View full 2021-22 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah here...I’m not thick...I’m saying all the talk was that Ronny needed a strike partner...after the spurs game there was loads of chat about it on here.
After Spurs yeah, because he had Cavani looked top together and Ronaldo even had lovely assist.
But prior to Spurs and the reason for a switch to 5 at the back had feck all to do with our forwards, it was cause we’d let in 11 goals in the previous 3 games.

captaincantona

Because they linked up brilliantly and won the game?

That wasn’t about accommodating Ronaldo either. It was about trying to carry on the best attacking play we’d seen all season.
Im not complaining about why we went to 532...I’m saying when we did there were plenty of fans jumping in and saying “see...Ronny needs a strike partner...Benzema at real...“ there was a thread on it and how Conte would make it work and how Sancho was being considered as a wing back...I nearly choked!

MichaelRed

By himself? Were you watching the games? Bruno was running up to press instead of Ronaldo and leaving a massive gap in the middle. If Ronaldo had been pulling his weight in that department, he wouldn't have needed to do that. And he didn't do it in the previous 2 seasons before Ronaldo arrived where we finished 2nd and 3rd, rather than having mid-table form.
Bruno has always done that & been criticised for it as he just wastes his energy chasing lost causes & was always leaving us with a poor midfield shape. I can't believe the lengths you're trying to go to to call Ronaldo lazy. You're embarrassing yourself here.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
The feck you know about United standard.

You are not even a United fan.
Ok I already said about my stance of United so go back and read that,
So what is United Standard? getting battered 5-0? Not even able to touch the ball against City?
That city game was one of the most one sided game I have ever seen, it was unbelievable.
I thought Manchester United standard was you need to play good week and week out.
Ronaldo was useless both of the games, I will assure you Cavani would have at least make it difficult to bypass the midfield.

Anyone questioning a player who has scored 12 goals in 16 games, the majority being winners and game saving goals is wrong. End of. Ronaldo is having an impact far beyond any player has had since Ronaldo in 08.

As for Bruno you and others seem bitter that someone has eclipsed what you perceive to be his role. His impact diminished as we stopped getting penalties and his performances have dipped severely since January. Neither of which has anything to do with Ronaldo.
Just shows how little people understand about the game. Just give me goals and I'm happy.
It's one of the reasons why some people really believe Ronaldo could be better than Messi.
The only aspect of the game that Ronaldo rivals Messi is goal scoring, and defense(both of the them are terrible). In terms of ball progression (dribbling, key passes, linkup play..), ability to read the game (adjusting the tempo, selecting the right players to pass...), Messi shows world class level in most aspects while Ronaldo is average in almost everything else, honestly even during his prime years.

So yes you can still question a player who scores 12 goals in 16 games, if the team as a whole degraded compare to last year. Specially in a team that is aiming for the top. I don't know why people don't understand that football is a multi-dimensional game.
If you are exceptional in one of the dimension but ruining the whole in other dimensions you should be questioned.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I know many people would want to see him pressing hard on the pitch, but that's very stupid.

We bought him for the goals, but not for the pressing and donkey works. He is wasting his energy there, as he is not young anymore, which means his recoveries will be slower than before, despite him physically still being very fit.

I hope this won't end up with him being injured more often, as similar to Cavani, who is always injured. He should reserve his energy on making those runs which may lead to goalscoring chances instead, rather than chasing and pressuring the defenders.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The only aspect of the game that Ronaldo rivals Messi is goal scoring, and defense(both of the them are terrible). In terms of ball progression (dribbling, key passes, linkup play..), ability to read the game (adjusting the tempo, selecting the right players to pass...), Messi shows world class level in most aspects while Ronaldo is average in almost everything else, honestly even during his prime years.

So yes you can still question a player who scores 12 goals in 16 games, if the team as a whole degraded compare to last year. Specially in a team that is aiming for the top. I don't know why people don't understand that football is a multi-dimensional game.
If you are exceptional in one of the dimension but ruining the whole in other dimensions you should be questioned.
Perhaps it is no longer the case this season though. Messi only has avg 1.4 dribble per game in Ligue 1 this season, someone like Traore has 5.2 dribble per game in PL. Even his teammates Neymar has 3.9 and Mbappe has 3.3 in Ligue 1. I mean, Ronaldo at 35-36 at Juventus, so called pure poacher, still manage 1.8 in Serie A last season, which is higher than the current Messi at age 34. I think this season has been by far his career worst.

Last edited:

The United

Bruno has always done that & been criticised for it as he just wastes his energy chasing lost causes & was always leaving us with a poor midfield shape. I can't believe the lengths you're trying to go to to call Ronaldo lazy. You're embarrassing yourself here.
Those so called posters and media outlets make it sound like we had this perfect pressing plan and Ronaldo ruined it by not pressing and Bruno having to do it to cover for him. There is not such thing like that in the first place in this season or any other seasons in the past 2-3 years.

It is just ridiculous. At least wait until a plan like that is actually implemented and Ronaldo is really ruining the team play by not following instructions.

Nordmore

Imo Ronaldo has been managed correctly in the last two matches. Rested against Chelsea and played against Arsenal. He did well against Arsenal but imo it's unwise to start him next match, for both him and United.

We have a big squad especially the attacking options so when we have two matches in about three days it's time for rotation I think. Rest him next match and play him against Young Boys is much more logical imo.

The United

Perhaps it is no longer the case this season though. Messi only has avg 1.4 dribble per game in Ligue 1 this season, someone like Traore has 5.2 dribble per game in PL. Even his teammates Neymar has 3.9 and Mbappe has 3.3 in Ligue 1. I mean, Ronaldo at 35-36 at Juventus, so called pure poacher, still manage 1.8 in Serie A, which is higher than the current Messi. I think this season has been by far his career worst.
That guy just came here to spout nonsenses and wind people up while pretending to be a United fan at first to put out his 'Messi is better than Ronaldo' shit.

I would not waste my time and energy much on him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That guy just came here to spout nonsenses and wind people up while pretending to be a United fan at first to put out his 'Messi is better than Ronaldo' shit.

I would not waste my time and energy much on him.
Oh ok, anyway just stating the obvious facts to draw the line, won't waste time to response to nonsense/wummings.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ah here...I’m not thick...I’m saying all the talk was that Ronny needed a strike partner...after the spurs game there was loads of chat about it on here

I’ll leave it there folks.I’m only coming back when Jeppers explains his “biggest impact since 08“ comment:lol:

have a good evening!
It’s really not that difficult to figure out is it? 12 goals in 16 games.

If you want to look deeper than a goal involvement every 90 mins in a struggling side, then look at the importance of the goals he’s scored….opening goal and goal to put us back in front on his debut, equaliser against West Ham in a game we went on to win, the opener vs Spurs, the goals to put us ahead twice vs Arsenal.

In CL the winning goal v Villareal, the winning goal v Atalanta, both goals to steal a draw away to Atalanta, the opening goal away to Villarreal in a game we won. His goals have been responsible for every point we have gained in CL.

You seem to want to suggest because the team finished second last season and is struggling this season, it’s down to Ronaldo. That’s an absolute nonsense. Every game almost last season was a coin toss, a rescue act. This season was always going one of two ways…..either everything suddenly clicked and Ole had been hiding his tactical prowess, or the group of players would become quickly fed up with getting played off the pitch week in week out due to having no gameplan to rely on. After the Southampton and Wolves debacles it was obvious where the season would head, Ronaldo gave us a bit of a bounce against Newcastle and West Ham and has since been responsible for almost every point we’ve gained in the league and CL.

There’s a parallel with when we finished 2nd in 1988, 9 points off Liverpool but we never really looked like winning the league that year, our performances were not as impressive as the results we got. We scored 71 goals that season and won 81 points.

At the end of that season we brought back club legend MarkHughes, who went on to win PFA Player of the year that season, with United finishing 11th in the league. We scored 45 goals that season and won 51 points. 26 goals less and 30 points off the previous season…..Surely Hughes fault? Anyone who watched us that season would laugh at you if you suggested so. Hughes was responsible for the goals he scored that season and the importance he had on the team that season, and was recognised as such. Other factors were responsible for the drop off, part of which was due to overachieving the season prior.

Where would we be this season without Ronaldo when you look at the importance of the goals he’s scored is a far greater indicator than what we did last season. Otherwise you’d have to say Bryan Robsons influence on United was far far less than Micheal Carricks.
Players can only be responsible for their performances and impact in the seasons that they play. The same player could have a greater season than previous one individually while the collective drops off. See Wayne Rooney in 08/09 20 goals in 40 appearances in a team that won the league, versus Wayne Rooney in 09/10 34 goals in 44 appearances with the team finishing runners up. Individually Rooney had a far greater impact in 09/10 and without him that year we wouldn’t have finished second in the league and CL.

So, can you tell me one player since 08 (RVP included, though I’d concede that I think he had an unbelievable first season with massive impact) who has scored 12 goals in 16 appearances, and won us so many points? I’d let you look over a full season for a player who’s won us as many points as Ronaldo has in three months.

Also can you give me your view on the impact you feel DeGea had?

Last edited:

A Civilized Reader

- Ronaldo is actually very good at defending corners.

- Ronaldo has the most assists in Champion League. Were they not key passes? Did he not select the right players?

- Ronaldo's aerial ability is second to none. Many people would even say he is the best header of the game. I don't think this aspect of Ronaldo is average.

- Ronaldo is holding the record for most professional goals in the history of football. I think he has been reading the game exeptionally well.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
- Ronaldo is actually very good at defending corners.

- Ronaldo has the most assists in Champion League. Were they not key passes? Did he not select the right players?

- Ronaldo's aerial ability is second to none. Many people would even say he is the best header of the game. I don't think this aspect of Ronaldo is average.

- Ronaldo is holding the record for most professional goals in the history of football. I think he has been reading the game exeptionally well.
I wouldn’t bother…he replied to me and I read as far as ‘Messi’ then realised not to bother reading on.

Jackal981

I wouldn’t bother…he replied to me and I read as far as ‘Messi’ then realised not to bother reading on.
Imagine saying player that score most of our winning goals this season crap and the cause of our problem. Oh shit I remember last year without him we won treble while playing like prime Barca and press like prime Liverpool. Ronaldo ruined it all !!

MichaelRed

Those so called posters and media outlets make it sound like we had this perfect pressing plan and Ronaldo ruined it by not pressing and Bruno having to do it to cover for him. There is not such thing like that in the first place in this season or any other seasons in the past 2-3 years.

It is just ridiculous. At least wait until a plan like that is actually implemented and Ronaldo is really ruining the team play by not following instructions.
Yea, it's pretty sad. They seem to ignore the fact that Rashford, Martial, Greenwood & anyone else that has played on the wing for us also does zero pressing. If Ronaldo, Rashford & Greenwood were downing tools by not pressing then they wouldn't have been picked for every minute of every game. Ole didn't drop them because in his eyes they were doing nothing wrong because he never wanted them to press.

FCAES_7

We got Ronaldo back to play as a striker, why do people want him running around the pitch to get the ball back and waste his energy that is not his role!! I don't see Lewa doing it and he is considered by most the best player in the world!! Our problem is not Ronaldo it's our midfield and Maguire!! Ronaldo is the only good story for us this season till now and hopefully Sancho starring to get a feel.

KeanoMagicHat

He was bottom of all forwards in the league for pressing by a good distance.

MichaelRed

He was bottom of all forwards in the league for pressing by a good distance.
Who cares? Why are you comparing to other teams when they have different tactical systems? He covers as much ground as our wide players in Rashford & Greenwood even though they should really be covering more ground given that they play on the wings. Honestly, your comments are almost as stupid as saying he sinks less 3 pointers than LeBron James.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why am I even surprised :lol:

It’s funny how many posters in this thread laying into him also happen to be ardent Ole supporters until last few days of his reign…

Imagine have a goal scoring specimen like Ronaldo but want him to waste his energy trying to apply pressure in an incoherent non-existent pressing system, just because media latched onto that narrative of press. Boggles the mind really. He wasn’t applying pressure, but he was leading the league (or at least at one point) in terms of sprints which means he was conserving most of his energy to make runs where he could be more decisive.
It makes no sense. Last season without Ronaldo, we weren't better at it. I have absolutely no time discussing football with anyone thinking the greatest goalscorer ever is a problem for us.

redcafe_reader

Ok I already said about my stance of United so go back and read that,
So what is United Standard? getting battered 5-0? Not even able to touch the ball against City?
That city game was one of the most one sided game I have ever seen, it was unbelievable.
I thought Manchester United standard was you need to play good week and week out.
Ronaldo was useless both of the games, I will assure you Cavani would have at least make it difficult to bypass the midfield.

Just shows how little people understand about the game. Just give me goals and I'm happy.
It's one of the reasons why some people really believe Ronaldo could be better than Messi.

How is Ronaldo "average" in dribbling or link up play? Do you even watch him at United?

How is Ronaldo "average" in reading the game when he's one of the best in the world in off the ball movement for a long time?

Ronaldo is top assists in Champions League, does that at least give him a better score than "average" in playmaking and reading the game?

I am sorry but your post give off serious Dunning Kruger vibe. You say you understand football is "multi dimensional" game but you seem to be able to see only your own dimensional which is just...limited. Just show how little people "actually" understand about the game.

Glorio

Surely off-the-ball hard working + scoring Ronaldo > scoring Ronaldo without the off-the-ball work, no?

The former approach may not be sustainable due to age, but resting him at the right periods comes into play.

captaincantona

Those so called posters and media outlets make it sound like we had this perfect pressing plan
Show me one single post that says we had a perfect pressing plan? Just one.

There isn’t one. Stop reading the arguements you want to argue against and engage with the point being made.

Bruno has always done that & been criticised for it as he just wastes his energy chasing lost causes & was always leaving us with a poor midfield shape.
Bruno has not always done it to the extent he did when Ronaldo was integrated into the team. It is extremely simple- don’t take my word for it - go back to the matchday threads last season and show me one game where we lost or didn’t get a result that Bruno’s headless chicken act beyond the striker was noted as weakening the midfield or making us easy to play through? Just one...show me one thread or post? That’s not my opinion- that’s all if your opinions. Nobody raised it as a problem because it wasn’t one. It wasn’t one because for two years the front 3 had played the same, limited but somewhat effective way out of possession. Not pressing, nor coordinated but certainly closing down in fits and starts and most importantly imo, not giving the opposing teams back four liscence to stroll out with the ball, to calm down and to pick passes. Go back and watch some of the early games with Ronaldo, it’s a mixture of us sitting on the halfway line not pressing at all and Bruno running beyond Ronaldo while the other wide forward look like they don’t know where to be.

Bruno didn’t feel the need to go beyond the striker even half as much last season and it showed...front 3 were more compact and the other team was not allowed to settle as easily as they have this season. That’s why we didn’t look even half as penetrable as this season.

I conclude, that one of the reasons we have lookEd so open this season is the gap between the front 4 and the back 6. A single pass takes out half of our team and then the issues with our backline have done the rest but I won’t go there just now.

The only arguement against what I’m saying seems to be the rather vague statement that “we rode our luck last season and it was bound to collapse”. I simply disagree. We were not an easy team to beat last season...and there is no reason why that should be so drastically changed this season unless something changes in our approach...I have given my view on what that “something” was and even if you don’t agree, you cannot simply dismiss it because you have no better explaination other than we were lucky last season!

You seem to want to suggest because the team finished second last season and is struggling this season, it’s down to Ronaldo.
Go read the flak I got earlier in the season for saying how shit we were last year...you won’t get a poster who disparaged our performance last year more than I did. The shite I got from the usual clever clogs on here saying “you don’t finish second and get to a europa league final if you’re not a good team etc.” Pointing to stats and other bullshit when I said you don’t need stats...use your eyes...we are shit!

Stop trying to twist my words and put across what you”think” I’m saying...

I am saying we were shit last season...but solid enough, our GA and xGAn were reasonable in comparison to other teams and our issues lay in the final third, breaking teams down- not just my opinion- go read the library of low block musings from last season.

This season our issues are very much and undeniably around looking completely and utterly there for the taking against even the most ordinary sides. I happen to think that there are several reasons for this, one being the integration of a new forward, who plays differently to how the others did in previous seasons, leaving the other forward unsure of what they should be doing and leaving Bruno to either, of his own accord or on Ole’s instruction, try to assist the front three in pressing the ball higher up the pitch. This creates the gaps we have seen in which the opposing midfield can waltz through us.

None of this is Ronaldo’s fault. The coach decides on how to play. But that doesn’t mean that integrating Ronaldo and trying to find a way to stay compact and still use him effectively hasn’t caused issues and conundrums- it has. Ole couldn’t solve them. Neither could Carrick IMO although Ronnys workrate against Arsenal was very impressive-Arsenal are shite and we will need that type of workrate from all our front three- in a structured manner- in order to salvage this season. We haven’t done it up until now and Ronaldo has been part of that issue. He doesn’t get a pass because he is Ronaldo and it’s reasonable enough to say...if I had to choose between starting Ronaldo knowing that the team looks more unstable with him in it but knowing he will score at least one goal——and starting without Ronaldo and perhaps not needing his goal because we are less open...I would choose the second option in some games and the first option in others! That is entirely reasonable but because I’m not scratching his initials into my arm I’m some kind of troll? Get a grip.

If he does it—if Rangnick works it out (and I think he will) I’ll be delighted...if he doesn’t...drop him. I don’t care whether or not Ronaldo plays- I care about how the team plays! So Jeppers mate, stop trying to twist what I’m saying...that’s about a simple as I can explain it. I will cheer every goal he scores and everything he tries for the team...I just won’t fan the hyperbole when I don’t think he improves us in any way.

That may well change under a coach that can use him properly. Let’s see.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You could tell yesterday he was trying to make the point to everyone with respect to his workrate and whether he can adapt to a new style. His mentality is top notch. He won’t be able to do that twice in a week (evident by him looking really tired by the end of the game) at his age but we have the numbers upfront, we need to take advantage of that.
With organised pressing, he wouldn't have to - we're on a crest of a wave with a feelgood factor slowly creeping back into the crowd and players, but we're still some way off cohesive pressing that has each main in a chain perform optimally in their individual roles. At the moment, there's a lot of overlap and players carrying others because some are not pulling their weight in the chain; Rashford, for example, not doing what was required will put more burden on another in his vicinity to run for him and attempt to shore up holes and exploits that shouldn't be there.

Ronaldo ran too much outside of his quadrant vs Arsenal, busting a gut and effectively covering for others not being where they should have been; this will not be a regular occurrence under Rangnick as he'll make sure each man does what he is supposed to, which in turn will reduce the amount of needless running Ronaldo does when he's on the pitch.

Once we're well oiled, I hope the perception of what pressing is changes and people better understand what it'll mean for everyone in the team. Once we finally exert control on matches, conserving energy collectively for the next set of pressing actions will become elementary and benefit everyone, not least Ronaldo.

It's almost like the team's style of play has an effect on individuals.

The amount of people posting this Ronaldo pressing stats like they're reflective of a lazy player refusing to help the team was just laughable. He's played in counter attacking sides his whole life and is probably the most effective player in the history of football at killing teams from deep on the counter. He's never been asked to press consistently and even under Rangnick I suspect he wont be asked to do much more than cut a few passing lanes.

Ronaldo really has brought out the absolute worst in journalists and punditry. No context, no in depth analysis - Just lazy narratives. It's embarrassing.
Good post.

SER19

This entire conversation will almost certainly just look silly and like a waste of time when hes consistently banging in goals if Rangnick turns us into a good team.

Strelok

I know many people would want to see him pressing hard on the pitch, but that's very stupid.

We bought him for the goals, but not for the pressing and donkey works. He is wasting his energy there, as he is not young anymore, which means his recoveries will be slower than before, despite him physically still being very fit.

I hope this won't end up with him being injured more often, as similar to Cavani, who is always injured. He should reserve his energy on making those runs which may lead to goalscoring chances instead, rather than chasing and pressuring the defenders.
Absolutely spot on.

Ronaldo is the Boss here. He will play whenever and wherever he wants to. The recent pressing/workrate talk is completely stupid. How on earth you can expect and ask the GOAT to run and press? That dirty work is reserved for those other peasant players.

If Ralf doesn't want to lose his job he should listen to Ronaldo. The whole existence of this club is to serve Ronaldo and his records. Nothing is more important than that.

Rajma

Hearing he injured himself while celebrating? Might not be available for Sunday according Sun.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Absolutely spot on.

Ronaldo is the Boss here. He will play whenever and wherever he wants to. The recent pressing/workrate talk is completely stupid. How on earth you can expect and ask the GOAT to run and press? That dirty work is reserved for those other peasant players.

If Ralf doesn't want to lose his job he should listen to Ronaldo. The whole existence of this club is to serve Ronaldo and his records. Nothing is more important than that.
Lots of players in the conversation for the “GOAT” worked really hard; Cruyff, di Stefano, Pele, etc.

mancan92

We've got 99 problems but a Ron ain't one! The guy bleeds victory juice, his DNA is winning, message sent last night, don't think he looked injured running down the tunnel, maybe just needed to drop a log, but almost certainly he can't do that twice a week, which means time for Rangnick to progress Mason as a #9 in packed game weeks given Cavani's injury issues and the fact he's bouncing after this seasonl
I was talking about when all of a sudden we were switching to a 3-5-2 to get Ronny a strike partner! There were threads on how that was the way forward and how it was worth it to get the best from Ronny...I disagreed.

Also, neither Rashford, Sancho or Amad or Martial or Greenwood are traditional wingers but there was a feeling that Ronaldo needed more crosses to feed off. I would prefer to see us play with inverted forwards - Greenwood and Rashford cutting in and shooting etc.

in short- I think Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho, with the right coach...could be fukin electric and with Bruno behind we could play some lovely stuff altogether. That doesn’t mean Ronny hasn’t got a place in the squad, but when he starts- we set up differently.

not sure why that opinion is so unacceptable?
We didn't switch to 352 to get Ronaldo a partner we switched to 352 because we couldn't stop conceding goals.

Secondly we have continued to play with inverted wingers. Ronaldo has played with greenwood and Rashford. So It feels like your simply moving the goal posts.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Thinking Ronaldo might be on the bench for this. He really bust a gut against Arsenal

captaincantona

We didn't switch to 352 to get Ronaldo a partner we switched to 352 because we couldn't stop conceding goals.

Secondly we have continued to play with inverted wingers. Ronaldo has played with greenwood and Rashford. So It feels like your simply moving the goal posts.
Bleeding hell...read what I wrote...All posts...I never said that’s why we moved to 352...I’m talking about the response to seeing us move to 2 up front. Jesus.

KeanoMagicHat

Who cares? Why are you comparing to other teams when they have different tactical systems? He covers as much ground as our wide players in Rashford & Greenwood even though they should really be covering more ground given that they play on the wings. Honestly, your comments are almost as stupid as saying he sinks less 3 pointers than LeBron James.
No he doesn't though, it's still a lot less than them. I agree that Greenwood is lazy, relative to what a wing player who is only 20 year old should be. I've criticised him plenty of times for that. But he was still running three times as often as Ronaldo. There's a bigger proportional gap in pressing between Greenwood and Ronaldo, than Greenwood and Lucas Moura.

MichaelRed

No he doesn't though, it's still a lot less than them. I agree that Greenwood is lazy, relative to what a wing player who is only 20 year old should be. I've criticised him plenty of times for that. But he was still running three times as often as Ronaldo. There's a bigger proportional gap in pressing between Greenwood and Ronaldo, than Greenwood and Lucas Moura.
He averages 0.1km less.

Goku1983

Im hearing he may have a slight injury which will rule him out for Sunday if its true I dont know weather we should put Greenwood or Martial up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.