Cricket

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Yeah India aren’t great players of spin either now. It’s just they have two world class spinners so pitches are suited for them
We really can't. Have a look at our test batting averages. No one averages above 50 as we no longer bully teams at home.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I expect india will be beatable at home once ash and Jadeja retire.
I think we'll stop with these pitches. Also, when was the last time we didn't have a top class spinner? Kumble made his debut in the early 90s? Thats going on 33 years with a consistent array of brilliant spin bowlers.

AshRK

I think we'll stop with these pitches. Also, when was the last time we didn't have a top class spinner? Kumble made his debut in the early 90s? Thats going on 33 years with a consistent array of brilliant spin bowlers.
I think last decade has been peak for Indian test cricket at home. I don't see this level of dominance. I know some will just put everything on the picth but I think we never had a spin combo like ash-jadeja. It will be hard to replace according to me.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I think last decade has been peak for Indian test cricket at home. I don't see this level of dominance. I know some will just put everything on the picth but I think we never had a spin combo like ash-jadeja. It will be hard to replace according to me.
the key to stop people thinking like that so to stop producing pitches like this. for sure it is more nuanced than just blaming a pitch but this kind of pitch is indefensible.

AshRK

the key to stop people thinking like that so to stop producing pitches like this. for sure it is more nuanced than just blaming a pitch but this kind of pitch is indefensible.
Yes this pitch has been poor but you still have to bat well. I honestly believe the spin playing ability has gone down. Some of the shots that we have seen is inexcusable in the whole series.

But I do agree these pitches are no different to the road surface that offer nothing to the bowlers.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
74 is a bit too low for India to defend I feel, anything above 120 would've put them in the game.

Can't rule out some Ashwin and Jadeja magic though, and Aussie propensity to collapse on spinning wickets.

Hope this pitch isn't given a demerit point though, teams struggling to score close to 200 is fine. We give much more leeway to horrible batting friendly pitches than bowling. That has to change.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
not watched it at all, but this feels a little like perth in 2008. 2-0 up, overconfident, prepare the WORST pitch possible for the opposition, except that now suddenly the opposition pacers/spinners become much more effective.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Haven’t watch a minute of this test, but apparently the pitches in India are great for test cricket. Saying otherwise and you get slated and are being biased. And it wouldn’t surprise me if Australia get skittled out for less than 70 tomorrow if the pitch is as bad as people are saying.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Haven’t watch a minute of this test, but apparently the pitches in India are great for test cricket. Saying otherwise and you get slated and are being biased. And it wouldn’t surprise me if Australia get skittled out for less than 70 tomorrow if the pitch is as bad as people are saying.
What's wrong with Indian pitches in general??

I moaned as much as anyone about that mad one when England toured. But everything else on that tour was fine, and three day tests are fairly common everywhere?

Rams

What's wrong with Indian pitches in general??

I moaned as much as anyone about that mad one when England toured. But everything else on that tour was fine, and three day tests are fairly common everywhere?
Have you seen the scores? How many innings in this tour have been > 200runs out of how many innings? Or is it me just imagining things?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Have you seen the scores? How many innings in this tour have been > 200runs out of how many innings? Or is it me just imagining things?
You ever watched an English test series in May or September?

Rams

In other reality we just witnessed a classic test lasting five days and with 1 run it. I was hoping for these kind of contests between the 2 best test sides.

Rams

You ever watched an English test series in May or September?
By September the pitches are pretty batsman friendly in the UK and there’s not much you can control about the environment. But you can produce better pitches than the ones currently being produced in India, I would consider those pitches sub standard but maybe I’m just old fashioned. I can’t imagine that the current series between India & Australia has caught imagination amongst the general public at a time when cricket needs that the most. India have so many great players, it’s a shame really.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Good on Australia to turn this series around. We have been showing weakness against spin for awhile now. Hopefully the final test would be a good match.
I do feel for series as big as this, majority of test matches should be at key grounds while allocating one among tier 2 cities.

JohnnyKills

Good start. Looks like Aus are going to make a half-decent score.

Ground looks great too. Has it been built recently?

JohnnyKills

Its the old Motera stadium that has been demolished and rebuilt.

England played the day night test match here when they were here last time and Root bowled India out :lol:
Cool, cheers for the info.

Are they going to rebuild the other stadiums too? You'd think with all the IPL money they'd be able to afford it!

Edit: just googled. Didn't realise how fecking massive it is!!

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Are they going to rebuild the other stadiums too? You'd think with all the IPL money they'd be able to afford it!
Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai was renovated before the 2011 World Cup and hosted the final match. Not sure any other stadium in metro cities i.e. Kolkata, New Delhi, Chennai, Bengaluru are getting renovated right now with the World Cup being held later this year. All the stadiums are owned by State Associations, who receive funding from BCCI apart from the revenue they might generate themselves. The IPL money goes directly to BCCI and the State Cricket Associations don't see that money directly. They probably get some compensation from the Franchisees for renting the Stadium out for the IPL matches.

JohnnyKills

Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai was renovated before the 2011 World Cup and hosted the final match. Not sure any other stadium in metro cities i.e. Kolkata, New Delhi, Chennai, Bengaluru are getting renovated right now with the World Cup being held later this year. All the stadiums are owned by State Associations, who receive funding from BCCI apart from the revenue they might generate themselves. The IPL money goes directly to BCCI and the State Cricket Associations don't see that money directly. They probably get some compensation from the Franchisees for renting the Stadium out for the IPL matches.
Cheers for the info, super interesting!

Would be amazing to see them redevelop Delhi and Kolkata and make them 150,000 each. India has the fanbase to justify it.

JohnnyKills

Aussies really putting up a fight here. If they can get to 250 it'll be very interesting.

Zen

Hey Kohli's hit a ton! That should keep him safe for another 5 years. But either way, good to see it.

SinNombre

Two poor pitches after two great pitches in the first two tests.

Third test pitch was a lottery and the fourth is a snoozefest. Best pitches are ones where 350 is the par score for the first innings.

SinNombre

Ashwin is an underrated great of test bowling. His 6-91 in the first innings is ridiculous given how easy the batsmen have found everyone else including Lyon and Jadeja. Obviously not the first time he has pulled this on a flat pitch in Asian/West Indian conditions.

One of the top-3 test bowlers of the post McGrath/Warne/Murali era with Steyn and Anderson, and a decent clutch batsman on top.

AshRK

Ashwin is an underrated great of test bowling. His 6-91 in the first innings is ridiculous given how easy the batsmen have found everyone else including Lyon and Jadeja. Obviously not the first time he has pulled this on a flat pitch in Asian/West Indian conditions.

One of the top-3 test bowlers of the post McGrath/Warne/Murali era with Steyn and Anderson, and a decent clutch batsman on top.
True. And that is why it is a shame that Ashwin is not constantly trusted in overseas condition. When I see the likes of Leach taking 5 wickets in NZ or Mayers picking wickets in SA. I don't see why Ashwin cannot. Just that it has become a myth he cannot pick wickets. Ofcourse he will have off days just like every top bowler, doesn't mean you drop them for a clown like Shardul Thakur.