5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roux

The problem of the matter is that he sulks when he is benched, he sulks when he is sub. If he clearly priorities on World Cup then at least RR and him can mutually agree on arrangement such as he will play 1 game per week and we should see smile on his face, when on bench, when starting at 70th. This is what we have seen on Cavani, but not super-star Ronaldo, who still doesn't realise how old he is.
Alot of top players do the same thing - Salah did it in the last game. He's a winner that wants to conbriture - i prefer that mentality than one who doesn't care. You shouldn't be happy to be a sub - you should want to play. Ronaldo and Rooney would rage when Fergie rested or dropped them.

KeanoMagicHat

Alot of top players do the same thing - Salah did it in the last game. He's a winner that wants to conbriture - i prefer that mentality than one who doesn't care. You shouldn't be happy to be a sub - you should want to play. Ronaldo and Rooney would rage when Fergie rested or dropped them.
Salah is the best player in the league and justifies it. Ronaldo doesn't justify it anymore. I never like to see players do it, but at Salah's age you could say Ronaldo justified it. Not now.

There's such a thing as accepting your role in the game and the team now though. Is Ronaldo going to be like this when he's 40/41 or until the day he retires when he can barely move? Instead of confidence it just comes across as delusion of his current abilities.

Mickson

Juve being in shambles having their worst season in the last 10 years + United finishing 2nd last season & strengthened team with the arrival of Varane & Sancho + no interest from Real, PSG, Chelsea etc. Tbh, it looks like a no brainer.

I remember most United fans here were expecting a proper title challenge in August, nobody would call this United team one of the worst in August, quite the opposite actually.
Those who don't know football would rave over Ole and Ronaldo, yes. Many others were very skeptical.

Roux

Salah is the best player in the league and justifies it. Ronaldo doesn't justify it anymore. I never like to see players do it, but at Salah's age you could say Ronaldo justified it. Not now.

There's such a thing as accepting your role in the game and the team now though. Is Ronaldo going to be like this when he's 40/41 or until the day he retires when he can barely move? Instead of confidence it just comes across as delusion of his current abilities.
You cannot change you traits and attitude - Salah will be like this when he is 37 too, it's just ingrained in people. Michael Jordan was like that his entire career even when he was past his best.

KeanoMagicHat

You cannot change you traits and attitude - Salah will be like this when he is 37 too, it's just ingrained in people. Michael Jordan was like that his entire career even when he was past his best.
And Michael Jordan at Washington Wizards is a bit like Ronaldo at United now, whereas Salah is like Kobe Bryant was at that time. Ronaldo has certain abilities that he'll never completely lose but he's miles off the player we remember dominating.

Roux

And Michael Jordan at Washington Wizards is a bit like Ronaldo at United now, whereas Salah is like Kobe Bryant was at that time. Ronaldo has certain abilities that he'll never completely lose but he's miles off the player we remember dominating.
again - it's nothing to do with how they perform physically. It's a mental trait, one that never really goes away - they all have a competitive mentality outside of football too.

MUFC OK

Looking forward to seeing him play again, especially in the CL. I'd personally like to see him here next season, as long as we sign a young striker to share the mins. Pretty sure he wont stay if we're not in the CL though.

Gottabekiddingme

If you don't pair him with Cavani up top I don't think he should be a starter vs Atletico.

He's useless as a lone striker. We have months of proof. Can't out muscle defenders, can't constantly put pressure, and not good with his back to goal.

cyril C

If you don't pair him with Cavani up top I don't think he should be a starter vs Atletico.

He's useless as a lone striker. We have months of proof. Can't out muscle defenders, can't constantly put pressure, and not good with his back to goal.
Nor we can afford 70y old duo against a good side. Play both only after 70th min when we are desperate. Cavani and CR should be rotated, whether they like it or not.

United in sin

Hope he gets dropped against Atletico so he can see himself out the door and spare the club the effort. This has been one of the worst signings in recent history, one that epitomizes the poor planning and downright negligence this club has exhibited in abundance for a long time now.

The boy does not want to be here and he doesn't care to show it anymore. He went against Rangknick's policy over players spending their rehab in Manchester. I doubt he was injured before the city game.

JB7

Hope he gets dropped against Atletico so he can see himself out the door and spare the club the effort. This has been one of the worst signings in recent history, one that epitomizes the poor planning and downright negligence this club has exhibited in abundance for a long time now.
Well if this isn't one of the exaggerations of the season. We're talking about our top scorer who without we would be lower down the table and out of the Champions League in the group stage. And if signing Ronaldo shows poor planning then I'd be interested in who exactly people think would have been playing up front over the past two months given Cavani is never available, Martial forced a move and Greenwood is a bellend.

What did show poor planning was signing a 37 year old striker and playing him in a role that he has never played over a prolonged period of time throughout his entire career in club football and expecting him to just be brilliant at it.

MrEleson

What complete, utter bollocks. You have maguire stinking up the place and somehow this is the worst signing in recent history. The club wouldn’t even be playing Atletico if he didn’t show up. Probably playing some team in Croatia on Thursday night.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Are we allowed to post this? Or only when it's other way around:wenger:
And Watford - Utd 4-1
Utd - M'boro 1-1
Wasn't there a game we were winning and he came on as a sub, and it ended up as a draw?
I'm not sure what the point of this is.

The argument people have been having is "Ronaldo is holding the team back." The counterpoint is "the team doesn't do much without Ronaldo on the pitch either, so that must not be entirely true."

What does "the team is also bad with him on the pitch" prove? That United are currently bad? I don't think anyone's disputing that.

choccy77

Ronaldo not training today.

Apparently he has been injured for 3 months according to latest stories.

Hmmmmm

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I reckon he only plays now and then until the summer and then he will leave.

He will play against Atletico I’m sure, but probably have another injury if we go out

MUFC OK

The boy does not want to be here and he doesn't care to show it anymore. He went against Rangknick's policy over players spending their rehab in Manchester. I doubt he was injured before the city game.
Posts like this really make me want to get off this site, for good. Call yourself a United fan? Imbecile.

youmeletsfly

I think I noticed during some of the games that there were times where he avoided contact with the defender and didn't really get stuck in. Maybe this is the cause or maybe I'm finding reasons to defend his form.

ClassOf'99

Posts like this really make me want to get off this site, for good. Call yourself a United fan? Imbecile.
There have been worse posts than this in the 240+ pages of this "player performances" thread.

Many seem to have a love affair with Barcelona/Messi, or still hate Ronaldo for leaving us for Madrid.

I guess rose tinted glasses work both ways but taking a break from this forum especially after match day helps to still want to be apart of this community.

Although some of the idiots here do make it hard, especially when they call themselves United fans.

I hope his recent injury is the reason and not a cover for the last few months of performances, as I had just chalked in down as wrong player for this manager/system.

djembatheking

If he is injured then he will need to rest up , might be good to get a run out for Portugal in the qualifiers to assess his fitness.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I love Ronnie but this has been an unmitigated disaster. He probably cost Ole his job and wrecked the team dynamic.
The reason Ole even lasted as long as he did this season was probably because of Ronnie. If United get knocked out of the CL group stages Ole would have been long gone before he eventually got sacked.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
The reason Ole even lasted as long as he did this season was probably because of Ronnie. If United get knocked out of the CL group stages Ole would have been long gone before he eventually got sacked.
You could argue very well that the team dynamic would have been stronger without the overpowering focus of Ronaldo. I know he is your boy, we loved him too but his transfer did clearly upset the apple cart.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
You could argue very well that the team dynamic would have been stronger without the overpowering focus of Ronaldo. I know he is your boy, we loved him too but his transfer did clearly upset the apple cart.
I do agree this movie should have never happened, I’m just talking about the Ole part.

He committed career suicide by going to United at this stage in his career, the team has no style of play no long term plan and is poorly constructed, adding Ronaldo was supposed to “cover up the cracks” but at 37 its Just not possible. He needed to join a team that was ready to win now and where he can be the final piece. With or without Ronaldo this team was always going to have a poor season and arguably the CL would of already been out of the question.

For both of their sakes I hope they part ways in the summer. The fans clearly don’t want him and I think he does not want to be here either. You can tell he regrets listening to Rio, Sir Alex etc about choosing United over City because of “legacy”

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I’m still in shock as to why Ronaldo chose to join one of the worst United teams in modern history in the first place.
We'd just come 2nd, signed Varane and Sancho and he probably thought that he could be the man to lift us to 1st, which would be the ultimate legacy boost.
Obviously factor in the money too, but it's not like we'd have been the only offer of top money.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I do agree this movie should have never happened, I’m just talking about the Ole part.

He committed career suicide by going to United at this stage in his career, the team has no style of play no long term plan and is poorly constructed, adding Ronaldo was supposed to “cover up the cracks” but at 37 its Just not possible. He needed to join a team that was ready to win now and where he can be the final piece. With or without Ronaldo this team was always going to have a poor season and arguably the CL would of already been out of the question.

For both of their sakes I hope they part ways in the summer. The fans clearly don’t want him and I think he does not want to be here either. You can tell he regrets listening to Rio, Sir Alex etc about choosing United over City because of “legacy”
I'd imagine the match going United fans are still very supportive of him and love him.
They still cheered Moyes when losing 3-0 to City and Pool back to back for goodness sake.

flappyjay

We'd just come 2nd, signed Varane and Sancho and he probably thought that he could be the man to lift us to 1st, which would be the ultimate legacy boost.
Obviously factor in the money too, but it's not like we'd have been the only offer of top money.
The past few weeks make it look like we finished 8th last season if you look on this forum.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The past few weeks make it look like we finished 8th last season if you look on this forum.
Forums tend to concentrate on the negatives don't they.
These next 2 games are critical to say the least though - can rescue the season still.

I'm up for the Atletico game, and I've seen Ronnie score 3 in the 2 games I've been at OT for.
That has to be a good omen :)

United in sin

Well if this isn't one of the exaggerations of the season. We're talking about our top scorer who without we would be lower down the table and out of the Champions League in the group stage. And if signing Ronaldo shows poor planning then I'd be interested in who exactly people think would have been playing up front over the past two months given Cavani is never available, Martial forced a move and Greenwood is a bellend.

What did show poor planning was signing a 37 year old striker and playing him in a role that he has never played over a prolonged period of time throughout his entire career in club football and expecting him to just be brilliant at it.
If he wasn't here someone else would've scored those goals and maybe not in the last minutes of games. Our attack was better last season with Bruno leading it, and Ronaldo has been a flop in the premier league. He's scored two doubles and two penalties and has struggled to score from open play for long stretches. Look how easily PL defenders have handled him. The goals mean nothing when our entire attack looks disjointed since his return

As for the second part in bold, that's merely a lazy excuse. What position was Ronaldo realistically hoping to play in the setup under Solskjaer when he first signed? The club and the player didn't think things through. No excuses

What complete, utter bollocks. You have maguire stinking up the place and somehow this is the worst signing in recent history. The club wouldn’t even be playing Atletico if he didn’t show up. Probably playing some team in Croatia on Thursday night.
Maguire was a terrible signing as well. Ronaldo is also right up there among the worst due to the absolute lack of foresight as to how his signing would impact the club and the direction it was supposedly going in.

Hey, no one is stoping you love.

Last edited:

Irwin99

I love Ronnie but this has been an unmitigated disaster. He probably cost Ole his job and wrecked the team dynamic.
Ole could have been sacked 3 times before in his tenure here; i think it really was only a matter of time before those comeback winning streaks he'd go on to save his job ran out.

JB7

If he wasn't here someone else would've scored those goals and maybe not in the last minutes of games. Our attack was better last season with Bruno leading it, and Ronaldo has been a flop in the premier league. He's scored two doubles and two penalties. Look how easily PL defenders have handled him. The goals mean nothing when our entire attack looks disjointed since his return

As for the second part in bold, that's merely a lazy excuse. What position was Ronaldo realistically hoping to play in the setup under Solskjaer when he first signed? The club and the player didn't think things through. No excuses, he's still the highest paid player at the club
Well it's not a lazy excuse at all, it's factual whether we like it or not. He has never for any length of time played as a lone striker at club level, he's played off both wings (only really from the left since he left United in 2009) and in a two man strikeforce and has scored a ridiculous number of goals throughout his career. Signing him to do something he hasn't done previously was completely insane.

As for the attack looking disjointed, the whole team has looked disjointed. Let's not pretend we looked any better in the Southampton and Wolves games before he joined.

Status
Not open for further replies.