Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That's true but comparing them as footballers, Bruno has spent that time a tougher league for a less dominant team and isn't a poacher/as much about the final third as Bruno. He's not quite a midfielder and often operated as a SS but he also does drop deep and press like mad.
Sure not taking anything away from Bruno, he has been amazing and crucial to us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Is this a serious thread?
I think it has less to do with preferences but playstyles. Ronaldo's most productive partnerships were with players who like to set up others. Özil, Benzema, Marcelo, Di Maria, Kroos, etc. That description generally fits Pogba, Fernandes and Sancho, too, although they obviously interpret that role differently. Players that like to finish themselves or occupy the same spaces in the box suffered a bit from playing alongside him (Dybala for instance, but Benzema's goal scoring also took a hit), though, so I don't think Rashford will be a particularly good fit.

Thing is, in your current form you'll probably won't create enough for him regardless of the personnel. If you ask me, you need to be more patient in the build up. Vertical football is working very well right now for teams like Liverpool but they also press like crazy and win the ball high up the pitch, creating a bucket load of chances and minimizing the risk of possession losses, and that's difficult with Cristiano in the team, especially if other stars around him don't work particularly hard defensively, either.
Is this serious or is it some kind of meta commentary on the Messi vs Ronaldo fanboy nonsense
Yeh I know. It’s kind of like a half joke, as I keep using the term “fanboy” on the players, so it’s more intend for a laugh here.

But interestingly the “theory” also somehow fits explanation on the current situation - those who idolise him more would tend to work more on setting him up, or sacrifice or adjust their game abit on him, those who doesn’t would be less likely to do so, and would just continue to play their normal game regardless.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He dealt with Bruno taking (and missing) the penalty maturely. The thing is, it's not one singular instance. It's the compounding of all these small instances of poor management that will grate.

In the end, that's Ole's problem to solve. For some reason he's famed for his man-management. Well, now's the time to see it in action with a lot of big stars and egos. In fact, forget man management and penalties, if our team actually played good football and created enough chances to where Ronaldo not taking penalties isn't a problem, that would be the end of the discussion. But we don't.

And you've got to remember, this isn't just any ordinary player. This is Ronaldo. He arguably has as much pressure on his shoulders as Ole himself. Case in point, we're only a few games in, with him having scored 5 in 6 from open play, and people are already talking about him hampering the team. By contrast if Bruno scored 5 in 6, it wouldn't really matter how he played, because he doesn't have the same amount of pressure. No one does, except maybe Messi.

A player of his huge profile, who always attracts massive scrutiny, will no doubt know that the only way to stem the constant criticism is by scoring goals and being in the golden boot discussion. If Ole at the moment seems to be doing everything he can to prevent that, no way Ronaldo would be satisfied with that sort of situation.
Ronaldo shouldn’t have taken the penalty. Nobody should expect to walk into a team and suddenly take all the set pieces when the player you already have on them is better, arguably. No, not even Ronaldo. If he has problems with that (I’m sure he doesn’t) then he shouldn’t have come back. Ronaldo scoring a 95th min penalty wouldn’t have stopped the critics because the reality is we’ve still looked mainly rubbish in most of our games this season, with him in the side. Other players levels have dropped too.

Swiss_Red89

Premier League Player of the month immediately after his return.

But of course he's a problem.

If it was for Cavani to score 5 in september, people wouldn't stop praising him.

KeanoMagicHat

Premier League Player of the month immediately after his return.

But of course he's a problem.

If it was for Cavani to score 5 in september, people wouldn't stop praising him.
He scored 5 last April and 4 last May when he was last starting regularly, while also topping the pressing stats in many games, not being rock bottom by miles.

Real Name

So far I think for those who fanboy Ronaldo, they tend to work well with him too, ie Bruno, Lingard etc
Since Rashford is his biggest fanboy, I think they should work out fine together.

Also, its known Greenwood always prefers Messi so maybe that's the reason they are not working too well together. Pogba is another one who always prefers Messi, I don't think he has been playing well since Ronaldo joined us.
What the..?

youmeletsfly

If people suggest Ronaldo is the problem then they're out of their fecking minds. How is adding more goals (that we were lacking) to a team more of a problem?
The problem is that our team never really played with class strikers and have no idea when and where to release the ball.

steve.crowford

The Constant “Ronaldo is a bad signing/ Ronaldo is destabilising our team, we shouldn’t have signed Ronaldo” posts got me asking myself one question…
Say we said no to Ronaldo and allowed city to have him. Do you really think they’d be talking about destabilising?
I doubt it cuz Ronaldo would be on his 10th goal of the season as city clear the league. Probs having the title by January.
Like come on, we sound like Juventus fans. We have RONALDO a player most other team would give their star player for. Look at the squad, with Ronaldo we should be walking the league…instead we’re floundering
Rather than blame the guy…GETTING the goals, I’d rather point the finger at the guy in charge of the team. Seriously if with this team and Ronaldo, you still can’t get results, the problem isn’t Ronaldo

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The Constant “Ronaldo is a bad signing/ Ronaldo is destabilising our team, we shouldn’t have signed Ronaldo” posts got me asking myself one question…
Say we said no to Ronaldo and allowed city to have him. Do you really think they’d be talking about destabilising?
I doubt it cuz Ronaldo would be on his 10th goal of the season as city clear the league. Probs having the title by January.
Like come on, we sound like Juventus fans. We have RONALDO a player most other team would give their star player for. Look at the squad, with Ronaldo we should be walking the league…instead we’re floundering
Rather than blame the guy…GETTING the goals, I’d rather point the finger at the guy in charge of the team. Seriously if with this team and Ronaldo, you still can’t get results, the problem isn’t Ronaldo
We didn't need Ronaldo. City did.

Since Ronaldo has entered the team Greenwood has gone from scoring 3 goals to zero goals. So you cannot blame the manager. Bruno Fernandes has gone from being United's main goal scorer, scoring 28 goals a season to someone who doesn't get in to scoring positions because he is instead in creative positions trying to create for Ronaldo who is in Bruno's normal positions. He has only scored one goal so far. Again, you can't blame Ole because he made Bruno work. He hasn't made a 36 year old version of Ronaldo work as a last minute signing, a signing he probably felt he had to do rather than wanted to do. Pogba was a player who had 7 assists before Ronaldo joined the team this season. Nothing post Ronaldo. Like why is Ole being blamed?

The thing is Ronaldo is a great player to have. In my mind he is the GOAT. However he is now 36 and playing in the toughest league in the world in the toughest era ever. He is just not much more than a goalscorer within the box. Yet he himself still thinks he is this "best in the World type of player" when he just really isn't any more at the age of 36. Like that's okay. Everything in the world has to deteriorate one day.

He wants to play every single game. Start every single game. He puts the ball in the back of the net after smacking a shot in to the goal keeper and then tapping in the rebound- but his overall gameplay hasn't been that amazing. Cavani ability to just push a player and get the ball for an assist is something that Ronaldo cannot do.

City are a complete team that only ever needed a striker and I value our ability to stop Ronaldo joining them. But Ronaldo comes with a level of ego at the age of 36 that makes him feel like he is greater than he is.

I'm a big fan of Ronaldo but some fans of him have turned to blaming the players and managers and nearly everything around him because they don't get the best out of him. It just seems a bit d*ck riding where Ronaldo the 36 year old version can do no wrong.

He'sRaldo

Since Ronaldo has entered the team Greenwood has gone from scoring 3 goals to zero goals. So you cannot blame the manager. Bruno Fernandes has gone from being United's main goal scorer, scoring 28 goals a season to someone who doesn't get in to scoring positions because he is instead in creative positions trying to create for Ronaldo who is in Bruno's normal positions. He has only scored one goal so far. Again, you can't blame Ole because he made Bruno work. He hasn't made a 36 year old version of Ronaldo work as a last minute signing, a signing he probably felt he had to do rather than wanted to do. Pogba was a player who had 7 assists before Ronaldo joined the team this season. Nothing post Ronaldo. Like why is Ole being blamed?

The thing is Ronaldo is a great player to have. In my mind he is the GOAT. However he is now 36 and playing in the toughest league in the world in the toughest era ever. He is just not much more than a goalscorer within the box. Yet he himself still thinks he is this "best in the World type of player" when he just really isn't any more at the age of 36. Like that's okay. Everything in the world has to deteriorate one day.

He wants to play every single game. Start every single game. He puts the ball in the back of the net after smacking a shot in to the goal keeper and then tapping in the rebound- but his overall gameplay hasn't been that amazing. Cavani ability to just push a player and get the ball for an assist is something that Ronaldo cannot do.

City are a complete team that only ever needed a striker and I value our ability to stop Ronaldo joining them. But Ronaldo comes with a level of ego at the age of 36 that makes him feel like he is greater than he is.

I'm a big fan of Ronaldo but some fans of him have turned to blaming the players and managers and nearly everything around him because they don't get the best out of him. It just seems a bit d*ck riding where Ronaldo the 36 year old version can do no wrong.
City won the league last season, not us. They also reached the CL final without Ronaldo.

I get the whole idea of wanting to see the team develop, progress, youngsters getting better, etc, but at the end of the day we've won nothing of note for years. At some point playtime has to end, and if the trigger is us bringing in one of the best ever players to win some trophies, I'm all for everyone else taking a temporary backseat.

Just like SAF told players of the caliber of Scholes, Rooney, and Carrick to pass the ball to RVP or be dropped, I wouldn't care if our current players had to cater a bit to Ronaldo.

Bebestation

City won the league last season, not us. They also reached the CL final without Ronaldo.

I get the whole idea of wanting to see the team develop, progress, youngsters getting better, etc, but at the end of the day we've won nothing of note for years. At some point playtime has to end, and if the trigger is us bringing in one of the best ever players to win some trophies, I'm all for everyone else taking a temporary backseat.

Just like SAF told players of the caliber of Scholes, Rooney, and Carrick to pass the ball to RVP or be dropped, I wouldn't care if our current players had to cater a bit to Ronaldo.
That's fine but we do not cater a bit to Ronaldo. We have to Cater alot to Ronaldo because he does not cater back at all. What does he bring to the players around him except maybe some leadership mentality?

He is playing in a position that we are currently seeing one of the best in the World right now in Benzema playing and how he played and catered to alot of players. Ronaldo cannot play like that, that was not his role at his peak so why do people think its his role at 36 years old? The whole team has to cater to Ronaldo so he puts the ball in the net.

Greenwood doesn't get the ball from Ronaldo, so he does not score- yet he has to cross to Ronaldo so he scores a tap in.

Anyway mate, people think that I have a problem with Ronaldo when I dont. I just wished he was kind of like Cavani who would rotate equally with our other forwards. Now it's Ronaldo is our plan A. And that's the best we can be.
We play alot like the Portugal national team. I actually think he is probably better as a LF still than an actually central striker. He misses some aspects of a central strikers game.

I think I'll rather see how this season develops and hope it kind of clicks and see people make their own minds up. Lots of people are starting to see that Ronaldo is a bit of a tactical problem though. They see the biggest change in Bruno Fernandes and him playing like his Portugal National team version. They see it with the difference in the way Cavani plays his role as a central CF even if he isn't scoring and maybe how even Greenwood as a striker at times could be better. The goals he scores is kind of different to the tap ins of Ronaldo so far.

Last edited:

Thiagoal

I love Ronaldo but I think it will become clear he is really not what our squad needed. We have so many great attacking talents as well as some really promising young players whose path to the team have been stunted.
Our play style has also been very poor in the last few games he has started. Our squad is extremely unbalanced- just like it was when Ole took over

Pickle85

Ronaldo being the problem is a strange take.... he's still one of the best in the business. If Ole can't build a team that gets the best out of him then that's on him. I'm afraid to say that we've seen little to suggest that our run of indifferent form is anyone's fault other than Ole's. We obviously lack strength at CM but we're definitely better than we're showing at the moment and for me that's not on Ronaldo.

He'sRaldo

That's fine but we do not cater a bit to Ronaldo. We have to Cater alot to Ronaldo because he does not cater back at all. What does he bring to the players around him except maybe some leadership mentality?

He is playing in a position that we are currently seeing one of the best in the World right now in Benzema playing and how he played and catered to alot of players. Ronaldo cannot play like that, that was not his role at his peak so why do people think its his role at 36 years old? The whole team has to cater to Ronaldo so he puts the ball in the net.

Greenwood doesn't get the ball from Ronaldo, so he does not score- yet he has to cross to Ronaldo so he scores a tap in.

Anyway mate, people think that I have a problem with Ronaldo when I dont. I just wished he was kind of like Cavani who would rotate equally with our other forwards. Now it's Ronaldo is our plan A. And that's the best we can be.
We play alot like the Portugal national team. I actually think he is probably better as a LF still than an actually central striker. He misses some aspects of a central strikers game.

I think I'll rather see how this season develops and hope it kind of clicks and see people make their own minds up. Lots of people are starting to see that Ronaldo is a bit of a tactical problem though. They see the biggest change in Bruno Fernandes and him playing like his Portugal National team version. They see it with the difference in the way Cavani plays his role as a central CF even if he isn't scoring and maybe how even Greenwood as a striker at times could be better. The goals he scores is kind of different to the tap ins of Ronaldo so far.

In our team Ronaldo isn't really being catered to because he's not a lone striker, yet he's being played as one.

As you say, Benzema's style and Ronaldo's are very different, and that's because Ronaldo isn't really a center forward. If that's what people are expecting form him and comparing him with, then he'll disappoint and they'll blame the whole team's issues on him.

snk123

Since Ronaldo has entered the team Greenwood has gone from scoring 3 goals to zero goals.
Oh ffs. It's not like Greenwood has stopped shooting all of a sudden because Ronaldo has entered. This logic is as absurd as the rest of your posts. Ronaldo scored his first goal off a Greenwood shot mishandled by the keeper (Greenwood should have actually crossed it for Ronaldo). A few weeks after, Mason did this.

Actually watching football and not relying on just fecking stats actually will make you see that there is literally no difference to how we play. We played the same disjointed football with no attacking cohesiveness, constantly relying on individual ability to win us games and that has not changed with Ronaldo. If anything, Ronaldo's 5 goals have papered over the cracks. Again, watch how we play.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

To be fair Greenwood has gone through lengthy period of goal drought last season too, despite scoring for fun the season before, can’t blame it all on Ronaldo. Greenwood wasn’t known as consistent goalscorer anyway, he has always been on and off, with or without Ronaldo. He has 7 goals from 31 league games last season (0.22 goal per game) without Ronaldo, while so far this season he has 3 goals from 7 league games (0.43 goal per game). He is already doing a lot better.

And Bruno scored almost half of his goals from penalties over past 2 seasons, can’t blame it on Ronaldo when he was ballooning it last time he missed it.

Sure Cavani is better at pressing and chasing the ball, but is he better at putting the ball behind the net? Do we want goalscorer/match winner, or do we want someone who press more up front?

I agree the team need balance, but that’s up to manager to sort it out for us. Let’s just say, most manager would have Ronaldo up front, and his teammates doing all the pressing/support/water carrier work instead. And those manager having a team set up working well with Ronaldo, do all enjoy very high level of success over the years. While our current team and manager has won feck all, 0 trophy in 4 years, a serial failure. I think this should give us a clear idea which direction we should be moving forward to.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I love Ronaldo but I think it will become clear he is really not what our squad needed. We have so many great attacking talents as well as some really promising young players whose path to the team have been stunted.
Our play style has also been very poor in the last few games he has started. Our squad is extremely unbalanced- just like it was when Ole took over
He definitely wasn't what our squad needed compared to other positions. Most here were happy with a rotation of Cavani, Greenwood and Martial going into the season. As you say it has further unbalanced the squad.

I can kind of get why we went for the opportunity when it came available but I just don't know what the plan is now. I don't expect us to be in for Haaland next summer for example.

He'sRaldo

As you say it has further unbalanced the squad.
We also look a lot more porous than last season.

By your logic I'm assuming Varane's signing unbalanced the squad as well? Or could there be another factor in play here?

Bebestation

Oh ffs. It's not like Greenwood has stopped shooting all of a sudden because Ronaldo has entered. This logic is as absurd as the rest of your posts. Ronaldo scored his first goal off a Greenwood shot mishandled by the keeper (Greenwood should have actually crossed it for Ronaldo). A few weeks after, Mason did this.

Actually watching football and not relying on just fecking stats actually will make you see that there is literally no difference to how we play. We played the same disjointed football with no attacking cohesiveness, constantly relying on individual ability to win us games and that has not changed with Ronaldo. If anything, Ronaldo's 5 goals have papered over the cracks. Again, watch how we play.
:houllier:

I never look at stats and haven't mentioned one except Greenwood stopping scoring which is hardly a stat.

If you are saying you are saying that there is no difference in how we play than last season then that's just mad :houllier:

Bruno Fernandes isn't a goal scorer anymore and nearly everybody has turned in to a crosser of the ball which we didn't do nowhere as much as this season in our last. Now soon as we get the ball our first idea is to put a cross in for Ronaldo.

We did not play like that last season.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

I never look at stats and haven't mentioned one except Greenwood stopping scoring which is hardly a stat.

If you are saying you are saying that there is no difference in how we play than last season then that's just mad :houllier:

Bruno Fernandes isn't a goal scorer anymore and nearly everybody has turned in to a crosser of the ball which we didn't do nowhere as much as this season in our last. Now soon as we get the ball our first idea is to put a cross in for Ronaldo.

Do you think? I don’t think we cross the ball anymore than last season, but I’m happy to be corrected on that.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We also look a lot more porous than last season.

By your logic I'm assuming Varane's signing unbalanced the squad as well? Or could there be another factor in play here?
No there was clear need for a top centre back behind centre midfield. What are you trying to say?

MichaelRed

Maybe you should look at stats then because we cross the ball less than anyone :lol:. My arse we're catering to Ronaldo. He's living off scraps just like every number 9 has done under Ole. We're devoid of creativity & it's due to a lack of talent. We have no cohesive system due to a lack of coaching.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Do you think? I don’t think we cross the ball anymore than last season, but I’m happy to be corrected on that.
According to the PL website, 22 crosses/game this season so far. Last season it was 17/game so stats seem to show that the team crosses the ball more.

Ladron de redcafe

Maybe you should look at stats then because we cross the ball less than anyone :lol:. My arse we're catering to Ronaldo. He's living off scraps just like every number 9 has done under Ole. We're devoid of creativity & it's due to a lack of talent. We have no cohesive system due to a lack of coaching.
Sure :lol:

passtheball

It's not a coincidence that the same posters who have been defending Ole's mediocrity are the one saying that a born winner like Ronaldo is a hindrance to this team. Let's forget that we put up the same crap on the pitch against Southampton and Wolves.

Last edited:

Sviken

Sure Cavani is better at pressing and chasing the ball, but is he better at putting the ball behind the net? Do we want goalscorer/match winner, or do we want someone who press more up front?
I fail to see why Cavani and Ronaldo cannot play together. Ronaldo excels with a hard working forward ala Benzema, Higuain or Di Maria before that. He has NEVER been a lone striker. He's always been more like an inside forward who drifts more into the middle, especially when it comes to goalscoring situations. It's only Ole's ridiculous insistence on McFred's 4-2-3-1 that is hampering our team. It provides no defensive stability and it sure as hell doesn't provide anything offensively as we've already seen. We look just as clueless there.

I reckon a team of 4-4-2 with Rashford and Sancho on the wings (and Greenwood as a regular) and a front two of Cavani-Ronaldo would demolish most teams and our defensive frailties wouldn't really be all that bigger. You can mix it up in the tricky games, but overall we should batter every relegation fodder with zero difficulty... BUT we have a manager who is deathly afraid of actually "giving it a go" and is instead content about not losing (which doesn't matter as we lose quite a lot anyway)

Green_Red

We needed goals to win games. He has literally won us two games at the death already. Whether it was Ronaldo or not we needed a poacher. He is one. The real issue is midfield.

Ladron de redcafe

You think we've created him an abundance of chances? I actually can't comprehend someone being that thick.
If the irony is lost on you, your continuous warped logic and laughable posts make sense.

Having a passenger in the team certainly doesn't help the team creatively. This isn't exactly rockey science.

gajender

I wasn't in favour of bringing Ronaldo back but anybody claiming he has been hindrance to the team is just ignoring the obvious that we as a team just don't create quality chances consistently and that has been case under all our managers post Sir Alex and it also puts theory that all we needed an excellent Goalscorer with great movement to bring it all together to rest as well because no matter how good of a striker you are if they are feeding on scraps they would struggle.

MichaelRed

If the irony is lost on you, your continuous warped logic and laughable posts make sense.

Having a passenger in the team certainly doesn't help the team creatively. This isn't exactly rockey science.
You're blaming Ronaldo. The only one being laughed at here is you.

Status
Not open for further replies.