Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’ve watched a video last night explain how Rangnick would apply his high pressing system in our current team. Basically Ronaldo and our other forwards would probably adopt the role of man marking a defender each to prevent a passing there, which would leave opponents to pass the ball to their only option to their nearest midfielder, and that’s where our intense pressing would occur once the ball get to their midfielder. I thought it makes perfect sense, instead of asking our forward to chase the ball crazily like a headless chicken in the final third.
Yep.

People thinking Rangnick coming means the end of Ronaldo are being silly.

Pressing isn't about running around the pitch at full steam all match long. It's about positioning, applying pressure at the right time. It's literally Sheep herding.

As long as Ronaldo buys into it, he can apply enough pressure without having to run himself ragged. He's shown plenty of times already he's willing to do the hard work, the main issue is usually the defence are dropping off, the midfield don't want to follow the attackers in pressurising as it leaves a big gap between mid/def.

What we need is organisation, coordination and bravery. I have faith that Rangnick will be able to get them to do it properly.

Lyng

Yep.

Pressing isn't about running around the pitch at full steam all match long. It's about positioning, applying pressure at the right time. It's literally Sheep herding.

As long as Ronaldo buys into it, he can apply enough pressure without having to run himself ragged. He's shown plenty of times already he's willing to do the hard work, the main issue is usually the defence are dropping off, the midfield don't want to follow the attackers in pressurising as it leaves a big gap between mid/def.

What we need is organisation, coordination and bravery. I have faith that Rangnick will be able to get them to do it properly.
Yeah. If anything Ronaldo will thrive under Rangnick. Ronaldo wants to win and its all about winning for him. Rangnick demands his players to give everything to win and pressure. Ronaldo will love that approach and the demand from the players, because he demands these things of himself.
I think the example with Evra going to Ronaldo for lunch is the perfect example.

Adam-Utd

Yeah. If anything Ronaldo will thrive under Rangnick. Ronaldo wants to win and its all about winning for him. Rangnick demands his players to give everything to win and pressure. Ronaldo will love that approach and the demand from the players, because he demands these things of himself.
I think the example with Evra going to Ronaldo for lunch is the perfect example.
100%. Anything that will make us win more he will be happy to do. if it means working harder he will be the first one running.

We have a big enough squad to avoid burnout too, it just requires careful rotation and players accepting they can't play 3 matches a week. I hope we get to the point where leaving out Bruno/Shaw/Ronaldo/Rashford at times doesn't make the team fall apart.

That's the one thing I envy about City/Pool, they can seemingly rest a player and not see any real drop off.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
100%. Anything that will make us win more he will be happy to do. if it means working harder he will be the first one running.

We have a big enough squad to avoid burnout too, it just requires careful rotation and players accepting they can't play 3 matches a week. I hope we get to the point where leaving out Bruno/Shaw/Ronaldo/Rashford at times doesn't make the team fall apart.

That's the one thing I envy about City/Pool, they can seemingly rest a player and not see any real drop off.
Spot on, and the reason they can rotate with no drop off is that there are clearly defined roles and tactics, hope we can achieve the same.

SeeMe

Supports
Porto
Hopefully Rangnick chooses CR7 as his captain. New managers normally choose their own captain to show a reset and things are new and Maguire is struggling with the captaincy anyway.

i think Ronaldo will get on really well with the new manager. Rangnick will respect Ronny as the GOAT and a club legend and try to get him on side.. which giving him the captaincy will be a good way to start to buy into what he wants.

Rangnick knows Ronny is 37 and isn't capable of high-pressing so will probably operate a mid-press from the midfield instead to compensate for Ronaldo, but with Ronny keeping the shape.

I think the media suggesting that Rangnick will come in and ruthlessly drop and dump Ronny out of the club like he's some nobody is ridiculous and really disrespectful.. without Ronny this season we would've finished bottom of our Champions League group and be further away in the Premier League. You don't treat a club legend with such disrespect.. not what Ronny has done for this club over 2 spells. Whatever happens and when it's time for Ronny to leave/retire (hopefully not for a long time yet as on his current form can easily play into his 40s for this club).. Ronny has earned the right to leave through the front door with his head held high when he does eventually leave/retire. Stay classy.

It really makes me angry and sad to see such disrespect to a club legend... who lets not forget rejected joining Manchester City to come back to Manchester United where he's supposed to be loved and appreciated/respected..
Yes, you are totally right, Rangnick will give him captain armband, they will link well since Ronaldo is GOAT and legend of the club.

Besides I do think Rangnick will build the team around GOAT we all think he can play under 40s, as you said, Rangnick will change his tactics to accommodate Ronaldo too, start pressing from the midfielders not attackers (although I do not know how it works yet).

It saved club a lot of money on Haaland, Mbappe or whosoever, Cavani and Ronaldo up front for next 3 seasons please, Man United will be champion of the Europe and England !!!

P/S : other strikers like Martial, Rashford on bench can be sold to get some world class midfielders to feed to ball for Ronaldo.

tothetop96

Not that I want to drop Ronaldo, far from it, play as many games as humanly possible, we'd be out of the UCL if it weren't for him, but these are some interesting stats

Ronaldo had not joined us when we beat Leeds 5 - 1 in the first game and he was with us when we were beaten 5 - 0 vs Liverpool.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yep.

Exactly.

Also, Ragnick managed Yussuf Poulsen at RB Leipzig in two seasons when he was doing caretaker duty cos his preferred first team coach wasn't available. Are people trying to tell me Poulsen is so much more mobile and athletic than Ronaldo?

As you say Ragnick will be coaching a system. He won't be asking Ronaldo, or anyone, to run around like headless chickens. As long as our players respond to instructions they won't have any issues implementing Rangick's style. Also, if we do it right, Ronaldo will score many more goals than he has been doing. Just because we will secure more turnovers closer to the opposition goal than we have been since he joined us.

Adam-Utd

Exactly.

Also, Ragnick managed Yussuf Poulsen at RB Leipzig in two seasons when he was doing caretaker duty cos his preferred first team coach wasn't available. Are people trying to tell me Poulsen is so much more mobile and athletic than Ronaldo?

As you say Ragnick will be coaching a system. He won't be asking Ronaldo, or anyone, to run around like headless chickens. As long as our players respond to instructions they won't have any issues implementing Rangick's style. Also, if we do it right, Ronaldo will score many more goals than he has been doing. Just because we will secure more turnovers closer to the opposition goal than we have been since he joined us.
To be fair I think Poulsen was always known as a hard worker, but lacked the technique/finishing ability.

It's nonsense anyway, does Ronaldo press like Cavani? no, but its not through lack of able or wanting to do it. I think he just realises there's no point chasing after defenders when they're knocking it around you 3v1 with ease.

The other thing also, pressing higher up the pitch makes it easier to press. Tighter, contained spaces where you only have to do a 10 yard shuttle run is MUCH easier than having to run 20 yards chasing 2 different centre backs.

With proper coordination pressing actually makes you run less as strange as it sounds. You never see Salah/Mane etc looking knackered from running all over the pitch as they arent/dont need to.

El Jefe

Yep.

It's so silly, Ragnick wouldn't dare drop Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is probably one of the most adaptable players ever. He's played under all types of managers and has never had an issue adapting to any of them.

Adam-Utd

It's so silly, Ragnick wouldn't dare drop Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is probably one of the most adaptable players ever. He's played under all types of managers and has never had an issue adapting to any of them.
I'm sure if he thought he was rubbish and totally against his game plan then he would drop him. Lets be realistic here though, Ronaldo is one of the most professional players ever. He will adapt, he will work as hard as anybody else and the coach will love him.

SonyaCross493

I can't believe the media is so disrespectful to suggest that the GOAT and club legend CR7 will be droppped by 6-month intermin Rangnick.. Ronny is the only reason we are in the Champions League last 16 and not further away in the league. With De Gea.

If Rangnick is smart and wants to get CR7 on side he should give CR7 the captains armband and make him his captain/general on the field. That would be a massive charm offensive to win Ronaldo over, to make him a club captain for first time in his career. And instantly get rid of the media and opposition fans predicting trouble between the 2 men.

No doubt that Ronny is the biggest player Rangnick has had in his management career.. so it's a massive test/challenge for Rangnick if he can get CR7 on board and not alienate him.. And prove the critics wrong who the media and opposition fans are already predicting a massive fall out.. because it's not just Ronaldo he has to deal with, it's the fans who love Ronny he's a god to them, the other players who Ronaldo has a big influence over in the dressing room etc to potentially make life difficult for Rangnick especially if good results are not instant under Rangnick they could get him the sack.. so getting Ronny on board should be Rangnicks first important job.

I'll actually be shocking if the club haven't consulted Ronaldo and his camp on Rangnick to get the green light before hiring him. Maybe Rangnick has already spoken to CR7 on the phone or through Zoom if he plans on making him his Captain who knows. Normally a new manager wants their own captain when they join a club to indicate something different, fresh and new.

Last edited:

Ladron de redcafe

I can't believe the media is so disrespectful to suggest that the goat and club legend CR7 will be droppped by Rangnick..

If Rangnick is smart and wants to get CR7 on side he should give CR7 the captains armband and make him his captain/general on the field. That would be a massive charm offensive to win Ronaldo over, to make him a club captain for first time in his career.
Yeah, how dare a manager contemplate dropping a player if said player doesn't play up to standard. Rangnick is not going to spend a second placating morose footballers. If Ronaldo (or anyone else for that matter) pouts, they're going to be dropped, not rewarded with a captain's armband. That's risible.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I can't believe the media is so disrespectful to suggest that the GOAT and club legend CR7 will be droppped by 6-month intermin Rangnick.. Ronny is the only reason we are in the Champions League last 16 and not further away in the league. With De Gea.

If Rangnick is smart and wants to get CR7 on side he should give CR7 the captains armband and make him his captain/general on the field. That would be a massive charm offensive to win Ronaldo over, to make him a club captain for first time in his career. And instantly get rid of the media and opposition fans predicting trouble between the 2 men.

No doubt that Ronny is the biggest player Rangnick has had in his management career.. so it's a massive test/challenge for Rangnick if he can get CR7 on board and not alienate him.. And prove the critics wrong who the media and opposition fans are already predicting a massive fall out.. because it's not just Ronaldo he has to deal with, it's the fans who love Ronny he's a god to them, the other players who Ronaldo has a big influence over in the dressing room etc to potentially make life difficult for Rangnick especially if good results are not instant under Rangnick they could get him the sack.. so getting Ronny on board should be Rangnicks first important job.

I'll actually be shocking if the club haven't consulted Ronaldo and his camp on Rangnick to get the green light before hiring him. Maybe Rangnick has already spoken to CR7 on the phone or through Zoom if he plans on making him his Captain who knows. Normally a new manager wants their own captain when they join a club to indicate something different, fresh and new.
Pay no attention to the media. They just want a talking point and what better than dropping Ronaldo. It's an old trope in the drama of football -- old legend past his best and all.

Every manager and football guy knows Ronaldo is why were still alive this season.

Strelok

Yes, you are totally right, Rangnick will give him captain armband, they will link well since Ronaldo is GOAT and legend of the club.

Besides I do think Rangnick will build the team around GOAT we all think he can play under 40s, as you said, Rangnick will change his tactics to accommodate Ronaldo too, start pressing from the midfielders not attackers (although I do not know how it works yet).

It saved club a lot of money on Haaland, Mbappe or whosoever, Cavani and Ronaldo up front for next 3 seasons please, Man United will be champion of the Europe and England !!!

P/S : other strikers like Martial, Rashford on bench can be sold to get some world class midfielders to feed to ball for Ronaldo.
Yeah absolutely we should sell Greenwood as well that lad refuses to feed Ronaldo anyway. And give Ronaldo not only the armband but the manager job too. Why do we need Rangnick anyway, all we need is Ronaldo and we're set for the next decade. Both on and off the field. The GOAT and biggest legend, best thing ever since sliced bread. Probably should start building his gigantic statue outside OT asap ;)

SirMonteyne

You need someone who is clinical at the front when you doing high press, Ronaldo and maybe Rashford will be the most important players under Rangnick's reign.
Fred and Bruno can manage extra hard work for him.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona

:lol:, I see what you did :lol:

Chelsea 1:1 Man Utd

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
And again I'm not talking about his ability to attack because that is great but with him on the pitch we lost any ability to control the match today - the same against Chelsea and the same vs Everton.

Anyway, Keep Scoring CR7 - value that as I always have.

arnie_ni

And again I'm not talking about his ability to attack because that is great but with him on the pitch we lost any ability to control the match today - the same against Chelsea and the same vs Everton.

How did he effect that specifically because I didn't think we controlled it before he came on.

Gottabekiddingme

You're joking, right? We've been terrible with and without him.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Away games in the PL are not for him anymore. Well, until we start to look competent in possession.

Idxomer

Pointless him coming on.

He really shouldn't be staying next season if we actually want to progress our football.

KeanoMagicHat

Should never have been brought on when he was, the game didn't require it. Would have been different if we were 1 down. Carrick was brave to drop him in the first place, but must have decided before the game that he'd bring him on at 60 mins no matter what. The sub just didn't match the mood of the game at the time. We did nothing after he came on and he lost his man at the end, nearly cost us a goal. Not a good cameo at all.

The United

Again, same old same old shit spouting as usual.

We did not control anything before he came on. And, could have gotten second goal just like the first one from a mistake.

Bobski

Should not have come on, understandable though as him being an unused sub just creates too much BS.

Bebestation

Playing a defensive compact team that tries to defensively control and counter attack is different to not having any control of the match.

Chelsea started carving us wide open with players all over the pitch, cutting us through the middle and we couldn't even defend well afterwards.

Anyway, if you disagree then fine - that's your opinion.

I'm not the only one who thinks this as read above.

arnie_ni

Sancho was injured everyone. He has hardly going to bring lingard or martial on before him

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
If Sancho was having a knock, Lingard should have come in first. Lingard would have provide some extra energy when everyone was tired.
Think DVB should come in a little earlier too, DVB is not excellent at defense so I understand not starting him but he does provide some ball circulation.

United didn't control the game with or without Ronaldo, but Ronaldo did not add anything when he came in.

The United

Playing a defensive compact team that tries to defensively control and counter attack is different to not having any control of the match.

Chelsea started carving us wide open with players all over the pitch, cutting us through the middle and we couldn't even defend well afterwards.

Anyway, if you disagree then fine - that's your opinion.

I'm not the only one who thinks this as read above.
We were gas in the 2nd half. The shape was loosing up. We are not used to that kind of tempo for all game with Matic playing full 90 and Telles probably didn't have enough match fitness for this intensity for all game.

There could be a lot of other logical reasons why we dropped off a bit late in the game.

But, no, it was Ronaldo.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'm amazed how weak he is these days. He doesn't even trust himself to hold the ball up against anyone, and unless he jumps clear he almost always loses the aerial battle.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
People on here get so weird when it comes to Ronaldo, I think it’s the same with Messi. He didn’t do much when he came on but didn’t have much to do, he was still tidy on the ball for me and got it moving the couple of times that he could.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I have noticed that some players hesitate passing to him because they're incapable of making the pass.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
People blaming Ronaldo for us not controlling the game, as if we could have controlled it anyway.

Whens the last time we controlled a game guys, be real.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Maybe let's put the club first and stop obsessing over individuals.

I'm sure they're work together just fine. Hopefully Rangnick and the club are looking to make us a force in the coming years and that plan is more important than Ronaldo or any other single player.

bakalhau

The coach did well to bring him on because it was 1-0, and Ronaldo is the perfect guy to be on the end of a counter attack. Not even 5 minutes after he comes on, 1-1 and United momentum is killed.

Are we really gonna have the same discussion again the next few days?

Bebestation

People blaming Ronaldo for us not controlling the game, as if we could have controlled it anyway.

Whens the last time we controlled a game guys, be real.
No one is blaming him for anything really - it's just was easy for some fans to see the difference to some of us how we played before he came (on as a sub) vs how we played after.

Some fans don't see it and that's just how it is.

Sylar

We had no reason to bring him on

With jadon hurt, lingard made more sense for that sub
If you bring him on you need to have control of the game and need a goal
We didn't need a goal so was odd but seemed like a 'I'm dropping you but you will be first sub regardless' agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.