Television Cowboy Bebop (2021 live action Netflix remake)

Dante

Average bang

A full 10 episode season of this is getting released tomorrow.

Why? Just why?

The anime is one of the greatest stand alone bits of TV ever created. You can't improve on perfection.

But I'll be watching it regardless. Really hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

If any of you haven't seen the original, do yourselves a favour and watch it.

lilcurt

I have always wanted to watch the original but haven't. Think I will give that a viewing first, believe it's back on Netflix UK now.

stevoc

Was the main character Asian in the original animated version?

It's been a long time since I watched it and it's hard to tell with Anime sometimes.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I don't think it really matters. I like the casting nonetheless and the direction does seem to capture what made the anime so unique at the time.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Watched the first ep and it was decent but I don't think the actors can quite pull off the roles required. I might watch a few more eps.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Doesn't look terrible but it looks a bit too much like a Netflix show and that's a weird mix for a show like Bebop.

The anime is pretty wild and not particularly cohesive most of the time. It has an overarching story but most episodes are singular structured in a way that builds character development rather than focuses on overarching plot. I always assumed it was meant to be like that because of the jazz links. Or French New Wave if you like because it's got lots of that in it.

I find most of the interesting moments in Bebop are inbetwen the action, in the pauses that slow things down. I mean how do you translate episodes like the one where they all go to a mushroom farm and trip wildly to a live-action series? I guess they'll avoid it but they'll be avoiding a lot of what makes the original show great and weird.

Still as I said, it doesn't look terrible. Just very much looks like a Netflix Presents: Cowboy Bebop sort of thing. Spike looks well casted. Faye not at all.

Last edited:

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Why is Spike being played by a 50 year old man though?

OleBoiii

Was the main character Asian in the original animated version?
Japanese and Caucasian characters tend to look very similar in anime. Generally speaking you can assume that the character is Japanese unless it's very obvious that they are not(the exception being shonen anime where crazy eyes and hairstyles are the norm). I always assumed that Spike was supposed to be Japanese. As far as anime goes there is little that suggests otherwise.

stevoc

Japanese and Caucasian characters tend to look very similar in anime. Generally speaking you can assume that the character is Japanese unless it's very obvious that they are not(the exception being shonen anime where crazy eyes and hairstyles are the norm). I always assumed that Spike was supposed to be Japanese. As far as anime goes there is little that suggests otherwise.
I don't mind who they cast I was just wondering, I thought he was white when I watched it back in the day. But as you say it's safe to assume most characters are Japanese in Anime.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Meh, spike's ethnicity isn't really important imo, but the casting isn't good all around, with Vicious in particular being especially bad...jet black's actor's about the only one with the right presence for the role, both as an adaptation and in general

It's...not good honestly. And it's not even about being a good adaptation, it's just not a good show for me. Just doesb't work

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I hate all anime but loved Cowboy Bebop. Everyone should stay away from this until they've watched the original.

Wing Attack Plan R

Meh, spike's ethnicity isn't really important imo, but the casting isn't good all around, with Vicious in particular being especially bad...jet black's actor's about the only one with the right presence for the role, both as an adaptation and in general

It's...not good honestly. And it's not even about being a good adaptation, it's just not a good show for me. Just doesb't work
I'd say the only reason Spike's ethnicity is important is because he's an Asian man that is absolutely cool and a total badass. If they had made Spike white it would have been affront.

Agree with you on the rest. It was kind of cool seeing the Bebop and the Swordfish II look real, but beyond that they really fecked up this show.

Wing Attack Plan R

This was in the Movie thread, didn't realize Cowboy Bebop had its own misery well.

Tbh I don't see the issue with this. He was likely just the best guy for the part and really at least for me I see these remakes as a way to get funds for potentially creating something new but using the banner of old shows(It's basically what Denis Villeneuve has done with his last two films).

I've only a watched a bit of the first episode although it does look a bit shite.
It's a trend that I guess I am not comfortable with: taking existing properties and recasting the leads to fit an agenda, instead of creating new properties that are not constrained. Theoretically fans of the Cowboy Bebop anime would be among the target audience, and they used things from the anime down to an exact level. They use the same music, the same credit sequence but with the live actors swapped in for their animated counterparts, the same ships, in the first episode they have the same signage over the bar on Tijuana as in the anime, except in the anime not all the letters were lit up, etc., but then they recast 1 of the 2 leads. It would be no different than them making Faye black or middle eastern or some other underrepresented ethnicity. It would make as much sense as making Spike a black character instead of an Asian one. And the guy who plays Jet actually is not bad but it feels like he's playing a character instead of being one, as in, his voice and mannerisms are trying really hard to replicate the anime Jet Black, so it seems like he's doing shtick. John Cho does a great job as Spike, though.

The basically already did reimagine Faye by casting Mexican-American actress Danielle Pineda in the role, completely changing her personality, and completely changing the iconic outfits she wore. Now Faye is a dumpy chick in hiking shorts who cracks wise all the time. Why is this important? Because Faye was, for a lot of people, the gateway drug into anime, and she broke the mold. To be fair, her shorts don't usually ride this low in the show, but compare the concept to the live action one, below. Literally I've seen better cosplay than what they went with.

This show has a lot of problems and casting is only one among a vast array. The problem with these massive visual alterations is it makes the show feel like fan fic, or like we're watching a live action cosplay event. I was not impressed with the first episode. The show is lit wrong, it's too crisp and bright, and looks like they are either using too much CGI set extension shit, or they are using dime store video cameras.
or does this?

Faye in the live action:

Cosplay Faye:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'd say the only reason Spike's ethnicity is important is because he's an Asian man that is absolutely cool and a total badass. If they had made Spike white it would have been affront.
That's fair. John Cho doesn't have the right presence for me though. I just don't find him believable in the role, he doesn't have the charisma and general aura of badassitude for it

Someone like Will Yun Lee for example would have been my choice

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I plan to watch the original after this. As someone who has not seen the original I am enjoying the live action series.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Anything like Arcane?
In what way? I mean, it's a show from the 90s, the animation was great for the time but it doesn't hold a candle to Arcane. Show is fantastic, in pretty much every way. Characters, plot, characterization, soundtrack, etc...

Dante

Average bang
In what way? I mean, it's a show from the 90s, the animation was great for the time but it doesn't hold a candle to Arcane. Show is fantastic, in pretty much every way. Characters, plot, characterization, soundtrack, etc...
The hand-drawn animation is still incredible, imo. It does lack the detail and punchiness of CGI. But I don't think that makes it any worse from an artistic point of view.

RoyH1

Once more an anime adaptation falls flat. Some things are just meant to stay in a 2D format.
At least it has a Yoko Kanno soundtrack

Yagami

Good post resistant
Me after hearing Netflix are ruining another anime:

Netflix wanna give anime fans another middle finger after the Death Note backlash.

Reactions: Invictus

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
The issue with live-action versions of anime or manga is that they have limitations and have to do things that make more sense in order to convey it on screen without it seeming ridiculous. In anime or manga they can get away with a lot of stuff that live-action can't.

That being said, I have watched 4 or 5 episodes and am very much enjoying it.

OleBoiii

Has there been any live action anime shows/movies that actually did well?
If you count manga to live-action(i.e. skipping the anime step): Edge Of Tomorrow.

That's the only one I can think of, though. As far as anime to live-action goes, I can't think of a single good movie/TV show.

Raw

If you count manga to live-action(i.e. skipping the anime step): Edge Of Tomorrow.

That's the only one I can think of, though. As far as anime to live-action goes, I can't think of a single good movie/TV show.
Good shout, that's a great movie.

I feel like most of the time the producers/directors/whatever just don't really understand what makes the source material so loved. Either they completely miss the point or they worry that the general audience isn't going to like it, so they change too much to appease everyone. Either be faithful or do something original that borrows themes from the source material. Don't go for a weird in-between that's utterly average/forgettable/crap.

lawliet354

Rurouni Kenshin is really good, the battle choreography is as good as it gets. Death Note (not the Netflix one) is kinda okay, definitely not terrible. Also Alita, GTO, and a lot of shoujo manga/anime have well-made adaptation.

Even stuff like Assassination Classroom, Gintama, and Bleach are better and more enjoyable than any of Netflix adaptation so far

Last edited:

RoyH1

I think once its been made into an anime, it's extremely difficult to get it to translate well into live action. Manga and light novels, maybe. The Edge of Tomorrow is a good example.

I really hope that Evangelion never gets a live action adaptation. Just imagine all the changes the writers/producers would do.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Tried the first episode the other day and it was reaaallly shite. Does it improve? I like the actors but it just seems to be paced really poorly and awkwardly.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Shame YouTube did away with the dislike counter. This could potentially get more dislikes than Netflix's Death Note trailer did.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's pretty difficult to make anything good when all of the source material is shit. Bring it on, neckbeards