5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie_ni

The coach did well to bring him on because it was 1-0, and Ronaldo is the perfect guy to be on the end of a counter attack. Not even 5 minutes after he comes on, 1-1 and United momentum is killed.

Are we really gonna have the same discussion again the next few days?
Ah yes it was Ronaldos fault they scored.

The United

No one is blaming him for anything really - it's just was easy for some fans to see the difference to some of us how we played before he came (on as a sub) vs how we played after.

Some fans don't see it and that's just how it is.
Again, we dropped off due to not playing like that since like ever. And, we will never keeping that 5 or 10 mins interval of play for long. Never.

Some fans don't see past their own agenda.

United in sin

We lost our intensity up top when he came on. Sancho was a constant counterattack threat and you could tell Chelseas backline was relieved when he got subbed.

Ronaldo was poor on and off the ball. There was a moment where he picked up a ball on the left (thought he was offside myself) but looked so short of confidence taking on his marker and was very easily dispossessed.

bakalhau

Ah yes it was Ronaldos fault they scored.
I meant otherwise - I agreed with the sub, liked Carrick's mentality to try and end the game, if possible, in the counter.

It's just the penalty right after the sub killed momentum and Chelsea went back to playing like 1st half.

El Jefe

Its a shame we didn't keep the lead for a bit longer after he came on, he could've had a few openings. After they got the goal and had momentum we just fed on scraps so he became rather pointless.

bakalhau

Its a shame we didn't keep the lead for a bit longer after he came on, he could've had a few openings. After they got the goal and had momentum we just fed on scraps so he became rather pointless.
Yeah, my thoughts too. I liked Carrick's idea to be fair, penalty killed that idea quickly though.

arnie_ni

I meant otherwise - I agreed with the sub, liked Carrick's mentality to try and end the game, if possible, in the counter.

It's just the penalty right after the sub killed momentum and Chelsea went back to playing like 1st half.
Ah I see apologies. Agree then.

Nordmore

There must be a clause in his contract that states he must play at least 30' every match I think. Last time against Everton he was subbed on by 5x' and this match by 64'. And both subs didn't make any footballing sense at all.

RepardReece

Playing a defensive compact team that tries to defensively control and counter attack is different to not having any control of the match.

Chelsea started carving us wide open with players all over the pitch, cutting us through the middle and we couldn't even defend well afterwards.

Anyway, if you disagree then fine - that's your opinion.

I'm not the only one who thinks this as read above.
Tempo in the second half changed after our goal / before Ronaldo came on, we were no different with and without him. Your bias is pretty pathetic.

All be it, he did do nothing after coming on

captaincantona

So unlucky the penalty came when it did...we had a bit of momentum and would have loved to see Ronny on the end of some balls into the box. He was ineffective when he came on because we very much handed back the initiative to Chelsea...but on another day that substitution is spot on.

lex talionis

I didn’t like the substitution to bring on Ronaldo. We could and should have brought on Lingard instead at that point, as he does have harassment of opposing players in his locker.

SonyaCross493

Feel sorry and sad for Ronny and everyone who purchased Ronaldo shirts etc after his very important goal against Villarreal to get benched in one of the biggest games of the season against Chelsea he doesn't feel part of a good result.. it doesn't feel right Keane was right you don't bring Ronaldo back to the club to bench him.. he isn't an impact substitute like a youngster with pace. He either starts or you leave him out completely. And you don't buy Ronny just to spite him joining Manchester City and then bench him to ruin the rest of the lads career.. that's out of order and inhumane. If Pep Guardiola and Manchester City wanted him I'm sure they knew that goal-scoring is still the hardest part of football. And having a goal-scorer even if you have to compensate for is worth his weight in gold. More positives than negatives.

and now United got a good result a draw away to Chelsea without him it'll empower the ones who want Ronaldo to be benched permanently or to leave the club. When United played rubbish and I didn't see a difference between Rashford and Sancho pressing compared to when Ronny played it's just United got lucky against Chelsea who was a bit toothless unlike Liverpool and City. Plus Ronaldo when he came on headed the ball away a few times to prevent a goal. Defending in different ways

without Ronaldo we ain't going through to the Last 16 of the Champions League.. that Alone made the club 10 million pounds and paid for his transfer fee. Never mind all the commercial success etc

so yeah if Rangnick can't find a place for Ronaldo in the team it's going to be a very short lived Ronaldo stint. I kinda blame Gary Neville too who created this narrative that Ronaldo doesn't press.. now it's all anyone talks about.. like United press amazing without him when it's not true we never pressed well last season as a team and even last night Rashford and Sancho wasn't pressing I didn't see a difference between them and Ronny.. Cavani yes but individuals not as a team. Ronaldo has NEVER pressed even when he was 21 so why anyone expected him too now at 36 years old beggars belief..you knew that before signing him surely what he gives to the club..

I don't expect Gary Neville to do a pressing tactical comparison of Rashford and Sancho last night compared to Ronaldo all season as it was the very similar. And he would look foolish. Gary Neville has a lot of power and influence unfortunately.

case In point look at how rubbish Juventus are this season without Ronny. That could be United's future next season and then everyone will say Ronaldo was playing with crap and carrying the team by scoring goals on scraps and half-chances. Imaging how many goals he would score with the chances Manchester City create.. maybe he will regret not joining them who knows..

it'll be sad to see Ronny leave I've enjoyed seeing him back. But I understand if he wants to start in his last few years of his career and have a chance to win trophies as he must be shocked how low standards have dropped at the club since he returned. Maybe with Sporting Lisbon or MLS. Plus the wages he is on isn't sustainable as a bench player for Manchester United he's too important.

Viva Ronaldo.

Last edited:
I doubt Ronaldo would be too excited with a draw against Chelsea to be fair Sonya.
The fuss with him is so daft, he, like everyone else should be rested from time to time, and whilst we’re playing so poorly, yesterday was probably a good time for that rest.
He’ll be in versus Arsenal and be much better for this.

SonyaCross493

I doubt Ronaldo would be too excited with a draw against Chelsea to be fair Sonya.
The fuss with him is so daft, he, like everyone else should be rested from time to time, and whilst we’re playing so poorly, yesterday was probably a good time for that rest.
He’ll be in versus Arsenal and be much better for this.
probably. Could be Rangnicks first game so will be a big statement on how he sees Ronaldo in his plans. No excuses as he was supposedly rested and not dropped against Chelsea so won't need resting again.

let's see what Rangnick decides. He has the power to make his own decisions and won't be pressured to play any player. If Carrick has the power to bench Ronaldo you'd think Rangnick would have the same power if not more.

Last edited:

SonyaCross493

Not often I agree with Craig Burley but he's spot on here. You don't rest the most clutch player of all-time in one of the biggest games of the season.. you rest him against the likes of Watford, Crystal Palace etc

Bruno Fernandes was rubbish constantly losing the ball and is not as clutch as Ronaldo in the big games so surely it made sense to play Ronny instead of him against Chelsea. I'd be shocked if Rangnick fancies Fernandes if he's constantly losing the ball. Donny is better at keeping the ball to dominate games and keep United on the attack.

Setting up like a League One side having there big day out at Stamford Bridge is nothing to be proud of. Manchester United should only think about how they want to play and not adapt our team for the opposition. The best managers like Pep, Klopp etc wouldn't have changed formation and set up like United did.

let's see what Rangnick decides. He has the power to make his own decisions and won't be pressured to play any player. If Carrick has the power to bench Ronaldo you'd think Rangnick would have the same power if not more.

Last edited:

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Chelsea defended well. Always worth having Ronaldo on for a set piece or tap in. I thought the game plan was fine but Utd couldn't keep the ball long enough to mount any attacks.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Easy decision to bench him today. The only chance we had against Chelsea was a full 10 man press. We weren't going to have the ball much.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Easy decision to bench him today. The only chance we had against Chelsea was a full 10 man press. We weren't going to have the ball much.
Isn't this why teams press? So the opposition feel unsettled and make a mistake to loose possession?

It happened twice yesterday - Sancho's goal and Fred's soft crap shot.

Nordmore

Isn't this why teams press? So the opposition feel unsettled and make a mistake to loose possession?

It happened twice yesterday - Sancho's goal and Fred's soft crap shot.
Not only to force the opponents into making mistakes but also not to let them play as they want and to break their game plan. Anyone with some basis knowledge about football would understand how important that is. You let the opponents play as they want, you play to their plan you're dead.

stoinz

We wasted one substitution on him last night. He wasn't suited for this game at that particular stage. He could be the GOAT but if he doesn't get the ball he might as well as not have been playing. I have a feeling though he will do well in the new management. I'm assuming we will be implementing something similar to what Chelsea or Liverpool is doing.

imagine he was playing for Chelsea yesterday with all the chances falling to him.

captaincantona

Feel sorry and sad for Ronny and everyone who purchased Ronaldo shirts etc after his very important goal against Villarreal to get benched in one of the biggest games of the season against Chelsea he doesn't feel part of a good result.. it doesn't feel right Keane was right you don't bring Ronaldo back to the club to bench him.. he isn't an impact substitute like a youngster with pace. He either starts or you leave him out completely. And you don't buy Ronny just to spite him joining Manchester City and then bench him to ruin the rest of the lads career.. that's out of order and inhumane. If Pep Guardiola and Manchester City wanted him I'm sure they knew that goal-scoring is still the hardest part of football. And having a goal-scorer even if you have to compensate for is worth his weight in gold. More positives than negatives.

and now United got a good result a draw away to Chelsea without him it'll empower the ones who want Ronaldo to be benched permanently or to leave the club. When United played rubbish and I didn't see a difference between Rashford and Sancho pressing compared to when Ronny played it's just United got lucky against Chelsea who was a bit toothless unlike Liverpool and City. Plus Ronaldo when he came on headed the ball away a few times to prevent a goal. Defending in different ways

without Ronaldo we ain't going through to the Last 16 of the Champions League.. that Alone made the club 10 million pounds and paid for his transfer fee. Never mind all the commercial success etc

so yeah if Rangnick can't find a place for Ronaldo in the team it's going to be a very short lived Ronaldo stint. I kinda blame Gary Neville too who created this narrative that Ronaldo doesn't press.. now it's all anyone talks about.. like United press amazing without him when it's not true we never pressed well last season as a team and even last night Rashford and Sancho wasn't pressing I didn't see a difference between them and Ronny.. Cavani yes but individuals not as a team. Ronaldo has NEVER pressed even when he was 21 so why anyone expected him too now at 36 years old beggars belief..you knew that before signing him surely what he gives to the club..

I don't expect Gary Neville to do a pressing tactical comparison of Rashford and Sancho last night compared to Ronaldo all season as it was the very similar. And he would look foolish. Gary Neville has a lot of power and influence unfortunately.

case In point look at how rubbish Juventus are this season without Ronny. That could be United's future next season and then everyone will say Ronaldo was playing with crap and carrying the team by scoring goals on scraps and half-chances. Imaging how many goals he would score with the chances Manchester City create.. maybe he will regret not joining them who knows..

it'll be sad to see Ronny leave I've enjoyed seeing him back. But I understand if he wants to start in his last few years of his career and have a chance to win trophies as he must be shocked how low standards have dropped at the club since he returned. Maybe with Sporting Lisbon or MLS. Plus the wages he is on isn't sustainable as a bench player for Manchester United he's too important.

Viva Ronaldo.
This is delusional stuff...same as what Keane was on about...it rallies against the basic notion of team sports...the best TEAM wins. Thiago is twice the player Milner or Henderson is...but who does Klopp turn to when the game requires it? Aguero was the best striker in the league for years and still Pep benched him against certain teams. Ferguson, who we all revere and respect...often benched superstars and played players more suited to countering the specific opposition.

Ronaldo is no longer a one man show that demands playing time based on merit. He contributes enough to warrant starting when the coach feels his skill set (nicking goals full stop) is needed. Away to the league leaders off the back of the shite we have been playing is exactly the type of game we need 11 men running their bollox off. Ronny doesn’t fit that mould. So bench him and bring him on when Chelsea have less in the tank...if not for the penalty so soon after him coming on that substitution might work...for the good of the team.

I like Ronaldo. I was happy he came back. People like you make me dislike him. He is part of Man Utd and Man Utd’s history...we are not part of his. It’s only ever about what is best for the team and sometimes a 37 year old Ronaldo is not best for the team. Can’t be easier to understand.

AndySmith1990

I knew it'd happen when we signed him, but it's still really irritating to see people talk as if he's bigger than our team, or in some cases go on as if he's bigger than our club. Get a grip, star power is not healthy and only damages the team.

To see our own supporters hoping to play in such a way that basically boils down to "lump it up to the poacher up top", as if we're a Tony Pulis team battling relegation, is really quite sad.

steffyr2

I knew it'd happen when we signed him, but it's still really irritating to see people talk as if he's bigger than our team, or in some cases go on as if he's bigger than our club. Get a grip, star power is not healthy and only damages the team.

To see our own supporters hoping to play in such a way that basically boils down to "lump it up to the poacher up top", as if we're a Tony Pulis team battling relegation, is really quite sad.
Yesterday we played " 11 man defense and don't even bother to try and lump it to the poacher up top" -- I think that is worse.

We used to hysterically lambast Jose for setting us up defensively. Well look at us now. Without DDG's saves, we would have been down 2 goals in the 1st 3 minutes. Didn't see any inspired pressing team out there, just one who couldn't hold the ball.

RepardReece

Interesting. And before one of you says we were winning against Chelsea for example, we should've been 3 goals down by the time Ronaldo came on, if not for De Gea.

And no, not saying Ronaldo is our savior, his performance wasn't great vs Chelsea, but this really highlights that he scores when he gets chances, he's had little service, especially in comparison to what Man City would provide, but he's keeping us just about afloat.

Idxomer

Interesting. And before one of you says we were winning against Chelsea for example, we should've been 3 goals down by the time Ronaldo came on, if not for De Gea.

And no, not saying Ronaldo is our savior, his performance wasn't great vs Chelsea, but this really highlights that he scores when he gets chances, he's had little service, especially in comparison to what Man City would provide, but he's keeping us just about afloat.
Well, we were also winning against Everton but it doesn't matter anyway. Ronaldo may not make the team worse but he doesn't make it significantly better either. It didn't make sense to bring him against Chelsea because it was clear he won't fix any of the problems we were having on the pitch. At 37 he should be treated like Cavani last season who was rotated a lot.

captaincantona

Yesterday we played " 11 man defense and don't even bother to try and lump it to the poacher up top" -- I think that is worse.

We used to hysterically lambast Jose for setting us up defensively. Well look at us now. Without DDG's saves, we would have been down 2 goals in the 1st 3 minutes. Didn't see any inspired pressing team out there, just one who couldn't hold the ball.
If you are saying Ronaldo’s hold up play is the tonic we needed then you are taking the piss. The guys first touch and strength on the ball are non existent these days. The idea seemed to be we would get more out of Rashford out of possession and some runs in behind to boot...we got neither. It didn’t pay off but we also didn’t get smashed so...every cloud and all that.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
I like the fact that after yesterday's game more and more people are realizing that this is a team game.
Yesterday was the first big game of the season where United were hanging on to the game after the first half, and coincidentally Ronaldo was not involved in it.

I find it funny when people say rest him for the easy games and play him in the big games cause I see it opposite. Play Ronaldo in the easy games and bench him in the big games. In the easy games, you might not need 11 players working their socks off and you might get away with one passenger but good at scoring goals. However, in big games you cannot have one single passenger in the game or else they won't even give you the opportunity to shoot, which was shown in the Liverpool and City game.

captaincantona

Nonsense.

We’d be bottom of our group in Europe without Ronaldo.
And last season we got knocked out of a significantly better group. I’d say we have been much worse this year. Considering how far we have fallen...no one could really be arguing Ronaldo has made us better? It’s not to say he has caused the capitulation...but he certainly has not made us in any way a better team...not more potent from an attacking sense...we have scored less goals..not more fluid in a passing sense...We look more static than ever before...not more stable in terms of retaining possession up top...we actually have less possession...and not more driven or determined...we look like we have given up.

None of which is in any way directly his fault. But you can not argue he has improved us. Is he a bright spot in a bad season...so we should always play him? I would argue not.

Sviken

Well, we were also winning against Everton but it doesn't matter anyway. Ronaldo may not make the team worse but he doesn't make it significantly better either. It didn't make sense to bring him against Chelsea because it was clear he won't fix any of the problems we were having on the pitch. At 37 he should be treated like Cavani last season who was rotated a lot.
Ronaldo won't make this team play like prime Barcelona by virtue of him playing, but he has the quality to win us any game with absolute minimal chances. This is something we need, especially at the moment. Fail to see why people are praising Carrick here. We've basically played Jose football on steroids and inshallah'd somehow to a draw. In short, a classic Ole performance (hmm, I wonder why?) This is going to get us nowhere. If we're to start performing as a top club, we need to start playing as a top club. No more Sean Dyche tactics, please.

Irwin99

He put in a lot of unacknowledged effort during that Villarreal game and looked pretty knackered when he came on against Chelsea, which at 36 is understandable. I think he'll start against Arsenal and score.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
So apparently he's having a bit of a feud with France football lashing out against pascal on an Instagram post while boycotting the event

I don't have media privileges so I can't post it but he basically says the guy lied about him wanting to have more ballon dors then messi

RepardReece

It's like you didn't read that tweet. I think finishing top of the group rather than going into the Europa league makes us significantly better.

Cavani was only rotated so much due to his injury issues, even OGS knew how important he was towards the end of the season and would've played him more if he could.

I agree, the sub to bring him on wasn't that effective, especially for Sancho. But the rest of your post is ridiculous.

bakalhau

So apparently he's having a bit of a feud with France football lashing out against pascal on an Instagram post while boycotting the event

I don't have media privileges so I can't post it but he basically says the guy lied about him wanting to have more ballon dors then messi
I'm glad he posted about it, too many people make the rounds on his name alone, too many people talk too easily about him and he's a constant cash generating machine for journalism everywhere, which seems to think that they can post anything on people, regardless of the truth behind it. Sometimes I like he steps up to address some of the crap that gets thrown out there.

I'm not gonna dispute an healthy rivalry exists between both or, that if you ask Ronaldo directly, he'd certainly like to have more BdOr's than Messi, but if anyone thinks the *only* reason this guy has played football for the last 15 years is to outmatch a single other dude in a single other award/metric, you need to seriously lay off the weed immediately.

Last edited:

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
It's like you didn't read that tweet. I think finishing top of the group rather than going into the Europa league makes us significantly better.

Cavani was only rotated so much due to his injury issues, even OGS knew how important he was towards the end of the season and would've played him more if he could.

I agree, the sub to bring him on wasn't that effective, especially for Sancho. But the rest of your post is ridiculous.
OMG can we stop this "he prevent us going to the Europa league" thing?

Totally false narrative, the level of the group was much more harder last year. It was the Group of Death!

None of the team in this years group is in PSG or RBL level each, CL finalist and semi-finalist in the previous year.

Really? Do people don't understand how to compare things? or are just they doing a straw man arguments to defend Ronaldo.

RepardReece

I don’t believe I just read this...I’m laughing and crying in equal measure.
Ah right, you go support a team who plays Europa league football then, see how good they are.

OMG can we stop this "he prevent us going to the Europa league" thing?

Totally false narrative, the level of the group was much more harder last year. It was the Group of Death!

None of the team in this years group is in PSG or RBL level each, CL finalist and semi-finalist in the previous year.

Really? Do people don't understand how to compare things? or are just they doing a straw man arguments to defend Ronaldo.
This season is a totally different season to last. We've gone backward. Saw signs of it all last season, many on here did notice but people like you were obviously blindsided by our constant comebacks, and now you blame Ronaldo, when it was clearly Ole all along.

He has dragged us through the CL whether you like it or not.

Unless you suddenly want to tell me Ronaldo was at fault for the goals we have conceded in the champions league?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.