5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelRed

Hard to see what club capable of winning things takes him after his stint with us?
Almost anyone? Most top clubs have greater footballing minds than the general population of the caf & will see clear as day that he's not the reason for United failing.

captaincantona

No, no, you're right. Football isn't a team game and he should have picked up the ball in our half and scored a goal that would have overshadowed Maradona's legendary goal.
Stop playing silly buggers...no one expects that...they expect strikers to offer something and at a club like Utd...to offer something more than the basics...Ronaldo offers nothing - nothing outside of finishing and movement. It we could exploit that then maybe there would be a place for him. We can’t...so there isn’t.

He is no more culpable than any other player who is not doing a job that they are being asked to do for the team. No more, no less.

He doesn’t get a pass because of his reputation.

No, no, you're right. Football isn't a team game and he should have picked up the ball in our half and scored a goal that would have overshadowed Maradona's legendary goal.
:lol: I know our service to him was useless on Wednesday evening and I didn’t say he played bad! I am simply debating, how can anyone claim that he had a great game when he didn’t impact the game?

BTW I do expect Maradona moments from the highest paid player in the premier league. You should too

captaincantona

Almost anyone? Most top clubs have greater footballing minds than the general population of the caf & will see clear as day that he's not the reason for United failing.
Why are your views so simple? Who is saying he is the reason for United failing? Anyone with any type of experience watching, playing, coaching football can see that Ronaldo, at this point, is an icing on the cake player that will score goals in a dominant side in a poor league. Nothing more.
He won’t fare any better in any PL side bar City who are dominant over 90 minutes beyond anything we have ever really seen before.

He might fare ok in Portugal where the level is lower or the states...

He would be fuked in France which is getting better season by season, Germany which is a decent standard and Spain and he was on the wane in Italy. Might do a job for Ajax but they wouldn’t want him!

so please tell me which top side you think will sign him and let’s agree to meet here after the summer transfer window so you can tell me your feelings on how much Ronaldo always wanted to wear the great shirt of LA Galaxy.

United in sin

Hard to see what club capable of winning things takes him after his stint with us?
This guy's truly deluded if he thinks one of the well managed big clubs vying for top honors would play him now let alone past 40

Last edited:

The Irish Connection

A very solid and obviously underrated performance. It’s genuinely bananas how many of our so called fans think he is the problem.
Someone said they would prefer Martial, haha. Feck off.
Obviously he has declined but he’s been solid for us.

captaincantona

A very solid and obviously underrated performance. It’s genuinely bananas how many of our so called fans think he is the problem.
Someone said they would prefer Martial, haha. Feck off.
Obviously he has declined but he’s been solid for us.
Again - claiming that people think he is “the” problem when people just think he is “a” problem.

there is a huge difference. He is not being paid what he is being paid to be solid. He is not our no.1 striker week in week out to be solid. At a club like Utd we need better than solid.

That was a knock out Champions League game, him, Varane and Pogba were the guys who should have relished this experience...the closest to the type of big gameS they are used to during their time at Utd. The atmosphere was electric. They all shirked their responsibility. It’s that simple- I’m just not excusing Ronaldo because he was “solid”.

The Irish Connection

Again - claiming that people think he is “the” problem when people just think he is “a” problem.

there is a huge difference. He is not being paid what he is being paid to be solid. He is not our no.1 striker week in week out to be solid. At a club like Utd we need better than solid.

That was a knock out Champions League game, him, Varane and Pogba were the guys who should have relished this experience...the closest to the type of big gameS they are used to during their time at Utd. The atmosphere was electric. They all shirked their responsibility. It’s that simple- I’m just not excusing Ronaldo because he was “solid”.
But I can think of 5 players instantly, who are supposed to be in their prime, who have been worse than him.
We don’t have anyone better than him for the striker role so what’s the point in focusing on him.
Fernandes was awful in the atletico match apart from the assist but yet Ronaldo gets hammered if he does similar in having a poor all round game but gets a goal.

Ronaldos all round game has been quite good in the last few games but the goals and/or service has eluded him a bit.

Watch the video posted highlighting his atletico Madrid performance, some great touches by him in it. And of course he played a part in the goal again, but it won’t be recorded in the stats. Played a part in the Fred goal the other day too.
Martial would never have done what he did in the build up to that (atletico) goal.

United in sin

But I can think of 5 players instantly, who are supposed to be in their prime, who have been worse than him.
We don’t have anyone better than him for the striker role so what’s the point in focusing on him.
Fernandes was awful in the atletico match apart from the assist but yet Ronaldo gets hammered if he does similar in having a poor all round game but gets a goal.

Ronaldos all round game has been quite good in the last few games but the goals and/or service has eluded him a bit.

Watch the video posted highlighting his atletico Madrid performance, some great touches by him in it. And of course he played a part in the goal again, but it won’t be recorded in the stats. Played a part in the Fred goal the other day too.
Martial would never have done what he did in the build up to that (atletico) goal.
Martial has done it at United before, no need to be hyperbolic.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
so please tell me which top side you think will sign him and let’s agree to meet here after the summer transfer window so you can tell me your feelings on how much Ronaldo always wanted to wear the great shirt of LA Galaxy.
I believe he cannot enter the US due to the rape case/allegations against him? Otherwise the league would probably be best for him, I agree.

Matt851

I agree, he gets zero service. Not a single proper cross or any kind pass to him. How is he supposed to score when the ball never reaches the opposition’s box.
Conveniently ignoring all the presentable chances he has spaffed recently. He just isn't very good anymore, a roaming poacher that can't play upfront on his own, press, run in behind, hold the ball up or score free kicks. Made to look average by Middlesbrough centre backs. He is also a bit of a moany twat which I don't think does much for team morale

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Conveniently ignoring all the presentable chances he has spaffed recently. He just isn't very good anymore, a roaming poacher that can't play upfront on his own, press, run in behind, hold the ball up or score free kicks. Made to look average by Middlesbrough centre backs. He is also a bit of a moany twat which I don't think does much for team morale
Bollocks. If he is a moany twat I don't what that makes Bruno who is usually crying all match long. If he had missed chances against Atletico I would agree with you, but Rashford Bruno Sancho and Shaw couldn't manage to deliver the ball to him not even once in 90 minutes. The champions league all time top goalscorer doesn't forget how to score that easily.

Lewnited

Jesus Christ after Martial and Cavani I now find myself defending our third main striker in two years :lol:

The consensus seems to be that he should do more, but do more of what exactly? We've regularly lined up with Fred, McTominay and Bruno in midfield who've been struggling to string 3 or 4 10 yard passes between themselves since the stsrt of 2021.

Against Atleti we displayed some of the worst ball progression you'll find amongst the 'top' European teams. With Fred at #6, Lindelof out of position at RB, and Bruno/Pogba both , we had quite simply no-one progressing the ball up the field through dribbling or passing. Consequently, our second touch in the Atleti box didn't come until past the hour mark.

My question for those that have him high up on our problems list would be: what threat are you expecting him to pose while we routinely struggle to get the ball out of our own half? I have to stress that he's not infallable and he's of course had bad games, I can't imagine a player that wouldn't have a number of bad games infront of a team playing hot potato with the ball. But swap him out for any player in the world right now and I'm confident you'd have the same end result.

captaincantona

Jesus Christ after Martial and Cavani I now find myself defending our third main striker in two years :lol:

The consensus seems to be that he should do more, but do more of what exactly? We've regularly lined up with Fred, McTominay and Bruno in midfield who've been struggling to string 3 or 4 10 yard passes between themselves since the stsrt of 2021.

Against Atleti we displayed some of the worst ball progression you'll find amongst the 'top' European teams. With Fred at #6, Lindelof out of position at RB, and Bruno/Pogba both , we had quite simply no-one progressing the ball up the field through dribbling or passing. Consequently, our second touch in the Atleti box didn't come until past the hour mark.

My question for those that have him high up on our problems list would be: what threat are you expecting him to pose while we routinely struggle to get the ball out of our own half? I have to stress that he's not infallable and he's of course had bad games, I can't imagine a player that wouldn't have a number of bad games infront of a team playing hot potato with the ball. But swap him out for any player in the world right now and I'm confident you'd have the same end result.
Worst ball progression why? Because our two attacking midfielders had a mare and our 6 is not a 6. However, strikers can do a lot to move you up the field and neither Ronaldo or Rashford did ANYTHING in that regard. Kane against City and Kane in general is a prime example of helping his team progress up the field and dominate possession higher up. Players like Benzema, Lewandowski, Vardy, C-Lewin, Dzeko, Moreno...and I can keep going...all occupy centre halves and can be a nightmare to defend against without any huge levels of support from midfield.

aside from getting up the pitch and actually posing a threat, Just look at Correa’s performance for Athletico for what a forward player can offer aside from a goal threat. Or Martinez at inter.

Ronaldo has looked less of a liability because he is dropping deeper and it’s not always the CBs that are tracking him. This is pointless because he is our sole striker and if he keeps dropping deep to play fairly routine flicks or backward passes we have no one...no one occupying two CBs...they are resting and rubbing their hands together and watching the game unfold in front of them. When Ronaldo stays up top...he loses the ball more often then not
and gets visibly bullied.

swap him out for any player in the world???? Gladly. You my friend need a nap in your Ronaldo duvet cover.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Apparently ronaldos held talks with rangnick about switching to a 2 up front formation. That would probably get the best out of him but that striker partner has to be the perfect one.. someone who can make good runs and have good movement… but what formation has 2 up front that also allows wingers without playing a 4-4-2. We’re all about pacey wingers and we have sancho who is getting inform.

Irwin99

Does anyone think a 3-5-2 would help Ronaldo more? He'd have a striker a little bit closer to him and obviously Bruno running from midfield. Hard to see how a formation change would work considering the weakness of the 4-2-2-2 experiment

Matt851

Bollocks. If he is a moany twat I don't what that makes Bruno who is usually crying all match long. If he had missed chances against Atletico I would agree with you, but Rashford Bruno Sancho and Shaw couldn't manage to deliver the ball to him not even once in 90 minutes. The champions league all time top goalscorer doesn't forget how to score that easily.
Disagreeing with someone saying Ronaldo is moany is laughable. Can you imagine any neutral fans disagreeing with such an entirely uncontroversial statement. Agree Bruno is moany as well but he tends to focus his complaints at the referree and opposition rather than his own team mate, he is also a better footballer than Ronaldo these days so it's more worthwhile. Your reference to Ronaldos champions league record shows how stuck in the past you are. He used to be a great player but isn't anymore. It's fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain

He offers nothing to the team except for goals and he doesn't score enough goals these days to make it worthwhile. His record in the league is poor particularly if you look at the quality of the teams he has scored against

ClassOf'99

Worst ball progression why? Because our two attacking midfielders had a mare and our 6 is not a 6. However, strikers can do a lot to move you up the field and neither Ronaldo or Rashford did ANYTHING in that regard. Kane against City and Kane in general is a prime example of helping his team progress up the field and dominate possession higher up. Players like Benzema, Lewandowski, Vardy, C-Lewin, Dzeko, Moreno...and I can keep going...all occupy centre halves and can be a nightmare to defend against without any huge levels of support from midfield.

aside from getting up the pitch and actually posing a threat, Just look at Correa’s performance for Athletico for what a forward player can offer aside from a goal threat. Or Martinez at inter.

Ronaldo has looked less of a liability because he is dropping deeper and it’s not always the CBs that are tracking him. This is pointless because he is our sole striker and if he keeps dropping deep to play fairly routine flicks or backward passes we have no one...no one occupying two CBs...they are resting and rubbing their hands together and watching the game unfold in front of them. When Ronaldo stays up top...he loses the ball more often then not
and gets visibly bullied.

swap him out for any player in the world???? Gladly. You my friend need a nap in your Ronaldo duvet cover.
Did you watch the highlights or the match?

Ronaldo and Rashford for his sins, regularly make runs in behind, which are either seen and its too late by the time our players realise its on or they ignore the pass because they can't make the pass.

Neither of these are a fault of our forwards but a fault in the lack of quality of the players behind them being incapable of playing the pass.

Also you keep quoting others saying "who is saying hes the problem in the team", I would guess you don't read this thread often, it's almost a majority that believe this, his overall team performance is what I would expect at the minimum from our 9 but it's something very new for Ronaldo to do but we should've known all of this when we purchased him instead of him being the scapegoat for us as a team being crap.

I don't think he should be our main striker as he seems to play better with a partner and him cutting in off another defender rather than jousting with 2 cbs on his own, I think this is an indication of age catching up to him that he can't play as a winger anymore but he also is having to adapt to trying to be a sole striker which as we've seen just doesn't suit him or us.

"outside of finishing and movement. It we could exploit that then maybe there would be a place for him. We can’t...so there isn’t." probably the only thing you've wrote that I agree with.

On Wednesday he seemed to be the only one up for it, dropping deep trying to get us going and putting himself about, Wednesday he was the very least of our problems as that first half was an absolute mare as a team.

ClassOf'99

Also the 433 does not suit him as the lone striker and maybe not the 4222 either as it was dire but that's not the only 2 striker formation, 352?

We have the defenders for that, and Sancho, Bruno or Rashford could play either CF, SS or up top with Ronaldo to support higher link up play.
1(9)
1(10)
2(8s)
3(Lwb/Cdm/Rwb)
3(Cb)
Gk

Ronaldo
Bruno/Sancho/Rashford

Pogba/Bruno----Fred/Scott

Telles--Scott/Matic---Dalot

Shaw--Lindelof/Maguire--Varane

Dave

Swap any of the back line as needed as per form or opponent, wap any of the 10 or 8s to compensate for the same and the wingbacks depending on our attacking confidence, Ronaldo with either Sancho or Bruno playing CF/SS is something I'd be interested to see.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Average fan doesn't understand football. Strikers will be crap in this system unless you play counter attacking hit and run with the likes of rashford.

AFC NimbleThumb

Good post.

Every season our fanbase look for a quick fix, blaming one player or another when the flaws are vast & fundamental. As you say Ronaldo isn’t above blame but he’s a reason not the reason. We don’t have a way of consistently creating chances for our attacking players.

MichaelRed

Why are your views so simple? Who is saying he is the reason for United failing? Anyone with any type of experience watching, playing, coaching football can see that Ronaldo, at this point, is an icing on the cake player that will score goals in a dominant side in a poor league. Nothing more.
He won’t fare any better in any PL side bar City who are dominant over 90 minutes beyond anything we have ever really seen before.

He might fare ok in Portugal where the level is lower or the states...

He would be fuked in France which is getting better season by season, Germany which is a decent standard and Spain and he was on the wane in Italy. Might do a job for Ajax but they wouldn’t want him!

Oh, when did you & the rest of the footballing authorities get together and make this decision? Seriously, it's like you get paid comission on every post you make bashing the guy so why would anyone try to convince you of anything? Just a waste of time.

captaincantona

Oh, when did you & the rest of the footballing authorities get together and make this decision? Seriously, it's like you get paid comission on every post you make bashing the guy so why would anyone try to convince you of anything? Just a waste of time.
No no...you’re right...Ronaldo’s time at Utd has taught us he is capable of walking into any team and improving standards and adapting to their style, scoring goals, making a difference?

What on earth is controversial about what I’m saying. The main defenders of him are saying the team are at fault for not creating for him...that basically confirms what my view is...that he offers nothing without a good supply line and that we can’t provide that...ie. unless a team is dominant and can create and create...you won’t see the best of him because the rest of his game is bang average...and in that scenario, there are other types of forward players, less lauded for their mediocrity, that would offer us more.

(goes to cash his “bash Ronaldo” cheque:lol:)

AndySmith1990

No worries. While our rivals will go out and pick up some of the best young players in football to improve their teams, we can carry on arguing about whether a 37 year old forward is still any good, because that's what United do, make mistakes and then persist with the mistake and squabble about it for years while getting no closer to winning anything.

Woodenlung

It's been clear for months now that he's finished. Ronaldo can't actually do anything right on the pitch. We're much better off dropping him and starting Elanga or whoever instead.

Maguire and Rashford have gotten criticism for months over their poor performances, but Ronaldo has been every bit as bad.

Corridor of Uncertainty

At least he'll do us a favour and feck off when we don't have champions League football.

For what he costs in wages, he's been an absolute failure.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He'll think he's too good for the Europa League and run away in the summer. It's his countless sitters that has us in this position.

He's fecking finished.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Looked like his ‘Neville against West Brom’ moment, really hope it’s just poor form but he looks like he has no confidence anymore.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
It's been clear for months now that he's finished. Ronaldo can't actually do anything right on the pitch. We're much better off dropping him and starting Elanga or whoever instead.

Maguire and Rashford have gotten criticism for months over their poor performances, but Ronaldo has been every bit as bad.
Aye, the 3 of them need to all go.

Status
Not open for further replies.