5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sp_107

I wish he gone to PSG or America, EPL is not what he needs or he is the player we need right now

With Sancho / Rashford we need someone like Haaland + a decent DM along with a decent RB

Unusually poor finishing from him tonight. Any other day he scores a couple of those chances.

Maybe he's putting the lame horse out of his misery.

steffyr2

I wish he gone to PSG or America, EPL is not what he needs or he is the player we need right now

With Sancho / Rashford we need someone like Haaland + a decent DM along with a decent RB
Yeah, Mbappe would also be useful. Maybe Neymar as well!

Anyway, Ronaldo is going 37 yo and he seems to be playing every position but GK in the game. Ole, along with everything else he has trouble with, can't manage his minutes. Did we decide that the Tuesday game didn't mean anything?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I just hope that second half wasn’t a sign of things to come. Ronaldo usually gets us at least a point with those chances second half over the years. Still, we wouldn’t have even had a sniff without him. Cavani, in contrast, was again unavailable. Martial up top, anyone?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Love Cristiano but he could've had a hat trick today. If Martial misses those chances I am having a meltdown. Can't not apply the same measure to Ronaldo. Should have been 2-2 before Maguire's brainfart.
Because martial always misses them. Ronaldo wasn't clinical today.

KeanoMagicHat

There has been an absolute deterioration in the United team since he arrived, there’s no way to get around that. Paying him some of the biggest wages in the world for our team to get significantly worse.

Sylar

When he starts he needs Cavani too. Or somebody up front with him

It's a no brainer

I feel sorry for him as we've plumped him up top with no real help against the big teams. We know what he is, we are not using him as an asset and that falls on the manager

Rockets Redglare

There has been an absolute deterioration in the United team since he arrived, there’s no way to get around that. Paying him some of the biggest wages in the world for our team to get significantly worse.
So he’s to blame for the amount of goals we’re shipping and out non existent midfield?
He’s the reason we’re still in the champions league and the reason Ole still has a job.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
We've been shit since we signed him but its hard to put the blame on him.

Irwin99

The blame attributed to Ronaldo is something I just don't agree with. It wasn't exactly an all conquering team before he came: Second in the league miles behind City last year, and ahead of a broken Liverpool and a Chelsea in transition, losing an EL final to a Villareal team worth a quarter of what our squad is worth, often winning games when not playing well ('comeback FC'). Very lucky 3rd place finish in Ole's first season with a dire 66 points too.

The problems have been at this club for a long time now. Ronnie might have added a few more but it just seems silly to single him out as the sole difference. This collapse has long been overdue.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Why is he playing 90 minutes for international and club football at 36?

He is a physical beast, but i think he is overestimating his stamina, he is 36 (close to be 37), he shouldn't be playing 90 minutes for both club and national team.
He played 90 minutes against Ireland (didn't do much), and then 90 minutes against Serbia in just 2 days, looking very exhausted against serbian defenders in the second half.
He is being a victim of his own competitiveness, i feel he is forcing his body to play every game to score as much as possible, and this is having a negative impact due to his age.

I hope he is smart enough to rest before the WC qualification play-offs, which will be in March 2022. I don't think he wants to miss those crucial games for getting injured against the likes of Brentford,Norwich,Burnley,Leeds,etc

Gehrman

Ronaldo has the same minutes pr. goal as Joshua King atm in the PL.

RepardReece

The blame attributed to Ronaldo is something I just don't agree with. It wasn't exactly an all conquering team before he came: Second in the league miles behind City last year, and ahead of a broken Liverpool and a Chelsea in transition, losing an EL final to a Villareal team worth a quarter of what our squad is worth, often winning games when not playing well ('comeback FC'). Very lucky 3rd place finish in Ole's first season with a dire 66 points too.

The problems have been at this club for a long time now. Ronnie might have added a few more but it just seems silly to single him out as the sole difference. This collapse has long been overdue.
That sums what I've been trying to say in this thread for a while. Good Post and absolutely correct.

KeanoMagicHat

We've been shit since we signed him but its hard to put the blame on him.

He’s not the sole problem. But he is one of the best paid players in the world who was brought in to turn United from top 4 team to title challenger. Instead since he’s arrived United have looked like a mid-table team. United’s wages are up 23% this season. It’s a dangerous route to go down. Juve were not unhappy to get rid. It’s a big burden financially, he has to be helping your team win games.

Juventus finish 4th in Serie A and go out to Porto in CL. Portugal have a poor Euros and then miss out on World Cup automatics. United play terribly. Ronaldo plays almost every game for all these teams. A useful player individually but not worthy of the massive wages and impact on other players in the team and team performance.

captaincantona

No one is blaming Ronaldo personally so engage with the points being made against his inclusion in the starting 11 instead of blindly defending something that is not under attack. On average, he has done enough to justify his own presence in the team if you get me...but that is to say that he deserves to play in this very poor team...he has not improved us and to say that this capitulation was coming is bullshit...we were consistently shit for years and ground out results and lost and drew quite predictably during that time. The capitulation is a combination of many things but one of those is certainly Ronaldo playing as a lone striker or a wide forward...unless he plays in a front 2 the oppositions back line settle very quickly and make it almost impossible to dominate the game...

again, he is not to blame...he is doing exactly what you would expect of someone of his age and current skill set. The question is whether that is the direction we should headed in...building around? Because if he plays...you need to build around him to reap the rewards...that is a fact.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Ronnie has a 18% conversion rate in the PL so far. Still early days. Only one worse is Greenwood with 15%.

Irwin99

No one is blaming Ronaldo personally so engage with the points being made against his inclusion in the starting 11 instead of blindly defending something that is not under attack. On average, he has done enough to justify his own presence in the team if you get me...but that is to say that he deserves to play in this very poor team...he has not improved us and to say that this capitulation was coming is bullshit...we were consistently shit for years and ground out results and lost and drew quite predictably during that time. The capitulation is a combination of many things but one of those is certainly Ronaldo playing as a lone striker or a wide forward...unless he plays in a front 2 the oppositions back line settle very quickly and make it almost impossible to dominate the game...

again, he is not to blame...he is doing exactly what you would expect of someone of his age and current skill set. The question is whether that is the direction we should headed in...building around? Because if he plays...you need to build around him to reap the rewards...that is a fact.
Someone posted there has been an "absolute deterioration" since he came into the team which does suggest a strong correlation between his arrival and our current dire situation which seems wrong to me, hence why i defended his performances. We scavenged an undeserved win against Wolves and a point at Southampton before he even entered the side so it's not as if we looking great before he came (look at the form at the end of last season too)

I do think that some correct points have been made about his age, his ability to press, and whether we should have signed him or not but as I've said, the narrative that we were this really great team that was going places before he came is one I just don't buy. The problems have been there for a long time. And yes I think we have flattered to deceive a lot under Ole sadly and as even Ole himself has pointed out there's been a crisis every season he's been manager. This capitulation was absolutely on the cards...it's just whether or not he could survive yet again by turning it around.

Eddy_JukeZ

We need his CL finishing in the Premier League.

Was stunned he missed that absolute sitter.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ronnie has a 18% conversion rate in the PL so far. Still early days. Only one worse is Greenwood with 15%.
Damn and 1 goal in 7. :eek:

And no pressing, passes, interlink play, no defensive dropping him, hardly can make a run behind the defence without being caught offside, can hardly stand central on the pitch because he likes attacking at an angle from the LW...

But 1 goal in 7. With a conversion rate like that. With United playing a style of football that aims to get the best out of him in the front line more than Greenwood, Rashford, Martial or Sancho.

Madness :eek:

Nordmore

You can see the difference when Martial was the #9 for a first few minutes in the second half. We played much better. If you watch the goal again you'd see Martial was able to keep the ball then passed to Sancho in a good position. That's what we've been missing this season, a #9 who can hold the ball and link with other attackers. Ronaldo usually pass straight back to the one who pass to him. Martial was also harrashing their defenders and caused them to be unsettled and Watford suddenly couldn't play as free flowing as they did in the first half. That's another thing we've been missing too.

Then after the goal he moved centrally again, it's actually a good decision as the Watford defenders was caught off allowing VDB, Martial, Sancho to provide him three, four very good chances. But he couldn't finish it. Especially the one from Martial, if he's just a bit quicker he'd had the chance to face Foster.

He'll be a tactical nightmare for the next manager.

Gehrman

He's still probably the best header of the ball in the world.

Bebestation

You can see the difference when Martial was the #9 for a first few minutes in the second half. We played much better. If you watch the goal again you'd see Martial was able to keep the ball then passed to Sancho in a good position. That's what we've been missing this season, a #9 who can hold the ball and link with other attackers. Ronaldo usually pass straight back to the one who pass to him. Martial was also harrashing their defenders and caused them to be unsettled and Watford suddenly couldn't play as free flowing as they did in the first half. That's another thing we've been missing too.

Then after the goal he moved centrally again, it's actually a good decision as the Watford defenders was caught off allowing VDB, Martial, Sancho to provide him three, four very good chances. But he couldn't finish it. Especially the one from Martial, if he's just a bit quicker he'd had the ckrhance to face Foster.

He'll be a tactical nightmare for the next manager.
Agree.

The other thing is not even that complicated. Martial plays much more centrally as a striker so he ultimately keeps the opposition central defenders busy. Even if the guy isn't pressing, his ability to receive the ball to feet and try link up play ultimately gets the CB'S concentrating on him, leaving space for the inverted forwards. This was the same with Cavani upfront but he had extra pressing ability. The position of these 2 are central strikers.

Ronaldo was never a central striker, he was a winger and this shows with how he plays the central striker position. First his positioning. I'm sure you noticed how many times he came and played as a LW yesterday even in the first half. Rashford and Sancho were then all over the place. He wants to receive the ball at this angle to score goals like he always did at his prime. But what exactly does this do to the opposition? Ronaldo is not someone who positions himself centrally, but he doesn't even press the CB'S. He is sometimes seen so deep and away from the CB'S.

Now what does a striker who isn't central, who isn't pressing do to the opposition? It gives them all the time and space for them to keep rotating the ball from their LB to their CB'S to their RB until they get the perfect opportunity to pass in to the midfield. Why is this so easy? Because Bruno realises Ronaldo is not pressing, is not even deep - goes to press to speed up the opposition making a decision with the ball and all it does is leave us playing a 424 - our front 3 that isn't central, that doesn't press has no got Bruno up trying to do it.

Then an easy pass takes on trying to overcome Matic and Mctominay - aka just 2 midfielders and they are suddenly directly vs our defensive line.

This is why Watford absolutely bossed us yesterday. Absolutely controlled the game. This is happening more than it ever did last season because every teams centre backs line have all the time in the world to do whatever they want and pick their passes because our striker is not even central blocking the lanes, nor does he even approach them for a press.

Every game. Liverpool, City, Watford, Atalanta, Leicester etc teams control the match vs us because we have players that allow them to do that. To stop it & accept it we have to create a low block team with not one of our players pressing. Then ultimately Ronaldo has turned this team to a low block team vs Watford.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that we played better when Martial was centre. It's like that game vs Everton when Cavani was our striker. Was Everton the team that controlled that game? Nope. We were controlling that game to ease and Everton went in to a low block like nearly every average team did to control our attack. Ronaldo got subbed on and Everton controlled the game after that and we were dead.

One simple question- what happened to the low block teams we struggled to create against all of last season :rolleyes: Oh yeah they just dissapeared and now every team we play are controlling the match and we are now the team that have to play low block to defend against it.

I got other videos and articles if your interested mate. If this Ronaldo had a different name with no history of United - he wouldn't be protected so much. No pressing, no positioning, no passing, no hold up play or interplay, 1 in 7 goals in the pl with a 17% conversion rate which is extremely low for a striker that has changed the way our team plays. Absolutely nothing except his goals and his goals are so reliant on his team mates who are on the back foot most of the game because the opposition are the team controlling the game with us this season with all the freedom and time at the back..due to Ronaldo. Glad you saw the difference Martial made. I'm sure you might have seen it with Cavani too.

Gehrman

For me part of the problem with Ronaldo is nostalgia. I was elated yesterday when he managed to beat a man, but then I wonder why I should be elated that our best paid forward manages to beat a man once in a while. If he's willing to a sub, I think he's good, but as someone mentioned he's a tactical headache. If we get a managet who can get us to dominate teams I'm sure he'll come good.

diawl_coch

For me part of the problem with Ronaldo is nostalgia. I was elated yesterday when he managed to beat a man, but then I wonder why I should be elated that our best paid forward manages to beat a man once in a while. If he's willing to a sub, I think he's good, but as someone mentioned he's a tactical headache. If we get a managet who can get us to dominate teams I'm sure he'll come good.
I don't think he will come good. Yes, use him as a super sub, but he isn't good enough to last a full game in PL. It's ruthless out there, and he is exposed.
MLS awaits.

Nordmore

Agree.

The other thing is not even that complicated. Martial plays much more centrally as a striker so he ultimately keeps the opposition central defenders busy. Even if the guy isn't pressing, his ability to receive the ball to feet and try link up play ultimately gets the CB'S concentrating on him, leaving space for the inverted forwards. This was the same with Cavani upfront but he had extra pressing ability. The position of these 2 are central strikers.

Ronaldo was never a central striker, he was a winger and this shows with how he plays the central striker position. First his positioning. I'm sure you noticed how many times he came and played as a LW yesterday even in the first half. Rashford and Sancho were then all over the place. He wants to receive the ball at this angle to score goals like he always did at his prime. But what exactly does this do to the opposition? Ronaldo is not someone who positions himself centrally, but he doesn't even press the CB'S. He is sometimes seen so deep and away from the CB'S.

Now what does a striker who isn't central, who isn't pressing do to the opposition? It gives them all the time and space for them to keep rotating the ball from their LB to their CB'S to their RB until they get the perfect opportunity to pass in to the midfield. Why is this so easy? Because Bruno realises Ronaldo is not pressing, is not even deep - goes to press to speed up the opposition making a decision with the ball and all it does is leave us playing a 424 - our front 3 that isn't central, that doesn't press has no got Bruno up trying to do it.

Then an easy pass takes on trying to overcome Matic and Mctominay - aka just 2 midfielders and they are suddenly directly vs our defensive line.

This is why Watford absolutely bossed us yesterday. Absolutely controlled the game. This is happening more than it ever did last season because every teams centre backs line have all the time in the world to do whatever they want and pick their passes because our striker is not even central blocking the lanes, nor does he even approach them for a press.

Every game. Liverpool, City, Watford, Atalanta, Leicester etc teams control the match vs us because we have players that allow them to do that. To stop it & accept it we have to create a low block team with not one of our players pressing. Then ultimately Ronaldo has turned this team to a low block team vs Watford.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that we played better when Martial was centre. It's like that game vs Everton when Cavani was our striker. Was Everton the team that controlled that game? Nope. We were controlling that game to ease and Everton went in to a low block like nearly every average team did to control our attack. Ronaldo got subbed on and Everton controlled the game after that and we were dead.

One simple question- what happened to the low block teams we struggled to create against all of last season :rolleyes: Oh yeah they just dissapeared and now every team we play are controlling the match and we are now the team that have to play low block to defend against it.

I got other videos and articles if your interested mate. If this Ronaldo had a different name with no history of United - he wouldn't be protected so much. No pressing, no positioning, no passing, no hold up play or interplay, 1 in 7 goals in the pl with a 17% conversion rate which is extremely low for a striker that has changed the way our team plays. Absolutely nothing except his goals and his goals are so reliant on his team mates who are on the back foot most of the game because the opposition are the team controlling the game with us this season with all the freedom and time at the back..due to Ronaldo. Glad you saw the difference Martial made. I'm sure you might have seen it with Cavani too.
Yeah I noticed the Everton match too.

Football has evolved and moved away from the days defenders only defend, the attacker only attack and score long long ago. A #9 now has to do lot of things beside scoring goals, that's why no team uses a pure poacher anymore. Liverpool and City are two strongest teams in the league but Jota and Jesus both have the highest pressing rates among the strikers in the PL.

One thing that I've been wondering for a while is why Ole insisting to play Ronaldo as a #9. It's obviously a bad decision. Zidane tried that for a few matches at Madrid and had to go straight back to Benzama as a #9 and Ronaldo as LW. Same with the decision to play him 90' every matches even after his international games given his age. Another obvious bad decision especially considering we have Cavani, Martial, Greenwood, Sancho all need to play too.

Reactions: Penna

Bebestation

Even In his prime Ronaldo couldn't play as a central striker by himself. Zidane tried this and it failed. Both the manager and the player needed Benzema. The thing is just because he scores a headed goal people think he can play as a central lone striker. There's more to a central striker than just a players ability to put the ball in the net. Why did he not do this in his prime then? Why did Zidane try it and find out it wasn't good enough?

The thing is - our next manager is going to either,

a) continue to play Ronaldo as a lone striker alongside inverted forwards (do you see how inverted forwards need a striker that can pass or keep the central defenders busy with their positioning and hold up play or interlink play to open up the spaces? Benzema, Messi, Firmino just to name a few)

B) or he is going to realise Ronaldo can only play alongside another Striker (like Zidane did) - play in a double striker partnership and have our inverted wingers on the bench because of this. Remember Sancho as a RWB talks?

C) or finally, Ronaldo has left the club due to not achieving top 4 and then the rest of the forward line can play with better cohesion. Or the manager comes in and tells Ronaldo to come off the bench or ditches him completely to get the same result from the inverted forwards like Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial and the proper central strikers who played their most of their career like Cavani. An example of this is Carlton Cole saying that Brendan Rodgers would ditch Ronaldo. I'm not saying I agree that Rodgers should be our manager - but highlights that professional footballers think Ronaldo is a problem too (not this bloody I have an obsession just because I talk about him crap the redcafe give because they are obsessed to protect the guy for the player he was than the player he is).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...ers-replaces-solskjaer-manchester-united-boss

Gehrman

Yeah I noticed the Everton match too.

Football has evolved and moved away from the days defenders only defend, the attacker only attack and score long long ago. A #9 now has to do lot of things beside scoring goals, that's why no team uses a pure poacher anymore. Liverpool and City are two strongest teams in the league but Jota and Jesus both have the highest pressing rates among the strikers in the PL.

One thing that I've been wondering for a while is why Ole insisting to play Ronaldo as a #9. It's obviously a bad decision. Zidane tried that for a few matches at Madrid and had to go straight back to Benzama as a #9 and Ronaldo as LW. Same with the decision to play him 90' every matches even after his international games given his age. Another obvious bad decision especially considering we have Cavani, Martial, Greenwood, Sancho all need to play too.
A supporting friend of mine told me that one of Ronaldo's requirements to join was to choose his own position, but I have no idea what media outlet he got that from. It's a bit weird if he doesn't want to play in his usual position which is a wide forward. Sarri wanted to play him as a false 9, but Ronaldo wouldn't do it.

Gehrman

I don't think he will come good. Yes, use him as a super sub, but he isn't good enough to last a full game in PL. It's ruthless out there, and he is exposed.
MLS awaits.
Depends. I don't think he should be the vocal point of the team. But our management has been a mess. Our midfield has been crap. Our defense woefull. He's here and I think he has a part to play, he just a far more limited player now.

Ralph1386

Unusually poor finishing from him tonight. Any other day he scores a couple of those chances.

Maybe he's putting the lame horse out of his misery.
I have this theory that maybe he realized yesterday he had to stop scoring for a new manager to come.

Bebestation

I have this theory that maybe he realized yesterday he had to stop scoring for a new manager to come.
To be honest it doesn't make sense because then why are people angry at Maguire for getting sent off? That's what caused the loss.

It looked like he did it on purpose aswell.

Ralph1386

Everyone judging Ronaldo on yesterday’s performance need to understand that most of the team (maybe not him) downed tools yesterday. Yesterday is not really a reference to go by.

Ralph1386

To be honest it doesn't make sense because then why are people angry at Maguire for getting sent off? That's what caused the loss.

It looked like he did it on purpose aswell.
Maybe Maguire did it in purpose as well. Maybe they all downed tools.

Ralph1386

According to Luckhurst, his agent Jorge Mendes sought assurances from the board after yesterday’s game that they would take decisive action regarding the managerial situation.

Gehrman

Everyone judging Ronaldo on yesterday’s performance need to understand that most of the team (maybe not him) downed tools yesterday. Yesterday is not really a reference to go by.
Don't buy it tbh.

jem

Agree.

I really liked your post and agreed with most of it but then you included those insufferable TIVO videos!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He shouldn't be dropping deep, he's not good at the link up play and far too easy to push off the ball. It's actually surprising how easy he goes down, he was always like that but now he just seems too weak and slow. Makes Cavani adaptation to premier league even more impressive.

LARulz

According to Luckhurst, his agent Jorge Mendes sought assurances from the board after yesterday’s game that they would take decisive action regarding the managerial situation.
Mendes must still be talking to the board to get it

James Peril

I wonder what people like you say if we get a professional manager and it all suddenly looks so much better. I bet you hide in a corner and don’t say anything, it’s usually the drill. The team is not worse because Ronaldo is there, does the Maguire blunder happen because of Ronaldo? Wake up and analyze properly, you know nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.