Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He clearly wants to play every minute so I have no idea why he’s starting on the bench..
He knows his body more then anyone so if he says he is good to go and Ole insists on “resting him” then he hasn’t got a clue.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
So people still keep ignoring that we were actually winning when he came on.

KeanoMagicHat

I think Ole has learned his lesson about resting Ronaldo
Fair play to Ronaldo but scoring a hat-trick with two penalties for Portugal against Luxembourg didn’t prove anything in United terms and has nothing to do with the Premier League. United were winning when he came on and drawing by the end so it’s odd logic about that decision.

So people still keep ignoring that we were actually winning when he came on.
It appears this thread operates in alternative universe.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Is that 60 goals in his last 58 internationals, going back to the start of 2016 - with 2 international trophies in that time. Insane.

Red00012

Fair play to Ronaldo but scoring a hat-trick with two penalties for Portugal against Luxembourg didn’t prove anything in United terms and has nothing to do with the Premier League. United were winning when he came on and drawing by the end so it’s odd logic about that decision.

Sorry it’s Ronaldo’s fault we drew so.

steffyr2

Looks like scoring 1 goal only per game won't work for Utd.

Also, it looks like Portugal has a pretty clear and obvious way of getting the ball to Ronaldo. Perhaps we could try it.

KeanoMagicHat

Sorry it’s Ronaldo’s fault we drew so.
It’s not his fault but since he didn’t do anything when he came on, it’s hard to say it was a bad decision to rest him. If we lost 3-2 with him scoring in the Everton game you could say that, but that didn’t happen.

That overhead would have been tasty if it had went in.

Also, Bruno's goal came from a high press...a good few of Portugal's chances actually came from team pressing, which included Ronaldo.

KeanoMagicHat

Looks like scoring 1 goal only per game won't work for Utd.

Also, it looks like Portugal has a pretty clear and obvious way of getting the ball to Ronaldo. Perhaps we could try it.
We do try it, in fact we have probably done it even more than Portugal do so far.

ForeverRed1

I must be the only one who thought it wasn't a bad idea to drop him vs Everton. Playing Weds night then 12.30 on a Sat for a 36-year old is no joke.
Ronaldo isn’t your average 36 year old. He’s a freak of nature with the physical fitness of a in peak 29 year old! He will say if he doesn’t feel upto it. Play him he will score you goals a plenty.

bakalhau

That overhead would have been tasty if it had went in.

Also, Bruno's goal came from a high press...a good few of Portugal's chances actually came from team pressing, which included Ronaldo.
Wow. Didn't catch this one live. The first touch is insane.

And the guy is sick to his stomach it didn't go in :lol: just gotta love him.

snk123

The people who doubt him at this club don’t deserve to be called Utd fans.

We have to change our game (whatever the fecking football we play) to suit Ronaldo and make him the main man

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
13 goals in 12 games for Portugal this year.
5 goals in 6 games for us this season.

That‘s 18 goals in 18 games for us and Portugal.

SonyaCross493

The man, the myth, the legend! The GOAT for me. Proved it in different leagues and internationally. The day this guy retires will be a sad sad day not just for football but the whole sporting World will mourn his loss. The biggest clutch player in history too

I think he should be taking penalties for Manchester United now. Can you imagine the pressure Fernandes will be under now if he is taking the next one knowing psychologically his captain at international level just scored 3 great penalties (because of the retake). I think Fernandes could miss easily again or won't be long before his next miss. And then what. Sooner or later you have to let CR7 the main-man who has probably scored the most penalties in World football to have his chance.

I can't believe his contract with United is due to expire at the end of next season. If Teddy Sheringham and Ryan Giggs can play until their 40s there's no reason Ronaldo can't play even longer the way he looks after himself and reinvented himself. I imagine United are already planning a longer stay for him especially seeing his impact already. Give him another contract I say! He is also great to have around for the young players. Learning from the best like Bryan Robson said the other day if these kids don't learn from Ronaldo they won't become top players. He's right.

He's scored more hat-tricks since turning 30 too! like a fine wine gets better with age!

I do think for Manchester United to get the best out of Ronny we need to play assist-king Sancho. I think playing Rashford and Greenwood has zero creativity. Look at the cross for Ronaldo's header last night. When have we seen Ronaldo get a chance like that for United yet? That's what Sancho can bring. I'm excited to see there link-up as during the Everton game I thought we seen potential when they both came on. Once they get that understanding developed (which can take awhile when they've had no Pre-season to build it) we are in for a real treat! Both ballers.

Last edited:

Red Stone

You could split his international career in two and the first half by itself would be very good for any top footballer, while second half would be one of the best ever. 32 goals in 87 games between the start of 2003 until the end of 2011 and 83 goals and two trophies in 95 games since the start of 2012. Just insane.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You could split his international career in two and the first half by itself would be very good for any top footballer, while second half would be one of the best ever. 32 goals in 87 games between the start of 2003 until the end of 2011 and 83 goals and two trophies in 95 games since the start of 2012. Just insane.
Imagine having an international career which won 2 trophies for his country, which has never won anything before him, then at the same time he manage to become:
- all time top international goalscorer
- all time top Euro goalsorer (both in final and qualfiier)
- all time top WC final+qualifier goalscorer

And we are not counting anything from his club career yet, which has been at utmost GOAT level. Insane.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Gonna call it…..The people in this thread criticising Ronaldo will all be massive Cavani fans.

Weird bunch seem to think he’s been the second coming. He’s not really done anything of note

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Ronaldo isn’t your average 36 year old. He’s a freak of nature with the physical fitness of a in peak 29 year old! He will say if he doesn’t feel upto it. Play him he will score you goals a plenty.
This just isn’t true, though. His playstyle very clearly shows his physical limitations, otherwise he would be running a lot more. He’s obviously incredibly fit but nowhere near peak fitness of other players.

KeanoMagicHat

If he's in peak physical fitness, maybe he should press more then? Rather than being by far the lowest presser in the league.

The reality is he needs to play like that because he's 36, not 29. That's a problem you have to work around, and he can score enough if you build the rest of the team around it, but you have to admit he's not the same player physically as he was 10 years ago.

LInkash

Did he even ever press with us? We needed Rooney to do all the leg work.

KeanoMagicHat

Did he even ever press with us? We needed Rooney to do all the leg work.
He was never a big presser but he currently averages a really low 2.7 per game, by comparison Jota has 19.8 and Jesus has 17.8.

Even Messi was pressing 5 a game. Big man Benteke presses 9 per game. If he upped it to even 6 or 7, it would really help the team. I doubt the stats are there from the late 2000s, but I can't imagine it was anywhere near that low.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He was never a big presser but he currently averages a really low 2.7 per game, by comparison Jota has 19.8 and Jesus has 17.8.

Even Messi was pressing 5 a game. Big man Benteke presses 9 per game. If he upped it to even 6 or 7, it would really help the team. I doubt the stats are there from the late 2000s, but I can't imagine it was anywhere near that low.
You need to compare his pressing to what he used to do, not to other players. That's totally irrelevant.

And the make up of the team is important too, comparing our non high press team to the biggest high press outfits ever, isn't going to be a great comparison.

KeanoMagicHat

You need to compare his pressing to what he used to do, not to other players. That's totally irrelevant.

And the make up of the team is important too, comparing our non high press team to the biggest high press outfits ever, isn't going to be a great comparison.
Cavani had 15 presses per 90 last season and "lazy" Martial still had 8, so I think whatever team or metric, it's still very low. It's noticeable on the pitch, he basically doesn't use any energy outside the box. Which if he scores it's fine, if he doesn't score it's a waste. Luckily he usually scores, but the whole team needs to allow for this if we're ever going to be successful. That possibly means supplying him with other high pressing players (Cavani, Lingard), not other low pressing ones (Martial and Greenwood).

RUCK4444

I get he doesn't press, like, at all! But would it really make a big difference if he attempted a press 3 or 4 more times per game?

There's probably a trade off where the tiring effect would just lessen the chance of him getting a winner for us (which is what we bought him for.) I think it would need to be a general approach of pressing constantly as part of his game to yield a real benefit, which sadly we won't get.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if he could press like Cavani but still be Ronaldo :D

Sviken

Cavani had 15 presses per 90 last season and "lazy" Martial still had 8, so I think whatever team or metric, it's still very low. It's noticeable on the pitch, he basically doesn't use any energy outside the box. Which if he scores it's fine, if he doesn't score it's a waste. Luckily he usually scores, but the whole team needs to allow for this if we're ever going to be successful. That possibly means supplying him with other high pressing players (Cavani, Lingard), not other low pressing ones (Martial and Greenwood).
Pressing is something that requires team strategy and tactics. Pressing is not about mindless running. We're absolutely braindead when it comes to it. Ronaldo was never an amazing presser, neither is Messi. They contribute in a different way. The problem is that his "pressing" is exacerbated by the fact that the whole team doesn't really work as a team and Ronaldo has been placed in a pure poacher role which doesn't really suit him.

MichaelRed

Pressing is something that requires team strategy and tactics. Pressing is not about mindless running. We're absolutely braindead when it comes to it. Ronaldo was never an amazing presser, neither is Messi. They contribute in a different way. The problem is that his "pressing" is exacerbated by the fact that the whole team doesn't really work as a team and Ronaldo has been placed in a pure poacher role which doesn't really suit him.
Yea, I could better understand people making a the pressing argument if our team pressed cohesively as a unit but it doesn't. Anyone making a lone press in our team is just wasting their energy.

SonyaCross493

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/lionel-messi-fans-hijack-man-25208603

So pathetic from Messi fans. Why are they so insecure? A club supporting its own player when most people agree its neck and neck about which player is the greatest of all time. I don't see anything wrong with it.

It seems like to me Messi fans are more intolerable and insecure to other peoples different opinions. I don't get it.

Let Ronaldo enjoy his moment and adulation of scoring a hat-trick. I'm sure it won't last when United lose to Leicester at the weekend.

It just seems so hateful and spiteful for Messi fans to go hijacking on United's Twitter feed, if you don't like something ignore it surely. Love for a club and player over hating another player and club is what it should be

Why can't we appreciate both players? Yes we all have our own opinions about who the best player of all time (I think Ronaldo is the greatest of all time) is but surely we can appreciate both? Instead of trying to belittle anything good Ronaldo does by mentioning Messi and vice versa. We will miss them both when they are retired.

Both players deserve the credit for their careers without having their achievements defined by the other. I thought we'd finally got over comparing them constantly now they are both almost retired. And just enjoy them and appreciate them both. It's boring and must be a bit sad when you can't enjoy and appreciate both players..

Last edited:

The United

Love Cavani for his pressing.

His availability for games for over the years has been not great. I wonder if it has anything to do with his body getting overworked?

As someone said above, it is not like our whole team was known to be mastered at pressing and Ronaldo fecked it up when he started for us.

Only Bruno was the one who does it consistently and because of it people wonder if he should play less to be much more effective. Tells you about how pressing as a team is not our style so far.

EtH

Gonna call it…..The people in this thread criticising Ronaldo will all be massive Cavani fans.

Weird bunch seem to think he’s been the second coming. He’s not really done anything of note
I think many are misconstruing concerns about team dynamics with attacks on Ronaldo as a player. He needs service and does little without it at this point which is a worry considering our lack of control of the midfield area in most matches. And most worrying of all is the lack of end product from everyone else since his arrival.

Highfather_24

I think we cannot have Greenwood/Martial and Ronaldo on the pitch at the same time, because they dont press much. You can accommodate one player like that, not two.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If he's in peak physical fitness, maybe he should press more then? Rather than being by far the lowest presser in the league.

The reality is he needs to play like that because he's 36, not 29. That's a problem you have to work around, and he can score enough if you build the rest of the team around it, but you have to admit he's not the same player physically as he was 10 years ago.
He never press much, its never part of his game. I remember he sort of fall out with Mourinho during 10-13 in Real, as he refused to follow Mourinho instruction to defend, and this is during the period when he was an all action physical beast who will keep on running and attacking all over the pitch, and he was consistently scoring 50-60 goals and 10-15 assists per season.

But its true he runs much less these days, as compared to his physical peak years. Once he get to his 30s, his game is more about preserving energy, only runs when he sense there is potential opportunities, and being efficient throughout. He wouldn't waste much of his energy on pressing, thats part of his game

Status
Not open for further replies.