Cricket

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
This is a laughable suggestion. Isn’t test cricket a test of playing abilities? If home team advantage is something that needs to be outlawed, then how do you prepare, say a turning pitch in New Zealand? They don’t even get enough sunlight a year, that India receives in a week or two. These are different conditions for a reason.
You Bum! We get plenty of sunshine, we also however get lots of rain!

wait... edit...India has monsoons....

NM

This kind of wicket should be banned. India did the same to England last winter.

Any kind of wicket that is prepared to suit the home team should be outlawed, whether it's a green seamer in Eng or a turner in the sun-continent. Give away teams a fair chance at least.
Have you watched the game? This is a good pitch. NZ have just been shit. The last test was a poor pitch.. It was too slow. Relying on scorecards will tell you nothing.

JohnnyKills

I agree with this, but I would add a few things.

In my honest opinion, based on what I have seen recently, England's pitches aren't massively favourable to them and haven't been for a while. I have read a lot of comments where some India fans are convinced that every English surface is a 'green top', but even if this were true, the greenness wears off by day 2. Overhead conditions can also be pretty unpredictable but are in no way 'planned' by the home side.

The Oval, Lords, and Old Trafford are usually on the roster of pitches selected for the main tour and they tend to favour spin and fast bowling, where England have historically lacked options. England's record at these grounds in recent times is pretty ordinary because they have not had a front line spinner since Graeme Swann, who was probably a 'once in a generation' type player for us. If you get The Oval at the end of a dry English summer, then your spinners will be in the game while England will be turning to Jack Leach or Dom Bess. Same with Old Trafford and even Lords nowadays. Generally speaking, summers in England are getting hotter and it's no coincidence that England tend to fare worse when tests are played down south. Contrast that to the seventies when temperatures were a lot cooler and a game was even snowed off in June 1975 between Derbyshire and Lancashire. To suggest that the deck is stacked against India in England requires a degree of exaggeration.

Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, and Headingley tend to harness more 'English' conditions that favour swing and seam. It's worth noting that England could include other clearly trickier grounds like Chester-le-Street and Hove if they wanted to exagerrate their advantage, but an India/Pakistan series is not so much about England trouncing the opposition as creating an even contest that people are going to watch at the ground or at home.

On the other hand, in India, if a pitch turns big from ball one, batting is just going to get progressively harder. The spectacle just becomes monotonous and predictable fare, so I don't think this is a clear case of 'six of one...'
Fair points. Do think England have tailored the pitches to their advantage though - 2015 Ashes springs to mind.

JohnnyKills

Have you watched the game? This is a good pitch. NZ have just been shit. The last test was a poor pitch.. It was too slow. Relying on scorecards will tell you nothing.
The amount of balls ending up at leg slip would indicate lots of turn.

NM

The amount of balls ending up at leg slip would indicate lots of turn.
Yeah I mean one team has scored 500+ on a rank turner, and the other team were scoring at 3+ in their second inning... Terrible pitch :lol::lol::lol:

Look at NZ's 2nd inning for example.
1st wicket - straight ball
2nd wicket - little turn
3rd wicket - Ross Taylor was a moron (he slogged every ball he was there the commentators were furious
4th wicket - lofted attacking shot for no reason
5th wicket - run out.

All spinners other than Ashwin being spanked..

Watch the game or don't commment tbh.

AshRK

Yeah I mean one team has scored 500+ on a rank turner, and the other team were scoring at 3+ in their second inning... Terrible pitch :lol::lol::lol:

Look at NZ's 2nd inning for example.
1st wicket - straight ball
2nd wicket - little turn
3rd wicket - Ross Taylor was a moron (he slogged every ball he was there the commentators were furious
4th wicket - lofted attacking shot for no reason
5th wicket - run out.

All spinners other than Ashwin being spanked..

I bet if the same score happened in England or Australia , we would have heard praise for their fast bowlers. Remember how there was no mention of pitch when India got bundled for 36 or when Anderson rips through opposition in cloudy conditions. Maybe it's time for touring teams to learn to play spin rather than moaning always.

SinNombre

Terrible pitch :lol::lol::lol:

It is the same moronic cliches every time India spanks someone at home.

In the past, the retort would have been to wait until they travel but that’s kinda hard when they have won the last 2 series in Australia and the last one in England.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It is the same moronic cliches every time India spanks someone at home.

In the past, the retort would have been to wait until they travel but that’s kinda hard when they have won the last 2 series in Australia and the last one in England.
Not sure you can refuse to play the last game and then declare victory.

NM

You've not a leg to stand on here.
Like you don't after your team left SA? Or after your batsmen didn't when they saw a spinning ball in India or decent fast bowlers when we toured England?

DOTA

Like you don't after your team left SA? Or after your batsmen didn't when they saw a spinning ball in India or decent fast bowlers when we toured England?
This has nothing to do with the fact India haven't won the series.

NM

This has nothing to do with the fact India haven't won the series.
Being pedantic for the sake of it. I will enjoy seeing your boys spanked in the Ashes, though I usually want Aus to lose more

DOTA

Being pedantic for the sake of it. I will enjoy seeing your boys spanked in the Ashes, though I usually want Aus to lose more
What? :lol:

EDIT - I feel like you're both having me on here. India refused to play the last game, the boards then decided to play the final game next year. How on earth are you getting so defensive at me telling you India haven't won a series that both parties agree they haven't won?

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
I bet if the same score happened in England or Australia , we would have heard praise for their fast bowlers. Remember how there was no mention of pitch when India got bundled for 36 or when Anderson rips through opposition in cloudy conditions. Maybe it's time for touring teams to learn to play spin rather than moaning always.
agree - see someone comment earlier that Indians complain about the pitch.. definitely not true. It's so internalised as part of cricketing culture here in India for 20+ years year that we were terrible on pitches supporting movement. Many players are routinely discussed as with the asterisk of not being good enough away from home.

I love it when we play in swinging/seaming conditions away - and Indian fans are infamous for complaining about a lot of things, but not this.

When the shoe is on the other foot, though, they sure do complain a lot. It's like we're not allowed to smash anyone at home. Shastri and Kohli are on record multiple times saying they'll play on any pitch.. other teams need to bring that attitude.

Not to mention -- we're missing 3-4 big players.. NZ have been crap

DOTA

agree - see someone comment earlier that Indians complain about the pitch.. definitely not true. It's so internalised as part of cricketing culture here in India for 20+ years year that we were terrible on pitches supporting movement. Many players are routinely discussed as with the asterisk of not being good enough away from home.

I love it when we play in swinging/seaming conditions away - and Indian fans are infamous for complaining about a lot of things, but not this
I only see Indian fans bring it up in response to others complaining that spinning pitches are unfair and the argument is always 'both should be allowed' not that we should try and stop the ball seaming or swinging.

AshRK

I only see Indian fans bring it up in response to others complaining that spinning pitches are unfair and the argument is always 'both should be allowed' not that we should try and stop the ball seaming or swinging.
But how are spinning pitches unfair. Why shouldn't touring teams learn to play spin. I don't remember Golden aussie side moaning about the pitch in fact they used to come to India and give us a fight.

Also the original post was such pitches should be removed when in reality their has been nothing wrong with the pitch but in fact NZ have been crap and don't know how to play spin. I agree some of the pitches in England's tour of India earlier this year were poor but this pitch has not been poor is the point.

It's funny how you accuse Indian supporters to be defensive when it's a non Indian supporter who brought the pitch argument, which It seems he clearly didn't see the match but just saw the scorecard and presumed the pitch is shit.

DOTA

But how are spinning pitches unfair. Why shouldn't touring teams learn to play spin. I don't remember Golden aussie side moaning about the pitch in fact they used to come to India and give us a fight.

Also the original post was such pitches should be removed when in reality their has been nothing wrong with the pitch but in fact NZ have been crap and don't know how to play spin. I agree some of the pitches in England's tour of India earlier this year were poor but this pitch has not been poor is the point.

It's funny how you accuse Indian supporters to be defensive when it's a non Indian supporter who brought the pitch argument, which It seems he clearly didn't see the match but just saw the scorecard and presumed the pitch is shit.
They aren't unfair. Are you confusing me with someone else?

AshRK

They aren't unfair. Are you confusing me with someone else?
But you were the one mentioning that you only see Indian fans in response to others complaining about the pitch. Obviously it will be Indian fans who will be calling out that poster not Pakistan fans or SL fans.

DOTA

But you were the one mentioning that you only see Indian fans in response to others complaining about the pitch. Obviously it will be Indian fans who will be calling out that poster not Pakistan fans or SL fans.
Oh, sorry, that's not what I meant. What I mean is when Indian fans talk about the swing and seam they only do so when they're responding to someone bringing up spin. I wasn't saying it's only Indian fans who ever bring up swing and seam as a home advantage.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Right decision to remove Kohli from captaincy but what a disgraceful way to end it.

Loads of dressing room leaks right now. Ofcourse Ganguly is behind it, one of the most toxic people around.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not surprised tbh. English fans here are a tedious lot when it comes to pitches.

DOTA

We're lovely, actually.

DOTA

Right decision to remove Kohli from captaincy but what a disgraceful way to end it.

Loads of dressing room leaks right now. Ofcourse Ganguly is behind it, one of the most toxic people around.
Only thing I really know about Ganguly as a person is how unpopular he was in the dressing room during his spell with Lancs. Which, given they had him back years later, I'm not sure how seriously to take.

What do you find objectionable about him?

IRN-BRUno

Cricket South Africa unfairly discriminated against players on the basis of race, according to the Social Justice and Nation-Building (SJN) commission's final report. In the 235-page document, submitted to CSA, ombudsman Dumisa Ntsebeza concluded that the administration, as well as former captain and current director Graeme Smith, current head coach Mark Boucher and former captain AB de Villiers had all engaged in prejudicial conduct.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...-against-players-on-the-basis-of-race-1293419

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
An advert for the Allen Stanford documentary just popped up - I knew he was in prison but not that his sentence is 110 years!

zing

Zingle balls
Ajaz Patel got dropped from the squad.

May be the right decision but that must be the biggest fall from a peak for anyone in cricket history. 10 in an innings and dropped.

DOTA

I just heard someone pronounce Moeen Ali the same way you'd say Mohammed Ali and it was oddly jarring.

An advert for the Allen Stanford documentary just popped up - I knew he was in prison but not that his sentence is 110 years!
Is that a TV thingy or the Greg James podcast?