Cricket World Cup/ICC Champions Trophy Draft - R1 12OunceEpilogue vs The Cat

Based on performances in ICC tournaments which team would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spoony

The People's President
Thanks spoony I think my 7 batsmen would cruise to a 200 because it wouldn't be much more than that. I think people are getting Swann mixed up with Giles as well he was a great performer for most of his career.
Your batting line up is solid. Better than the other side's.

NM

It's all cool. I think I might be an olde

It's all cool mate. I think I might be a bit older than some of the voters Marshall was an absolute beast. off topic admittedly and not relevant to this draft but I think he was possibly the best pacemam who ever lived. I loved watching him bowl he's the most dangerous I ever saw. So sad he died so early he really could do everything even the nastiest bouncers from his height.
Most of us will agree with this but in this criteria he is a 24 average without much games played. Otherwise, we should have done an all time draft where he would be a first round pick..

Norris

Very surprised with the outcome of this. 12ounce's batting quality drops drastically after the opening pair. The Cat's batting is solid if unspectacular. But bowling department is still gulf apart despite my criticism of Cat's drafting approach.

Hard luck Cat. I don't think you deserved to lose this early on.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Your batting line up is solid. Better than the other side's.
Very surprised with the outcome of this. 12ounce's batting quality drops drastically after the opening pair. The Cat's batting is solid if unspectacular. But bowling department is still gulf apart despite my criticism of Cat's drafting approach.

Hard luck Cat. I don't think you deserved to lose this early on.
Fair comments boys. Hick is one you struggle to hang your hat on; solid, unremarkable and there are better averages out there but his 83 vs South Africa in the '92 semi stuck with me as a big game innings, though I accept it's perhaps not big and memorable enough.

Sarwan's no Dravid but I was struck by his solidity. The two innings I highlight in my write-up (56 in the 04' CT and 47 vs SL in '03) both come in adversity. I like his dogged, rock in a storm-type mentality, and that he's both performed well in World Cups and owned the '04 CT from a batting perspective.

The two former Associate Members at 5 and 6 will divide opinion, and I'm open to the criticism there are no business-end tournament credentials to speak of, but I was looking for two guys who have got me out of my seat, and were preferably from nations I hadn't picked from previously, so went with fellas who have excited me in recent tournaments. No regrets there.

I like Oram's specific role of going on with a more established partner as most of his best WC knocks were undefeated. He's a very solid WC performer, with bat and ball, though perhaps not memorably enough for some, justifiably so.

As for my bowling I agree my quicks are a notch or two below Cat's on paper but I hope I've at least given a decent shout-out to my boys. Vaas is class, Binny's work in 1983 cannot be overstated, Taylor was great at CT '06 (Hasan only recently matched his total of 13 scalps at a CT) and a menace on his day and Oram has a better WC avg. / S/R than all but 24 other guys who have taken more than 20 wickets. As a unit I could see Vaas's left arm swing and Taylor's accurate pace causing problems for Cat's batsmen, while I'd have no problem handing the ball to Binny circa '83 and Oram. I also think with two more WC winner's medals and 20 more wickets within the draft criterion Hogg is a class or two above Swann in this specific setting. As for Cat's other bowlers; Holding and Khan are world-class, Bracken and Marshall would be dangerous and economical but not terrifying (the latter obviously would be outside this draft), so I agree there's a gap but I'd stop short of calling it a gulf (at least within earshot of my chaps!).

I see this first draft as a learning experience in any case so I'm very grateful both to have got some votes and for the nice amount of discussion in the thread.