Cristian Romero

krentz

Quality control
I feel like he 'should' be good in our system, which I agree is defensive, because he seems aggressive and aerially good, the ball playing part isn't really that relevant for us and I'm assuming all professional footballers have a basic level of passing. He looks like he could be in that mould but I do also think Serie A is slower and less physically intense, it's hard to know how different leagues will adapt to the PL.

Just look at Lindelof, I remember some articles talking about his speed and mobility as well as being imposing at 6ft 2 when he was coming from Benfica. Then take someone like Dias, who is great but also quite slow, Pep changed his tactics to accommodate Dias/Stones as a partnership...we don't seem to have any plan B so I think we have to sign rapid and strong CBs as a priority, particularly because Maguire isn't going anywhere and he lacks mobility.
Both Victoria Linda and Ruben Dias came from same Portugese club, so i dont understand your comparisson. Rapid and strong CB is exactly what people described of Cristian Romero.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Crap, how could I have forgotten about Materazzi? :annoyed:

Regarding Silvestre, didn't he mostly play at left back for Inter? Like Desailly, I'm reluctant to count him because of that.
ah, yeah, you're right, he was sort of a left back for us back then.

I say "sort of" as we were playing a deliciously retro system those days under Simoni and then caretakar Lucescu, it was basically a throwback to vintage '80 serie A "zona mista" - so we nominally had a back four but one fullback played more like a wide CB in a back three.

gajender

Yes, Seems like they want to get rid of Matip
Irrelevant Liverpool aren't bringing in two first team starters without assessing how VVD does this season, they have already done their CB shopping for the season

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Never watch him before, but based on stats, defensively he's very good and probably the best one out there compares to our targets and our current CB (although conceded lot of fouls). But on the ball, he's not very good compares to Lindelof, Torres, Maguire, Varane, and Kounde. You expect him to do more on the ball since he played in an adventurous team like Atalanta. It will be an interesting signing if he end up joining us, could either become the new Vidic or the new Rojo.

Romero vs Others

sp_107

Are you ok to get rid of both Bailey/Lindelof and bring in Varane & Romero ?

We can get 40M for Bailey/Lindelof and thrn sign Varane/Romero for 90M, means with 50M net spemd we can fix our CD places with Maguire/Varane/Romero/Taunzebe

We could try 3 in CD too

Gandalf

Are you ok to get rid of both Bailey/Lindelof and bring in Varane & Romero ?

We can get 40M for Bailey/Lindelof and thrn sign Varane/Romero for 90M, means with 50M net spemd we can fix our CD places with Maguire/Varane/Romero/Taunzebe

We could try 3 in CD too
I was almost with you until I realized you were including Taunzebe. I would rather sell Axel and keep Victor but failing that if Phil Jones is fit again he is easily ahead of Axel for me.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
He only played 78 minutes because he was carrying a minor injury, but he was an absolute wall today.

Easily the most talented central defender Argentina have produced in a LONG time.

Flanders Devil

I was almost with you until I realized you were including Taunzebe. I would rather sell Axel and keep Victor but failing that if Phil Jones is fit again he is easily ahead of Axel for me.
I was almost with you until … Phil Jones.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Strongly linked to Spurs currently.

Rushed back for Copa America final and along with Emi Martinez pushed the Argentina backline up a level.

What I don't get in this is don't Juve own him and have been loaning him out? So surely in 12 months time ideal to bring him back to replace Chellini and Bonucci also hitting his mid 30s now so he won't be around in 3-4 years time either.

AgentP

Rushed back for Copa America final and along with Emi Martinez pushed the Argentina backline up a level.

What I don't get in this is don't Juve own him and have been loaning him out? So surely in 12 months time ideal to bring him back to replace Chellini and Bonucci also hitting his mid 30s now so he won't be around in 3-4 years time either.
Atalanta had a loan with buy option for Romero. The price was quite low around 15m euros. Atalanta will take up that option this summer and he will become their player.

izec

Arent they after the Japanese CB from Bologna?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Arent they after the Japanese CB from Bologna?
My guess is that the links to Romero are just a way to put pressure on Bologna in the last stage of that negotiation.

I’m not sure Spurs have the money to buy both Romero and Gil without selling players first. Atalanta was rumored to be asking 60m euro for Romero and Gil is rumored to cost 25m plus bonuses (plus Lamela, but that's not important). Gil and Tomiyasu for 15-20m sounds a lot more likely than Gil and Romero.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Would be a brilliant signing for Spurs. Under a defensive manager like Nuno, he is going to be superb.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What a cnut. Let's hope Maguire smashes him next time he plays against him, whoever he's playing for.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He's got a lot of rough edges to his game and has been at least partially responsible for a number of goals recently (got dominated in the air for the Burnley goal for example). Was poor on the second United goal today, getting sucked up too far out of the line looking at Pogba and then very slow to realize the danger posed by Sancho and recover into that space. I'm not quite sure what the marking scheme was supposed to be on the corner but he started off tangling with Ronaldo and that's who scored the goal. Something went wrong in the communication between him and Doherty because both Varane and Ronaldo had far too much space. Romero spun off to try and track Varane but he would have had an even easier free header than Ronaldo if the corner was lower.

To me he has a lot of tools but maybe lacking a bit in the brains/experience department. Also loves a yellow card and a bad foul.

TheReligion

Abusive
Was great seeing Ronaldo rag doll him to win the header at the end.

Quite poetic that he shouted in Maguire‘s face yet he was too weak and lost his man for United’s winner.

Nickelodeon

As a CB himself, it is quite weird and classless for him to celebrate in Maguire’s face after that OG. Knew in that very moment that karma would get him soon. Didn’t think it would be this soon.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As a CB himself, it is quite weird and classless for him to celebrate in Maguire’s face after that OG. Knew in that very moment that karma would get him soon. Didn’t think it would be this soon.
They must've been giving each other a bit of shit at a previous corner or set piece. Otherwise it's pretty strange behaviour.

Tarrou

I quite liked it

wouldn't mind us having a massive twat like that in our defence

slored1

I like him tbf. Has some balls on him and is actually a good player unlike our pus*ies.