Crafton: United GK coach Emilio Alvarez played important part in De Gea's Atleti development

SirAF

Ageist
That is indeed interesting. De Gea’s friend and mentor.

Based Adnan

His mate gets chucked out the door as soon as he signed a long term deal :lol:

Hopefully De Gea doesn't throw a strop and fall out when the new GK coach hopefully tries to change his game to be a more modern keeper like Hoek did

Skills

Snitch
This probably played a part in the contract negotiation.

I think it's fair enough if the club and the coaching staff, want their keepers coached by their own coaches.

liamp

His mate gets chucked out the door as soon as he signed a long term deal :lol:

Hopefully De Gea doesn't throw a strop and fall out when the new GK coach hopefully tries to change his game to be a more modern keeper like Hoek did
New GK coach has already been aboard for a few months. It's Richard Hartis, who was the academy GK coach here in the 2000's before leaving to work with Ole at Molde and Cardiff.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Hopefully this is De Gea and the club admitting he needs to be challenged more. More exciting news than his contract signing to be honest.

Scotty McT

This probably played a part in the contract negotiation.

I think it's fair enough if the club and the coaching staff, want their keepers coached by their own coaches.
Good call.

While I'm sure the contract negotiations got to Dave a little, I'm quite sure that it wasn't the entire cause of his poor form. As you said, the club probably think that something isn't working elsewhere. He's arguably the best shot stopper in the world when on form but he's still got so many areas of his game he needs to improve such as distribution, crosses, decision making, and commanding the defence. Hopefully this is the guy to get him to improve on those areas, but the cynic in me is worried about the levels of nepotism at the club. Any amazing keepers come through the United academy, Molde or Cardiff that I'm missing out on that he might have had some involvement with?

Skills

Snitch
Good call.

While I'm sure the contract negotiations got to Dave a little, I'm quite sure that it wasn't the entire cause of his poor form. Something isn't working elsewhere. He's arguably the best shot stopper in the world when on form but he's still got so many areas of his game he needs to improve such as distribution, crosses, decision making, and commanding the defence. Hopefully this is the guy to get him to improve on those areas, but the cynic in me is worried about the levels of nepotism at the club. Any amazing keepers come through the United academy, Molde or Cardiff that I'm missing out on that he might have had some involvement with?
Just something we have to put up with for now.

When we get a competent manager, I'm sure he'll bring in his own coaching staff. So it won't matter long term.

Scotty McT

Just something we have to put up with for now.

When we get a competent manager, I'm sure he'll bring in his own coaching staff. So it won't matter long term.
Let's hope so. Fortunately we should be able to see the fruits of this guy's coaching fairly easily over the course of the season, assuming that the coaching has been a big issue with De Gea.

Grande

Is he any good?
He has trained Foster, Zieler and Heaton for United, and Henderson for United, who all have developed well. Did well with Nyland for Molde, making a NT player and Bundesliga contract for a keeper of limited talents. Helped win the CL double for United in 08 and England U20 the U20 WC.

Alvarez going is a positive sign as De Gea have stagnated in some aspects and regressed slightly in others under his second spell with him.

red thru&thru

He has trained Foster, Zieler and Heaton for United, and Henderson for United, who all have developed well. Did well with Nyland for Molde, making a NT player and Bundesliga contract for a keeper of limited talents. Helped win the CL double for United in 08 and England U20 the U20 WC.

Alvarez going is a positive sign as De Gea have stagnated in some aspects and regressed slightly in others under his second spell with him.
Who is the reason behind this I don't know, however, your are correct that DDG has not evolved. Keepers are so much better with their feet now, in terms of distribution, DDG is not great.

El-Manos

New GK coach has already been aboard for a few months. It's Richard Hartis, who was the academy GK coach here in the 2000's before leaving to work with Ole at Molde and Cardiff.
Not exactly a brilliant cv

redshaw

Have noticed recently De Gea is trying to distribute the ball more. It's not a new invention, Peter did this for us exceptionally in the 90s.

Grande

Who is the reason behind this I don't know, however, your are correct that DDG has not evolved. Keepers are so much better with their feet now, in terms of distribution, DDG is not great.
I think De Gea has regressed markedly in terms of playing out with his feet. He has not developed his command of the box the last three-five years.

I did notice him coming out for balls a bit more often in recent games. A change in strategy?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not exactly a brilliant cv
He has very good CV, he was Gk coach when we won CL last time. He was also part of England coaching staff for U20 when they won U20 world cup.

red thru&thru

I think De Gea has regressed markedly in terms of playing out with his feet. He has not developed his command of the box the last three-five years.

I did notice him coming out for balls a bit more often in recent games. A change in strategy?
I hope so. Him commanding his box and distribution stick out like sore thumbs.

El Jefe

Should have been sacked at the end of last season. He had clearly crossed the line of coach to player relationship that it was becoming detrimental to DDG's performance.

meamth

Maybe it's the right stage where De Gea can further develop.

After all, GKs prime years is between 28 to late 30s.

Based Adnan

Cheers @mu4c_20le

Summary of what was said on Alvarez:
  • Stayed out until well after 4am at the bar
  • Multiple late nights followed
  • Alvarez was still in full control of himself
  • Multiple staff members felt Ole would take a negative view and they were right
  • Alvarez left the club a month after the incident
  • Was already marginalized due to the appointment of Richard Harris as senior GK coach
  • Players are not allowed to even drink fizzy drinks - same applies to coaching staff
  • If a player had stayed out until 4am they also would have been punished

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Cheers @mu4c_20le

Summary of what was said on Alvarez:
  • Stayed out until well after 4am at the bar
  • Multiple late nights followed
  • Alvarez was still in full control of himself
  • Multiple staff members felt Ole would take a negative view and they were right
  • Alvarez left the club a month after the incident
  • Was already marginalized due to the appointment of Richard Harris as senior GK coach
  • Players are not allowed to even drink fizzy drinks - same applies to coaching staff
  • If a player had stayed out until 4am they also would have been punished
Are they allowed chips?