Cricket

AshRK

Kohli vetoing for Shastri openly in press conference. Another 2 years to be wasted under their guidance.

Boycott

I've been watching the European Cricket League all day on Freesports. A bunch of T20 domestic champion teams from around Europe rocking up in La Manga to square off in 10 over a side games, on grounds with 40m boundaries, dad and lad opening the batting, a team coach having to step in when one player couldn't make it, the first ever native Romanian cricketer who only picked up cricket in his 40s becoming a sensation, seeing teams with locals not just expats, the commentator saying "it's up it's high it's MAXIMOOOOOM" for every six, a batsman scoring 104 runs out of his 105 in boundaries only, all in glorious high definition quality worthy of the World Cup Final. Incredible man.

The game needs to grow and while the standard is largely village it's quite endearing. Prefer it to the never ending world tour of T20 journeymen in the professional game.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I've been watching the European Cricket League all day on Freesports. A bunch of T20 domestic champion teams from around Europe rocking up in La Manga to square off in 10 over a side games, on grounds with 40m boundaries, dad and lad opening the batting, a team coach having to step in when one player couldn't make it, the first ever native Romanian cricketer who only picked up cricket in his 40s becoming a sensation, seeing teams with locals not just expats, the commentator saying "it's up it's high it's MAXIMOOOOOM" for every six, a batsman scoring 104 runs out of his 105 in boundaries only, all in glorious high definition quality worthy of the World Cup Final. Incredible man.

The game needs to grow and while the standard is largely village it's quite endearing. Prefer it to the never ending world tour of T20 journeymen in the professional game.

Looks awful.

Boycott

Looks awful.
Watch the games in full. It's club cricket and considering most of these clubs are in countries with no cricketing heritage the standard obviously is low but there is some raw talent in there. The point is to grow the game and they're doing something the ICC never considered since it has no link with BCCI, ECB and CA.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Watch the games in full. It's club cricket and considering most of these clubs are in countries with no cricketing heritage the standard obviously is low but there is some raw talent in there. The point is to grow the game and they're doing something the ICC never considered since it has no link with BCCI, ECB and CA.
This is the primary reason why I am in favour of shorter formats. I think T10 and T20 allow weaker sides to shine and are much better to watch for neutrals. Hopefully in the long run these formats bring more teams to the T20 World Cup and the game gets a chance to expand beyond traditional Test nations.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
This is the primary reason why I am in favour of shorter formats. I think T10 and T20 allow weaker sides to shine and are much better to watch for neutrals. Hopefully in the long run these formats bring more teams to the T20 World Cup and the game gets a chance to expand beyond traditional Test nations.
You'd be shifting into a direction that isn't "cricket". The game I fell in love with was the shorter forms where all the individual battles and shifting patterns of strength made it an extremely entertaining sport for me, personally. The thing is, if people aren't interetsed then they're not interested. The game needs to find ways to rekindle and maintain the interest of those who are already interested in sport. Introducing wackathons does nothing for the game.

NinjaFletch

I don't think anyone doubts T20 (I do doubt that T10 has any really value, mind) is a useful vehicle for expansion. What I take issue with is it being used as the only vehicle for it. The World Cup final has done more to get people talking about cricket in this country than any T20 match because (SHOCK HORROR) people could fecking watch it. Quelle surprise the blast has seen record attendances. 50 over cricket has driven people to 20 over cricket, not (as admin bods have tried to argue for ten years is the only possible way) the other way around.

So yeah, expand 20/20 cricket. Get it into the Olympics, get shit like this on TV, but don't only do that. Expand the 50 over game too, give people a chance to enjoy cricket and a lot of people do. Not everyone mind, and that's fine, but you don't have to hide your product because some people don't like it.

Last edited:

Boycott

The story of this competition though is totally unique. An ex Aussie grade player (grade cricket there being like non league football here) set up a tech business that made a lot of money and grew into the European markets. He moved to Germany, joined a club, played for the German National team after a while and realised there was an appetite for cricket there so he used his contacts to help the administration with popular social media platforms and set up a broadcasting channel. Those were a hit in Germany so he had an idea to broaden it out to mainland Europe where the game desperately needed exposure and help. All the teams participating won their country's T20 cricket competition and were invited. They got cricket writers and fans who focus on associate nations to be a part of it, they got a beautiful location in La Manga, they secured sponsorship with Dream 11 (the IPL use it so it's a big fecking deal), they have this broadcasting globally on TV and streaming online for free. The guy also attracted interest from German football and UEFA Champions League strategic and marketing people who got on board with it.

The ICC have NEVER shown an interest in anything of this scale. If this guy's brainchild can continue to grow (and several ex pro's and big names have now endorsed it) then perhaps finally cricket as a sport can stop being seen as a colonial thing.

AshRK

I am all for growing the game but in a right way. From what I have seen this makes a mockery of the game. I do agree with you that ICC needs to grow the game and not make it inclusive to the big nation. But scoring 150 in 5 overs and all is not cricket.

Skills

Snitch
Kohli vetoing for Shastri openly in press conference. Another 2 years to be wasted under their guidance.
Like I was saying in the world cup thread - Kohli's the problem. Shastri's just a puppet.

Cloud7

Is there a different thread discussing the India tour of West Indies? India won the first T20.
We’re crap. What else is there to discuss? :p I don’t even want to see how bad we’re gonna be at the T20 World Cup next year. I mean, there’s a chance we get better, but I doubt it.

freeurmind

weak willed
South Africa fired Otis Gibson and not a moment too soon, he was awful. Bring back Gary Kirsten.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Steyn announces his retirement from Tests.

Brilliant bowler. Shame he had so many injuries.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The greatest bowler in the last two decades. Legend.

zing

Zingle balls
Must be top 3 bowler of all time surely..

Given we're always adjusted batsmen averages downward in debates, need to do the same for Steyn and his number would be even more unbelievable

ha_rooney

As expected, Mickey Arthur & his backroom staff are out. Shame as I think he did a good job with Pakistan.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
As expected, Mickey Arthur & his backroom staff are out. Shame as I think he did a good job with Pakistan.
I think it's been mostly downhill from that Champions Trophy victory. Misbah and Younis retired around that time right? I remember Pakistan collapsing in the UAE Tests against NZ, losing to SL, and in general producing underwhelming results in Tests. Not sure how T20 performances have been, but ODIs not too good from what I recall. I think Pakistan had a poor World Cup if you look at the talented squad so I guess that was the final nail in the coffin.

Personally I am happy that Inzamam quit because nothing explains to me why Pakistan started with such a pathetic XI, benching Sohail and picking Malik at the World Cup. They need to find a good captain though. Someone who looks unfit, is not a great keeper, and doesn't perform with the bat cannot lead the team in this day and age.

ha_rooney

Some performance by Ackermann for Leicestershire :eek:

ha_rooney

Another day, another legend retires :(

freeurmind

weak willed
The hits keep coming for SA cricket. Steyn and now Amla. Both absolute legends, key figures in the side that rose to no 1 in the Test rankings. His 300 at the Oval will live long in the memory. Going to be a tough period of rebuilding for the Proteas.

zing

Zingle balls
Crazy we didn't give Iyer a longer rope for the WC. Stupid we've now moved him to #5 instead of #4. It'll work well for both Pant and Iyer to swap position.

The repeated use of weak language about him "could be a strong contender" etc from Kohli.. he should just back the guy.

Last edited:

AshRK

New coach to be appointed for Team India. Candidates in running are Mike Hesson, Tom Moody, Ravi Shastri (Please God No), Robin Singh, Lalchand Rajput. Jayawardene is also rumoured to be one of the candidate.

I hope it is one of Hesson or Moody. Hesson would be a good choice from tactics point of view but not sure how entertained Kohli will losing his yes man in Shastri. If Shastri is retained it will clearly show how powerful Kohli is and such instance has never been seen before in Indian cricket, a player controlling the board. Hope senses prevail and we appoint a deserving candidate.

zing

Zingle balls
New coach to be appointed for Team India. Candidates in running are Mike Hesson, Tom Moody, Ravi Shastri (Please God No), Robin Singh, Lalchand Rajput. Jayawardene is also rumoured to be one of the candidate.

I hope it is one of Hesson or Moody. Hesson would be a good choice from tactics point of view but not sure how entertained Kohli will losing his yes man in Shastri. If Shastri is retained it will clearly show how powerful Kohli is and such instance has never been seen before in Indian cricket, a player controlling the board. Hope senses prevail and we appoint a deserving candidate.
Hesson would be nice.