvious that we lack authentic competition at left back. Never mind if Shaw picks up an injury.

I don't think Young is good enough there (yes, he did alright in that defensive setup for England, but he's declined rapidly since then and he's rash as f). And Dalot has enough work to just find his feet in his natural position.

Is there anyone from the youth setup who might be ready?

dutchred

I think it's fairly obvious that we lack authentic competition at left back. Never mind if Shaw picks up an injury.

I don't think Young is good enough there (yes, he did alright in that defensive setup for England, but he's declined rapidly since then and he's rash as f). And Dalot has enough work to just find his feet in his natural position.

Is there anyone from the youth setup who might be ready?
Williams and O"Connor

Irwin99

Young and either Dalot or, if he's STILL here, Darmian will be lb back up. Actually those players will be the back up for right back too. Not exactly inspiring and i'm honestly expecting 40+ games from Young considering our Europa League campaign and if Shaw picks up a few injuries.

We will just have to hope Shaw stays fit and plays well which isn't that unrealistic.

Web of Bissaka

From the youth, most likely..

Lee O'Connor
Dylan Levitt

Reasons?
1) If I recall correctly, these two are versatile and did play at LB youth level.
2) Both or one of them joined Gomes, Garner, Chong and Greenwood in first team trainings near the end of last season. In a way, that meant they're close to breaking through and the next ones.
3) Giggs called up Dylan Levitt to Welsh NT, so for sure Ryan will be ringing in to Ole's ears with praises. Better reputation in international football for Dylan to make his name.
4) LB is perhaps the most 'open' position now in the first team for our youth to break through.

Best bet at Levitt.

Fosu-Mens

We could upgrade on Shaw quite easily.
Yeah, but remember that we cannot work on more than one deal at the time (unless commercial deals) and each deal takes between 2-3 weeks to complete.

Jokes aside: Not difficult to find a left back that would offer more on the ball and contribution when the team is in possession.

dutchred

From the youth, most likely..

Lee O'Connor
Dylan Levitt

Reasons?
1) If I recall correctly, these two are versatile and did play at LB youth level.
2) Both or one of them joined Gomes, Garner, Chong and Greenwood in first team trainings near the end of last season. In a way, that meant they're close to breaking through and the next ones.
3) Giggs called up Dylan Levitt to Welsh NT, so for sure Ryan will be ringing in to Ole's ears with praises. Better reputation in international football for Dylan to make his name.
4) LB is perhaps the most 'open' position now in the first team for our youth to break through.

Best bet at Levitt.
Levitt is a midfielder

Web of Bissaka

Reality,
Competition - Captain Young vs Shaw
Cover - Dalot
Back-up 1 - Rojo
Back-up 2 - Darmian

What I want to see,
Competition - Shaw vs Dalot (this is enough to last till end season. Won't be consistent though, not that we have much choice.)
Cover 1- Tuanzebe (*if we're not using him at CB.)
Cover 2 - try the youths.
Cover 3 - Darmian (*if we still insist on keeping him, at least he can defend.)
Back-up - Young
(nothing against Young, no way we're winning the big competitions, nor the small ones with Young leading, don't see the point wasting a spot nor time for him. Plan for the future. We're building a long-term team anyway. Young is just so inconsistent now, like a wild card... but with more disadvantages and low chances to hit. It's just not stable thus not reliable. Darmian ahead of him because of assured defensive stability. Young is "will he defend well today or not, will he attack well today or not.")

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Young will leave next year, and Dalot can cover also if required.

We definitely need one next year at very least.

What happen to Demitri Mitchell?
Long term injury.

diarm

There are players available who would improve our squad and aren't priced unreasonably.

Tierney and Firpo are reportedly available for in and around £30m. If we're willing to spend a bit more there are the likes of Chillwell or Digne.

It's whether or not we have the funds available after the crucial gaps in the squad are fixed. Hard to justify spending on a back up LB when we're missing first choice players at CB, CM and RW.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Williams and O"Connor
I know O'Connor is away with Ireland u19 now but why wasn't Brandon Williams brought into the pre-season squad given that this is an area where we are lacking any quality in depth? Is he not ready? I seem to recall he travelled to Paris (could be wrong).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Young is fine as depth/back up. Especially when you consider that Dalot can also cover. Dalot and Young as 3rd and 4th choice full back is more than fine.

The bigger concern is a lack of clear starting players, as Shaw is meh, but still young and can improve so wouldn't expect anything for a while.

dutchred

I know O'Connor is away with Ireland u19 now but why wasn't Brandon Williams brought into the pre-season squad given that this is an area where we are lacking any quality in depth? Is he not ready? I seem to recall he travelled to Paris (could be wrong).
I suppose you are always limited with how many you can take on tour. If too many then no-one gets enough time. I feel that some of the older defenders ( Rojo etc) are taken as show pieces for eventual sale

Dante

Average bang
I'm still not convinced by Dalot. He's one of the worst passers I've ever seen in or around the first XI at United. When the ball is at his feet, I never have faith it'll find a man in a red shirt.

Young was shit today, too, mind you. But he's at least shown he has a bit more to his game.

All that being said, it's a decent enough mix of age/experience on the bench to go into the season. Some games require youthful exuberence, whilst others require level-headed leadership. We've got the choice of both. I'm very happy with Shaw and AWB ahead of them in the pecking order.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I suppose you are always limited with how many you can take on tour. If too many then no-one gets enough time. I feel that some of the older defenders ( Rojo etc) are taken as show pieces for eventual sale
Sure. He's taken all 6 centre backs. And 3 full backs. Rojo maybe the 4th full back in this equation. I do hope the reason we're not adding depth at left back is because someone is coming through rather than rely on Young/Dalot there. Neither naturally left footed, one rapidly declining and the other just needing to learn his own position before being experimented with too much.

You think Williams is physically ready? Also, has O'Connor been deployed at left back?

passing-wind

Tiereny would be a good rotational player, I think his aspirations however would be to gain first team football.

dutchred

Sure. He's taken all 6 centre backs. And 3 full backs. Rojo maybe the 4th full back in this equation. I do hope the reason we're not adding depth at left back is because someone is coming through rather than rely on Young/Dalot there. Neither naturally left footed, one rapidly declining and the other just needing to learn his own position before being experimented with too much.

You think Williams is physically ready? Also, has O'Connor been deployed at left back?
Williams is a tiger. United heart and soul. O"Connor has played several positions but I this left back or left Central Defender may be best for him

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Tierney would start over Shaw, assuming that he can reach the same level as he had before this injury-ridden season.
I think the same. Think Shaw would have a real challenge on his hands with Tierney, who is probably a much bigger talent.

Williams is a tiger. United heart and soul. O"Connor has played several positions but I this left back or left Central Defender may be best for him
Sounds excellent. Hopefully this is their year.

Andersons Dietician

I don’t know what YouTube videos you guys have been watching or if this is the Robertson effect but in no world would Tierney start over Shaw. Would it be good to have Tierney yes it would but as a Scots man I’d rather see him go somewhere where he would play and he isn’t going to start over Shaw.

We have Dalot who can play LB and until he leaves their is also Young and there are kids coming through. We don’t need a LB.

bucky

Mentioned him several times, I think Aaron Martin from Mainz would be a good signing. He probably wouldn't cost as much and he has the talent to replace Shaw. Even if he doesn't, I'd imagine he would be a good backup.

poleglass red

Tierney is legit, anyone saying he isn't quality either hasn't watched him or has their own SPL teams bias against him. Problem I have right now with him. Had a bad season injury wise, always concerns me when they are so young, because he's had a couple of different injuries. He's had consistent pain by his own admission in his hips which led to a recent double hernia op. Celtic want good coin for him, I think he'd be best staying at Celtic for this coming season, get a good number of games under his belt then move next season, he's still young enough to do that. When fit though quality player.

StrettyEnder07

I can see Dalot/Young covering Shaw this season and I think left back will be one of the positions looked at next summer alongside RW (all this on the assumption of course that we do actually sign a CB and at least a DMC this summer).

Tierney at Celtic for 25M would be a good option next summer.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Young should not be making any appearances for us ever again. It was painfully obvious yesterday that he's not capable of fulfilling the requirements of a left back. He can ping the ball around nicely but tracking back is beyond him now.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There are players available who would improve our squad and aren't priced unreasonably.

Tierney and Firpo are reportedly available for in and around £30m. If we're willing to spend a bit more there are the likes of Chillwell or Digne.

It's whether or not we have the funds available after the crucial gaps in the squad are fixed. Hard to justify spending on a back up LB when we're missing first choice players at CB, CM and RW.
Digne has been very good whenever I've seen him, but even so I couldn't say with any confidence that any of those players are definitely better than Shaw....

diarm

Digne has been very good whenever I've seen him, but even so I couldn't say with any confidence that any of those players are definitely better than Shaw....
No I'd agree. I suggested those four as players who would improve the squad. At the moment we have Shaw and nothing good behind him.

khoazany

O'connor was away with Ireland U19s, and he's better on the right than in the left. Laird just came back from injuries, and he's also better in the right. Williams perhaps not rated enough to be promoted to the first team at 18, and we already have too many players around his age in and around first team. We didn't even get Levitt on tour who's outstanding last season.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
No I'd agree. I suggested those four as players who would improve the squad. At the moment we have Shaw and nothing good behind him.
Can't argue with that. I suspect the clubs view is that we have bigger concerns to address this summer

Jonty

Another backer for Tierney here. If we want to challenge we should have real competition for every spot on the team. Bring in Tierney and let him and Shaw push each other on.

Jig1234

We should be signing Tierney. Luke Shaw is terrible. He didn't really deserve a POTY last season. Defensively suspect but the thing that baffles me is his lack of influence going forward. He actually offers less going forward than YOUNG. You'd think with his age and attributes he would be more explosive going forward. I think he plays too safe. He does not play with risk, this kills our left side counters

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We should be signing Tierney. Luke Shaw is terrible. He didn't really deserve a POTY last season. Defensively suspect but the thing that baffles me is his lack of influence going forward. He actually offers less going forward than YOUNG. You'd think with his age and attributes he would be more explosive going forward. I think he plays safe and gets into trouble.
I don't rate Shaw that highly but I think calling him terrible is ridiculous. He's solid, he's got to be in the top 6 LBs in the league at least. Whether he's any better than that is the question.

DoomSlayer

If the topic of the thread displeases you then just don't post in it
I'm interested in the issue at hand and my opinion is that people here are not being realistic or fair. Not sure why you are trying to shut me down.

I'm fine with fans not liking Shaw but ultimately he was never going to be replaced this summer, never. There is a reason Young was given a new 1-year contract.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm interested in the issue at hand and my opinion is that people here are not being realistic or fair. Not sure why you are trying to shut me down.

I'm fine with fans not liking Shaw but ultimately he was never going to be replaced this summer, never. There is a reason Young was given a new 1-year contract.
I'm good with Shaw being first choice but I'm worried about injuries and suspensions (he seemed to pick up quite a few yellows last season) leaving us with Young as cover. He looked completely incapable of keeping up physically yesterday.

dutchred

We should be signing Tierney. Luke Shaw is terrible. He didn't really deserve a POTY last season. Defensively suspect but the thing that baffles me is his lack of influence going forward. He actually offers less going forward than YOUNG. You'd think with his age and attributes he would be more explosive going forward. I think he plays too safe. He does not play with risk, this kills our left side counters
Luke isn't terrible. Tierney has had serious injury problems and they might not go away completely. He may not be the same player as before

TsuWave

I don’t think Luke Shaw is good enough/of the required standard

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We need first choice full back, not cover for full back. I agree that it is not priority because Shaw is a good player and i am not unhappy with him but in future we need to upgrade that position with fb who can provide something in attack, not just in defence.