5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJJT

Doesn’t matter who plays up top in this team you won’t kick the ball and if you do it will be a desperate attempt regardless.

Frank Grimes

Coleman dispossessed him in the latter stages of the game when he tried a dribble and it was like he was moving in slow motion. If he is here next season starting every game we are not improving.

Jericho

[
What are his strengths? Does he physically trouble defenders in behind? Can he hold the ball up? Is he a danger when facing and running at defenders? Is he a pressing machine? Is his workrate down the channels infectious? Does he offer an out ball? Is he immense at linking play ala Kane? What as a number 9 does he actually offer? Goals are what he offers right? Except not really. Not anymore. That’s a lot of questions…
Provide him a tap-in and there’s a good chance he’ll tap it in.

The Purley King

Coleman dispossessed him in the latter stages of the game when he tried a dribble and it was like he was moving in slow motion. If he is here next season starting every game we are not improving.
If he’s here next season he’ll need a fuxking Zimmer frame

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Seeing this one worked a treat. What other nostalgic signing shall we make next? Do we pry Nani away from Venezia?

Luke1995

Didn't get service and doesn't have the legs to get involved in build-up play. He's not done... but the midfield needs to create goal scoring opportunities for him.

YooNow

Don't know what he is expected to do today when Everton sat down deep and compact, and the quality of our midfield is so shit.

Sancho cannot go past players, Bruno does hollywood passes to the stands, Rashford only runs into defenders

What the heck is he supposed to do?

Last edited:

soapythecat

No way on earth he will stay for Europa conference next season - or no European football at all (I’d rather the latter). His wages will take a hit without European football too. He didn’t look interested again today - for his wages he should be doing so much more.

Mickson

What are his strengths? Does he physically trouble defenders in behind? Can he hold the ball up? Is he a danger when facing and running at defenders? Is he a pressing machine? Is his workrate down the channels infectious? Does he offer an out ball? Is he immense at linking play ala Kane? What as a number 9 does he actually offer? Goals are what he offers right? Except not really. Not anymore. That’s a lot of questions…
Being a goat and screaming 'siuuu' as a 37-year-old.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
You shouldn't judge individual's player performance in a team that doesn't work collectively. When a team doesn't work all players look like shite.

RonaldoVII

I was the other side of that barrier and saw the "incident". Some Everton fans were holding their hands out for the United players and to me it just looked like Ronaldo slapped hands with one, albeit with a bit of force, as a couple of others did. Looked nothing more than that.

MoskvaRed

I am not blaming Ronaldo for our predicament as the club is a mess generally. However, I sincerely hope this is the end of the era when we are a big budget version of Sam Allardyce’s geriatricos at Bolton. If not, we’ll be signing Benzema or Lewandowski in 2-3 years.

TheRedDevil2019

Deserves better. 18 goals in this team of rubbish. Imagine if we actually played good football, CR7 would be pushing on for 30 goals at least.

Mmm-Qatarian

Ronaldo is far from being the problem with this side but at this stage I think it's becoming fairly apparent that signing him was indeed not a very sensible decision.

To make my case as cast-iron as I possibly can, I shall henceforth accept the lowest estimate of Ronaldo's weekly wage as accurate. This puts his earnings at around £480k per week, which translates to around £25 million per year. If we assume he will see out his two year contract at the club, which I think is a fairly reasonable assumption right now despite some fans' doubts, we can half his £13 million transfer fee to give a per season cost of about £31.5 million.

Now, whilst I'd like to reiterate at this stage that I don't think the regression in the team's performance level this season can be squarely placed at the feet of Ronaldo, I equally find the idea that he's added £31.5 million in value to the side to be somewhat risible. As a result of this, I'd say that the absolute bare minimum we'd be requiring from an aged Cristiano Ronaldo next season would be around £35 million in added value to make the transfer worthwhile (and this is being extremely generous in my view). To put it nicely, I'd say this is a fairly precarious prospect.

At this stage of his career, Ronaldo's usefulness is pretty well limited to the poacher role. He shows the occasional moment of good link-up play here and there, but the list of strikers across Europe's top five leagues whose link-up play is better than his is at this stage not all that short. His strengths are in the timing of his movement in the final third, and particularly in the box, to create goalscoring opportunities, as well as his exceptional jumping reach and heading ability. This is frankly not very useful for a side that struggles in the build-up phase. I also don't imagine it will be particularly convenient for Erik ten Hag should be be appointed our next manager, since his strikers at Ajax have seemingly all been considerably more apt at contributing to the build-up phase than Ronaldo currently is.

When all is said and done, I just think Ronaldo is at this point destined to go down as a signing made by a club that was once again blinded by the starlight. In a bid to satisfy the nostalgic yearnings of the fanbase and pacify those who despaired at the thought of seeing him in a City shirt, the club has probably blundered into wasting about £63 million on a player who will only be with us for two seasons and is not likely to bring about an major improvement in the team across either of them.

bakalhau

Ronaldo is far from being the problem with this side but at this stage I think it's becoming fairly apparent that signing him was indeed not a very sensible decision.

To make my case as cast-iron as I possibly can, I shall henceforth accept the lowest estimate of Ronaldo's weekly wage as accurate. This puts his earnings at around £480k per week, which translates to around £25 million per year. If we assume he will see out his two year contract at the club, which I think is a fairly reasonable assumption right now despite some fans' doubts, we can half his £13 million transfer fee to give a per season cost of about £31.5 million.

Now, whilst I'd like to reiterate at this stage that I don't think the regression in the team's performance level this season can be squarely placed at the feet of Ronaldo, I equally find the idea that he's added £31.5 million in value to the side to be somewhat risible. As a result of this, I'd say that the absolute bare minimum we'd be requiring from an aged Cristiano Ronaldo next season would be around £35 million in added value to make the transfer worthwhile (and this is being extremely generous in my view). To put it nicely, I'd say this is a fairly precarious prospect.

At this stage of his career, Ronaldo's usefulness is pretty well limited to the poacher role. He shows the occasional moment of good link-up play here and there, but the list of strikers across Europe's top five leagues whose link-up play is better than his is at this stage not all that short. His strengths are in the timing of his movement in the final third, and particularly in the box, to create goalscoring opportunities, as well as his exceptional jumping reach and heading ability. This is frankly not very useful for a side that struggles in the build-up phase. I also don't imagine it will be particularly convenient for Erik ten Hag should be be appointed our next manager, since his strikers at Ajax have seemingly all been considerably more apt at contributing to the build-up phase than Ronaldo currently is.

[...]
Edit: sorry for the wall of text...

Good post in my overall. Don't fully agree, but mostly agree and most of all I commend the level headed and quality post from you, we need more of that here.

One of my secret wishes is that Ronaldo would lower his wages. If I could catch 1 minute to give him any possible suggestion for his career right now that's what I would say to him, not that I know any better than him. It would be an incredible move and a win win for him, unfortunately I don't think he'd ever do it and of course he loves money, who doesn't?, but mostly I fully believe after 20 years of watching and hearing the guy, he craves recognition for his hard work day in day out, more than anything else in football, and obviously part of our view as employees is we need to feel our wage is appropriate to whatever feel we represent to a company. I think he'd be too afraid to lower wages thinking he wouldn't be considered the same way after by his colleagues, or his coach, thinking he'd lose game time or something... But honestly, it would be a great move. Who wouldn't consider him a main player regardless of whether he gets payed 5k or 1M a month? Regardless of whether any coach would send him out for 35 games a season or 50? Fans would appreciate it hard, he'd liberate more money to build a better squad because he knows better than anyone else the team winning trophies would only help his cause, and surely no coach would respect or count on him less just because of a monetary value. I don't think he'd ever do it but he'd have so much to gain if he did.

Agreed with the link up part too, he's got some good link up play still, just in less areas and just not as consistent as early years, and the team does not create dynamics that are warming to whatever good he has left in his link up play either, like his one touch passing which is just incredible still at his age, and severely underutilised to try and triangulate through defense lines, or to have him be the middleman in a counter attack instead of just the finishing man.

In the other spectrum, Ronaldo doesn't seem to be good at his age with his back against the goal on the receiving end of a pass, in example, and as I've watched more games I kinda have to give in that probably isn't helping the teammates pushing forward or to try and make more creative movements through defensive lines.

The more I watch United the more I think it really is a case of a bad fit for both. I don't think anyone at this point is gonna move me from believing he's still probably top 3 in terms of finishing and/or goalscorer... I mean, his goals this season aren't just ordinary, he has the most goals and honest to god the most impressive goals (individual) out of the good ones we saw this season. He's gotten something like 15 match winning, leading, or tying goals. More than the finishing, just watch his momevent, anticipation, seriously, he's unbelievable at that because those are timeless things. Even today he had 3 situations where he ditched a CB in a dangerous situation, the ball didn't get to him but, he's just lethal still in so many ways. No one can't make me not believe me a player like that isn't an asset to any team in the world. Maybe not playing always, yes. Managed another way, yeah. But he's still got it to be an asset to a team, maybe not a superstar, but still an asset.

And for United I mean... If we take a close took at the macro level, and micro level, there's just so many things wrong with the team. So many... Watching other teams attack it's like night and day. And in that regard maybe Ronaldo just isn't the kind of player that can make a true difference for United, or maybe another kind of player there instead of him would suit the team better, even if said player scored less goals. Maybe a completely different system with really a lot of different players with a rebuild and maybe fresh ideas coming along, maybe United aren't really able to use Ronaldo to his strengths, and that's not a dig to United, it's just a lot of things don't work and yeah, maybe it is that something different up front would help the team more, and that he won't be able to provide different things than what he currently does in the future.

Look I was super happy when Ronnie signed for you guys, I thought he fitted perfectly for City but honest to god it just would have felt wrong if he had actually done it. I love United since I was 9 years (1990) and Ronaldo well, I might love him just as much, but it was always obvious this signing was very emotional, Ferguson, Ferdinand all had a say in it, called him, and as a company or a football club which is supposed to be run seriously, in a rational way, you don't wanna make big emotional decisions...

So here we are. From my heart, I'd reaally want him to stay and try and win something with us. Would be just amazing for me if him and United won some trophies together again.

IhabX7

All this “deserves better” notion is a ridiculous detour from what really matters, which is the team.

I definitely don’t think he’s a problem and that he’s still a world class player that cares about winning a much as anyone. If he wants to stay and the next manager wants him, I’d be very happy. If he doesn’t, good luck to him wherever he goes.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He should leave unless we markedly improve our midfield, he's no longer his dynamic self from the last time he was here (obviously) but he still has a lot to offer but for now he will fluctuate a lot like most of team he plays with.

MrEleson

Question: In a hypothetical world where City poaches Ronaldo next season if he leaves, would the people who want him gone be angry?

and I’m not saying he’s going to City. I know it’s very unlikely. I just want to know the thought process in this thread at the moment.

Strats

Would have had 5-10 more goals this season in a proper team. He’s not the biggest problem we have

Pat Cat

What a non-incident.
Here we go again with a nothing story :lol:
What? How is a grown man venting his frustrations by breaking the property of a literal child a nothing story? He's absolutely pathetic and petulant.

Absolutely awful human and almost as bad a footballer these days, any team with him in it can get fecked as far as I'm concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.