5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lj82

The bolded part is exactly how they think. You - for some reason - have to both score the goals AND be the world-class playmaker with nice stats in the pass accuracy, chance creation, and assists department. It's so tiresome and utterly unrealistic. A number nine scores goals - that's what they're there for.

Imagine a prime Ruud or Inzaghi today. They were superstars back in their day - all with a brain could see their class, yet today a tsunami of 13-year olds would be slating them in Twitter chain posts, over their lack of 40-yard-longshot goals and how they never dribble four in a row.
To be fair, a lot of people were saying the same shit about Ruud and Inzaghi back in the day. Social media probably just made it more pronounced.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He scored 5 goals against Bayern (coached by Pep), followed by 3 goals against Atletico and 2 vs Juve. Atletico and Juve have been the teams with the best defense in Europe during the last decade.

But, but, he didn't influence the games (which is pure bullshit, cause in that UCL season, he had many assists and put Benzema one on one with the keeper half a dozen of times). As in scoring 5 goals against a team is not influencing the game.

Only in the last 3 ties (so quarters, semis, and final) he scored 10 goals.

List of other players who have done so:

List of other players who have scored 10 or more goals in the entire KO stage:

List of other players who have scored 10 or more goals in an UCL season: Van Nistelrooy x2, Kaka, Messi x4, Neymar, Lewandowski, Haaland. Ronaldo has another 6 seasons when he managed that.

But long short story, in the final 5 matches of that season he scored 10 goals. That is unprecedented. No one else managed to do so. No other player managed to score more than 5 (Lewandowski is the only one who scored 5 in 12/13).

But, he was not influential enough!
I've always rate his 16-17 CL run as the best individual display in major tournament ever seen Maradona in 86 WC.

Maybe he didn't dribble 6-8 times a game like Maradona does in WC, but the way he impact the game scoring crucial goals after goals throughout the knockout stages against all those top teams with toughest defence, is truly unprecedented.

Adam_S

That's one of the things that excites me the most about having him back here. He's an absolute winner and was part of Alex Ferguson's last great Man Utd side. I really hope that some of that manages to rub off on the rest of the players while he's here.

You could feel it from the crowd today just watching the match too. Almost like the good old days.

Kopral Jono

That's one of the things that excites me the most about having him back here. He's an absolute winner and was part of Alex Ferguson's last great Man Utd side. I really hope that some of that manages to rub off on the rest of the players while he's here.

You could feel it from the crowd today just watching the match too. Almost like the good old days.
I just find it amazing how he, having won pretty much everything under the sun multiple times, still has the desire to win and win and win again. It is borderline addiction for him but a dream come true for us fans.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Yesterday was a great day. Juve got beaten by Napoli and Ronaldo made his debut.

I was certain that he'd do a cameo and maybe come from the bench around 70th min, but seeing him as a starter made me feel a bit cringy - like really, he starts? But Cavani was off so that was reasonable.

I felt that everything fell in place for him. He seemed soooo matured - no whining, diving, asking the ref for free kicks etc. He was a gentleman. I was surprised.
I feel that playing for United and in Old Trafford was so nostalgic, so real for him, that he understood who he actually is for the club and its fans. He had a sweet smile on him, a mixture of being home, being truly loved and surprised - this vibe wasn't present at Juventus or Real Madrid, it's only here.

And he respects the club and the shirt. Sir Alex was at the stands and he had somewhat of an obligation or a small redemption to make, which he perfected. A hat-trick would have been just too surreal.

Well, he could've return sooner but better late than never. This shirt fits him 10/10. Red is his colour. Period. (pun not intended*)

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The overwhelming support and recognition shown today here for this guy has left me bordering on emotional.

I lurked for years and only joined to share his moments in football with some like minded fellas in the general Football Forum. I've also been, mind you, a Utd fan since 1999 (that final).

To have followed this guy's every game, and to see him come back and, on his first day, show exactly what he's made of, and then seeing you all posting and sharing your thoughts has been something I didn't know I had wanted so much all my life.

I've said it time and time again. This dude is just incredible at football. Enjoy it while you can. A huge hole will be left in the footballing world once he's gone.

Edit: at this point in my life and his career I'm seriously considering spending whatever cash I have to go to Old Trafford watch him live.

Usually watch him when he comes to Lisbon for Portugal, but in hindsight I truly regret not going to Madrid for one game. I'm not sure I want to repeat the same mistake now.
Seriously though, when he does finally put his boots on the shelf for the last time hes going to be remembered, not only as one of the greatest footballers of all time, but one of the greatest athletes of all time. Hes been world class for 15 years now. Thats something very few can match

pav1790

May be because I was ready to fall in love with any adoration thrown at Ronnie or may be it was genuinely good. But I think none but Peter Drury ( at least out here in US on NBC Sports ) could have done justice to his return. I think he only just managed to contain himself from calling it the return of the king. For us the king would always be Eric. But Ronnie is the Prince among men who wore that number seven.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He reached speed of 20mph for second goal, impressive.

Classical Mechanic

Interesting that he said he was really nervous at the start of the game. He wasn't just saying it as you could see it on his face on Match of the Day. You tend to think he's just some sort of machine.

roonster09

Scout
Interesting that he said he was really nervous at the start of the game. He wasn't just saying it as you could see it on his face on Match of the Day. You tend to think he's just some sort of machine.
He also looked very emotional when he scored this first goal.

frostbite

Yes, he was very nervous at the start. I thought it was obvious when he missed the shot at the 8th minute. He was feeling the pressure and he was trying too hard. It is so nice that he admitted it during the interview. All in all a great game and postgame from him!

tob

His second goal is so good. Can't stop watching it.
Sancho making a run that gets the attention of the Newcastle fullback. Ronaldo looking at the fullback and acknowledge the fullbacks attention is not on him. Then looks at the space in behind and then at the centerback - that is focused on Shaw. Then he just goes for it. The fullback realizes he's got the wrong man, but it's too late. The centerback also realizing where the danger is, but it's too late. The timing and weight of the pass from Shaw. That first touch from Ronaldo. The finish. The celebration. The crowd. Just perfect.

Drifter

American
What can you say about him. That second goal convinced me, that he still as it at the top level.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It’s funny I said to my friends watching it, I think he’s nervous. You could see it in the first 20 minutes before he settled down where he was trying a bit too much. I mean the pressure yesterday was actually immense considering the hype since he’s signed but man does he thrive on it.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
His second goal is so good. Can't stop watching it.
Sancho making a run that gets the attention of the Newcastle fullback. Ronaldo looking at the fullback and acknowledge the fullbacks attention is not on him. Then looks at the space in behind and then at the centerback - that is focused on Shaw. Then he just goes for it. The fullback realizes he's got the wrong man, but it's too late. The centerback also realizing where the danger is, but it's too late. The timing and weight of the pass from Shaw. That first touch from Ronaldo. The finish. The celebration. The crowd. Just perfect.
Same :lol: Have watched it about 50 times now and i cant stop

Cant quite decide if the finish was incredibly lucky or if he meant to place it between the legs of the GK in which case its just world class. That first touch is something else though. Taking it in his stride like that and not losing any speed at all is just superb

Highfather_24

What does Jim Beglin say after the first goal at around 7mins 10 seconds? "Without so much as a ----------, Cristiano Ronaldo has stolen the show".

Highfather_24

He is not a Harry Kane or a Wayne Rooney, who every play will go through. He is not gonna come deep and orchaestrate the play, or like Cavani who will hold up the ball and bring others into play. Even in games when they dont score, they can have a great game.

Ronaldo right now, is an elite goalscorer with decent link up play. He is there to finish off moves, and be a constant threat in the box. That's great, because this is the role where he is most effective/efficient now. He is one of those rare 30+ goals/season player.

So naturally in games where Ronaldo will not score/assist, he will be labelled "quiet" or "ineffective". But that's not fair imo. Its just a different style of play. Ronaldo is such a danger for the opposition, he just needs 1 clear cut opportunity, and he'll punish you ruthlessly.

Siorac

He reached speed of 20mph for second goal, impressive.
Yeah, that second goal was... not something many, if anyone, in our squad could have done. Cavani doesn't have the acceleration, Greenwood and Rashford don't have the assured technique and composure (yet, anyway) to get that pass under control like he did. It was fantastic.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yeah, that second goal was... not something many, if anyone, in our squad could have done. Cavani doesn't have the acceleration, Greenwood and Rashford don't have the assured technique and composure (yet, anyway) to get that pass under control like he did. It was fantastic.
Greenwood's goal vs Leeds is pretty comparable in my opinion. Had the better finish at the end too.

Not taking anything away from Ronaldo's goal.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah I don't think anyone in our team would have scored that. That first touch to bring the ball from behind to his stride was so good, he made it look so simple.

roonster09

Scout
Greenwood's goal vs Leeds is pretty comparable in my opinion. Had the better finish at the end too.

Not taking anything away from Ronaldo's goal.
Wouldn't say it was comparable except the scoring position.

Eriku

Yesterday was a great day. Juve got beaten by Napoli and Ronaldo made his debut.

I was certain that he'd do a cameo and maybe come from the bench around 70th min, but seeing him as a starter made me feel a bit cringy - like really, he starts? But Cavani was off so that was reasonable.

I felt that everything fell in place for him. He seemed soooo matured - no whining, diving, asking the ref for free kicks etc. He was a gentleman. I was surprised.
I feel that playing for United and in Old Trafford was so nostalgic, so real for him, that he understood who he actually is for the club and its fans. He had a sweet smile on him, a mixture of being home, being truly loved and surprised - this vibe wasn't present at Juventus or Real Madrid, it's only here.

And he respects the club and the shirt. Sir Alex was at the stands and he had somewhat of an obligation or a small redemption to make, which he perfected. A hat-trick would have been just too surreal.

Well, he could've return sooner but better late than never. This shirt fits him 10/10. Red is his colour. Period. (pun not intended*)
Nice to hear perspective from a Juve fan. I thought this too. Admittedly I’ve not watched him very closely the last few years, but I was surprised at how drama free he was. Didn’t get pissy when he didn’t get service or when a team mate messed up, didn’t whine about not getting decisions. I was wondering whether he’d just changed a bit in recent years, but I thought maybe it was just that appreciation of coming back to a place that loves him, and that made him the player he is, and him wanting to show that by putting the team first.

And this is from someone who has always been underwhelmed at the idea of Ronaldo returning, seeing as he wanted to skip town the moment Real’s heads were turned. I’m over that now. That first goal was more emotional for me than I expected.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout

Took 2 excellent touches in his stride and had a great finish after a lengthy sprint.

It was a highly underrated goal imo.
It was excellent goal but check where Ronaldo received the pass, it was behind him and he took it in his stride with superb touch. Very different from Greenwood goal who beat the defender with pace and then scored with a near perfect finish.

Eddy_JukeZ

It was excellent goal but check where Ronaldo received the pass, it was behind him and he took it in his stride with superb touch. Very different from Greenwood goal who beat the defender with pace and then scored with a near perfect finish.
Yeah, the circumstance is obviously different, but I thought the execution from both to set up the shot was excellent.

Born2Lose

Incredible performance, could see just his presence lifted the team up to another level.

The second goal showed everything we've been lacking recently, aggression, determination and directness. These park the bus teams are going to have to work a lot harder from now on.

How any true United fan could ever doubt him..

roonster09

Scout
Yeah, the circumstance is obviously different, but I thought the execution from both to set up the shot was excellent.
Yeah I didn't day no one from this team can score from that shooting position, it was about the acceleration and the touch to take the ball from behind into his stride without breaking a stride. I don't think any from our team can execute that.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yeah I didn't day no one from this team can score from that shooting position, it was about the acceleration and the touch to take the ball from behind into his stride without breaking a stride. I don't think any from our team can execute that.
Probably. Ronaldo is one of the greatest ever in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.