Cristian Romero

pascell

I don't have any opinion on the player but you really do have to wonder what the feck Juventus was doing with this guy. They buy him for 26m euro in summer 2019, immediately loan him back to Genoa, then loan him again in summer 2020 for two years to Atalanta with a 16m euro option to buy and a token 2m loan fee. Now Atlanta will exercise that option for sure, probably to sell him on for 45m euros.

In sum, if he does get sold this summer at the rumored price:

-Genoa made 26m euro and got a year of the player
-Atalanta made 27m euro and got a year of the player
-Juventus lost 8m euro for absolutely nothing

Paratici is a genius.
Yet Spurs fans are heralding Paratici as a genius, laughable what spin some will put on things to make it sound like their club are improving.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'd be very wary of signing a CB off atalanta honestly, unless it's leeds doing it

He's a great 1on1 defender in Italy, but there's little to judge him by beyond that because, atalanta...

He should be great at man marking in general, even in a more "normal" zone/man hybrid system which every club bar leeds and atalanta use these days, and he's very aggressive, quite fast and good in the air, as well fairly comfortable on the ball

1on1 ability though is one of the biggest points of divergence between the PL and the rest. Difficult to say he'd be equally good at it in PL...
He was brilliant at Genoa too

Number32

I am still scarred from Rojo!
Agree, Rojo was a beast in World Cup 2014. But three month later he got bullied by Richi De Laet, a United's reject. And don't forget when muppets want Ottamendi too, thanks god he choose City.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Linked again today . Atalanta is looking for 60m. Think it's BS.

Would be a brilliant signing for 40m.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I've never seen or heard of him before but this feels like it could be one of those hidden gem like signings rather than a Torres or Kounde who are being overly hyped in the media

Ekeke

or like Rojo or Bailly
Bailly maybe. He had a good season with Villarreal before we signed him, one of the better prospects in Spain. Cant remember if Villarreal were that good at that time, but Atalanta were 3rd ahead of Juventus and Napoli with Romero as their main CB (funny because Romero was on loan from Juventus and they finished on the same points)

Rojo was at Sporting and played for his national team as a left back, not CB

Ekeke

I've never seen or heard of him before but this feels like it could be one of those hidden gem like signings rather than a Torres or Kounde who are being overly hyped in the media
I'm guessing you just didnt pay any attention to Serie A last season then? Also Atalanta he played 7 of 8 games in the champions league for Atalanta. They got further than us! Got thrashed by Liverpool once, and then beat them 2-0 in the other game. So in terms of value maybe? But I dont think hes that hidden when hes playing for a team that got pretty far in the champions league, playing against Liverpool, Ajax and going out to Real Madrid and finished top 3 in Serie A.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Linked again today . Atalanta is looking for 60m. Think it's BS.

Would be a brilliant signing for 40m.
All of the links are from weak sources like Tuttosport, Gazzetta/Corriere dello Sport, etc. None of the more reliable outlets (Alfredo Pedulla, Gianluca di Marzio, Sky Italia, etc.) have reported any developments beyond our interest (which most clubs would have, honestly).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm guessing you just didnt pay any attention to Serie A last season then? Also Atalanta he played 7 of 8 games in the champions league for Atalanta. They got further than us! Got thrashed by Liverpool once, and then beat them 2-0 in the other game. So in terms of value maybe? But I dont think hes that hidden when hes playing for a team that got pretty far in the champions league, playing against Liverpool, Ajax and going out to Real Madrid and finished top 3 in Serie A.
I don't watch any other football other than PL and only watch other English sides play in the UCL if they're playing in a big game

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't watch any other football other than PL and only watch other English sides play in the UCL if they're playing in a big game
Like most on here. You’re just being honest and admitting the fact.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
All of the links are from weak sources like Tuttosport, Gazzetta/Corriere dello Sport, etc. None of the more reliable outlets (Alfredo Pedulla, Gianluca di Marzio, Sky Italia, etc.) have reported any developments beyond our interest (which most clubs would have, honestly).
I know. Just wish we actually sign him. Vibes of VVD.

Golden Nugget

Genuine question - how many center backs from Serie A have come and played in the Premier League?

I can only think of Ogbonna.

umairmufc

[/QUOTE]
Genuine question - how many center backs from Serie A have come and played in the Premier League?

Marco Materazzi played for a season at Everton.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Off the top of my head, Desailly joined Chelsea from Milan, Blanc joined us from Inter... Can't think of many others though
Off the top of my head:
  • Antonio Rüdiger from Roma to Chelsea
  • Andrea Ranocchia on loan to Hull City from Inter
After looking up the outgoing Serie A transfers:
  • Wesley Hoedt from Lazio to Southampton
  • Matija Nastasic from Fiorentina to Manchester City
  • Martin Laursen from AC Milan to Aston Villa
  • Miguel Angel Britos from Napoli to Watford
In total: 9 defenders (8 if you don't want to count Desailly given that he was mostly a defensive midfielder for AC Milan)

MDFC Manager

I've had enough of bat shit crazy Argentinian CBs for this century, please fecking no.
Yup, I'm done with that shit too. In fact, given we've still got the likes of Bailly and Jones on our books, I don't want a bat shit crazy CB of any nationality.

krentz

Vidic'-esque bullet header :drool:

BTw not sure why'd people compare him to Rojo? Rojo was random name we picked after he had excellent wC in 2014, while Cristian Romero is regarded as the best young CB in serie A these past 2 seasons. The only similarity between the 2 is that both are Argentinian. That's all.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We play very differently to Atalanta and PL is much faster/less structured than Serie A - genuinely no idea if he'd do well but looks to have the raw attributes at least. Anyone actually watched them enough to know him as a player?
Aren’t they basically all out attack? While we set up pretty defensive, wouldn’t he look even better playing for us?

abundance

Supports
Inter
Off the top of my head:
  • Antonio Rüdiger from Roma to Chelsea
  • Andrea Ranocchia on loan to Hull City from Inter
After looking up the outgoing Serie A transfers:
  • Wesley Hoedt from Lazio to Southampton
  • Matija Nastasic from Fiorentina to Manchester City
  • Martin Laursen from AC Milan to Aston Villa
  • Miguel Angel Britos from Napoli to Watford
In total: 9 defenders (8 if you don't want to count Desailly given that he was mostly a defensive midfielder for AC Milan)
A couple generations back, I remember Gianluca Festa from Inter to Boro, Marco Materazzi from Perugia to Everton, Mikael Silvestre before Blanc from Inter to United

bsCallout

I think he looks good on the little I've seen. For 40mil get it done.

tomaldinho1

Aren’t they basically all out attack? While we set up pretty defensive, wouldn’t he look even better playing for us?
I feel like he 'should' be good in our system, which I agree is defensive, because he seems aggressive and aerially good, the ball playing part isn't really that relevant for us and I'm assuming all professional footballers have a basic level of passing. He looks like he could be in that mould but I do also think Serie A is slower and less physically intense, it's hard to know how different leagues will adapt to the PL.

Just look at Lindelof, I remember some articles talking about his speed and mobility as well as being imposing at 6ft 2 when he was coming from Benfica. Then take someone like Dias, who is great but also quite slow, Pep changed his tactics to accommodate Dias/Stones as a partnership...we don't seem to have any plan B so I think we have to sign rapid and strong CBs as a priority, particularly because Maguire isn't going anywhere and he lacks mobility.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
A couple generations back, I remember Gianluca Festa from Inter to Boro, Marco Materazzi from Perugia to Everton, Mikael Silvestre before Blanc from Inter to United
Crap, how could I have forgotten about Materazzi? :annoyed:

Regarding Silvestre, didn't he mostly play at left back for Inter? Like Desailly, I'm reluctant to count him because of that.

Ekeke

Crap, how could I have forgotten about Materazzi? :annoyed:

Regarding Silvestre, didn't he mostly play at left back for Inter? Like Desailly, I'm reluctant to count him because of that.
Yes he was more of a leftback when we signed him

izec

He was rated already at Genoa. Not surprised he is getting recognition. I already mentioned him 2 years ago on here as one Argentina should play regularly moving forward after the last world cup.

I thought he was a bit of a hot head. He got a lot of yellow cards in the past and does sometimes some risky tackles.

As long as Varane is on the market, i dont see us going for another CB

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Looks very, very good. Guess most do in a video. His injury record is also good. Maybe that is an indication that he, despite being aggressive, plays with a bit of brain? Our aggressive defenders (Rojo, Bailly and Jones have been so injury prone).

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Really like this guy. Old school defending with a little bit of silk thrown in. Love to see him at United if the price is right