2014(29): 61 goals (400+)
2015(30): 57 goals (500+)
2016(31): 55 goals
2017(32): 53 goals (600+)
2018(33): 49 goals
2019(34): 39 goals (700+)
2020(35): 44 goals
2021(36): 45+ goals (800+)

If he continues until he reached 40, is there any chance he could reach 1000 career goals at top level? That would be totally out of this world, although 800 is already an unprecedented figure at top level. My safe bet though, he would have very good chance to get to 900 goal milestone before his retirement.
He will definitely do this in my opinion. After Messi stole the Balon'dor from Lewandowski and gone on a win over Ronaldo - I think Ronaldo will try his hardest for things like a World Cup more than ever and be the first player in World History reaching 1000 goals.

I see him retiring in Sporting Lisbon, so he will absolutely rip that league up and achieve it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He will definitely do this in my opinion. After Messi stole the Balon'dor from Lewandowski and gone on a win over Ronaldo - I think Ronaldo will try his hardest for things like a World Cup more than ever and be the first player in World History reaching 1000 goals.

I see him retiring in Sporting Lisbon, so he will absolutely rip that league up and achieve it.
My guess is, maybe he would spend 2 more seasons at United after this one, and he would finished here with 900 career goals. By then he would be 39. Maybe then he would entertain to move back to Sporting for a season or 2, but that would be very tricky you know, as Sporting surely couldn't afford even half of his wage. But perhaps he would be tempted to play there not for money, but wait until his son debut season. But there's alot of money involved wherever Ronaldo goes, he could go to Dubai or America for handsome pay cheque in his retiring years too.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
I will admit, he was really good in the Arsenal game.
Aside of being a little bit greedy in the first half, not only the two goals but also he participated in the press.
I saw in a twitter stats where it showed he did almost double/triple amount of presses then usual.
I really hope he continues that.

The United

Some fans: I really hope he continues scoring 2-3 goals a game.

Those other fans: I really hope he continues pressing this and that amount.

:lol:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I will admit, he was really good in the Arsenal game.
Aside of being a little bit greedy in the first half, not only the two goals but also he participated in the press.
I saw in a twitter stats where it showed he did almost double/triple amount of presses then usual.
I really hope he continues that.
He can't continue like that as a 36 year old. He can't recover from that kind of workload. It is an unrealistic expectation. He needs to be used wisely. He trains hard, eat well, physically fit, but he can't train his recovery.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
He can't continue like that as a 36 year old. He can't recover from that kind of workload. It is an unrealistic expectation. He needs to be used wisely. He trains hard, eat well, physically fit, but he can't train his recovery.
That's why in my opinion he should not start every game. Make him focus on games where he is needed and in those games he should play like he did yesterday.

Some fans: I really hope he continues scoring 2-3 goals a game.

Those other fans: I really hope he continues pressing this and that amount.

:lol:
Why is that funny? Shouldn't that be Manchester United's standard?
Arsenal was a good game because he did both, but in other days he should do at least one of them (maybe 2~3 can reduce to 1~2).
It's just funny when people like you still praise him in games he don't do neither of them (e.g. Liverpool, City, Chelsea game)

FujiVice

He's a freak of nature and the most competitive man in sport, so reinventing himself as a pressing centre foward who still bangs in 40 goals a season is never out of the question for this freak.

RUCK4444

He's a freak of nature and the most competitive man in sport, so reinventing himself as a pressing centre foward who still bangs in 40 goals a season is never out of the question for this freak.
His energy level yesterday was more than enough for a RR style of high pressing imo. Put a shift in yesterday and will do, I’ve no concerns there.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

1. I completely agree and if he comes to Sporting (I think he will) he will clean up the league until he’s 40) I reckon he will hit 1000

2. Not to be that guy but…it’s Sporting Clube De Portugal but I know that’s long so instead of saying “Sporting Lisbon” You can just say “Sporting” which is what a majority of Portugal calls us. We don’t have Lisbon in our name Benfica has Lisbon in there name though.

I always wondered why outside of Portugal we were called “Sporting Lisbon” Lisbon isn’t even in our name so I never understood.

* all love I know you have respect for the club based on the posts you have made :D:drool:

Gazza

1. I completely agree and if he comes to Sporting (I think he will) he will clean up the league until he’s 40) I reckon he will hit 1000

2. Not to be that guy but…it’s Sporting Clube De Portugal but I know that’s long so instead of saying “Sporting Lisbon” You can just say “Sporting” which is what a majority of Portugal calls us. We don’t have Lisbon in our name Benfica has Lisbon in there name though.

I always wondered why outside of Portugal we were called “Sporting Lisbon” Lisbon isn’t even in our name so I never understood.

* all love I know you have respect for the club based on the posts you have made :D:drool:
It's because Sporting is located in Lisbon and there is more than one "Sporting" (albeit your lads are quite likely the most widely-known with that name) so for ease of reference = Sporting Lisbon :) Although now that I think about it I can't think of too many other top-flight clubs called Sporting so perhaps it is a bit redundant to say Lisbon

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It's because Sporting is located in Lisbon and there is more than one "Sporting" (albeit your lads are quite likely the most widely-known with that name) so for ease of reference = Sporting Lisbon :) Although now that I think about it I can't think of too many other top-flight clubs called Sporting so perhaps it is a bit redundant to say Lisbon
I think the issue Sporting fans have with it is that Lisbon is not even part of the name.

As you said their is no other top flight clubs named Sporting

Is it a “big issue” no not really but it’s also nice to have our actual name said :wenger:

Scholsey2004

I think the issue Sporting fans have with it is that Lisbon is not even part of the name.

Is it a “big issue” no not really but it’s also nice to have our actual name said :wenger:
Its an anglicised form. British commentators probably disregarded the 'Clube de Portugal' part in the same way they disregard the 'Football Club' part of English club names as extraneous information and added the Lisbon part to further anglicise it for the audience. We struggle with hispanic naming traditions as well and anglicise them to fit our own traditions. Its quite insular i suppose but when Joe Bloggs gets home from work on the building site he just wants to watch the football without having to culturally decipher everything.

The United

That's why in my opinion he should not start every game. Make him focus on games where he is needed and in those games he should play like he did yesterday.

Why is that funny? Shouldn't that be Manchester United's standard?
Arsenal was a good game because he did both, but in other days he should do at least one of them (maybe 2~3 can reduce to 1~2).
It's just funny when people like you still praise him in games he don't do neither of them (e.g. Liverpool, City, Chelsea game)
The feck you know about United standard.

You are not even a United fan.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Its an anglicised form. British commentators probably disregarded the 'Clube de Portugal' part in the same way they disregard the 'Football Club' part of English club names as extraneous information and added the Lisbon part to further anglicise it for the audience. We struggle with hispanic naming traditions as well and anglicise them to fit our own traditions. Its quite insular i suppose but when Joe Bloggs gets home from work on the building site he just wants to watch the football without having to culturally decipher everything.
You mean José Bloggs

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Imagine signing a player who scores 12 goals in 16 appearances and having some fans question him. It’s absolutely ridiculous. Is it just me who notices that it seems to be largely the same people who in Bruno’s thread seem to want to blame anyone and everyone else for his poor form that are here criticising Ronaldo?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

I’ll need to double check, but I’m sure it was called Sporting Lisbon on Championship Manager/Football Manager many moons ago when everyone wanted to sign Mario Jardel. It’s probably how most people in my generation got to know of the club properly.

captaincantona

Imagine signing a player who scores 12 goals in 16 appearances and having some fans question him. It’s absolutely ridiculous. Is it just me who notices that it seems to be largely the same people who in Bruno’s thread seem to want to blame anyone and everyone else for his poor form that are here criticising Ronaldo?
Again with the simplistic baiting...I have put forward completely reasonable and balanced views on both Ronaldo and Bruno. Just because they aren’t the same as yours doesn’t mean they are wrong.

Ronaldos attitude was right last night (performance wasn’t half as good as many are making out) but that didn’t matter cause he put in the effort and it rubbed off on the team (bar rashford). I have no issue with that version of Ronaldo in a game like that. I have no doubt that if he applys himself that way Rangnick will love him...

But the main difference between my view and the majority is that I don’t give a fuk about Ronaldo. I don’t marvel at him in the same way everyone seems to. It is fuking unreal how he keeps scoring no matter what...but I have my views on what I see other than the goals...each to their own! I’m not all about Messi either...I get excited by different players I suppose and by watching the team click.

As for Bruno, I gave my views there...either engage directly with them and we can discuss why you think I’m wrong.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Again with the simplistic baiting...I have put forward completely reasonable and balanced views on both Ronaldo and Bruno. Just because they aren’t the same as yours doesn’t mean they are wrong.

Ronaldos attitude was right last night (performance wasn’t half as good as many are making out) but that didn’t matter cause he put in the effort and it rubbed off on the team (bar rashford). I have no issue with that version of Ronaldo in a game like that. I have no doubt that if he applys himself that way Rangnick will love him...

But the main difference between my view and the majority is that I don’t give a fuk about Ronaldo. I don’t marvel at him in the same way everyone seems to. It is fuking unreal how he keeps scoring no matter what...but I have my views on what I see other than the goals...each to their own! I’m not all about Messi either...I get excited by different players I suppose and by watching the team click.

As for Bruno, I gave my views there...either engage directly with them and we can discuss why you think I’m wrong.
Anyone questioning a player who has scored 12 goals in 16 games, the majority being winners and game saving goals is wrong. End of. Ronaldo is having an impact far beyond any player has had since Ronaldo in 08.

As for Bruno you and others seem bitter that someone has eclipsed what you perceive to be his role. His impact diminished as we stopped getting penalties and his performances have dipped severely since January. Neither of which has anything to do with Ronaldo.

captaincantona

Anyone questioning a player who has scored 12 goals in 16 games, the majority being winners and game saving goals is wrong. End of. Ronaldo is having an impact far beyond any player has had since Ronaldo in 08.

As for Bruno you and others seem bitter that someone has eclipsed what you perceive to be his role. His impact diminished as we stopped getting penalties and his performances have dipped severely since January. Neither of which has anything to do with Ronaldo.
You do know we scraped through a shite CL group and are mid table and are out of the FA Cup...impact? Since 08? Heard of Robin Van Persie? De Gea our player of the year how many years in a row single handedly keeping us from obscurity... You my friend write first and think later....

as I said...he hasn’t improved us...and the calculation isn’t as simple as if you take him out those games we lose those games...we actually play those games 11 v 11 and not you or I can say with any certainty that we would have been in the same position at 90 minutes so as to need him to bail us out. We have also scored far less than last season at the same stage...while his goal scoring is remarkable...it’s clear that has become the main focus of our attacks and goals from other areas have dried up. My view is just more balanced then your blind adoration. I’m looking at his performances as a whole and happen to think differently to you.

none is a criticism of him...but once again your arrogance is quite irritating.

Last edited:

BlueHaze

You do know we scraped through a shite CL group and are mid table and are out of the FA Cup...impact? Since 08? Heard of Robin Van Persie? De Gea our player of the year how many years in a row single handedly keeping us from obscurity... You my friend write first and think later....

as I said...he hasn’t improved us...and the calculation isn’t as simple as if you take him out those games we lose those games...we actually play those games 11 v 11 and not you or I can say with any certainty that we would have been in the same position at 90 minutes so as to need him to bail us out. We have also scored far less than last season at the same stage...while his goal scoring is remarkable...it’s clear that has become the main focus of our attacks and goals from other areas have dried up. My view is just more balanced then your blind adoration. I’m looking at his performances as a whole and happen to think differently to you.

I wouldn't say that. I do not have any "blind adoration" for the guy myself but even I can see he has bailed us out on several occasions when the other attackers have been very dire. Your view seems to be that if we didn't have him things would click better on other fronts which imo is 100% wrong. Rashford been terrible this season. Mason was okay prior to covid, Martial looks a ghost and Cavani having injury problems.
This is why things are looking worse of on other fronts. It is not dur to playing Ronaldo other attackers players were simply performing better last season.

RepardReece

Yeah, Martial starting up there instead :lol: I think position wise in the table we'd still be around a similar position, and we'd have been sent to the Europa league without Ronaldo.

Obviously there's no predicting that but we all saw the end of last season (plus the shit show against Southampton and Wolves before Ronaldo joined). Evidence was there really

Ole was always the problem, Bruno just managed to bail us out since he joined. Look at the situation we were in before Bruno came in for example, it really wasn't looking good for Ole. We had multiple spells of poor form under OGS and this time didn't manage to break that duck.

I do think singling out Ronaldo during this is really unfair, he has been the center of our attacks because the likes of Rashford, Greenwood just have no idea what to do and Ole didn't know how to effectively use CR7.

captaincantona

Your view seems to be that if we didn't have him things would click better on other fronts which imo is 100% wrong.
Not at all...I have no doubt we would be in a much similar situation...hence why I don’t agree with the narrative that he has been some kind of saviour for the team...we have actually gotten worse...not because of him but because of a number of reasons I have already put forward.

my view is I’m delighted to have him in the squad...but that we have a hugely talented young frontline. And for a while there at least during our flirting with 2 up top... looked like they would be benched and not given the opportunity to form the type of energetic and fluid frontline I think they can be. I don’t think what we are getting from him in the short term is worth Sacrificing the development of our other attackers in their natural positions...did you see someone in here say that Sancho could do a job as a wing back? Just so we could play 2 up top?

anyway, sick of fighting my corner on this..I am in no way anti Ronaldo no more than I am anti any Utd player. I just have different views on how he should be used. But I trust Rangnick to make it work- with and without Ronny.

BlueHaze

Not at all...I have no doubt we would be in a much similar situation...hence why I don’t agree with the narrative that he has been some kind of saviour for the team...we have actually gotten worse...not because of him but because of a number of reasons I have already put forward.

my view is I’m delighted to have him in the squad...but that we have a hugely talented young frontline. And for a while there at least during our flirting with 2 up top... looked like they would be benched and not given the opportunity to form the type of energetic and fluid frontline I think they can be. I don’t think what we are getting from him in the short term is worth Sacrificing the development of our other attackers in their natural positions...did you see someone in here say that Sancho could do a job as a wing back? Just so we could play 2 up top?

anyway, sick of fighting my corner on this..I am in no way anti Ronaldo no more than I am anti any Utd player. I just have different views on how he should be used. But I trust Rangnick to make it work- with and without Ronny.
But my friend who's development are we "sacrificing" Mason played pretty much every game prior to covid and Rashford has been awful for the past year. Fair enough he struggled with injuries last year but ever since he's come back fresh he's been mediocre. Sancho is playing and is developing and surely you cannot say we are "sacrificing" Martial's development, he looks a ghost out there and has done so for a long while so I don't get that point.

If we had started Martial or Greenwood yesterday up front ahead of Ronaldo there's no way we would have won that game. Bruno was also in better form last season and we got quite a few pens as well. We now have a new manager coming in and it will be a fresh start. Now we will see who is up for it and who is not.

captaincantona

I do think singling out Ronaldo during this is really unfair, he has been the center of our attacks because the likes of Rashford, Greenwood just have no idea what to do and Ole didn't know how to effectively use CR7.
Never singled him out once.i think he brought issues as, like you said, the team was not set up to accommodate him properly. That’s on Ole. I haven’t seen much different under Carrick. You need a coach that knows how and when to use him and who can get away with not using him sometimes without creating a complete shitstorm in the media.

I’m just not as impressed with his performances as some people. But he is scoring goals so he is justifying his place in the team.

The United

Never singled him out once.i think he brought issues as, like you said, the team was not set up to accommodate him properly. That’s on Ole. I haven’t seen much different under Carrick. You need a coach that knows how and when to use him and who can get away with not using him sometimes without creating a complete shitstorm in the media.

I’m just not as impressed with his performances as some people. But he is scoring goals so he is justifying his place in the team.
I am curious though what kind of performance for a striker would be impressive for you?

With the forwards available to us right now, who impressed you, why and do you think they can keep it for a long term etc?

RepardReece

Bold is spot on. Bebe should read that.

To be fair his performances are expected, think the majority knew he'd not do much off the ball, apparently some haven't watched him for the past 5 years. Even saying that, he's never really performed off the ball his whole career. If it was such a big problem he wouldn't have achieved near as much as he has.

captaincantona

But my friend who's development are we "sacrificing" Mason played pretty much every game prior to covid and Rashford has been awful for the past year. Fair enough he struggled with injuries last year but ever since he's come back fresh he's been mediocre. Sancho is playing and is developing and surely you cannot say we are "sacrificing" Martial's development, he looks a ghost out there and has done so for a long while so I don't get that point.

If we had started Martial or Greenwood yesterday up front ahead of Ronaldo there's no way we would have won that game. Bruno was also in better form last season and we got quite a few pens as well. We now have a new manager coming in and it will be a fresh start. Now we will see who is up for it and who is not.
I was talking about when all of a sudden we were switching to a 3-5-2 to get Ronny a strike partner! There were threads on how that was the way forward and how it was worth it to get the best from Ronny...I disagreed.

Also, neither Rashford, Sancho or Amad or Martial or Greenwood are traditional wingers but there was a feeling that Ronaldo needed more crosses to feed off. I would prefer to see us play with inverted forwards - Greenwood and Rashford cutting in and shooting etc.

in short- I think Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho, with the right coach...could be fukin electric and with Bruno behind we could play some lovely stuff altogether. That doesn’t mean Ronny hasn’t got a place in the squad, but when he starts- we set up differently.

not sure why that opinion is so unacceptable?

KingCavani

I was talking about when all of a sudden we were switching to a 3-5-2 to get Ronny a strike partner! There were threads on how that was the way forward and how it was worth it to get the best from Ronny...I disagreed.

Also, neither Rashford, Sancho or Amad or Martial or Greenwood are traditional wingers but there was a feeling that Ronaldo needed more crosses to feed off. I would prefer to see us play with inverted forwards - Greenwood and Rashford cutting in and shooting etc.

in short- I think Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho, with the right coach...could be fukin electric and with Bruno behind we could play some lovely stuff altogether. That doesn’t mean Ronny hasn’t got a place in the squad, but when he starts- we set up differently.

Buddy we switched to 3-5-2 be because we’d conceded 9 goals in two league games. Not to accommodate Ronaldo.

Ronaldo and Cavani both flashed incredible potential as a duo in that game and we haven’t seen it since. It’s pretty easy to understand why people would like to see it again. It worked.

captaincantona

Buddy we switched to 3-5-2 be because we’d conceded 9 goals in two league games. Not to accommodate Ronaldo.
Ah here...I’m not thick...I’m saying all the talk was that Ronny needed a strike partner...after the spurs game there was loads of chat about it on here

I’ll leave it there folks.I’m only coming back when Jeppers explains his “biggest impact since 08“ comment:lol:

have a good evening!

KingCavani

Ah here...I’m not thick...I’m saying all the talk was that Ronny needed a strike partner...after the spurs game there was loads of chat about it on here.
Because they linked up brilliantly and won the game?

That wasn’t about accommodating Ronaldo either. It was about trying to carry on the best attacking play we’d seen all season.

BlueHaze

Greenwood is still in his developing stage. At the minute playing him as the #9 is not as reliable getting goals as playing Ronaldo. Rashford needs to step it up then because he's been pretty dire. Sancho will become better with time and I'm sure Ralf and whoever comes in after will start him when fit. Majority of our problems stem from the middle of the park and the backline with all our fullbacks being mediocre going forward. Also I never said your opinion is unaccetable.

A fact however is that Ronaldo will play whenever fit and imo that should be the case. You don't sign a player like that who pretty much guarantees goals to be left out.

Status
Not open for further replies.