Cricket World Cup/ICC Champions Trophy Draft - R1 MJJ vs ChrisNelson

Based on performances in ICC tournaments which team would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This draft is based on player performances in ICC World Cups and Champions Trophy only, only performances in these tournaments count, performances outside these tournaments carry no weight. Please vote according to this criteria.

TEAM MJJ

Gavaskar
Kaluwitharana
Miandad
Abbas
Smith
Miller
Harris
Hadlee
Johnson
Anderson
Murali

Vs

TEAM CHRISNELSON

1. Morgan
2. G. Smith
3. M. Clarke (Capt.)
4. A. Lamb
5. F. Zaman
6. C. Hooper
7. M. Boucher (W/K)
8. S. Tait
9. K. Roach
10. H. Singh
11. L. Malinga

MJJ writeup

Gavaskar
Kaluwitharana- Average of 18 overall with strike rate of 90+
Miandad- Average of 41
Abbas- Average of 44
Smith-Average of 60, strike rate 90+
Miller-Average of 52, strike rate 110+
Harris- Peak average of 33, strike rate 78
Hadlee- Batting Average 14, strike rate 60. Bowling Average-18, Econ 3.02 SR 36.5
Johnson- Batting Average 20, strike rate 120+ Bowling Average-26,Econ 4.62 SR 33.7
Anderson- Bowling Average-32,Econ 4.95 SR 38.7
Murali- Bowling Average-20.46,Econ 3.77 SR 32.5

ChrisNelson writeup

Overall combined stats for ICC Champions Trophy and Cricket World Cup

1. E. Morgan

Matches 31 – Innings 30 – Runs 740 – Average 27.40 – S/R 79.14 – HS 87 – 100s 0 – 50s 6

Top scored for England in ICC CT Final of 2013.

2. G. Smith

Matches 32 – Innings 32 – Runs 1217 – Average 40.56 – S/R 86.49 – HS 141 – 100s 1 – 50s 8

3. M. Clarke (Capt.)

Matches 31 – Innings 23 – Runs 958 – Average 59.81 – S/R 92.37 – HS 93* - 100s 0 – 50s 8

Captained and top scored for Australia when they won the CWC in 2015. Also played in the victorious 2007 side. Played in 2006 ICC CT Final.

4. A. Lamb

Matches 19 – Innings 17 – Runs 656 – Average 50.46 – S/R 84.10 – HS 102 – 100s – 50s 3

Second top scorer for England in CWC Finals of 1987 and 1992.

5. F. Zaman

Matches 4 – Innings 4 – Runs 252 – Average – 63.00 – S/R 113.00 – HS 114 – 100s 1 – 50s 2

Scored 114 as Pakistan won the ICC CT in 2017.

6. C. Hooper

Matches 25 – Innings 23 – Runs 377 – Average 19.84 – S/R 71.53 – HS 63 – 100s 0 – 50s 1

Wickets 24 – Average 35.87 – Econ 4.34 – 5W 0

Scored 49 in 1998 ICC CT Final.

7. M. Boucher (W/K)

Matches 42 – Innings 32 – Runs 669 – Average 24.77 – S/R 86.21 – HS 75* - 100s 0 – 50s 4

Dismissals 50 (48 caught, 2 stumped)

Played in 1998 ICC CT Final.

8. S. Tait

Matches 17 – Wickets 31 – Average 22.45 – Econ 5.37 – 5W 0

9. K. Roach

Matches 13 – Wickets 20 – Average 26.00 – Econ 5.20 – 5W 1

10. H. Singh

Matches 34 – Wickets 34 – Average 38.35 – Econ 4.10 – 5W 0

Took 1/50 in 2011 CWC Final as India beat Sri Lanka. Also played in 2003 Final. Played in 2002 ICC CT Final.

11. L. Malinga

Matches 38 – Wickets 68 – Average 24.61 – Econ 5.31 – 5W 1

Played in 2 CWC Finals, taking 2/42 in 2011 Final vs. India and 2/49 in 2007 Final vs. Australia.

My side has multiple international captains with huge experience of playing in Finals.

It is a long batting lineup and has one of the most successful wicket keepers the game has seen.

It has in Lasith Malinga a fine strike bowler (also captained Sri Lanka in T20) who rarely fails to take early wickets, one of the best spinners in Harbhajan and one of the finest spin bowling all-rounders in Carl Hooper.

Overall I think the team is built to perform under pressure with great leadership qualities throughout.

Last edited:

Mani

3 SL in @MJJ team? I thought it’s two per nation for starting eleven.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Zaman to my knowledge has never played as a lower middle order batsman even in first class cricket.
He's definitely made his mark as an opener. Chris could argue playing him lower in the order won't affect his batting, and will give him some strike power further down, but since he hasn't played any lower than the top in his tournament career it's a concern for me.

Your batting line-up looks solid, although you have three Sri Lankans on the field.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@MJJ you need to substitute one of your SL players.

MJJ

3 SL in @MJJ team? I thought it’s two per nation for starting eleven.
He's definitely made his mark as an opener. Chris could argue playing him lower in the order won't affect his batting, and will give him some strike power further down, but since he hasn't played any lower than the top in his tournament career it's a concern for me.

Your batting line-up looks solid, although you have three Sri Lankans on the field.
@MJJ you need to substitute one of your SL players.
My 12th person is a pakistani.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@MJJ I will allow you to drop one player and pick one player but you will have - 1 vote as a penalty .

Pick your player ASAP.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Gavaskar is OK I guess. Atapattu was hardly a dasher.

Like Chris top order but MJJ bowling is better.

ChrisNelson

Are we allowed to vote for our own team? So I can see how the vote is going?!

MJJ

Yeah one of those batters v bowlers matchups. Always tough to decide.
Gavaskar is OK I guess. Atapattu was hardly a dasher.

Like Chris top order but MJJ bowling is better.
Other than his openers, my middle order is strong and I bat deeper.

His bowlers are significantly weaker to mine, hadlee and murali are a class apart to his best two. And johnson and anderson are better than the alternates too.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I can see Chris's bowlers going for runs but they may take wickets. I also don't particularly see MJJ's openers doing serious damage, it'll be that 3, 4 and 5 who get him going.

Chris has a much better opening pairing to get a fast start and I love Clarke-Lamb to come in. They are battling against better bowlers than MJJ's middle order, though I have Johnson and Murali as the danger men. Jimmy's tournament record is a little underwhelming given his greatness and Hadlee is more of a steady presence with that nice economy (2.88 at WCs) than a lethal wicket-taker for me.

MJJ has the deeper tail and the better bowlers, that could be key. The question is whether Chris's top four can put a load on quickly; if they did that batting first I would expect them to go on to a big total and win the game with the likes of Malinga, Roach and Harbhajan taking wickets as MJJ is forced to go for big runs.

Skills

Snitch

I'll do 2007 and 2011 if and when I can be arsed. Yes I know some of the countries I listed as minnows did well a few of the years, but most of the players selected even those years are from the traditional biguns.

MJJ

I can see Chris's bowlers going for runs but they may take wickets. I also don't particularly see MJJ's openers doing serious damage, it'll be that 3, 4 and 5 who get him going.

Chris has a much better opening pairing to get a fast start and I love Clarke-Lamb to come in. They are battling against better bowlers than MJJ's middle order, though I have Johnson and Murali as the danger men. Jimmy's tournament record is a little underwhelming given his greatness and Hadlee is more of a steady presence with that nice economy (2.88 at WCs) than a lethal wicket-taker for me.

MJJ has the deeper tail and the better bowlers, that could be key. The question is whether Chris's top four can put a load on quickly; if they did that batting first I would expect them to go on to a big total and win the game with the likes of Malinga, Roach and Harbhajan taking wickets as MJJ is forced to go for big runs.
Hadlee has a strike rate of 36.5, thats better than Harbajhan(56 or one wicket every ten overs) and Hooper(50)

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Hadlee has a strike rate of 36.5, thats better than Harbajhan(56 or one wicket every ten overs) and Hooper(50)
True, I'm talking about the specific case of Chris scoring big batting first. In that circumstance I see his inferior bowlers taking wickets in your run chase as I see you losing a wicket or two before you get going.

My general philosophy is that batsmen win limited overs games and I prefer Chris's top order to yours. However I must accept you have the longer tail and the better bowlers, so it's very tricky.

MJJ

True, I'm talking about the specific case of Chris scoring big batting first. In that circumstance I see his inferior bowlers taking wickets in your run chase as I see you losing a wicket or two before you get going.

My general philosophy is that batsmen win limited overs games and I prefer Chris's top order to yours. However I must accept you have the longer tail and the better bowlers, so it's very tricky.
I would say his openers are better, 3-4 par, 5-8, my players are better.

Bowling there is no competition and he doesn't have somebody like Murali to tie an end down.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I would say his openers are better, 3-4 par, 5-8, my players are better.

Bowling there is no competition and he doesn't have somebody like Murali to tie an end down.
Not for me, with full respect to Miandad and Abbas. Clarke has a fantastic tournament record very few can match and I'm very partial to Lamb; one of England's best WC batsman and that 67* versus WI in 1987 is just :drool:.

I agree with the rest. Boucher isn't even hugely impressive in tournys, though he contributed for SA in the 1998 ICCCT, and your lower middle and bowlers are superior.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Also that said above about Boucher batting-wise he's still a better tournament batsman than Kaluwitharana and obviously a superior keeper (although an interesting stat is that Kaluwitharana has four WC stumpings, which could come into play with Murali, while Boucher doesn't have any).

I feel Kaluwitharana is a shoehorn, and if anything would get me voting Chris it's that better, more balanced top order which I think can be crucial in one day tournament cricket.

MJJ

Also that said above about Boucher batting-wise he's still a better tournament batsman than Kaluwitharana and obviously a superior keeper (although an interesting stat is that Kaluwitharana has four WC stumpings, which could come into play with Murali, while Boucher doesn't have any).

I feel Kaluwitharana is a shoehorn, and if anything would get me voting Chris it's that better, more balanced top order which I think can be crucial in one day tournament cricket.

Kalu was added largely due to his performance in the 96 world Cup where he revolutionised the approach to the opening overs with jaysuria.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Kalu was added largely due to his performance in the 96 world Cup where he revolutionised the approach to the opening overs with jaysuria.
His strike rate is impressive because of that approach, and I don't at all mind an opener smashing a quick 25-30 leaving the middle order in a position to build the innings nicely ahead of the curve. But his average isn't great at all; when paired with Jayasuriya the openers can still blast off but with Gavaskar I just see the middle order having to pick up the run-making slack too early in the innings.

MJJ

His strike rate is impressive because of that approach, and I don't at all mind an opener smashing a quick 25-30 leaving the middle order in a position to build the innings nicely ahead of the curve. But his average isn't great at all; when paired with Jayasuriya the openers can still blast off but with Gavaskar I just see the middle order having to pick up the run-making slack too early in the innings.
Yeah that is true, which is why I wanted Miandad and Abbas, both great at building innings. Abbas strike rate, for innings above 50, I'd absolutely brilliant for his era.

I also have peak Murali who did not concede much runs, economy in 2. Ranges and Hadlee.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yeah that is true, which is why I wanted Miandad and Abbas, both great at building innings. Abbas strike rate, for innings above 50, I'd absolutely brilliant for his era.

I also have peak Murali who did not concede much runs, economy in 2. Ranges and Hadlee.
True. As I've said I'm fully respectful of Miandad and Abbas in that middle order. I just think objectively Chris has got the better openers and from my personal tastes I prefer Clarke-Lamb, meaning he has you from 1-4 as far as I'm concerned.

There's no doubt you've got him the rest of the way, bat and ball, it's just I rate a good top order, or more accurately I worry about a defective one in limited overs cricket.

MJJ

True. As I've said I'm fully respectful of Miandad and Abbas in that middle order. I just think objectively Chris has got the better openers and from my personal tastes I prefer Clarke-Lamb, meaning he has you from 1-4 as far as I'm concerned.

There's no doubt you've got him the rest of the way, bat and ball, it's just I rate a good top order, or more accurately I worry about a defective one in limited overs cricket.
I support Pakistan, 90% of the matches we win were based on openers collapsing, middle order rebuilding and a late flurry with a good bowling attack :p