Covid Goal Celebrations

SirAnderson

So, not sure if this was posted in another thread but couldn't find it.

Heard that no hugging or huddling together is allow as part of celebrating a goal as a team, among the other social distancing practices like no hand shakes, no shirt swapping etc.

Is it just me or does this seem dumb? You literally playing a contact sport! Sure don't shake the hands of the opposition, but no hugging the same teammates you have been in a bubble with and in training every day? Seems a bit silly to be honest.

I'm sure there are others that feel different, would like to know your view of it.

Also, will be fun to see what kind of solo or social distanced celebrations will come of this, I can imagine it will be cringe as hell some of them. If you come across any, do post it :)

in isolation it sounds stupid - but I think it’s more the bigger picture in trying to show they are doing as much as possible. A small no. of thick as pigshit footballers have brought this on.

Therefore, I’d suggest it’s far better not to go partying or hire prostitutes than not to celebrate...

Nothing wrong trying to do this, but in the heat of the moment, you aren’t thinking when you score that goal.

fully expecting Cavani to score, give someone a handshake and get a three match ban. Whilst Spurs players “get reminded of their responsibilities” when out and about getting caught breaking Covid rules and having parties.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's very dumb and pointless, other than it might bring attention to the need to socially distance, for those people who have just woken up from a 12 month coma.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Football is just being targeted again because of the idiots who have broken protocols.

They're tested twice a week and wouldn't be playing if they had covid. Players hugging each other after scoring does not put the public at risk in any way or the other players for that matter because they've been tested.

Having parties and flying in brass from other countries does however and this kind of behaviour should be severely punished with bans and fines.

Can't they just vaccinate them all anyway?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I'm not going to call people idiots for breaking protocols. Because we ain't sheep. And no one is perfect. And asking if we could just 'vax' them...they've human rights. But I think what's important is they probably still flick each others butts with wet towls and so the world goes round. In all seriousness, goals trigger people. Games trigger people. Supporters get triggered when goals go in. Footballs, like actors and the like are not role models. Never were never are. It's a money making industry. That's all. It certainly helps during forced lock downs but it's not nothing more.

Also when we score, i'd never want to meet the people who say to themselves...remember lads, it's only a game. No touching. Please. No touching....cause most people watching the games are either celebrating or moaning. These are human emotions that don't always go in bed well with being 'robotic and rational'. No one has a right to enforce their opinion on anyone else. No one.

Just to add, it's funny when you look at Grealish and what happened with him in the summer. When he broke rules and he was so many bad things. Now, it's relatively forgotten and yeah he's a good player etc. There's lessons to be learnt there. That is: 1) Footballers aren't role models 2) Everyone makes mistake. Everyone 3) Life goes on. But if they make out that everyone has to get vax, to get back to normalcy (which won't happen as long as people don't recognize how weak minded we have become). Let's not throw stones.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So you can stand in a wall, smash someone in a challenge landing in a heap together,or grapple at corners, but you can't touch and make sweet love after a goal.

Got it.

Josep Dowling

So, not sure if this was posted in another thread but couldn't find it.

Heard that no hugging or huddling together is allow as part of celebrating a goal as a team, among the other social distancing practices like no hand shakes, no shirt swapping etc.

Is it just me or does this seem dumb? You literally playing a contact sport! Sure don't shake the hands of the opposition, but no hugging the same teammates you have been in a bubble with and in training every day? Seems a bit silly to be honest.

I'm sure there are others that feel different, would like to know your view of it.

Also, will be fun to see what kind of solo or social distanced celebrations will come of this, I can imagine it will be cringe as hell some of them. If you come across any, do post it :)
All common sense has been lost during this pandemic. They train with each other, eat with each other, in the tunnel with opposition, during corners they all stand next to each other. Yet the line must now be drawn on a goal celebration?

El Zoido

It's so pointless. If they can't even celebrate a goal then just stop the games.

djembatheking

Football is just being targeted again because of the idiots who have broken protocols.

They're tested twice a week and wouldn't be playing if they had covid. Players hugging each other after scoring does not put the public at risk in any way or the other players for that matter because they've been tested.

Having parties and flying in brass from other countries does however and this kind of behaviour should be severely punished with bans and fines.

I don`t agree with vaccinating them until vulnerable people, health and care workers, shop workers, teachers and other essential workers have been vaccinated.

Fluctuation0161

Football is being targeted again because the government are trying to deflect blame again. Just like they did at the start of the pandemic.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

I don`t agree with vaccinating them until vulnerable people, health and care workers, shop workers, teachers and other essential workers have been vaccinated.
They shouldn't be vaccinated before those you listed, I wasn't trying to suggest that. I don't see why they can't be done afterwards.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
As a message and reminder to the general public and needing to set an example, I get it.

In practice, its dumb. They get tested regularly and if they're on the pitch, you have to just assume covid isn't there and let them play as normal and celebrate as normal (large amount of that is instinctive anyway). Because stopping celebrations won't change any potential spread that might be present, though id say its really low anyway.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The idea that it's cool to spit on the pitch but not swap shirts is pretty baffling.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Better stop it altogether. It makes no fecking sense whatsoever. Just because people would see footballers do that doesn't mean it will have an impact.
Stupid decision :lol:

kouroux

As a message and reminder to the general public and needing to set an example, I get it.

In practice, its dumb. They get tested regularly and if they're on the pitch, you have to just assume covid isn't there and let them play as normal and celebrate as normal (large amount of that is instinctive anyway). Because stopping celebrations won't change any potential spread that might be present, though id say its really low anyway.
The general public is suffocated with those messages about safety. More isn't gonna do anything

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The general public is suffocated with those messages about safety. More isn't gonna do anything
Footballers will always be role models to kids though, and they'll just copy them whatever it is. So it doesn't hurt (and it's very different from just the government saying so), but its also something that can't be policed at all from the players POV which is why I think its dumb.

kouroux

Footballers will always be role models to kids though, and they'll just copy them whatever it is. So it doesn't hurt (and it's very different from just the government saying so), but its also something that can't be policed at all from the players POV which is why I think its dumb.
I think you overestimate that role and specially in this context. The people who act like assholes aren't the ones who are emulating the footballers (those would be young kids).
The age group targeted by this will not care onz bit if footballers don't hug during goal celebrations

BlahRules

Celebrating a goal should not be an issue when you're right up peoples face during the game. They should start giving default win when a team deliberately break the COVID rules outside of football.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
They shouldn't be hugging. I don't want them punished when they briefly forget but it should be made clear they're being told not to and if they seem to ignore that completely then they deserve sanction.

paulscholes18

Should be no issues with hugging as Rugby is still being played, they grapple during scrums, lift each other up at line-outs etc

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
What level of football is still being played? I doubt national League players are being tested twice a week.

What tests are they using?

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
As a person who hates physical contact from colleagues and acquaintances, I’m all for anything that helps to stomp out this cancer from society. Huggers are worse than Hitler.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It'd be pointless. Football is a contact sport and players spit and breath out on the field.
Just finish the league and give the trophy to the 1st place team then the players can stay at home with their families.. no contact sports until herd immunity.

Josep Dowling

In some respects I disagree. I’m sure many will see it as millionaires skipping the queue for the vaccine (let’s not act that hasn’t happened already) but they are one of the few professions being forced to carry on and mix with large groups of people. It seems only right they get the vaccinations sooner than a lot of people, provided the league paid for it.

BarstoolProphet

Guess C.Ronaldo and Berbatov were just ahead of their time during C.Ronaldo's last season at United.