5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

pascell

If he'd have joined us instead of Juve, I'd have said he'd have more than likely surpassed Rooney as our top goalscorer. Think he'll end up in and around Best and Violett now, he'd do remarkably well to beat Rowley in all honesty.

thebelfastboy

Now we got Ronaldo as the cemented number 9 who won't accept getting substituted too often, Rashford will go straight into the team once he is fully fit and it is difficult to ignore Greenwood. So Ole does not really know what to do with the other attackers.
I'd love to see Ronaldo and Greenwood up top together in a 442 with Rashford/Sancho wide. I think they would be unstoppable

LInkash

Right. There’s bound to be some smart wee bastard on the caf that knows about physical therapy or is some kind of doctor. Please explain to me how he’s still like a 28 year old?
This is one thing he does that probably no-one else does, it's a pretty crazy level of dedication:

Something unique in Ronaldo's fitness regime is that he does not sleep for the traditional eight hours a day. Rather, instead, he chooses to take five 90-minute naps a day.

Says Professor Littlehales in his book "Sleep: The Myth of 8 Hours, the Power of Naps... and the New Plan to Recharge Your Body and Mind": it is better for athletes to take five naps each day consisting of 90 minutes each instead of a full night's sleep.

MattyLT

I remember there was some talk going around about Ronald's work rate, and whether this team can "carry" a striker who's only there to sniff out chances. So it's a hugely positive surprise to see how good his physical game actually is, on top of everything else good about him. Keeps battling for every 50/50, closing defenders down, tracking back and generally making life miserable for the opposition. Proper leader.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There’s a palpable fear/respect from defenders when in his proximity that very few players in the game can engender. It’s earned and warranted and it gives him split seconds other players don’t get - that moment of hesitation as defenders decide what the best course of action is makes Ronaldo’s mind up for him - there’s no way for a defender to stop that outside of just being elite themselves. Ronaldo’s clashes with Thiago Silva and Van Dijk, in particular should be really fascinating affairs.

Over time, our other attackers are going to exploit those gaps Ronaldo leaves when he makes his runs - you can see how he takes multiple men with him and huge splits in the defensive structure materialise; for now, we’re a little awestruck as a unit and our players don’t necessarily switch on to the possibilities those openings create for them as individuals, but it won’t be long before Ronaldo’s presence is incorporated into the game the others play.

What’s really fantastic for us is everyone we face knowing Ronaldo’s threat is the real deal and that he can never be ignored or left unattended. I feel he carries that air of inevitability that he’ll score - or forage the most purest chances to - over a full game and that is seriously mentally draining for defenders having to interact with him. The last time we had that at the club would be with Van Persie, but even then, Van Persie was going to take a magical strike rather than tirelessly stretch and confound defenders with elite movement and sudden bursts of pace and power. I don’t know if Ronaldo’s tank can entertain him doing that over a full PL and CL campaign, but in the here and now, he gives you no reason to think a 1:1 cannot be maintained. There aren’t enough elite defenders in the league to curtail what he does, which is why I had him down as 30+ scorer for the season before a ball had been kicked - with him in the side, we should always feel the game is there to be won.

Ole’s words regarding the penalty denials should carry some weight, and if not heard the first time, he should drum it into the media’s heads a second or third time because that added layer of fear about committing to risky tackles against him in the box should always be in the mind of the defender.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Should have had another goal, an assist, and a pen. At the rate he's going, he could actually break the Premier League goals scored in a season record (32).

tenpoless

Tell you what if we have 2 midfielders that are good at keeping possession or at least 2 midfielders that don't panic and give the ball away every 5 minutes he'd be a force to be reckoned with. I knew he was good but I didn't expect him to be this good with his positioning. Most of the goals he scored the defenders didn't even follow him which means he's actually miles ahead of everybody else, he spots runs that other players can't.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This is one thing he does that probably no-one else does, it's a pretty crazy level of dedication:

Something unique in Ronaldo's fitness regime is that he does not sleep for the traditional eight hours a day. Rather, instead, he chooses to take five 90-minute naps a day.

Says Professor Littlehales in his book "Sleep: The Myth of 8 Hours, the Power of Naps... and the New Plan to Recharge Your Body and Mind": it is better for athletes to take five naps each day consisting of 90 minutes each instead of a full night's sleep.
Thank you. Whatever he doing it’s certainly working.

saivet

It's not something I thought I'd praise him for but pleasantly surprised by his work rate.

Yagami

Good post resistant
His all round game is a lot better than I gave him credit for.
He has taken up the leadership role very well. He's always talking to the other players and I don't think I have seen him flap his hands once.
I said it on here when it looked like he was joining City and people were saying his general game wasn't good enough for a Pep team. Like, he's not going to singlehandedly dominate games by dribbling through teams or carving teams open with excellent passes, but he is still technically great and can more than hold his own at the top level still.

When I was watching Juventus last season, he was playing good stuff (which surprised me as I thought he was just a poacher now) and had a lot of beautiful link-up moments with Morata.

Gonçalo Motta

It's not something I thought I'd praise him for but pleasantly surprised by his work rate.
His workrate both in Madrid and Juve were really good.
He didn't track back every single game but when the team needed him, he was there helping to defend or to press.

Of course that's not where you get the most value out of him but sometimes you gotta do whatever the team needs you to do

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He worked his ass off yesterday, even tried to help out in defense. 4 goals in 3 is amazing.
However, he is too selfish. There were 2 or 3 situations where he took the shot but Greenwood would have been in a better position. At one point Greenwood really looked pissed.

One issue I see is that the arrival of Ronaldo overwhelms Ole. He is someone who is glad to find a formation and a set of players which work for him and sticks with that. His plan probably was to play Sancho on the right, Rashford on the left once he is fit and play Greenwood up front with Cavani being used for certain games.
Now we got Ronaldo as the cemented number 9 who won't accept getting substituted too often, Rashford will go straight into the team once he is fully fit and it is difficult to ignore Greenwood. So Ole does not really know what to do with the other attackers.
To fair Greenwood has his fair share of chances too. I remember Ronaldo did play a through ball to him inside penalty box on one occasion.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
He chased a ball he lost back probably 70 yards to his own corner flag with almost crazy determination not to be embarrassed. He helped regain possession, the team countered, but Ronaldo wasn’t where he should have been up too where I think he’d have had at least a 70% chance of a goal.

Vaibhav Raj

Tell you what if we have 2 midfielders that are good at keeping possession or at least 2 midfielders that don't panic and give the ball away every 5 minutes he'd be a force to be reckoned with. I knew he was good but I didn't expect him to be this good with his positioning. Most of the goals he scored the defenders didn't even follow him which means he's actually miles ahead of everybody else, he spots runs that other players can't.
I dream of that day. That is the only thing stopping this team from steamrolling every single opponent with ease.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Must say I've been delighted with him so far.

He moves like a killer in the box. Give that fecker an inch - and you're done for, he's there.

Droid_Repairs

It's still surreal seeing that this thread exists.

He's been excellent, my only complaint is that we're wasting Cavani somewhat, who has been so good for us.

Edit: Just read Cavani is injured, so as you were. I hope we can find a way to give him plenty of minutes.

Son

Name a better striker for us you have seen? Better movement etc and who can sprint fast too?

Facts are he is carving out chances for us by constantly operating in dangerous areas off the ball. The opposing teams are straight up frightened by the guy.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Ronaldo sprinted to 32.5 km / h against West Ham. No player has gone so fast in the game.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
All his goals have been goalkeeping mistakes so far. Would it be stretching it to suggest that keepers act slightly differently around him which leads to more mistakes being made. Or is it just a coincidence?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
All his goals have been goalkeeping mistakes so far. Would it be stretching it to suggest that keepers act slightly differently around him which leads to more mistakes being made. Or is it just a coincidence?
I’d say there is a little bit of nerves with his reputation for goal scoring but also a huge coincidence

it just hit me that it’s very strange seeing a performance thread for him. Usually we’d follow a Ronaldo thread in the football forum

RUCK4444

I’m not sure how but could we see a pairing of Ronaldo and Cavani up top together at some point?

Doesn’t really fit our system but I’d like to see the pair partnered at some point just for kicks.:drool:

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I’m not sure how but could we a pairing of Ronaldo and Cavani up top together at some point?

Doesn’t really fit our system but I’d like to see the pair partnered at some point just for kicks.:drool:
I think it could definitely be done. Ronaldo can easily play on the left, have Cavani upfront. Obviously, a few players will be missing out in that scenario and I'm not sure if that would be the way to go for a lot of the games. But maybe one or two, or if we're looking for a goal then we could change to that setup. Would love to see it at some point personally.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
I think it could definitely be done. Ronaldo can easily play on the left, have Cavani upfront. Obviously, a few players will be missing out in that scenario and I'm not sure if that would be the way to go for a lot of the games. But maybe one or two, or if we're looking for a goal then we could change to that setup. Would love to see it at some point personally.
I would imagine they’d both see the same spaces and tread on each other’s toes.If they made it work somehow, oh my flipping god! Like having 2 years 6 lads playing up front against the year 3s, except they have a combined age of 70!!!

Is that a record? 70!!

Lucky *7*

I think you'll blunt Ronaldo's impact and goal scoring if you shift him out on the wing for Cavani you'll regret it he doesn't have the legs anymore to beat a man consistently and won't track back plus they'll be treading on each other's toes as they want to attack the same spaces.. it's a disaster waiting to happen IMO. Only should be used when we are chasing a game and desperate for a goal.

We are playing well, scoring goals and top of the league (joint) with Ronaldo as our number 9 not Cavani.. why change a winning team when it isn't broken Ole? And when it doesn't work then what go back to Ronaldo as number 9 to salvage our season when it's too late?! :nono: this is typical Ole.. trying to shoe-horn players into the team even if it upsets the teams rhythm/balance.. can't Ole just leave a winning team?

bring Cavani on when we are chasing a game and need a plan B yes it'll be amazing the best plan B.. but starting him no. You can afford to carry 1 older players.. but not 2.. it'll be like playing with 9 men especially when Ronaldo isn't tracking back and scoring goals people on this forum and the media will attack him when it's not his fault because Ole should've kept the same (winning) team..

Last edited:

lex talionis

I just don't see Ronaldo and Cavani playing at the same time unless we're chasing a goal late in the game.

Revan

Assumptionman

That means no REM, which is bad.

Haven’t read that book but I know that Matthew Walker, professor at Berkeley, one of the leading researchers in human sleep (arguably the leading researcher) recommends the exact opposite: 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep. While he is okay with doing napping, the uninterrupted sleep is the key.

I am pretty sure that Ronaldo does both.

Lucky *7*

"all his goals are goal-keeping mistake"

Forgetting his fantastic movement and anticipation.. let's focus on the negatives to discredit him always.

it's like some people think any striker could score all the goals Ronaldo has in his career.. if it was so easy then other strikers would be! You make your own luck when you are the GOAT!

what Ronaldo is doing at 36 in the most physically demanding league is GOATLY. He's a billionaire and won everything in football so could be forgiven for losing his focus.. but he still has more hunger, desire and drive than players like Martial who are 10 years younger! Says it all really.. it's amazing and we are so lucky to have him back.. we should treasure these memories everytime he plays as he only has a few years left playing football. Nobody thought he'd come back.. we are watching perhaps the greatest of all time play for our club!

I do think he can beat Rooneys record if he wants to.. becoming the all-time top Scorer for both Real Madrid and Manchester United the 2 biggest clubs in the World would cement his GOAT status as nobody has done that for 2 clubs before

I think he will get 30 goals over 4 seasons which is very achievable. Even getting over 200 goals for us would be great

what he is delivering on the field is amazing as most United fans thought he would only get 20-25 goals this season. But it's impact off the pitch he's the true leader/captain of the team with all his vast experience and a lot more vocal than Maguire especially when the team is playing badly. I think he will go into management when he retires like Tim Sherwood said.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
"all his goals are goal-keeping mistake"

Forgetting his fantastic movement and anticipation.. let's focus on the negatives to discredit him always.

it's like some people think any striker could score all the goals Ronaldo has in his career.. if it was so easy then other strikers would be! You make your own luck when you are the GOAT!

what Ronaldo is doing at 36 in the most physically demanding league is GOATLY. He's a billionaire and won everything in football so could be forgiven for losing his focus.. but he still has more hunger, desire and drive than players like Martial who are 10 years younger! Says it all really.. it's amazing and we are so lucky to have him back.. we should treasure these memories everytime he plays as he only has a few years left playing football. Nobody thought he'd come back.. we are watching perhaps the greatest of all time play for our club!

I do think he can beat Rooneys record if he wants to.. becoming the all-time top Scorer for both Real Madrid and Manchester United the 2 biggest clubs in the World would cement his GOAT status as nobody has done that for 2 clubs before

I think he will get 30 goals over 4 seasons which is very achievable. Even getting over 200 goals for us would be great

what he is delivering on the field is amazing as most United fans thought he would only get 20-25 goals this season. But it's impact off the pitch he's the true leader/captain of the team with all his vast experience and a lot more vocal than Maguire especially when the team is playing badly. I think he will go into management when he retires like Tim Sherwood said.
:lol:
Christ, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Relax chief.

Each one of his shots has lead to a mistake by the keeper for him to score the goal. As for the rest of what you've written here, you've taken this far, far more seriously than needed. I am fully aware that Ronaldo is a decent player...

The point of the post was to ask whether keepers react differently around him, which would result in said mistakes.

Last edited:
Man Utd 0:1 Aston Villa

Sylar

Felt sorry for him, a few times waiting for a cross which is over hit
Or a few good positions where Mason can get it to him but doesn't

Not much he can do when he's not fed the ball

The United

Greenwood was extremely greedy with a few good chances he got. Could have worked with Ronaldo a bit more to get at least a goal.

acnumber9

Best header of the ball in the world and we’ve barely got a cross on his head since he’s been back.

bakalhau

You can't have a guy like this not having a good ball to shoot the entire game. Admittedly this game was an exception as he's been well fed so far, but hopefully Manchester do not pull a Juventus and keep feeding him in as many games as possible.

el3mel

Ronaldo has wasted the last few years of his career playing under such set of awful managers at both Juve and now United. Deep down he must be thinking he should have stayed at Madrid from the start.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Cristiano was completely starved of service. We don't cross it, we don't play through balls, we don't do anything that might help him. Villa wanted to cancel him out of the game and our midfield gave them a big assist with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.