Cricket

prateik

Well done Shardul.

An advantage of the lead being small is that Aus wont take risk and go for quick runs now.. a big lead would have given them the luxury of taking a few more risks to score at a fast rate.. With the lead this small, they wont risk losing wickets.. they'll probably bat for 3 sessions.. India, worst case, will have to bat out 3.5-4 sessions..

With some help from the rain, it might be a lot less.

prateik

Thought not taking the single was silly.. but that''ll do.

A no look 6 :lol:

mav_9me

I wish Washington had gone for it instead of trying to play usual game.

prateik

Natrajan is nearly 30 and has barely played any cricket.. how late did he start?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That was horrible from Starc. Bowling a full over to Natarajan and only two balls at the stump.

Sanche7

From Cricinfo - In walks T Natarajan. He has five ducks and five zero not-outs in his last 10 first-class innings. He's currently on 1 now. Reminds me of that drake meme, first class cricket - Nah, Debut test match against the best bowling lineup in their stronghold - high score (even though it's just 1)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
What a comeback by India! Amazing.

MDFC Manager

Brilliant effort, now need to put up a good defensive bowling effort, force Australia to play 3 sessions

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Players in the team for purely for their batting abilities scored fewer runs than the rest of the team. Throwing away 4 wickets after settling in was poor showing from the batsmen. Now the bowlers need to bowl their hearts out again to prevent India from having to bat for more than 4 sessions. Batting conditions look good, so might be an uphill challenge for the novice bowling attack. More of the trial by fire for the youngsters then.

jungledrums

Rain forecast for Brisbane Monday and Tuesday. Almost certainly a draw if that eventuates.

mav_9me

Players in the team for purely for their batting abilities scored fewer runs than the rest of the team. Throwing away 4 wickets after settling in was poor showing from the batsmen. Now the bowlers need to bowl their hearts out again to prevent India from having to bat for more than 4 sessions. Batting conditions look good, so might be an uphill challenge for the novice bowling attack. More of the trial by fire for the youngsters then.
The impetus is on Australia to score quickly. If we bowl a good line and length they might end up chasing the game and giving us a chance.

Sanche7

Looks like Warner is going for it. Good plan as it might unsettle the inexperienced bowlers plus he has played all of these guys in the IPL.

prateik

Aus wont declare before a score of 300.. (lead 330+) .. they'll have to bat all day and hope to get india all out on day 5..

Which is do-able.. if we get all the sessions of play.

MDFC Manager

Aus wont declare before a score of 300.. (lead 330+) .. they'll have to bat all day and hope to get india all out on day 5..

I think they'll have 300 by tea tomorrow, considering extended sessions and not considering any rain. We'll have to go defensive I think.

Sanche7

330 will be risky for them. Will be a brave decision if you ask me. I can see them trying to attack the bowlers since they are inexperienced and the pitch is flat but with the likes of Rohit, Pant, Aggarwal in the team, 300ish in 100+ could be risky, especially if the pitch keeps getting flatter.

prateik

I think they'll have 300 by tea tomorrow, considering extended sessions and not considering any rain. We'll have to go defensive I think.
280 runs in 2 and a bit sessions (30 min extra) ? or do you mean a lead of 300..

Either way, if they do, they still wont declare at that and give India 4 sessions to bat and chase 300 on a decent batting wicket.

Best case for Aus, they bat till an hr after tea and get 15 overs at India and a whole day 5 ...

Considering the rain was forecasted for days 2,4 and 5.. and it wiped out a session on day 2.. I expect the rain to wipe out at least another session..
Keep it tight early on tomorrow or get a couple of wickets and it'll start slipping away from Aus.

Not a bad position to be in for us.

330 will be risky for them. Will be a brave decision if you ask me. I can see them trying to attack the bowlers since they are inexperienced and the pitch is flat but with the likes of Rohit, Pant, Aggarwal in the team, 300ish in 100+ could be risky, especially if the pitch keeps getting flatter.
Its about the timing of the declaration.. if they can get to that score with 15-20 overs left tomorrow, they'll have a crack and the Indian batsman will play it safe.. losing a wicket will be a blow.. we'll be defensive.. they'll have a go.
300 on the last day will be tricky with the lack of batting depth.. we'll probably go into a shell if we lose any wicket.

So.. I'd expect Aus to declare if they can get to that score tomorrow with 15 overs left to play. risky.. but worth it.

Sanche7

Need to get Warner soon. He can take away the game from India in the first session.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao

A lot rests on Warner, if he gets going and can get a 100 it goes a long way.

Do expect a very conservative declaration though, Clarke would risk setting 270-300 for India to win but Paine will most likely try and get 350

zing

Zingle balls

Two of the shots of the match(series?).

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Unbelievable. The mental strength we've shown in this series is uncharacteristic of an Indian team. For far too long have we given up after 1 or 2 matches in an away series. But to do this and that, too, with so many injuries, in Australia, makes this our greatest away performances. I don't even care if we lose this match. I'm incredibly proud of this team.

I go to sleep thinking the match lost only to be pleasantly surprised when I wake up. Take a bow Thakur and Sundar.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Just found out this is Washington Sundar's first first-class game since 2017. What an effort from him.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
But the Yorker was never bowled by Australia, just constant short stuff and not good short bowling as well (apart from Hazlewood)

Terrible bowling tactics by Australia today.
Yea. Thats what I mean. Would have liked to see some timed Yorkers in between. Just didn't see that quality mixed through.
It was just excess of short ball and bouncers.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Yea. Thats what I mean. Would have liked to see some timed Yorkers in between. Just didn't see that quality mixed through.
It was just excess of short ball and bouncers.
I get what you mean, it is also very jarring when Cummins came on in the last session and just bowled at the stumps and he got the break through.

Questions must be asked about Paine's captaincy and Langer as coach.

zing

Zingle balls
I get what you mean, it is also very jarring when Cummins came on in the last session and just bowled at the stumps and he got the break through.

Questions must be asked about Paine's captaincy and Langer as coach.
Paine will be replaced after this I think. Australia have a potentially great team and it shouldn’t be wasted.