How did they massively rebuild when the team's main stars are still Benzema and Modric 4 years older? Kroos, Casemiro, Carvajal, Nacho all played in the 2018 final and were present against City just 2 days ago in the staring 11, that's 6 out of 11 players. This is a weakened side without legendary Ramos, prime Marcelo & Varane, yet they still made it to the final..
If anything, that shows that Real he was playing was one of the greatest teams ever assembled with or without him.. and Real's traditional magic in the CL helped his legacy more than anything.
To be fair they have change their squad alot over the past 4 years, with some of best young talents, and this year they are starting to reap the benefits. They have also made some good recruitments over the past few years too, who went on became their key player this season. Apparently this is a very different team to the one who had won them 4 CL, with many new changes, so lets give them some credits to their rebuild.
- bought for 46m as 17 year old (2nd most expensive player from Brazil, only behind Neymar)
- 18 goals 15 assist this season, their 2nd best player, I am really impressed with him this season
- very talented young midfielder bought from Rennes last summer, our top summer midfield target, we really miss him big time
- only 18 years old, already played 32 games this season
- another young talent midfielder who has come to age this season
- Uruguay international, only 23 years old, but already got 39 caps
- already played 37 games this season, their new midfield engine
- Chelsea no.1 keeper, won golden glove, cost 31.5m
- their first team keeper
- Bayern key player for years, had won everything at club level, including 2 CL
- 1st choice CB this season
- Brazil international, cost 50m
- 1st choice CB this season
- bought for 53m as left back, French international
- their first choice LB this season
- another talented young attacker who has shine this season in CL, cost them 40m
- played 44 games this season, 5 goals 2 assist in CL
Sure no way they are near to the level when they won 4 CL in 5 years with Ronaldo, Ramos, Varane and peak Marcelo. But you need to also appreciate the fact that they have managed to add 8 new additions to their first team during all this time, who has been performing well and become their key players this season (won La Liga, and performing well against the likes of PSG, Chelsea and City this season). Not to mention they have peak Benzema this season who is in Ballon D'or winning form, its like having 9 new additions to their first team, its has been a big rebuild for them with success.
Benzema this season:
20-21: 41 goals 13 assists
Benzema in his previous CL winning years:
13-14: 22 goals 14 assists
15-16: 28 goals 7 assists
16-17: 16 goals 5 assists
17-18: 10 goals 11 assists
Carvajal/Vazquez-------------- Milito--------Alaba--------------- Mendy
Modric/Valverde ---Casmeiro ---Kroos/Camavinga
Rodrygo/Asensio -----------Benzema---------------- Viniculus
In another 1-2 years time when Modric, Kroos retiring, and with addition of Mbappe perhaps, this will look like a totally different team.