Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Odd thing to talk about but anyone else notice how he wears an undershirt first half and doesn't the second half.
Last 2 games yeah. I just figured he was hot in Switzerland but then he did it today in pretty overcast conditions. He wore the undershirt the full game against Newcastle.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm waiting for that first goal from a Pogba assist :drool:

RooneyLegend

Too young to have seen Ruud play...how was his holdup play?
It was great, really simple though. Control and pass it wide the vast majority of the time. He was stronger than Ronaldo, so he could hold back centre backs. Wasn't much of a link up player because he was to preoccupied with being in the best position to score. He was lethal though, more clinical than someone like Ronaldo.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Has scored in every game so far, long may it continue.

Mr Smith

I thought most aspects were somewhere from average to awful. We have a team so superior to West Ham and yet we struggle both on defence and offensive half. Our passing is slow and sloppy, both from defenders and midfielders. We give away ball and we’re not creative. Remove Ronaldo and we created very little.
Sorry but that's a ridiculous take. 60% possession, 17 shots, and a few clutch saves and two stonewall penalties ignored away from us being comfortable. I'll grant you our momentum slowed somewhat in the second half, but in the first we constantly played through West Ham with crisp, one-touch passing.

I feel like posters like yourself underestimate the competitiveness of this league. West Ham are very strong defensively and are one of the best sides in the division outside the top four. They aren't pushovers. If you are honestly dissatisfied with that performance, maybe this sport isn't for you...

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It was great, really simple though. Control and pass it wide the vast majority of the time. He was stronger than Ronaldo, so he could hold back centre backs. Wasn't much of a link up player because he was to preoccupied with being in the best position to score. He was lethal though, more clinical than someone like Ronaldo.
I do not think Ruud was stronger than Ronaldo but he did have exceptional strength at holding back defenders.

Ruud was not as clinical as Ronaldo though I'm quite certain of that. Unless we mean different things by clinical?

RooneyLegend

I do not think Ruud was stronger than Ronaldo but he did have exceptional strength at holding back defenders.

Ruud was not as clinical as Ronaldo though I'm quite certain of that. Unless we mean different things by clinical?
Don't think anyone would describe Ronaldo as having exceptional strength to do anything, he never really holds people back so don't see how strength is debatable.

Ruud was more efficient in front of goal imo.

mav_9me

I am not surprised by his movement and goal instincts. But I didn't expect to see him take on players like he did for those penalties.

mav_9me

Don't think anyone would describe Ronaldo as having exceptional strength to do anything, he never really holds people back so don't see how strength is debatable.

Ruud was more efficient in front of goal imo.
Agreed regarding Ruud

Eddy_JukeZ

I am not surprised by his movement and goal instincts. But I didn't expect to see him take on players like he did for those penalties.
He impressed me for that 1st one too. Very quick change of feet. Should have gotten the pen.

He can't do it throughout the game like he used to, but he can still produce them in crucial moments.

Bondi77

He played well and while I think the 2nd one was a pen the first one was no different to when Ashley Young was accused of diving when he used to run into the defenders knee in the penalty area.
There could be an argument made that if the Ref did not even award a penalty for either then he should have booked Ronnie for diving.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure if this is mentioned but his movement for the chance created by Greenwood was brilliant, Greenwood carried the ball on the right side, Ronaldo just jogged for a moment, then all of a sudden made a run accelerating between defenders and Greenwood played nice through ball.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not sure if this is mentioned but his movement for the chance created by Greenwood was brilliant, Greenwood carried the ball on the right side, Ronaldo just jogged for a moment and then all of a sudden made a share run and Greenwood played nice through ball.
That was great to see. I imagine he'll start banging a few of those in.

He picks and choose when to burst now. Still has great pace over a short/medium distance.

Jibbs

Not sure if this is mentioned but his movement for the chance created by Greenwood was brilliant, Greenwood carried the ball on the right side, Ronaldo just jogged for a moment, then all of a sudden made a run accelerating between defenders and Greenwood played nice through ball.
He is the undisputed king of off the ball movement.

A-man

Sorry but that's a ridiculous take. 60% possession, 17 shots, and a few clutch saves and two stonewall penalties ignored away from us being comfortable. I'll grant you our momentum slowed somewhat in the second half, but in the first we constantly played through West Ham with crisp, one-touch passing.

I feel like posters like yourself underestimate the competitiveness of this league. West Ham are very strong defensively and are one of the best sides in the division outside the top four. They aren't pushovers. If you are honestly dissatisfied with that performance, maybe this sport isn't for you...
I don’t think we looked comfortable at all, in fact we were one rare penalty save away from a draw.
All the penalties that never were, and the big majority of the shots on target and best chances created, those involved Ronaldo which was my whole point, so not sure what you’re on about. And no, I honestly don’t see the master performance you talk about, but we clearly have different standards, references and expectations.

kthanksbye

Expected him to bury the Scott through ball, especially when he shifted it to his right, just got away from him.
4 in 3 now. loving every minute of this.

twitter thread suggester
I am surprised by how agile, fast and skillful he still is.
Some of his touches were a bit heavy, but I will put that down to still being a bit rusty.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He worked his ass off yesterday, even tried to help out in defense. 4 goals in 3 is amazing.
However, he is too selfish. There were 2 or 3 situations where he took the shot but Greenwood would have been in a better position. At one point Greenwood really looked pissed.

One issue I see is that the arrival of Ronaldo overwhelms Ole. He is someone who is glad to find a formation and a set of players which work for him and sticks with that. His plan probably was to play Sancho on the right, Rashford on the left once he is fit and play Greenwood up front with Cavani being used for certain games.
Now we got Ronaldo as the cemented number 9 who won't accept getting substituted too often, Rashford will go straight into the team once he is fully fit and it is difficult to ignore Greenwood. So Ole does not really know what to do with the other attackers.

A-man

What the feck did you watch
You don’t think our passing was slow and sloppy?

Eh? We created tonnes of chances, if not for Atkinson being a cnut and Fabianski having a good game we should have scored 4 or 5.

They didn’t crate any clear chances iirc, their goal was a huge deflection as well.

We’ve been scrappy in some recent games but we played well today.
Again, all those penalties etc involved Ronaldo which was my point. And it’s not just my opinion; If you look at chances created in terms of Expected Goals xG, you’ll see that practically all our xG came from him (Ronaldo 1.9, second highest was 0.08) Greenwood didn’t create much, don’t even remember him taking a shot.

I don’t think we played well.We won because of individual brilliance, not because we put up a great team performance. And that’s fine sometimes, but it is still the way it was.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
Yep, this hasn't updated as Ronaldo is on 122. I'd bet on him to eclipse Nistelrooy by the end of the season.
What’s the betting that Ronaldo has had a quick look at that? Is it even possible he could do it? Can you ever say no to this guy?

133 goals to all time greatness….

I am gonna stick my neck out and say he’s going for it!

Last edited:

NoLogo

No harm lad. I’m not saying you’re wrong but like everything you just said is a prerequisite for an athlete these days.
I think you would be surprised with the stuff that football players can get away with in their early and mid-twenties without it seriously harming their abilities at that time. Prime example of that would be Rooney. Of course, it also ended his career in his early 30s. The main difference is simply that Ronaldo probably never slacked off a day. In a documentary I saw about him they said he only drinks a sip of champagne once a year on his birthday.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
He’s had 19 years in the game so far…

Career average goals is 41 per season, and we all know he didn’t get going for a few years in that respect..

He averages 57 games per season….

What is his longest injury?

He’s actually ridiculous! His body should be donated to science.

Those stats will never be beaten!

MrEleson

What’s the betting that Ronaldo has had a quick look at that? Is it even possible he could do it? Can you ever say no to this guy?

133 goals to all time greatness….

I am gonna stick my neck out and say he’s going for it!
He definitely would’ve had a look.

Odd thing to talk about but anyone else notice how he wears an undershirt first half and doesn't the second half.
Probably something about getting his body up to the right temperature early in the game. He's such a perfectionist its the sort of thing he would do.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His all round game is a lot better than I gave him credit for.
He has taken up the leadership role very well. He's always talking to the other players and I don't think I have seen him flap his hands once.

Ibi Dreams

I think you would be surprised with the stuff that football players can get away with in their early and mid-twenties without it seriously harming their abilities at that time. Prime example of that would be Rooney. Of course, it also ended his career in his early 30s. The main difference is simply that Ronaldo probably never slacked off a day. In a documentary I saw about him they said he only drinks a sip of champagne once a year on his birthday.
His dad was an alcoholic and died because of it, I actually thought Ronaldo didn't drink at all

phenry

He worked his ass off yesterday, even tried to help out in defense. 4 goals in 3 is amazing.
However, he is too selfish. There were 2 or 3 situations where he took the shot but Greenwood would have been in a better position. At one point Greenwood really looked pissed.
I think how Ole handles Ronnie's impact on the team spirit and the confidence of individual players like Greenwood will be the biggest test of his management skills. Can he integrate him without taking away from the progress that other forward players, like Greenwood, have made

romufc

He has made a brilliant start, his movement is elite, this is why he gets so many goals. With Bruno and Pogba on the pitch, he can score tons of goals for us.

We saw with Bruno, he always looks for Ronaldo and with Pogba we know he has that in his locker too.

Status
Not open for further replies.