Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He will do fine in the big games, I think his mentality by itself will just get those results.

It's just that Benzema type forward play that he lacks at times as a ST. Benzema helped get the best out of a wide forward like Ronaldo at LW, I'm not sure how Ronaldo the ST gets the best out of players like Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho who now play wide off of him.

He is too good to keep on the bench because he does score a goal but at the same time, his overall game when playing on the centre can be better.

Ole is in-between a rock and a hard place with Ronaldo, but I do think he knows what he is doing - the moment he put Cavani centrally and moved Ronaldo a bit more to the left off of him; I felt he realised sometimes we might need a different formation or a different striker to get the best out of Ronaldo himself every once in a while where things don't work and we look stagnant at times. As he said you can't take Ronaldo off because he does score a goal.

Strelok

You posted,
It's odd that you think he won't help against the better teams.
It's not that odd imo.

With our current midfield we barely manage to dominate against the lesser teams so of course it's basically implausible for us to dominate against the better teams. In such scenario he'll be very likely to be isolated and out of the game. In such match we also often have to rely on our quick transition and pressing to have a chance to score. Both don't work really well with Roonie. Of course he's Ronnie so he still may find a way to score somehow, but probability speaking, pretty low imo.

RooneyLegend

You posted,
It's odd that you think he won't help against the better teams.
Players who are great in transition tend to be the better performers in big games because big games tend to be balanced. This version of him is poor in transition. There's a reason our best big game player ATM is Rashford.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
People underestimate how important having a cohesive unit is to scoring alot of goals as a team. He's hurting the team in balanced game which won't bode well for us. Our biggest problem last season was how we handled the better sides, he won't be helping that.
Nonsense. There are number of factors contributing to the team losing its balance:

1. McFred in midfield offer us nothing in build up play at all, in the area where we need most of it, very poor in passing
2. Pogba, with his lack of urgency in defensive role, and being on and off in his attacking play
3. Bruno, as an out and out type of attacking midfielder, has drifted too further away from midfield at times in more advance position which create a big gap from midfield to attack when we need a link up most there, not helping our problematic midfield much
4. Sancho, having very hard time adjusting to the team and pace of the league, a total passenger in defend, and offers us nothing in attack as to date
5. Greenwood, not offering much defensively in winger role, has been too selfish at times, not linking up well with others
6. Ronaldo, not offering much in hold up play despite playing lone striker role, and not pressing hard enough, despite being our most prolific goalscorer/ match winner.

So, everyone of the above are hurting the team in balanced game, should we bench all of them?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We seem to have it in our minds Ronaldo just came to just score goals. Other aspects of the game can take a back seat. Granted, scoring is one very important and vital part of the game. However, it's more important in my opinion we have a better functioning team because the way they combine as a group adds a different and in my opinion better outcome.

I'm not judging Ronaldo or the team with his inclusion at this early stage as it's too small a sample of games. Basically, what I'm trying to say is maybe"the whole is greater than the sum (Ronaldo) of its parts". Let's see how the team and results develop over the season.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
People make it seem like he is a huge liability, but every time I’ve seen him his link up play is much better than I thought it would be. He’s a striker now so he won’t get involved all that much.

MDFC Manager

He's scored 5, missed a few, should have had a couple of penalties. All while the team still not playing too well, not playing to his strengths. Once/if that happens we'll be laughing.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
obviously, we won't get it and it will be Pogba shoehorned somewhere on the pitch and the good old McFred.
It's now become an easy narrative to simply blame McFred and Pogba for every bad game.

We all saw what happened without McFred on Wednesday. They cut through us like a knife through butter. I know Fred is pretty average on the ball but the team needs his pressing. My take on Fred is his inclusion is way too important for this team at this moment and is our best player without the ball at his feet.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ridiculous to hear people blaming Ronaldo for the lack of a functioning team. Has anyone watched us for the last four years? All Ronaldo has done is saved us from the shite on numerous occasions so far.

Bobski

So Cole getting 40 goals and 14 assists was an inferior player to him getting 24 goals 7 assists? interesting.
Yes, his all round game was vastly more evolved and adaptable. His Newcastle version was one dimensional, look for space in behind( and there was a ton of it in that era of the Pl) exploit it, but he was limited in terms of his interplay and in being successful when that space behind was not there. By 28 he was a very good all round forward who could play with anyone, there was a very obvious improvement in his Utd career and the scoring numbers were the least important part of that process.

I think that if the 1994 version of Cole had replaced the 99 version in the treble winning team the overall attacking play is not as fluent and effective.

Individual scoring numbers are much less important than people hype them to be. If you are not actually making your team better the seemingly impressive stats are worthless.

Last edited:

SonyaCross493

So if Cavani scores a hat-trick today against Everton.. how can you drop him for Leicester away? Ronaldo better get use to the Bench with Donny and Sancho. Sadly

Resting Ronaldo why? It's an international break after this game. Why not sub him after 60 minutes when the game is won? Talksport and Sinclair saying he's dropped for his lack of pressing.. expect other media/press to say the same. And with 2 weeks until the next game it's not good to have that vaccume..

It's like Real Madrid dropping Raúl.. you don't rest the King in a must-win game. Could be Ole's sack moment as the crowd at OT won't stand for it. Especially if we don't win they'll turn on Ole as if it's a popularity contest Ronaldo Vs Ole there is only going to be one winner.

Massive lift for Everton ahead of the game.

Idxomer

So if Cavani scores a hat-trick today against Everton.. how can you drop him for Leicester away? Ronaldo better get use to the Bench with Donny and Sancho. Sadly

Resting Ronaldo why? It's an international break after this game. Why not sub him after 60 minutes when the game is won? Talksport and Sinclair saying he's dropped for his lack of pressing.. expect other media/press to say the same. And with 2 weeks until the next game it's not good to have that vaccume..

It's like Real Madrid dropping Raúl.. you don't rest the King in a must-win game. Could be Ole's sack moment as the crowd at OT won't stand for it. Especially if we don't win they'll turn on Ole as if it's a popularity contest Ronaldo Vs Ole there is only going to be one winner.

Massive lift for Everton ahead of the game.
Zidane was resting him plenty 5 years ago.

He played less than 3 days ago and is 36 now, the international break has no relevance to his fitness today.

SonyaCross493

Zidane was resting him plenty 5 years ago.

He played less than 3 days ago and is 36 now, the international break has no relevance to his fitness today.
True. But it potentially creates another unnecessary problem for Ole at his own making if Cavani scores against Everton today as how you can drop Cavani for the next game if he's playing well?

I like Cavani but I don't think they can play together from the start it's one or the other. Hope I'm wrong.

They had a saying in Madrid. No Ronaldo, no party!

Last edited:

IhabX7

Players who are great in transition tend to be the better performers in big games because big games tend to be balanced. This version of him is poor in transition. There's a reason our best big game player ATM is Rashford.
Give it time will ya? I have a feeling you haven't watched him play last season at all.

Man Utd 1:1 Everton

Bebestation

We play so shit with him on the pitch.

He does score us goals but no fluidity. No hold up play. No passes nothing.

We play better with Cavani upfront.

Soon as the subs came on we lost all our control of the game.

A legend scoring goals but he doesn't control the game, Benzema did that for him at Real Madrid.

Yeah yeah I'm wrong by the same guys.

Greenwood goes from a world class youngster to a championship player that can't do shit next to him.

bakalhau

A legend scoring goals but he doesn't control the game, Benzema did that for him at Real Madrid.

The dude put it on a silver platter for Sancho. But "no passes", "nothing". Okay.

KeanoMagicHat

Brutal, if he doesn't score he's just a complete passenger every single game when you remove all the hype. We lost control of the game as soon as he went on.

el3mel

I'm sorry but we can't keep on playing with Ronaldo up top while he barely even runs.

Cavani must start up top. Ronaldo might start beside him, but as a lone striker ? No, fecking no. Even if he's scoring, our playstyle has regressed even more thanks to his immobility.

United in sin

He offered nothing when he came on and I didn't see the need to sub Cavani so early. We looked even more unorganized after those subs

acnumber9

I'm sorry but we can't keep on playing with Ronaldo up top while he barely even runs.

Cavani must start up top. Ronaldo might start beside him, but as a lone striker ? No, fecking no. Even if he's scoring, our playstyle has regressed even more thanks to his immobility.
We were no better when Cavani was on.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Greenwood goes from a world class youngster to a championship player that can't do shit next to him.
He lives in your head mate, go have a drink or something

Bebestation

fecking thank you. People are starting to see that Ronaldo causes our team to play weird.

Greenwood is a player who goes from scoring every game to absolutely nothing soon as he enters the pitch.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
fecking thank you. People are starting to see that Ronaldo causes our team to play weird.

Greenwood is a player who goes from scoring every game to absolutely nothing soon as he enters the pitch.
Oh damn, thats actually true as well. He plays a lot differently

bakalhau

Yeah cool we played better with Ronaldo than Cavani. Okay.
I didn't say any of that. But saying he did didn't put a pass when he actually left a team-mate alone in a shooting position, something that barely happened after the 1-1... I mean I just don't know. It's always Ronaldo's fault.

Idxomer

He's finished as a striker for a top team, has been for a while actually.

Dec9003

He lives in yours too.

You think he is perfect no matter how he plays. No running no nothing.
You’re creating enemies in your head now, it’s embarrassing. Great to read though :lol:

DWelbz19

Where build up play comes to die. He’s a super juiced Mauro Icardi at this point

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Both him and Cavani were rubbish today. Martial, Sancho and especially Greenwood were a lot better.

My worry based on watching them together is that Greenwood isn't working well with Ronaldo. Seems to be under undue pressure to put crosses in, whereas in the first he was playing his natural game. Could be wrong and just an irrational fear.

Bebestation

You’re creating enemies in your head now, it’s embarrassing. Great to read though :lol:
Your having love birds that are perfect and it's cute to read, no matter how crap he plays - he is perfect. Adorable.

Glad I'm not the only one who is seeing his problems, so continue reading it and enjoy it. It won't stop.

Didn't do well at Juventus and is going to do it in the EPL. Yup makes sense.

RepardReece

:lol::lol::lol: Laughable. Look a Juve now without him, and they complained about him too. Some delusion among fans here. Yes - he wasn't great after coming on but he didn't cause Everton scoring.

Stop deflecting from the fact it's our manager.

acnumber9

We absolutely were.
I thought we were garbage throughout. We’d a brief spell first 15 minutes of the second half where we nearly looked a team. Anything good came from Greenwood until he tired as he always does.

Sylar

We didnt need to bring him on at the time he came on. Cavani could have played another 10-20 minutes at least.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace

That's because he's sat out at wide right, playing in crosses

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
I don't know if it's relevant as to why Ronaldo didn't start today, (probably not as he is a true professional) but the wife of one of his best friends, Jose Semedo ex Wednesday and Sporting player, died on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.