Covid-19: Are we overreacting to this virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suedesi

Are we overreacting to this virus ? Serious question

I'm looking at latest NYC death data:

We had 1139 deaths the other day and only 14 people had no underlying conditions. So how do we know for sure that the virus has played a significant role in the disease or death? In other words, are we reporting virus-related deaths as soon as it is established that the virus was present at the time of death regardless of other factors? Is anyone establishing the causal chain? Is a stage IV cancer patient with corona who dies classed as a virus death or a cancer death? Why are Germany and Sweden numbers so vastly different to Italy and Spain?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
People can live many years with diabetes, hypertension, asthma, heart diseases and all those other diseases bar cancer. You probably underestimate how many people have at least 1 of these diseases and are therefore ‘vulnerable’. Apparently over 46% Americans have hypertension, 10% have diabetes, not sure about other numbers but I’d imagine if you tried to combine all who have at least 1 of them you would be getting well over 60% if not much higher.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Ask the friends and family of the 50,000 who have died due to covid19....

nimic

something nice
Scout
You're using New York as an example, so here's a question for you: is the New York health system overwhelmed? The answer is yes, despite strict measures. There is no scenario where not "overreacting"/implementing strict measures would lead to a health system which isn't overwhelmed. There are, on the other hand, plenty of scenarios where it would be far worse. So in the end this isn't really a question of deaths, it's a question of health care capacity. If the capacity is blown by critically ill Coronavirus patients, then that affects everyone else.

In other words: no.

Suedesi

You're using New York as an example, so here's a question for you: is the New York health system overwhelmed? The answer is yes, despite strict measures. There is no scenario where not "overreacting"/implementing strict measures would lead to a health system which isn't overwhelmed. There are, on the other hand, plenty of scenarios where it would be far worse. So in the end this isn't really a question of deaths, it's a question of health care capacity. If the capacity is blown by critically ill Coronavirus patients, then that affects everyone else.

In other words: no.
Fair enough. How long do you keep the strict measures in place to allow the health system to catch up with the caseload? July? August? November?

Not trying to be callous of the deaths/suffering, but if this lockdown remains in place for an extended period, you'll have social order breakdown and bigger problems than the virus...

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Fair enough. How long do you keep the strict measures in place to allow the health system to catch up with the caseload? July? August? November?

Not trying to be callous of the deaths/suffering, but if this lockdown remains in place for an extended period, you'll have social order breakdown and bigger problems than the virus...
Can you describe the alternative and its possible consequences?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
No.

My sister is a high nurse, and she's just been on the phone to me in tears. She works in a major east London hospital and they've today briefed people on the ventilator situation and who to prioritise. It's not fecking pretty to say the least, and you won't be asking this question when all the stats don't help someone you love...

If you want an example of what the virus can do when its left to roam free, look at Bergamo. Last year 125 people died in March. This year, 556. If you're ok with a quadrupling of the death toll in every country this hits then yes, we are overreacting.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I will post this picture, this is what arrived in New York, the USNS Comfort. You don't see these type of things in normal circumstances.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yes, it is a flu.

And who cares for people with underlying conditions anyway, considering that they are going to die? In fact, even people without underlying conditions are going to die eventually, so the virus is not doing anything new.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Found out tonight someone I know died from the virus and their husband is now in hospital too. I think this will happen to everybody at some point.

I don't think we are reacting enough to be honest.

fergieisold

I think the response so far is appropriate. There’s no cause to be overly concerned if you are in good health and relatively young. However clearly this virus is killing a lot more people than would be killed by the seasonal flu.

my boss is in hospital, I know of 2 people that have died of this (Friends family). This clearly isn’t just the flu.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Yes, it is a flu.

And who cares for people with underlying conditions anyway, considering that they are going to die? In fact, even people without underlying conditions are going to die eventually, so the virus is not doing anything new.
I can't tell if this is a sarcastic post or not? I hope so.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I’ve been saying this and not many agree but I think we keep them until there is treatment or vaccine, maybe loosening up for a few weeks once and again. If it’s 3 years from now, you keep them for 3 years.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure I see the need for this thread. The same thing is discussed in the main thread and I doubt this will stay on the specific topic anyway.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Oh boy. It was only a matter of time before a thread like this popped up.

It can probably be filed in the conspiracy thread for now.

Enigma_87

You know who
Oh boy. It was only a matter of time before a thread like this popped up.

It can probably be filed in the conspiracy thread for now.
It’s not conspiracy but a very valid question.

A lot of hospitals are closed and quarantined and people with underlying conditions are dying because they are of dire need of medical help that they can’t get due to the measures.

We have many cases being reported worldwide for people died or dying because they can’t receive help and almost all medical help is diverted to the corona patients -it’s extremely contagious and they get sick too, etc.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Over a million cases and over 51,000 deaths.

No we're not overreacting.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

A lot of hospitals are closed and quarantined and people with underlying conditions are dying because they are of dire need of medical help that they can’t get due to the measures.

We have many cases being reported worldwide for people died or dying because they can’t receive help and almost all medical help is diverted to the corona patients -it’s extremely contagious and they get sick too, etc.
This is a valid concern. We had few people dying here already because directors of our few hospitals took the situation too seriously(even though you can't ever be too serious about this virus) and didn't want to admit patients who would normally be admitted, in which they end up dying in their house without even being admitted to the hospital, and our hospitals are still nowhere near full capacity. They just didn't want to risk and thought they will be fine.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Are we overreacting to this virus ? Serious question

I'm looking at latest NYC death data:

We had 1139 deaths the other day and only 14 people had no underlying conditions. So how do we know for sure that the virus has played a significant role in the disease or death? In other words, are we reporting virus-related deaths as soon as it is established that the virus was present at the time of death regardless of other factors? Is anyone establishing the causal chain? Is a stage IV cancer patient with corona who dies classed as a virus death or a cancer death? Why are Germany and Sweden numbers so vastly different to Italy and Spain?
If anything, I think deaths are being under reported.

so in a nutshell no

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Why are people more worried about economics than people dying?

as I type this, it’s reported that there are now over 1 million cases worldwide.

imagine where this would be if there was no restrictions and business as usual

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

So what is the question if it is not as shown in the title of thread?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
So you're one of those guys huh?

Take a look at the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.