5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

steffyr2

Every player gets a shouting at in the performance thread except Ronaldo - simply because he scores the goals.

Today he didn't score the goals and when he didn't do that - his rest of gameplay isnt good enough either.

He scores the goals but we are weaker as a team because we are very reliant on one player to get the goals much more than ever.

The way that Ronaldo needs to receive the ball to score a goal is different to how Rashford, Greenwood or even Sancho or Martial needs to score a goal.

Whipping crosses, wonderful volleys with his eyes closed - only really Ronaldo can do it; can Rashford,Greenwood or Sancho score Ronaldo's goal vs Tottenham? I don't think so - not as regularly as The GOAT can do it. We have changed the way we play so that Ronaldo is our main goalscorer to the point he is our only goalscorer.

I still believe it, its like playing a jeep upfront with a bunch of cars but ultimately that's the average managers management.

Everyone on the pitch was poor today except De Gea.

I love his goals and his last minute one's.

Let's see if we find a manager who can balance Ronaldo in the middle with Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho because that sounds easier said on paper than it does in reality.

Ps look at the Messi Vs Ronaldo thread to see how much I love the guy, I still belive tactically it can be a problem.
You're back! Must be one of the games where Ronaldo doesn't score.
Mason Greenwood played today. I know you were probably questioning that at some point, as I was, but he did really play.
Mason had a good chance to score on the rebound of a Ronaldo shot, but wasn't quick enough or precise enough and flubbed it badly.
I think he took another shot from about 50 yards back that slowly rolled wide.
Anyway he was there.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
He isn't a player for a top team now, City dodged a bullet.
I don't know if he isn't a player for any top team but he's certainly not a player for City, they're pressing with 10 players and that's part of one makes them so good, having Ronaldo would totally mess up with their tactics.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
You're back! Must be one of the games where Ronaldo doesn't score.
Mason Greenwood played today. I know you were probably questioning that at some point, as I was, but he did really play.
Mason had a good chance to score on the rebound of a Ronaldo shot, but wasn't quick enough or precise enough and flubbed it badly.
I think he took another shot from about 50 yards back that slowly rolled wide.
Anyway he was there.
Exactly! Did you miss me?

People blame Greenwood's performance but not really Ronaldo's when they were both strikers both needing assistance.

The way Greenwood needs assistance is different to Ronaldo's because they are two different strikers aswell and they ultimately got none of it and yet Greenwood gets blame but not Ronaldo.

I do find that a bit weird.

Idxomer

I don't know if he isn't a player for any top team but he's certainly not a player for City, they're pressing with 10 players and that's part of one makes them so good, having Ronaldo would totally mess up with their tactics.
Absolutely, anyone who thinks he could do the role Jesus did today is delusional.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You could play peak Pele in that lineup today and we'd have not scored.

We barely had the ball for goodness sake.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The difference is Pep is a top coach and Ole possibly isn't even a coach at all.
Pep would find a way to maximise with Ronaldo in there, which is why they were gutted not to get him, despite all the subsequent PR.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Are people questioning Ronaldo? Take away his goals this year and see where we are and then ask what the problem is again.
Clowns will be on here doing the same all season, then disappearing as his goal tally increases to our highest striker tally in a decade.
Clearly games like this where we're dreadfully outclassed aren't any sort of game to judge him on.

steffyr2

Exactly! Did you miss me?

People blame Greenwood's performance but not really Ronaldo's when they were both strikers both needing assistance.

The way Greenwood needs assistance is different to Ronaldo's because they are two different strikers aswell and they ultimately got none of it and yet Greenwood gets blame but not Ronaldo.

I do find that a bit weird.
I tend to skip your posts -- too long and repetitive -- but I did read the last one and this one.

Ronaldo was present in the game today, Greenwood was really hard to spot.

I've said elsewhere that Ole is going to ruin the academy players and Greenwood was one of the ones I was thinking of. Ronaldo knows what needs to be done -- you can see him directing play and moving into spots where someone needs to be. Greenwood isn't doing that. Really he shouldn't have to do that, someone should be telling him what he has to do and they're apparently not. But Ronaldo is a good player even if he doesn't score or assist, Greenwood not so much.

Righteous Steps

The difference is Pep is a top coach and Ole possibly isn't even a coach at all.
Pep would find a way to maximise with Ronaldo in there, which is why they were gutted not to get him, despite all the subsequent PR.
The way would go against his whole team ethos and imbalance his first 11 sort of like Ibra at Barcelona.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I highly doubt Pep was gutted because he didn't get Ronaldo, he would have needed to change everything he has built at City just for him, i'm not convinced he really liked the idea.
Ronaldo was on the market at least 2 weeks before he joined United, if City REALLY wanted him it would have been locked far before United decided to make the move. He wasn't expensive for City, he was just a Kane alternative.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The way would go against his whole team ethos and imbalance his first 11 sort of like Ibra at Barcelona.
They will miss out when it comes to the big moments through having no striker. It's already cost them a few times this season, and inevitably it eventually costs them in Europe.

This is why Kane, who is hardly a pressing machine, Messi and Ronaldo were in his thoughts this summer, and didn't get any.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why would they? Liverpool already have a Salah who will score 50 goals while also work hard and they’re not guarantee for CL
City are a better team than Liverpool but lack an actual world class goalscorer. Put Salah/Ronaldo/Haaland/Lewandowski there and it'd be the same thing. Ok not a guarantee, but far bigger favourites. And Ronaldo above all those is the ultimate big moment player in world football, especially in the CL, so it'd probably happen more so than if one of the others were there.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Still not a centre forward.
If he's not a CF Ruud van Nistelrooy isn't one either. Bizarre statement to make after a game where we didn't get out of our own half.
What do you expect of him, to play in an offside position?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The problem with Ibra was they had Messi, so they couldn't have a 2nd guy not do much defensively and be a focal point in attack. At City they don't have a focal point in attack. Ronaldo would make a world of difference there.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I tend to skip your posts -- too long and repetitive -- but I did read the last one and this one.

Ronaldo was present in the game today, Greenwood was really hard to spot.

I've said elsewhere that Ole is going to ruin the academy players and Greenwood was one of the ones I was thinking of. Ronaldo knows what needs to be done -- you can see him directing play and moving into spots where someone needs to be. Greenwood isn't doing that. Really he shouldn't have to do that, someone should be telling him what he has to do and they're apparently not. But Ronaldo is a good player even if he doesn't score or assist, Greenwood not so much.
How did you find Ronaldo's offside run on to Wan Bissaka's inverted fullback run and pass?

Miss timed his run but he doesn make those runs and score those goals anymore - I think he did on his first or 2nd match here.

The other goals are absolutely wonderful volleys and poachers instinct goals- but building a team towards that whilst utilising Greenwood and Rashford and Sancho is difficult.

Our creative game this season is much more about high level crosses like the one we saw vs Spurs.

Did we do that when Martial was our striker? When Rashford and Greenwood were our inverted forwards?

Again - I value his goals, always have and always will; but the people that think that Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho is a well blended machine with potential is going to have to convince me how that's going to happen.

You can't have Lindelof passing balls to Rashford's first goal post injury when Ronaldo can't do that anymore. You can't have Bruno Fernandes whipping crosses like he did vs Spurs when Rashford and Greenwood can't head the ball never mind volley the ball to the standard of C Ronaldo.

I'm not sitting here angry at Ronaldo- because again I value his goals and he is my favourite player on GOAT levels - but I'm sitting here open minded that he can cause a tactical imbalance - that I still have not been unconvinced by just because he scores important wonderful goals - because ultimately that is who he is now. The main and most likely goalscorer of United.

The United that used to have Bruno, Greenwood, Rashford, Cavani, Martial sharing goals across their line isn't happening anymore - the goals are primarily coming from C Ronaldo. The way we play has changed to accommodate that.

Anyway, talking about C Ronaldo hurts people's feelings.

Every single player got some hate today on player performances. Every single player.

People came here after the match and started polishing up Ronaldo's performance which was poor as every single other player. There is no it's but's or could have's - it ultimately did not happen.

OleksUsykUD

Bro you should get a life. This is straight up hating. The same thing i was talking in the Messi vs Ronaldo thread. He may score 10 goals in a row, and his haters are in the bin, the moment he didn't score in 1 game, and they are all over him, blaming him for everything. This is really low.

I don't see how Ronaldo is the problem, when we can't create a single good attack, damn we don't know how. If there is no balls to the strikers, how are they going to do anything?

With Ole we don't have style, and it's all up to individual player skills. No one knows how the ball need to be moved and how to create a decent attack.

And if you actually have an eye, Ronaldo was running and pressing quite a lot, but no sense to do it, when he is the only one doing it in the front line.
And Ole still didn't get how to use Ronaldo the right way. The guy is terrible.

Righteous Steps

The problem with Ibra was they had Messi, so they couldn't have a 2nd guy not do much defensively and be a focal point in attack. At City they don't have a focal point in attack. Ronaldo would make a world of difference there.
But the system is not the same if everyone but one player can press. You literally have to be Ronaldo or Messi of 2013 to justify not doing so which no current player including the aforementioned currently are.

Righteous Steps

City are a better team than Liverpool but lack an actual world class goalscorer. Put Salah/Ronaldo/Haaland/Lewandowski there and it'd be the same thing. Ok not a guarantee, but far bigger favourites. And Ronaldo above all those is the ultimate big moment player in world football, especially in the CL, so it'd probably happen more so than if one of the others were there.
Yes but Liverpool and Bayern already have world class goalscorers who already work hard for the team, City might be less of a team with a goal scoring number 9 who can’t drop deep link up play, act as a foil for others and pressure opposing defenders. They’ve already had this issue with Aguero of yesteryear, he was a great goal scorer but didn’t play till he could buy into Guardiolas ethos, and even then they weren’t sweeping all the trophies. The likes of Salah Lewandowski Benzema Kane are much more than just goalscorers..

Righteous Steps

They will miss out when it comes to the big moments through having no striker. It's already cost them a few times this season, and inevitably it eventually costs them in Europe.

This is why Kane, who is hardly a pressing machine, Messi and Ronaldo were in his thoughts this summer, and didn't get any.
Kane over couple years ago was actually someone who did press a lot, this is why he worked so well under Poch, he pressed as well as score and created goals. Agree with your point City lack a ruthless edge but again Kane was their number one target for a reason as opposing to someone like Lukaku who also scores a lot of goals.

SonyaCross493

Our best attacking player by a mile today (though that isn't saying much) this result wasn't on his shoulders.. The only one who cares and shows some passion in this team when we are losing.. (I think he was the only player who got a yellow card which in a Derby sums up Manchester United players) That's why he should be the captain instead of Maguire who isn't a winner. Shame he's having to waste his last few years of his career carrying this shower of shite on his back.. weak players mentally. He's swimming with shite.

that volley he hit was beautiful.. wouldn't call it a chance because he created it himself.. great save by Edison.

one thing I've noticed is.. we don't put crosses into the box for Ronaldo. A few times today he was asking for the cross but the player with the ball passed it backwards with groans from the crowd instead of crossing into the box.. I don't know if that's coaching instructions but it's criminal not to put crosses into the box when you play with the GOAT CR7

Wan-Basaka also can't play wing-back.. lad can't cross a ball to save his life..

Bring on Watford in 2 weeks! maybe with a new manager who will actually play to Ronny's strengths and create chances for him! (he didn't get 1 decent chance whole game against City)

Also was impressed with how much Ronny pressed today.. he was on his knees by the end but he tried and cares unlike other Manchester United almost players half his age who don't seem to give a shite they just go home to there mansions and flash cars.. Like I said this result wasn't on his shoulders it's the shower of shite he's swimming in around him making Basic individual errors

Viva Ronaldo!

Last edited:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Right so all the time city were in for him they had no clue about his pressing or lack thereof.

shamans

Absolutely, anyone who thinks he could do the role Jesus did today is delusional.
Anyone who thinks having a poorer striker who presses more is better than a far more clinical striker who doesn't press doesn't have an iota of football tacitcal knowledge.

Let alone one of the best, most clinical, finishers in the world.

It's like worrying about fuel milage on your new Ferrari.

snk123

Right so all the time city were in for him they had no clue about his pressing or lack thereof.
Apparently City weren't even in for him according to some. They would rather believe the City PR spin than Pep actually coming out and saying that it is Ronaldo's decision where he wants to go.

steffyr2

How did you find Ronaldo's offside run on to Wan Bissaka's inverted fullback run and pass?

Miss timed his run but he doesn make those runs and score those goals anymore - I think he did on his first or 2nd match here.

The other goals are absolutely wonderful volleys and poachers instinct goals- but building a team towards that whilst utilising Greenwood and Rashford and Sancho is difficult.

Our creative game this season is much more about high level crosses like the one we saw vs Spurs.

Did we do that when Martial was our striker? When Rashford and Greenwood were our inverted forwards?

Again - I value his goals, always have and always will; but the people that think that Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho is a well blended machine with potential is going to have to convince me how that's going to happen.

You can't have Lindelof passing balls to Rashford's first goal post injury when Ronaldo can't do that anymore. You can't have Bruno Fernandes whipping crosses like he did vs Spurs when Rashford and Greenwood can't head the ball never mind volley the ball to the standard of C Ronaldo.

I'm not sitting here angry at Ronaldo- because again I value his goals and he is my favourite player on GOAT levels - but I'm sitting here open minded that he can cause a tactical imbalance - that I still have not been unconvinced by just because he scores important wonderful goals - because ultimately that is who he is now. The main and most likely goalscorer of United.

The United that used to have Bruno, Greenwood, Rashford, Cavani, Martial sharing goals across their line isn't happening anymore - the goals are primarily coming from C Ronaldo. The way we play has changed to accommodate that.

Anyway, talking about C Ronaldo hurts people's feelings.

Every single player got some hate today on player performances. Every single player.

People came here after the match and started polishing up Ronaldo's performance which was poor as every single other player. There is no it's but's or could have's - it ultimately did not happen.
Again too long. Didn't finish the post.

Ronaldo's offsides? There were alot of times where Ronaldo started to make a run assuming the ball would be passed to him and the pass never came or it came too late. [Once towards the end of the game, player on the left touch line, with the camera angle you can see Ronaldo darting forward and the player (don't remember who) is just standing there and watching with the ball at his foot.] So I think that a) the timing is off because the players are new to each other (what do they do at practice?), and b) some (most?) of the players would rather do the safe back pass or the nothing pass -- rather than try something daring. Except Bruno, who is so daring and inventive that he's sometimes scary.

Especially today.

ps -- we hardly ever try to cross the ball, and the crosses are usually bad when they happen. Again...what do they do at practice?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Apparently City weren't even in for him according to some. They would rather believe the City PR spin than Pep actually coming out and saying that it is Ronaldo's decision where he wants to go.
Yeah, and you're not at all believing the United PR spin. Ronaldo was offered to several club weeks before he joined United, if City wanted him that bad they would have signed him earlier, he was just a back up plan for Harry Kane, that's pretty obvious.

Righteous Steps

Anyone who thinks having a poorer striker who presses more is better than a far more clinical striker who doesn't press doesn't have an iota of football tacitcal knowledge.

Let alone one of the best, most clinical, finishers in the world.

It's like worrying about fuel milage on your new Ferrari.
You must be referring to Guardiola who was benching a clinical for Aguero for Jesus.

captaincantona

Stopped posting in here cause my opinions were seen as an agenda. I’m not Ronaldo’s biggest fan...love him for what he is...but I would have preferred if we had gotten a less sentimental and nostalgic manager in sooner who recognised what was being built towards.

Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Martial, Amad, Bruno, Shoretire, Hannibal, Elanga, VDB...clever, technical, young, eager, fluid, energetic...could be sculpted into the same type of attacking threat carried by any of the top clubs in Europe by the right coach. The quality is undoubtedly there. Ronaldo changes the course of that development. It means no matter which manager comes in, some of these guys (Amad, Shoretire, Sancho) will struggle you get a look in in their own positions due to the formation required to accommodate Ronaldo. The others will be shoehorned into a formation that brings the best out of Ronny. I just think the teams ceiling is higher long term without Ronaldo...and sacrificing the overall development of a high energy and fluid attacking unit which I believe those players could become in a few years is not worth spending the next two seasons watching Ronaldo dragging us to victory over semi decent teams.

Not blaming him for today or any other result for that matter. Happy for his unbelievable contribution goals wise so far. Just don’t think he should be the focal point of the team. GOAT or not.

Eddy_JukeZ

I bet he regrets joining us now.

Slot in Pele at his very best or Maradona and nothing would change in that game.

He looks more and more frustrated with each passing game of poor results.

Mickson

He will bag goals when we dominate games and create chances. He won't score a goal against Liverpool or City for example.

Giggs' right foot

I hope the reason he joined us over City was that he wouldn't taint his six years here and that he genuinely wanted to play here again. If he picked us because he had a faint belief in winning either CL or PL.... poor soul. Yes, he's earning a fortune, but my god this is even worse football than the Pirlo season he's just left. For the sake of his career, I hope he can regain some more success at his next club.

captaincantona

Atalanta. 3 days ago. You're wrong.
Jeez.
Atalanta aren’t a top side by any stretch. We don’t have the quality or the coach to dominate a top side or even to stand toe to toe with them. We will be out of possession for the majority of those games and therefore Ronaldo will be less effective...albeit that his ability means he doesn’t have to be effective to decide a game...he will just come up with something. Downside is we might be well out of the game before he does (ie. his goal against Liverpool)

Mickson

Atalanta. 3 days ago. You're wrong.
Jeez.
Atalanta is fifth in Serie A and in no way comparable or remotely close to being as good as Manchester City. Ronaldo won't score against City or Liverpool unless something drastic changes in our play or with a new manager.

steffyr2

Atalanta aren’t a top side by any stretch. We don’t have the quality or the coach to dominate a top side or even to stand toe to toe with them. We will be out of possession for the majority of those games and therefore Ronaldo will be less effective...albeit that his ability means he doesn’t have to be effective to decide a game...he will just come up with something. Downside is we might be well out of the game before he does (ie. his goal against Liverpool)
Atalanta is fifth in Serie A and in no way comparable or remotely close to being as good as Manchester City. Ronaldo won't score against City or Liverpool unless something drastic changes in our play or with a new manager.
OK, you're right. It's harder to score against better teams, even for Ronaldo.

shamans

You must be referring to Guardiola who was benching a clinical for Aguero for Jesus.
The difference between aguero and Jesus pales when compared to ronaldo. Its like dumping your accelerating bmw for a reliable Toyota.

Ronaldo is a Bugatti Veyron. Pep knew this which is why he was into him. You don't opt for a pressing striker when you have Ronaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.