Cricket

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Not all Aussie pitches are bowler friendly. And usually day 1 is the easiest to bat on. Would be interesting to see how he does in 3rd and 4rth innings. I agree he scores a lot of big 100s but perhaps that masks his average a little because he does have a lot of failures as well. I've always put him down as hit and miss. You can get him very early but if you don't he'll make a big score.

He's a very good player but he isn't a great which is what I'm saying.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not all Aussie pitches are bowler friendly. And usually day 1 is the easiest to bat on. Would be interesting to see how he does in 3rd and 4rth innings. I agree he scores a lot of big 100s but perhaps that masks his average a little because he does have a lot of failures as well. I've always put him down as hit and miss. You can get him very early but if you don't he'll make a big score.

That's fair enough, I guess.

wr8_utd

:'(
Sehwag flat track bully?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure that's what ALL the bowlers who dread bowling against him feel too.

Neutral

BTV
His record does have a few gaping holes, but I didn't think they were so pronounced, but I've gone and done a bit of research....

in New Zealand - 20.00(9 innings)

in South Africa - 26.44(9 innings)

in Bangladesh - 35.20(6 innings) - a real anomaly, and one as a Bangladeshi I am only too happy to highlight...WOO HOO!!!!!

in England - 39.20(6 innings)

wr8_utd

By the end of his career he will go down as one of the modern greats, that I'm sure of.

One of the most exciting batsmen, who on his day (which is quite often) can destroy any bowler on any track.

wr8_utd

His record does have a few gaping holes, but I didn't think they were so pronounced, but I've gone and done a bit of research....

in Bangladesh - 35.20(6 innings) - a real anomaly, and one as a Bangladeshi I am only too happy to highlight...WOO HOO!!!!!

Expect a triple ton the next time Sehwag plays Bangladesh :p

But sadly he'll probably end up being rested.

I think Sehwag's averages will be better/comparable to Sachin's.

Sachin, though a legend and having highest centuries is just 13th in the list of test averages. Even Sangakara is above him :eek:

zing

Zingle balls

He's been ridiculously consistent for about 30 months now in which he hasn't toured SA or England. I expect him to set the record straight when we tour SA later this year. He's become a phenomenal player.

The pitch wasn't particularly batsman friendly today, either. There was a lot of turn for a day 2 pitch and the Sri Lankans were defensive in their field settings against Sehwag, but let's not get facts in the way of bashing an Indian player for being a flat-track bully.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

Thanks

KM

His record in England isn't bad while the record in South Africa can be misleading as he played his debut series for us there(when we played as him a lower-middle order player). His record in NZ is terrible though, I'll give you that.

He is our most important batsman IMO in both tests and ODI(yes, even more than Sachin).

Not a surprise that Wisden declared him the "Cricketer of the Decade" some time ago

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Australian Wickets are very flat tracks these days and have been for a few years, Warne himself when looking ahead to the upcoming ashes said even tracks like Perth are now total featherbeds.

Sehwags an awesome player though, one of the most exciting to watch in full flow.

zing

Zingle balls
His record in England isn't bad while the record in South Africa can be misleading as he played his debut series for us there(when we played as him a lower-middle order player). His record in NZ is terrible though, I'll give you that.

He is our most important batsman IMO in both tests and ODI(yes, even more than Sachin).

Not a surprise that Wisden declared him the "Cricketer of the Decade" some time ago
Sehwag's approach to the game changes its dynamics. I've seen every single match of ours with him and without him for the past 3 years and it's remarkable how different a team we look without him. Any replacement we have for Sehwag, regardless of what kind of average they bring, is not good enough. His approach to the game sets the tone for us as a team.

The last Chennai test is a prime example.

Neutral

BTV

Sachin, though a legend and having highest centuries is just 13th in the list of test averages. Even Sangakara is above him :eek:
Shut up....get him to improve against the others...

You are wrong about tendulkar...brilliantly consistent away from home, AGAINST EVERYONE

in Bangladesh - 136.00(9 innings) - back to our usual selves!
in England - 62.00(22 innings)
in New Zealand - 49.52(18 innings)
in South Africa - 39.76(22 innings)

I left out australia, because like Sehwag he also has a brilliant average against them. So the worst away average he has is still basically 40, after such a long career...

As for players like Sangakarra having a better overall average than him, it means NOTHING.

Neutral

BTV
In a tough away series I know who I'd rather have in my team and it isn't Sewag.
Yeah you might not, and a few others might not...but there is definitely a method to his madness, and he really does set the tone for India.

It's as they used to say...As tendulkar goes, so goes India. In test cricket this is true for Sehwag, he sets up so many matches for them, even in the trying conditions.

I actually came in here to argue his case, but his record in some of the places was worse than I thought...but like the Indians have said, he will have a chance to right those wrongs in the next 12-18 months.

zing

Zingle balls
I actually came in here to argue his case, but his record in some of the places was worse than I thought...but like the Indians have said, he will have a chance to right those wrongs in the next 12-18 months.
It's laughable that Sehwag's NZ average is being used as a stick to beat him with by the poster above(ole's toe poke). He obviously hasn't actually watched India play much.

Sehwag has played 9 innings in NZ, out of that 6 were played the last time we toured them, in which the NZ pitches were ridiculously flat. There were 2 tests with 600+ scores. Jesse Ryder got a double century, Daniel Vettori got a century, it was that flat.

In the other 3 innings, the average team scores were about 130 to 140. People barely watch cricket and come in with misinformed opinions like this.

If you want to call him a flat track bully, watch the game first.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
The thing that separates the greats like Tendulkar etc. is they will have a very low standard deviation so they'll get most of their scores around their average. Sewag is a bit hit and miss, he'll score some huge hundreds but will also get out cheaply too often but still will maintain a high average. For eg. All he needs is a 150,0,0 to maintain an average of 50 in 3 innings but it still means he is inconsistent. Hence averages are hugely misleading.

zing

Zingle balls
As for players like Sangakarra having a better overall average than him, it means NOTHING.
The problem with the Sri Lankan players' averages is that they play too many tests at home, so their averages are not a good gauge of their ability. Can't blame them for it, though.. it's the ICC's fault. They never get to play in Australia or South Africa.

Sangakarra has played 67 tests in the sub-continent and 24 outside.

KM

Sehwag's approach to the game changes its dynamics. I've seen every single match of ours with him and without him for the past 3 years and it's remarkable how different a team we look without him. Any replacement we have for Sehwag, regardless of what kind of average they bring, is not good enough. His approach to the game sets the tone for us as a team.

The last Chennai test is a prime example.
Completely Agreed. This current test is also an example, normally teams in test matches score around 120 runs in 35 overs but due to the "Sehwag" factor India has scored around 50-60 runs more and therefore the test match is even right now. That Chennai test match is an excellent example Zing.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
It's laughable that Sehwag's NZ average is being used as a stick to beat him with by the poster above(ole's toe poke). He obviously hasn't actually watched India play much.
TBH I haven't. I've only seen much of him in England matches and he is inconsistent. Nowhere near the likes of Tendulkar.

zing

Zingle balls
TBH I haven't. I've only seen much of him in England matches and he is inconsistent. Nowhere near the likes of Tendulkar.
Sachin is in his own league, everyone will agree to that. The only thing I'm saying is wait till the Sehwag of today actually plays in seaming pitches and then decide. The away averages are misleading.

zing

Zingle balls
Completely Agreed. This current test is also an example, normally teams in test matches score around 120 runs in 35 overs but due to the "Sehwag" factor India has scored around 50-60 runs more and therefore the test match is even right now. That Chennai test match is an excellent example Zing.
Yep. I think if he plays another session, we can look at winning the match. Otherwise we'll probably see a draw.

zing

Zingle balls
Sewag has played 58 in the subcontinent and 21 outside.
That's kind of my point, isn't it? He hasn't played outside enough, and when he has, it was too early in his career when he was not the player he is today.

His england tests were in 2002. His debut SA series came in 2001.

wr8_utd

Well whether Sehwag's great, shit, overrated or whatever. We're going to miss him a lot once he's gone.

With Sachin, Dravid likely to retire soon and Sehwag on the wrong side of 30, Yuvraj either partying or injured, we need some new blood.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal

He's played more than 300 innings you numpty.

zing

Zingle balls
Heading to a good finish if we can bowl them out tomorrow. I reckon if set a target of 300 on the final day, we'll still go for it unless we lose wickets really quickly.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Kamran Akmal dropped for the Edgbaston test, although Butt claims he is "being rested". Meanwhile Yousuf says he is too tired to train, let alone play in the test match.

So the Pakistan team has got even less experienced than what it was at Lords, although the wicketkeeping should improve (hopefully!) If England bat first and score 300+, Pakistan will do well to draw the match, I have no confidence in the batting whatsoever.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So whos Pakistans second in command to Akmal for the keepers gloves then? and no Yousuf either? this could be over inside 3 days.
Zulqarnain Haider is Akmal's replacement. He'll be making his test debut, having played only one 20-20 three years ago.

3 days is a bit of a push, not because Pakistan's batting has got better, but because it's been raining in Birmingham the past few days. Here's hoping the rain continues...

Neutral

BTV
SL 77-4

Day 4 - 1st session.

They are in real trouble, I'd go so far as to say, India have already won this test. SL have a lead of only 66 runs.

Neutral

BTV
SL 97-7

This is going to be all over by the 2nd session....what a result. It looked like a contest was on...and then off again, and now not even the monsoon season in the subcontinent can stop India from walking away with a test win, and a drawn series.

Neutral

BTV
SL - 182/8

Lead goes out to 170, the SL top and middle order will be bitterly disappointed. The tail adding a ton of runs with 1 recognized batsmen holding things together...

Hour before close of play yesterday, they were looking at a draw at worst, now they face a certain defeat.

Dhoni will also be disappointed his bowlers have not wrapped this up yet, from 97-7 to nearly double that score.

Neutral

BTV
SL 222-8

Mendis with a career high score, and Samaraweera keeps chugging along. We will now without doubt get a 5th days cricket.

KM

Typical India this, we've been desperately missing Kumble in this respect(also in other things). He used to get tail-enders out very quickly, our pacers really are awful. Think we'll lose this match.

Neutral

BTV
Typical India this, we've been desperately missing Kumble in this respect(also in other things). He used to get tail-enders out very quickly, our pacers really are awful. Think we'll lose this match.
Don't think you will...the pitch is not doing anything at all. Mendis looks a proper batsmen on it :lol::lol:

I'd fancy India to chase down whatever target gets put in front of them.

Neutral

BTV
SL 243-9

Finally they break the partnership with the new ball, though Samaraweera will be bitterly disappointed with a soft dismissal, after working so hard.