5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

The first red flag about his signing was when Ole claimed he see him now as purely a no. 9.

Ronaldo during his whole career excelled while playing with a hard-working forward e.g. Rooney and Benzema. The only one who fits this description at the club is an injury-prone Cavani who still lacks in the link-up play department. If you want to play him with Ronaldo though, you'll need to sacrifice three of Sancho, Greenwood, Martial, and Rashford every game which is impossible.

We shot ourselves in the foot with this signing and there's basically no way to get Ronaldo to perform relatively at his best while making the team better and keeping the other players happy.

Josh 76

The Ronaldo signing is one step forward and two back for this club.

Devil may care

It was a very poor effort from Sancho and he should have done better but it was a very difficult position to score from.
A player of Sancho's quality should score that though, and I think if he'd already scored for us and was in his best form he would have, but he snatched at it, had a good 30 minutes overall though.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Cavani Bruno Fred McT actually press. The extra player forward fighting is a big plus. Otherwise we aren’t forcing these average defenders into any mistakes. They are in their comfort zone with ball lumped into the box and predictable buildup around the sides. Just clog up the middle. We are missing a serious trick ignoring the press so often.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't get what you mean by this. I get its a baseball analogy, but how does that translate to football? Its not like we can stop the game and bring him on just to finish off a chance.
I actually never realized it's baseball terminology :lol:

It means someone to bring on when you can't get a goal the conventional ay and just go all out. A last resort and stuff. Like Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink.

Sviken

I've said it before. Ronaldo is not a pure lone striker. He is more of an inverted winger who drifts to the middle to get into goalscoring positions. Ole has zero clue on how to use him. At least watch some footage of him at Madrid, ffs. Cavani and Ronnie would be the perfect partnership to recreate the Benzema/Ronaldo one, but Ole... is simply Ole. He knows one thing and he just sticks with it no matter what.

Snoooked

Putting aside actual performance, I did like seeing him actually looking angry at not leading, and then showing urgency to try and do something. Real contrast to the rest of the team, who seem to be content with draws half the time. Need that mentality to rub off on the rest of them.
I agree, however how many of the other players reactions are followed by at least few cameras and replayed after other side's goals

steffyr2

Both him and Cavani were rubbish today. Martial, Sancho and especially Greenwood were a lot better.

My worry based on watching them together is that Greenwood isn't working well with Ronaldo. Seems to be under undue pressure to put crosses in, whereas in the first he was playing his natural game. Could be wrong and just an irrational fear.
Greenwood? I thought he came off in the second half -- just checked again to make sure he didn't. Seemed like nothing happened on his side. What happened?

Gottabekiddingme

Cavani Bruno Fred McT actually press. The extra player forward fighting is a big plus. Otherwise we aren’t forcing these average defenders into any mistakes. They are in their comfort zone with ball lumped into the box and predictable buildup around the sides. Just clog up the middle. We are missing a serious trick ignoring the press so often.
What's the surprise though? When Ronaldo developed into a winger in a 3-men attack, he's been routinely covered for by the likes of Park, Casemiro, Modric, Matuidi and so on who did the running for him when defending.

The only time Ronaldo played as a lone 9 was when Mourinho gave up on the possession game against Barcelona back in the early 2010s, so pressing wasn't required and Ronaldo only needed to counter attack.

Ole need to understand, and quick, that he can't play Ronaldo as a 9.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Oh yeah RONALDO's fault. Always the players fault. Sign Messi next and it'll be his fault too.

el3mel

Ronaldo's inability to run or dribble anymore is a problem no matter how you look into it. I know he's not young anymore but I'm really shocked at how static he has become. He doesn't run at all ? Impossible to play him as a lone striker. Our style of play will keep being shit.

Play him alongside Cavani or even Rashford when he returns as double strikers in a diamond formation or something. Otherwise Cavani has to be our main number 9.

bondsname

I like to see that. That mentality is what made Ronaldo what he is today, he lost, got pissed off, and he improved himself so it wouldn’t happen again.

It certainly beats seeing the players hugging each other and trading shirts after a disappointing result.

Bobski

Ronaldo's inability to run or dribble anymore is a problem no matter how you look into it. I know he's not young anymore but I'm really shocked at how static he has become. He doesn't run at all ? Impossible to play him as a lone striker. Our style of play will keep being shit.

Play him alongside Cavani or even Rashford when he returns as double strikers in a diamond formation or something. Otherwise Cavani has to be our main number 9.
Yes, and for those who say he should play his Madrid role of a free LF, he doesn't have the legs for that anymore. Would have to be 3 midfielders to make up for the space it would leave, so forget about Bruno pushed on.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I've said it before. Ronaldo is not a pure lone striker. He is more of an inverted winger who drifts to the middle to get into goalscoring positions. Ole has zero clue on how to use him. At least watch some footage of him at Madrid, ffs. Cavani and Ronnie would be the perfect partnership to recreate the Benzema/Ronaldo one, but Ole... is simply Ole. He knows one thing and he just sticks with it no matter what.
He's not the same player he was in Madrid though. He's still an elite finisher but can't dribble anymore and United doesn't have a Benzema to set him up. He's still in an amazing shape but he's now really "stiff". It's very hard for United to be balanced with him as a left winger unless you have a good defensive midffielder covering for him or play him as a second striker (even if I don't think it would work great with Cavani, maybe Greenwood?).

Josh 76

I saw this at the Euros and actually said he will make City a worse team (before Utd came in for him). So many fans have got blinded by Ronaldo the brand and completely over looked how the team performs with Ronaldo. His last club realised this.

The Hilton

I actually never realized it's baseball terminology :lol:

It means someone to bring on when you can't get a goal the conventional ay and just go all out. A last resort and stuff. Like Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink.
So a super sub effectively? In the mould of Ole?

Personally I don't think he offers enough energy from the bench when we're chasing a game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So a super sub effectively? In the mould of Ole?

Personally I don't think he offers enough energy from the bench when we're chasing a game.
Also think he would never accept it honestly. Which is also part of his strength of course.

The United

I mean we have legit concerns for Ronaldo.

But, people are going crazy right now. When he came on along with others, we created more chances.... Even 2008 Ronaldo would struggle in this team.

None of his faults costed us points or goals today.

red4ever 79

I like to see that. That mentality is what made Ronaldo what he is today, he lost, got pissed off, and he improved himself so it wouldn’t happen again.

It certainly beats seeing the players hugging each other and trading shirts after a disappointing result.
Ole came in 20 mins later apparantely laughing and joking getting a piggy back from Phelan.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
thought he should have been a it more on his toes on a few occasions. the cross from bruno in the 2nd half he should have been sliding in

KeanoMagicHat

I mean we have legit concerns for Ronaldo.

But, people are going crazy right now. When he came on along with others, we created more chances.... Even 2008 Ronaldo would struggle in this team.

None of his faults costed us points or goals today.
2008 Ronaldo would have United top of the league, it's a shadow of that player.

Sviken

2008 Ronaldo would have United top of the league, it's a shadow of that player.
2008 Ronaldo played with Berba, Tevez, Rooney, Carrick and Scholes in a free flow attacking football. Current Ronaldo is playin with McFred and Ole's whatever football.

MrEleson

Ronaldo almost scored one and set up another in the half hour he was on the pitch. The problem is the same problem as Lukaku has at Chelsea: when they don't ultimately score or assist, they haven't contributed.

Contrast that with Cavani who always contributes regardless of if he has a direct goal involvement or not. His hold up play, movement, work rate and willingness to link play are invaluable and if Ronaldo starts it has to be alongside Cavani rather than instead of him.
This is what I said before he came. He needs a Benzema, a Mandzukic or a Morata by his side. He ain’t a pure striker.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
2008 Ronaldo played with Berba, Tevez, Rooney, Carrick and Scholes in a free flow attacking football. Current Ronaldo is playin with McFred and Ole's whatever football.
He was 13 years younger and not the same player he was all those years back. There's too much romanticism and excusing Ronaldo for inept performances.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Ole was wrong again with his substitutions. Cavani looked very decent.
Don't think he was taken off because of his performance. Not played much lately. Just protecting him I think.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I've been an Ole supporter but it's with him that the general lack of cohesive play lies and not Ronaldo. Simply put, Ronaldo is a finisher and we are not giving him anything to finish. Despite not playing well, his goal return is still good.

Take for example, Wan Bissaka's cross in the first half, he probably would have buried that.

snk123

It’s like a weird parallel between Greenwood being the Ronaldo as the superstar-in-the-making winger he was back in the 2000s and Ronaldo being the poacher van Nistelrooy. Honestly if I was Greenwood I wouldn’t like playing with Ronaldo at all. Probably how Cristiano didn’t like playing with Ruud
Actually some very good parallels here.
:lol: Yes! It was just reminding me of that!
This is so true.

Edit: didn't watch today's game though.
Ronaldo is one of if not the best player to play this game. Comparing him to Ruud is stupid. Comparing our golden era to this current side that can not make 2 clear cut chances and hasn't won a title in 10 years is stupid as well.

Absolutely nothing is different in Greenwood's game. If anything, he was less selfish today - maybe because of Ronaldo which was much better to see.

bakalhau

People are buying into the "Ronaldo affects the attack" narrative that was built in his time at Juve
Eh, at this point in time I just think the standard by which he is judged is just completely different to any other striker in the world. Any other player being top Serie A coming on board and scoring 5 in 5 and people would be raving about him.

Ronaldo was just like he is today in RM in 2017-2018 and they won 2 CLs still with him playing the same and having the same technical ability as today. By that time he was a goalscorer already.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Don't think he was taken off because of his performance. Not played much lately. Just protecting him I think.
Hey buddy

There are no games for a few weeks.

I was a few rows behind the subs bench. He was disappointed being subbed and looked pretty fit and full of energy prior to being taken off.

snk123

People are buying into the "Ronaldo affects the attack" narrative that was built in his time at Juve
The usual suspects at that.
It's like they can't see that we aren't even creating anything for any forward. When Martial plays as a #9 - it's his fault. When Ronaldo plays , it's his. Cavani was absolutely shit today as well. Where are the chances that our #9 has to finish?

Real Name

Calling him a bad buy is kneejerk if I ever saw one. We need to play to his strengths and use him properly which we aren't doing.

Real Name

The usual suspects at that.
It's like they can't see that we aren't even creating anything for any forward. When Martial plays as a #9 - it's his fault. When Ronaldo plays , it's his. Cavani was absolutely shit today as well. Where are the chances that our #9 has to finish?
Cavani wasnt shit, let alone absolutely.

snk123

Cavani wasnt shit, let alone absolutely.
Apparently misplaced passes, no hold up play, missing the only clear cut chance is not a criteria for being shit. I love Cavani but he was extremely poor today.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ronaldo is one of if not the best player to play this game. Comparing him to Ruud is stupid. Comparing our golden era to this current side that can not make 2 clear cut chances and hasn't won a title in 10 years is stupid as well.

Absolutely nothing is different in Greenwood's game. If anything, he was less selfish today - maybe because of Ronaldo which was much better to see.
Not really. Your inability to understand that it wasn't a comparison of footballers but relationship on the football pitch days everything about your comprehension. And nothing with wrong with comparing those two either. Ronaldo of today offers far less aside from goals than RVN did for us and nobody cares about what either player did for RM

Status
Not open for further replies.