Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean, it was always laughable to suggest Ronaldo would be anything other than 100% professional and give it his all. It's what he's done his entire career. He's not some guy who will complain if asked to press, and Rangnick will see one of the best of all time with pretty much the best professional attitude alive, of course he'll make him key. Minutes will need to be managed of course, but that was always the case.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Rested for some Young Boys demolition. He knows what he’s doing

kps88

It's funny how he's being judged more for his work off the ball than on it after the game.

BorisManUtd

You don't expect him to score from free kicks these days anymore. Maybe better if he left it to Telles. Anyways, rest Ronaldo vs Young Boys so he gets ready for Norwich. Man will be 37 in 2 months and just played 180+ minutes of football in less than 3 days, that's crazy.

Idxomer

People are just spouting the narrative that he is tired and can't adapt the system. Of course, he was at the end just like everyone was.

I thought his general play was the best in this game since he came back.
It's not a narrative.

Look at the difference in his numbers between the 1st and 2nd half, everything got worse.

SirAF

Ageist
its actually baffling me. Everyone including fecking energizer bunny fred looked gassed by half time. He played thursday then was asked to do intense pressing game like everyone else for 90 mins. Weird time to call out his energy levels
It’s crazy and pathetic, just ignore it.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It's not a narrative.

Look at the difference in his numbers between the 1st and 2nd half, everything got worse.
Everyone got worse we basically played the same lineup from arsenal in a 48 hour notice with only 1 training session with a brand new playing style

Yes he is old yes he can't play every game but he was very good tonight hell compare him to Marcus for God's sake

Kopral Jono

Gave absolutely everything again. Involved and eager. Should have been substituted if not for Rashford being absolute shit.
Absolutely. We're talking about a player here who has won everything under the sun bar the World Cup multiple times, in the twilight of his career, yet the shift he put in today was phenomenal all things considered. It just shows how much of a winner he is even at this stage.

Gottabekiddingme

How can people talk about work rate in the second half when the goal WE SCORED had him start out deep, distribute the ball to the flank and make a sprint to the box and draw defenders? Him not pressing was more about how Palace evened out the game

Redlyn

We are missing Cavani to give this guy a rest with no hesitation.

El Zoido

What a player. 36 years old, 801 career goals, without doubt one of the greatest players to play the game. And here he is putting in a shift like he’s 18 years old trying to impress the new manager. It’s just a mentality thing, you can only be impressed by his approach to the game. An excellent performance today, no goals but still a good team performance

The Irish Connection

What a player. 36 years old, 801 career goals, without doubt one of the greatest players to play the game. And here he is putting in a shift like he’s 18 years old trying to impress the new manager. It’s just a mentality thing, you can only be impressed by his approach to the game. An excellent performance today, no goals but still a good team performance
Totally agree. His work rate was phenomenal to watch today given his age. Always gave Palace’s defense something to think about. I can’t get my head around people in the media saying we’re better off without him.
Hopefully Ralf can get things clicking better in the final 3rd with more training.

The United

It's not a narrative.

As everyone's did except for Fred probably.

Meaning the team is not used to this type of playing style and won't be for awhile.

SonyaCross493

Man United boss Rangnick praises Ronaldo’s work-rate after 1-0 win over Palace

https://theathletic.com/news/man-un...after-1-0-win-over-palace/HSsr5zJzCIxh/?amp=1

Is he really human almost 37 years of age!? Almost 2 full physically demanding games in the most physically challenging League in the World in the space of a few days! The GOAT. Chapeau!

Happy with CR7 today. He had no clear cut chances but we created more for him this game than we did under Ole and some half-chances for him that on another day would be 2 or 3 goals. He can't score every game that's not realistic but you don't need to always score to have a good game. It's good his team-mates are finally stepping up when he doesn't score every-game. Which will shut up the critics going on about pressing and how Ronny is the problem while we lose etc.. no it was individual defensive mistakes by the likes of Maguire and Shaw was the reason we lost. Something Rangnick won't put up with thankfully

Also love the fact we are crossing the ball more. Ronny is going to score loads of goals with Rangnick as manager. He had more shots on goal this game then he ever had in 1 game under Ole. Good early signs. Imagine after Rangnick has coached this team after a month how good they'll be!

Last edited:

captaincantona

Great shift put in by him today...not as involved as we would have liked...if Telles could put a bit of pace on those crosses...anyway...he is showing Rashford what it takes at the moment.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Makes obvious sense to rest him for Young Boys, but you know Ronaldo will want to play in that as only one player has ever scored in all 6 group games...Ronaldo himself!

SonyaCross493

Makes obvious sense to rest him for Young Boys, but you know Ronaldo will want to play in that as only one player has ever scored in all 6 group games...Ronaldo himself!
Possibly. But I think Rangnick will talk with Ronny and agree together for Ronny to come on in the second half for 20-30 minutes cameo. That way Ronny can still get a goal. Or Ronny plays first-half then gets subbed at half-time after grabbing his goal xD

criticalanalysis

Got to admit I was a bit apprehensive about his move to us before but he's been really professional and I don't really have any complaints about his performances. I'm only worried his work rate is not sustainable for his body or for the progression of our team.

For example as good as he was still pressing and tracking runs in the 90+ minute, he should have come off probably 10-20 mins before that. Or at least in future situations, I think he needs to be managed where we should be taking him off after 2 goals ahead at the end of games with 20-30 mins remaining without any drama.

IhabX7

Best player on the pitch in the first 30 minutes when we looked good as a team. Faded in the second half. Good stuff all I’m all.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Hopefully with proper management he isn't required to play everygame for 90 minutes and the team is able to control games in order for him, and the squad overall, being rested. He will work hard no matter the opposition but ideally you want him full strenght in the second half of the season when the knock out games of the UCL are played and the cup finals and last games of the season when you're in a title race.

He doesn't have that luxury at current Manchester United but so far he has exceded my expectations and every manager would like to work with someone as professional as him as his teammates would see how hard he works and maybe would put some extra effort.

bakalhau

I'm liking this Rangnick guy. Seems like he has a knack to say the things it only takes 2 eyeballs to see.

I want him to play badly next CL game, but honestly it would be good if he played only a part, or no minutes at all. As you guys said, the team dropped a notch 2nd half since it was the same team that played barely 3 days ago. And I'd like him to contribute even more in the PL, as I want so much to see United win a PL with him here.

Teja

Props to the guy. 37, won everything there is, easily one of the top 5 players to ever play the game, never really played in a pressing system before and he does that.

Neymar and Mbappe can learn a thing or two from him.

Ralph1386

He’s been the least injured of our strikers this season so far. Age does not matter for him.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
For someone who is supposedly a prima donna, he's one of the most professional players I have ever seen. Amazing to me that his ego never prevents him from adapting, and following a new manager's orders. You could almost forgive someone with his reputation and ability for not wanting to press and run all day, but he just gets on with it and does what's asked of him.

The United

Some people's agenda with this guy here is that whether he is tired or not towards the end or how much he presses.

"Look, he is tired. I told you so!".

The rest of his play, goals and whatever does not matter. Football fans nowadays are a weird bunch.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Odd to see the "He looked 36" "He's showing his age" etc kind of comments. Yes he tired in the 2nd half but so did all the 20-30 year olds in the side. We played a very high energy approach that we haven't been able to prepare for, of course he got tired.
Yeah that's strange as feck. "He looked 36." Well, of course he did. He's 36. Probably said by some embryos who know feck all about life and think they really impressed that girl at the weekend by trying to act tough in front of her mates (you didn't, you looked like a right twat).

It's the new thing to bash Ronaldo with though, isn't it? Before the Arsenal match it was "Ronnie can't press and never will" and after he did in fact press for almost the entire game it became "Ronnie can't press all the time." Which he did for a second match running. He ran himself into the ground to the point where his footwork was screwed up - and that's the thing; if you ever needed proof that he'd completely knackered himself then look at how his absolute best quality became poor almost instantly. And yet, there he was, still at 36 (that's THIRTY FECKING SIX for all the dipshits in the back row) still running back to help out the defense after 95 minutes. I really don't think people understand what usually happens to players in the final years of their career. Even Giggs stopped sprinting and had to retrain as an AM, and even that was supported with all of his extra curricular fecking his brother's partner self indulgent yoga bollocks.

So Ronaldo did what people said he wouldn't do twice, even after people moved the argumentative goalposts. And instead of saying "played well for the most part, had some issues towards the end but let's be realistic" they all said "no. Bad Portuguese man. Back in your cage. No food for you because you weren't perfect like literally nobody in the world is *smack* *smack*"

So, what next but to have a go at his biological clock? feck sake. This is why we don't deserve nice things. We're a bunch of moaning little cnuts, like.

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
its actually baffling me. Everyone including fecking energizer bunny fred looked gassed by half time. He played thursday then was asked to do intense pressing game like everyone else for 90 mins. Weird time to call out his energy levels
Ronaldo did look well knackered at the end but he was still going for it to be fair to him. There's no way he can do that for 90 minutes every week though. He's 36 at the end of the day, even if he's a bit of a freak. Surely he's coming off or on after 60 minutes a lot more?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We should rest him for Young Boys game . It’s meaningless game anyway. And he just have 2 demanding games in space of 3 days.

owlo

Reminds me of SAF. Always reinventing himself and using his arrogance and self belief to believe he can do rather than hunkering down in a set pattern. Even in a poor game, its great to see.

RedViv

Loved the lung busting run he made towards the end to defend the crystal palace run, i think it was in the injury time and those flicks were awesome.

SonyaCross493

Crazy thing is.. the way Ronny played yesterday, he could actually extend his playing career. While most casual and fair weather football fans will say Ronny has had a bad game because he didn't score a goal yesterday against Crystal Palace.. if he can still impress his manager (this case Ralf Rangnick) when he doesn't score a goal in a game that's what matters most. And can easily extend his playing career especially at the very top with Manchester United. Injuries permitting.

Maybe at 37 years old you can teach an old dog new tricks!?

That deft header down for Fernandes to have a shot on goal was a thing of beauty. And unselfish.

Like I said to a friend yesterday.. Ronny's teammates are finally stepping up to ease the burden on CR7's shoulders/back from carrying the team all season.. He doesn't feel the need to be the star and score every game now (otherwise the team might lose/draw). If his teammates can actually defend and not make individual defensive mistakes to keep a clean sheet and also the other players chip in with goals like yesterday and against Arsenal (like they did the last time he played for United very successfully in 2003-2009) he won't all the criticism/blame for the bad results which was stupid/misguided anyway when he was the only player with De Gea doing his job. He's always the solution never the problem. No Ronaldo, no party!

Last edited:

SonyaCross493

We should rest him for Young Boys game . It’s meaningless game anyway. And he just have 2 demanding games in space of 3 days.
I agree. We are already through and need him more against Norwich to start climbing up the Premier League, though maybe we can even rest him in that game too and give him a well deserved almost 2 weeks off to recharge his batteries ready for the crucial second half of the season as like a mini winter break? Maybe send him back to Portugal to rest like Fergie did. Especially if Cavani is back. Ronny's teammates are finally stepping up so hopefully we can rest him more and not have it be a drama as we still win anyway. If we was winning by 2-3 goals yesterday I think we would've subbed him off to rest him.

For a player some people (who haven't met the guy personally I might add.. I have and seen him signing autographs for fans in the pouring rain while most of his teammates were on the comfy team bus) criticise for allegedly having a huge ego and being so arrogant etc (which he would have every right to have having won everything in football scoring 800+ goals) he just rolls his sleeves up, gets his head down and does what the manager asks him to do with no sulking. It's why every manager loves him and selects him in the team as he's the ultimate professional must be a dream for any manager. The likes of Neymar, Mbeppe and Messi could learn a thing or two!

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Part of man management is understanding the motivation of individuals. If Ronaldo wants the chance to make it 6/6 in the CL, then I probably wouldn't want to deny him, but he'd have to compromise and only get 30-60 minutes.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This is what I was saying in the summer when it looked like he was going to City and people were like "let him, he's past it and won't fit Pep's system" . Having watched Juve a lot last season, it was clear that his general play was still good enough to contribute to a top team (he especially linked up well with Morata) and he wasn't like Messi in that he turned into a turtle when out of possession. He still worked hard when the game/tactics called for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.