5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Maybe this is a personality issue from some of our youth players. Elanga has supposedly been a sponge to Ronaldo, you'll often find them together in training pictures.

Elanga's a bit of a gym maniac like Ronaldo as well so this is really good for him

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Jesus christ the things written in here. Have you not followed Ronaldo's career until now? He does this everytime he gets subbed. Even at Real where he was winning everything he threw massive strop against Zidane when subbed. Even when Sir Alex was here he lashed out when subbed. Some hilarious overreactions in here.
So what's all this about maturity and mentality then? And he was the best player in the world back then(shared with Messi). This is old old Ronaldo.

Highfather_24

He’s already dodged a couple of red cards on account of his name so I’d say you’re right there. That ties into the tantrum thing too, at 36 I couldn’t believe he was losing his discipline so easily and taking wild kicks at players.

For the Ronaldo of a few years ago you would 100% put up with that. But not this version. It’s not worth it.
Well this version is still our top scorer, single handedly dragged us into CL knockouts, and if you even forget his name, is still a decent striker, and has performed way better than his competition(Cavani). Greenwood whenever he has played at CF, doesnt look ready, and looks far better on the right. Is he a perfect player? No. But that doesnt mean he should be dropped.

A lot of his issues have been highlighted more due to our tactical problems(particularly during Ole's tenure). Most players have issues, and its on the manager to get them playing to their strengths. For example, Fred struggles when he is tasked with bringing the ball from defence, but does well when he plays a bit further up. Its all about tactics, its not Fred's fault.

Yes he has issues with tantrums, but so does Bruno. Not all players are emotionless.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm a bit torn on Ralf being this open with journos, not sure if it's a good thing or not.

It could be, don't get me wrong. It's just that my default reaction is more that he shouldn't have to comment on it at all - he's the boss, he makes the calls, end of story. Deal with any complaints in-house.

I dunno - I may read too much into it. But it doesn't sit 100% right with me that he has to come out and explain why he decided to sub off a player in what were - to me - perfectly uncontroversial circumstances.

troylocker

Jesus christ the things written in here. Have you not followed Ronaldo's career until now? He does this everytime he gets subbed. Even at Real where he was winning everything he threw massive strop against Zidane when subbed. Even when Sir Alex was here he lashed out when subbed. Some hilarious overreactions in here.
It was just as embaressing then as it is now.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think, with Ralf being somewhat open with the media, the players have little room to hide now. Ralf seems quite content with calling out or questioning the mentality of a few of our players.

Due to how disastrous this season has played out and how poorly the players have performed its quite entertaining really and long-term it puts him, and the next manager, in a stronger position over the players, especially more so if the management now have the full backing form the board and ownership.

The emphasis on my way or the highway is arguably much needed from our management now.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Chances of those quotes being real are slim to none.
Yeah, now that you mention it...did he actually say this?

I mean, these are direct quotes - when did he say it? Post-match interview? (I have no idea - haven't really followed anything very closely this past week).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
CR has probably been a culture shock for a lot of players at the club. A player is always 100% committed to his job and doesn't accept anything else from his colleagues will cause people, who got too comfortable in their position, to get annoyed if they get put someone like Ronaldo in front of them who demands from everyone to meat his standards.

I'm far from a Ronaldo fan, I don't like the way he acts in public, and I haven't forgiven him for leaving us for Real, and especially not the manner in which he and his agent behaved back then.

But there is one thing I would never question, it's his commitment to his job and the fact his attitude towards his job is something a lot of our current players are sorely missing. So yeah if they have a problem with Ronaldo not being all buddy-buddy with them and demanding everyone to give no less than 100% in training and on the pitch, it's them who need a wake-up call and not Ronaldo.
I fins this narrative amusing as if nobody at the club understandings hard work. Look at Bruno. He leaves everything out there on the pitch? He's also become a slacker become due to the Ronaldo PR machine?

Dante

Average bang
Hmm, me? None whatsoever.

You should re-read your post though. Especially the bits about Cristiano's tantrum being planned beforehand and how throwing a hissy fit before 30,000 spectators because you were subbed off is the right way to show pashun and United dNa.
You try reading it. But this time, don't project your own insecurities.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm a bit torn on Ralf being this open with journos, not sure if it's a good thing or not.

It could be, don't get me wrong. It's just that my default reaction is more that he shouldn't have to comment on it at all - he's the boss, he makes the calls, end of story. Deal with any complaints in-house.

I dunno - I may read too much into it. But it doesn't sit 100% right with me that he has to come out and explain why he decided to sub off a player in what were - to me - perfectly uncontroversial circumstances.
They were.

Unfortunately, Ronaldo made it controversial. I suppose you could argue pedantically that the media made it a controversy, but they're only reporting on something that happened.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I fins this narrative amusing as if nobody at the club understandings hard work.
We have problems, clearly - everyone knows this. But the idea that everyone apart from Ronaldo is perfectly happy to feck around aimlessly without putting in a shift, taking no pride in their work, having no desire to win - and so forth - is ridiculous.

It (the idea) is also - clearly - actively used by certain posters in order to portray Ronaldo in the best possible light: maybe, just maybe he isn't the best player in the world anymore - but he does have the best "mentality" (in fact, he's the only player we have with an "elite" mentality, etc.).

(This is not about shitting on Ronaldo - he clearly holds both himself and others to a high standard in terms of effort on the training pitch and whatnot - it's just blown out of all proportion in order to push a pretty transparent agenda).

steffyr2

We have problems, clearly - everyone knows this. But the idea that everyone apart from Ronaldo is perfectly happy to feck around aimlessly without putting in a shift, taking no pride in their work, having no desire to win - and so forth - is ridiculous.

It (the idea) is also - clearly - actively used by certain posters in order to portray Ronaldo in the best possible light: maybe, just maybe he isn't the best player in the world anymore - but he does have the best "mentality" (in fact, he's the only player we have with an "elite" mentality, etc.).

(This is not about shitting on Ronaldo - he clearly holds both himself and others to a high standard in terms of effort on the training pitch and whatnot - it's just blown out of all proportion in order to push a pretty transparent agenda).
Probably more likely it's caused by a hope that the problems at Utd are so easy to fix -- that the players are secretly really excellent and all that needs to happen is for a light to go off and they'll start skipping dessert, and start doing extra training, and start working together as a team......
Otherwise, the conclusion is that Utd have spent a billion $$ on a bunch of midlevel (and whiny!) players.......

Strelok

Wow he literally said it's because they're better than you Ronaldo :lol:

Man is freaking tough and bold I must say. And smart af as well. He came to babysit the crying toddler so the press can't make a fuss out of that. The next day he fecking tell everyone and especially Ronaldo "you got subbed because the younger players are better than you" :lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Unfortunately, Ronaldo made it controversial.
Yep - he did.

However, leaving Ronaldo himself out of it - for the sake of argument, should Ralf even comment on this thing?

Again, I may be focusing unduly on this thing - but when I first saw it (and I have to repeat that I don't know whether the published quotes are even accurate) my initial reaction was...why does he need to say this?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Otherwise, the conclusion is that Utd have spent a billion $$ on a bunch of midlevel (and whiny!) players.......
Which is a possibility...but I personally don't believe that.

We have problems - again - but it strikes me as very unlikely that we have consistently targeted (and promoted) players who are inherently lazy, entitled, useless, etc.

Some of them may be - probably are - but not most of them.

To include the obligatory "what Fergie would've done" part, he would have steered clear of certain players - and put a much heavier emphasis on personality/mentality when okaying certain purchases. He wouldn't have sanctioned the likes of Di Maria and Sanchez in a million years - but other players, including several who are currently on our books, he would've "simply" managed better. Meaning - there isn't necessarily anything horribly wrong with their attitudes (as modern-day players), they're just part of a dysfunctional setup.

United in sin

TBF I think comparing Seria A and the PL is a bit different. But those are still great numbers for Zlatan.
Every league is 'different'. Which league would you say is directly comparable to the PL?

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yep - he did.

However, leaving Ronaldo himself out of it - for the sake of argument, should Ralf even comment on this thing?

Again, I may be focusing unduly on this thing - but when I first saw it (and I have to repeat that I don't know whether the published quotes are even accurate) my initial reaction was...why does he need to say this?
Well, it depends on the situation really. Ordinarily, you probably wouldn't comment on it like this, but Ronaldo obviously made a meal out of it and turned it into something, and I guess Ralf thought he should clear things up.

In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't a big deal.

Matt851

Well this version is still our top scorer, single handedly dragged us into CL knockouts, and if you even forget his name, is still a decent striker, and has performed way better than his competition(Cavani). Greenwood whenever he has played at CF, doesnt look ready, and looks far better on the right. Is he a perfect player? No. But that doesnt mean he should be dropped.

A lot of his issues have been highlighted more due to our tactical problems(particularly during Ole's tenure). Most players have issues, and its on the manager to get them playing to their strengths. For example, Fred struggles when he is tasked with bringing the ball from defence, but does well when he plays a bit further up. Its all about tactics, its not Fred's fault.

Yes he has issues with tantrums, but so does Bruno. Not all players are emotionless.
The alternative viewpoint is that:
  • He completely unbalanced the team when he joined and although he may have scored important goals in the cl - he was a big reason why the performances were awful (both in the cl and in the league)
  • He is the senior leader in the dressing room and sets a bad example
  • Bruno performs much worse when playing with him, which is important because bruno is a much better player these days
  • He is a striker who can't perform well up front on his own, leading to us playing two up top more often resulting in the midfield getting overrun
  • Greenwood was playing well on his own up front earlier in the season

BlueHaze

So what's all this about maturity and mentality then? And he was the best player in the world back then(shared with Messi). This is old old Ronaldo.
Doesn't matter if he's old or not he just simply is who he is, he's not gonna change.

Gehrman

Doesn't matter if he's old or not he just simply is who he is, he's not gonna change.
Yeah he always makes it about him. That will never change. Despite all this "leadership" bollocks

Gehrman

Every league is 'different'. Which league would you say us directly comparable to the PL?
Probably none is. However plenty of players have been topscorers in Seria A and fairly wank in the PL.

Ladron de redcafe

Because you're 37yo and they're now better than you?

He didn't ask that question when SAF booted RVN out for him I guess.
What's genuinely surprising is to see a 37 year old act this childish and be this clueless and oblivious to how he comes across.
"Why me and not the young ones?". Jesus the cringe.

Gazza

I didn't like his reaction in so much as I didn't go "hell yea, throw a hissy fit and show that desire!" but at the same time you can see 90% of people here are armchair fans that have never seen an actual match. This sort of thing happens all of the time, you just don't see it on the TV because the camera isn't fixated on the bench, if it was Lindelof kicking off then you'd never have seen it. You only see this because it's Ronaldo & all eyes are on him.
Demonstrably false. TV cameras always pan to the bench if a player is throwing a strop, whoever it is. Like, every single time.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Wow he literally said it's because they're better than you Ronaldo :lol:

Man is freaking tough and bold I must say. And smart af as well. He came to babysit the crying toddler so the press can't make a fuss out of that. The next day he fecking tell everyone and especially Ronaldo "you got subbed because the younger players are better than you" :lol:
Sorry when did he literally say it’s because the younger players are better than him?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's getting the same criticisms Kane did at the euros.

He's not getting any service, so he's having to play as a false 9. He's not very good at it, unlike Kane.

People that think he's somehow past it because he's not scoring are deluded. He'd bang them in for a good, dominant team.

Gazza

I really should stay off this thread (Ronaldo is my favourites player) when Ronaldo doesn't score a goal in a game, it's toxic.. when Ronaldo doesn't score a goal in a goal so much criticism (compare the Criticism Ronaldo gets to Cavani for example it's chalk and cheese).. the standards are ridiculous and impossible for any player to live upto never mind one that is almost 37 years old.. he cost a measly £13 million which is nothing and paltry in todays standards. Sancho and Varane cost much more yet don't get even half the criticism for a bad game or in Sanchos case a poor whole season.

I honestly think it's best if we mutually agree to terminate Ronaldo's contract at the end of the season.. The team wins with him in if (not Cavani) and the fans want to drop him. He's definitely not loved like he wants and he is obviously unhappy as he feels the pressure and stress scapegoat for all the teams problems and it shows hence his reaction last night as he feels he needs to score goals to justify/defend himself and scoring goals is the only way he knows how.. So best for all parties if he leaves. And he can go somewhere where he's loved and adored play score all the time etc to win trophies.

everyone can be happy and move on then. The Media and fans killed the Golden Goose. Over-analysing and going OTT at everything Ronaldo does and only focusing on the negatives (instead of the positives like the chest pass)

Ronaldo should go to a Farmers League like Messi and then we will see who's better.
More nonsense armchair psychology from a predictable source

Status
Not open for further replies.