Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm glad he posted about it, too many people make the rounds on his name alone, too many people talk too easily about him and he's a constant cash generating machine for journalism everywhere, which seems to think that they can post anything on people, regardless of the truth behind it. Sometimes I like he steps up to address some of the crap that gets thrown out there.

I'm not gonna dispute an healthy rivalry exists between both or, that if you ask Ronaldo directly, he'd certainly like to have more BdOr's than Messi, but if anyone thinks the *only* reason this guy has played football for the last 15 years is to outmatch a single other dude in a single other award/metric, you need to seriously lay off the weed immediately.
Agree as though he would probably love to have more ballon dor's then messi i doubt he be either consumed by it or would even confide that information to such a sleaze ball such as Pascale

Journalism integrity is in the gutter at the moment and its only getting worse and well there's no need to say much about France footballs farcical existence

Idxomer

It's like you didn't read that tweet. I think finishing top of the group rather than going into the Europa league makes us significantly better.

Cavani was only rotated so much due to his injury issues, even OGS knew how important he was towards the end of the season and would've played him more if he could.

I agree, the sub to bring him on wasn't that effective, especially for Sancho. But the rest of your post is ridiculous.
First of all, we wouldn't be playing with 10 players if we didn't have Ronaldo. No one has any idea how those games would've gone without him. Our group is EL level this season, there's actually a good chance you'll find all the teams of this group in EL next season. We're what, 9th in the league? Ronaldo has scored 1 goal in the last 8 league games and again it's not like he hasn't missed any chances. It's a fact he isn't making us significantly better. Saying otherwise is certainly ridiculous.

Cavani had injuries but still, there were many instances where he was available and didn't start. One of the reasons was definitely his age.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
Ah right, you go support a team who plays Europa league football then, see how good they are.

This season is a totally different season to last. We've gone backward. Saw signs of it all last season, many on here did notice but people like you were obviously blindsided by our constant comebacks, and now you blame Ronaldo, when it was clearly Ole all along.

He has dragged us through the CL whether you like it or not.

Unless you suddenly want to tell me Ronaldo was at fault for the goals we have conceded in the champions league?
Ok with your logic, Ronaldo made United go backwards since United won both home and away against City last season but we lost against them at home. So whether you like it or not you have to admit that :-/

Yes this season is totally different season to the last, that is my point! last year in the group stage United faced a previous CL finalist and semi-finalist.
This year United faced two descent teams. Look if you can't understand that difference you are really bad at comparisons, like horrible.

If I did such comparison in my research my advisor would slam me to quit research (my job).

RepardReece

First of all, we wouldn't be playing with 10 players if we didn't have Ronaldo. No one has any idea how those games would've gone without him. Our group is EL level this season, there's actually a good chance you'll find all the teams of this group in EL next season. We're what, 9th in the league? Ronaldo has scored 1 goal in the last 8 league games and again it's not like he hasn't missed any chances. It's a fact he isn't making us significantly better. Saying otherwise is certainly ridiculous.

Cavani had injuries but still, there were many instances where he was available and didn't start. One of the reasons was definitely his age.
No, you're right we don't. But what we do know is what the performances late last season and then against Southampton and Wolves before Ronaldo signed were like.

Wolves game being the primary example was the same shitshow we have seen recently, and that was without Ronaldo. Fortunately, we won that game.

Then head on yourself to performances and game threads with regard to games late last season, which speaks for itself really.

Ok with your logic, Ronaldo made United go backwards since United won both home and away against City last season but we lost against them at home. So whether you like it or not you have to admit that :-/

Yes this season is totally different season to the last, that is my point! last year in the group stage United faced a previous CL finalist and semi-finalist.
This year United faced two descent teams. Look if you can't understand that difference you are really bad at comparisons, like horrible.

If I did such comparison in my research my advisor would slam me to quit research (my job).
You're definitely misunderstanding. Read above. Early last season we had Bruno absolutely dragging us out the mud, his performances dropped off later on in the season and it really started to show with the performances from thereon.

I'm by no means saying Ronaldo is the single best player in the team by a mile, I'm saying we'd be no better off, based on results without him (again read the comment above to Idxomer).

This bias that Ronaldo is basically single-handedly fecked us up is absolute delusion; it was Ole.

And Oh yeah, cos Ronaldo was the reason why City absolutely outplayed us. Jesus christ.

Honestly, if Mourinho signed Ronaldo in his last season at our club, you'd probably be saying the exact same thing. He had the same team as the previous season and went far downhill.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
No, you're right we don't. But what we do know is what the performances late last season and then against Southampton and Wolves before Ronaldo signed were like.

Wolves game being the primary example was the same shitshow we have seen recently, and that was without Ronaldo. Fortunately, we won that game.

Then head on yourself to performances and game threads with regard to games late last season, which speaks for itself really.

You're definitely misunderstanding. Read above. Early last season we had Bruno absolutely dragging us out the mud, his performances dropped off later on in the season and it really started to show with the performances from thereon.

I'm by no means saying Ronaldo is the single best player in the team by a mile, I'm saying we'd be no better off, based on results without him (again read the comment above).

This bias that Ronaldo is basically single-handedly fecked us up is absolute delusion; it was Ole.

And Oh yeah, cos Ronaldo was the reason why City absolutely outplayed us. Jesus christ.

Honestly, if Mourinho signed Ronaldo in his last season at our club, you'd probably be saying the exact same thing. He had the same team as the previous season and went far downhill.
Well based on what you are saying you are actually admitting that Ronaldo did not improve the team compare to last year?
Which that is our point? Is he the reason why United degraded is another topic but at least I think you admit that he did not improve the team.

RepardReece

Well based on what you are saying you are actually admitting that Ronaldo did not improve the team compare to last year?
Which that is our point? Is he the reason why United degraded is another topic but at least I think you admit that he did not improve the team.
That's not your point, have you read most of your comments through this whole thread?

My comment saying he's significantly improved us was definitely farfetched, and that's not how I meant it (my bad really). I apologise for that.

My whole point throughout the whole of this thread to yourself, Bebe and so on, is that we'd be no better off without Ronaldo. The signs of a decline really did show towards the end of last season.

I'm generally just fed up with the ridiculous comments on here, apparently, he's the issue for everything. Juve are not doing much better since he's left are they?

captaincantona

I'm by no means saying Ronaldo is the single best player in the team by a mile, I'm saying we'd be no better off, based on results without him (again read the comment above).

No...you said...”I think finishing top of the group rather than going into the Europa league makes us significantly better.” And that my friend is horse shit. If you can watch any of our performances in this seasons CL and say we are significantly better than last season you are twisting both reason and logic. Ronaldo has been fuking ordinary in every game bar the late goals...done fuk all else...I’ve put videos of his performances in other threads and had Ronaldo FC fans say- well even though that was all his touches in that video , it doesn’t show his ACTUAL contribution to the game!!! You guys are delusional. He is clinical and experienced enough to keep his head when I counts. I get it...but how anyone could look at his performances in a red shirt as anything but average is beyond me...his touch is gone, he can’t hold up the ball, he is not on the same wavelength as anyone expect maybe Bruno, he strops when we lose as if he wasn’t part of the team who lost. he throws his hands around like a child when others take a poor touch...before losing the ball time and time again or falling over in the vicinity of a defender.

His goals, I get. I get it. They are priceless...but can you afford to carry his empty performances just for the benefit of those late goals? Would we need those goals if we gave a proper front three a chance with Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood? Let them bed in...that was the plan...learning to play together...interchanging...on paper it’s fuking mint...it could have been mint...it still could be but that went out the fuking window when Ole got all misty eyed and brought back a legend who needs a team much better than us to allow him the leeway he needs to perform.

RepardReece

No...you said...”I think finishing top of the group rather than going into the Europa league makes us significantly better.” And that my friend is horse shit. If you can watch any of our performances in this seasons CL and say we are significantly better than last season you are twisting both reason and logic. Ronaldo has been fuking ordinary in every game bar the late goals...done fuk all else...I’ve put videos of his performances in other threads and had Ronaldo FC fans say- well even though that was all his touches in that video , it doesn’t show his ACTUAL contribution to the game!!! You guys are delusional. He is clinical and experienced enough to keep his head when I counts. I get it...but how anyone could look at his performances in a red shirt as anything but average is beyond me...his touch is gone, he can’t hold up the ball, he is not on the same wavelength as anyone expect maybe Bruno, he strops when we lose as if he wasn’t part of the team who lost. he throws his hands around like a child when others take a poor touch...before losing the ball time and time again or falling over in the vicinity of a defender.

His goals, I get. I get it. They are priceless...but can you afford to carry his empty performances just for the benefit of those late goals? Would we need those goals if we gave a proper front three a chance with Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood? Let them bed in...that was the plan...learning to play together...interchanging...on paper it’s fuking mint...it could have been mint...it still could be but that went out the fuking window when Ole got all misty eyed and brought back a legend who needs a team much better than us to allow him the leeway he needs to perform.
Should bother to read my latest comment before rambling a lot of trash.

Here:
That's not your point, have you read most of your comments through this whole thread?

My comment saying he's significantly improved us was definitely farfetched, and that's not how I meant it (my bad really). I apologise for that.

My whole point throughout the whole of this thread to yourself, Bebe and so on, is that we'd be no better off without Ronaldo. The signs of a decline really did show towards the end of last season.

I'm generally just fed up with the ridiculous comments on here, apparently, he's the issue for everything. Juve are not doing much better since he's left are they?

BlueHaze

Some people in this thread should be thread banned because rather than discussing his performances we have a set of posters rambling on each day about how he was a mistake and how he is being a detriment to the team.

Not gonna name these posters as it's obvious to see but fyi the entire forum already understood your opinions about 100 posts back, you do not need to keep regurgitating the same thing every single day.

captaincantona

Some people in this thread should be thread banned because rather than discussing his performances we have a set of posters rambling on each day about how he was a mistake and how he is being a detriment to the team.

Not gonna name these posters as it's obvious to see but fyi the entire forum already understood your opinions about 100 posts back, you do not need to keep regurgitating the same thing every single day.
First- this is the guys performance thread and so his performances are being discussed. Second - You will note that those types of posts come in response to others who continue to say he has been our saviour and is too good for this team and how we were definitely on a downward spiral anyway? Is it not just the counter to those arguements and if so...why are you not attempting to somehow reprimand those types of posts. It’s a genuine debate. I see no issue with it other than if you don’t subscribe to the party line that he is great and has been great for us then you have some sort of agenda? You’re calling for people to be banned cause they have a different and valid opinion?

BlueHaze

First- this is the guys performance thread and so his performances are being discussed. Second - You will note that those types of posts come in response to others who continue to say he has been our saviour and is too good for this team and how we were definitely on a downward spiral anyway? Is it not just the counter to those arguements and if so...why are you not attempting to somehow reprimand those types of posts. It’s a genuine debate. I see no issue with it other than if you don’t subscribe to the party line that he is great and has been great for us then you have some sort of agenda?
When the same things are being said in every single argument there's no longer a debate. He doesn't press enough, he holds us back, he doesn't run enough, he's occupying time for our younger players etc. These are the same things constantly being spewed. He's likely to be gone next season anyway. A fact is without Ronaldo we would be relying solely on an injury prone Cavani. Would you honestly not rather have Ronaldo than Cavani?

Can Greenwood right now really take the helm as the main man leading the line up front? I think not. There's no doubt in my mind if we had another manager for the past months we would have seen far better performances from Ronaldo. When you have a choice between your striker being Ronaldo or Cavani there's no doubt Ronaldo is the better choice. The more reliable option fitness wise and the more reliable goalscorer.

captaincantona

When the same things are being said in every single argument there's no longer a debate. He doesn't press enough, he holds us back, he doesn't run enough, he's occupying time for our younger players etc. These are the same things constantly being spewed. He's likely to be gone next season anyway. A fact is without Ronaldo we would be relying solely on an injury prone Cavani. Would you honestly not rather have Ronaldo than Cavani?

Can Greenwood right now really take the helm as the main man leading the line up front? I think not. There's no doubt in my mind if we had another manager for the past months we would have seen far better performances from Ronaldo. When you have a choice between your striker being Ronaldo or Cavani there's no doubt Ronaldo is the better choice. The more reliable option fitness wise and the more reliable goalscorer.
And fair play to you for having that opinion...I’m not attacking it whatsoever...but I disagree. I would have liked to see young players blooded and our original frontline plus the balance we sought on the right side being finally added by Sancho given the time to play together and to gain an understanding. I’ve watched this club too long to care overly about a few performances here and there once I can see what the gaffer is getting at. Anyway, I take your point but I just find it difficult that I seem to be watching A different Ronaldo to everyone else...and if some posters can rant about how criminally under appreciated he is, almost holding him in higher esteem than the club itself...I’d like to think it’s ok to disagree.

BlueHaze

And fair play to you for having that opinion...I’m not attacking it whatsoever...but I disagree. I would have liked to see young players blooded and our original frontline plus the balance we sought on the right side being finally added by Sancho given the time to play together and to gain an understanding. I’ve watched this club too long to care overly about a few performances here and there once I can see what the gaffer is getting at. Anyway, I take your point but I just find it difficult that I seem to be watching A different Ronaldo to everyone else...and if some posters can rant about how criminally under appreciated he is, almost holding him in higher esteem than the club itself...I’d like to think it’s ok to disagree.
The young players are being played though. Rashford since his return have played much, Greenwood prior to getting covid featured plenty and Sancho will play much more now. The seaon is still long and our younger players are going to play plenty of games so I don't see the issue.

RepardReece

First- this is the guys performance thread and so his performances are being discussed. Second - You will note that those types of posts come in response to others who continue to say he has been our saviour and is too good for this team and how we were definitely on a downward spiral anyway? Is it not just the counter to those arguements and if so...why are you not attempting to somehow reprimand those types of posts. It’s a genuine debate. I see no issue with it other than if you don’t subscribe to the party line that he is great and has been great for us then you have some sort of agenda? You’re calling for people to be banned cause they have a different and valid opinion?
Who's saying that, we're simply defending ridiculous arguments. If we're saying the same thing, it's because of you repeating yourself.

Either way, I don't understand why you feel the need to constantly dampen his performance. Everyone knew we'd be getting a guy that doesn't give much off the ball. He brings goals, and if he got service he'd be banging in more than his current amount.

Can't we all just enjoy watching one of the greatest footballers do his thing one last time?

I watch football to enjoy myself, not to stare at Ronaldo and pick on everything that he does wrong.

SonyaCross493

We have to learn to get good results with Ronaldo in the team like everyone on redcafe is praising the Chelsea result without Ronaldo. So I expect a draw against Arsenal the in-form side in the PL to get the same reaction as a draw against Chelsea. Good solid result against an in-form Arsenal team. But no I bet it won't get praised because oh Ronaldo will be the scapegoat. We can't possibly have a good result like against Chelsea which was universally praised as a good point on here and in the media with Ronaldo starting..

there is a lot of agendas going on.. if we played like against Chelsea with Ronaldo starting it wouldn't get praised as a solid display and Ronaldo would be crucified on here... agendas

Unam333

Feel sorry and sad for Ronny and everyone who purchased Ronaldo shirts etc after his very important goal against Villarreal to get benched in one of the biggest games of the season against Chelsea he doesn't feel part of a good result.. it doesn't feel right Keane was right you don't bring Ronaldo back to the club to bench him.. he isn't an impact substitute like a youngster with pace. He either starts or you leave him out completely. And you don't buy Ronny just to spite him joining Manchester City and then bench him to ruin the rest of the lads career.. that's out of order and inhumane. If Pep Guardiola and Manchester City wanted him I'm sure they knew that goal-scoring is still the hardest part of football. And having a goal-scorer even if you have to compensate for is worth his weight in gold. More positives than negatives.

and now United got a good result a draw away to Chelsea without him it'll empower the ones who want Ronaldo to be benched permanently or to leave the club. When United played rubbish and I didn't see a difference between Rashford and Sancho pressing compared to when Ronny played it's just United got lucky against Chelsea who was a bit toothless unlike Liverpool and City. Plus Ronaldo when he came on headed the ball away a few times to prevent a goal. Defending in different ways

without Ronaldo we ain't going through to the Last 16 of the Champions League.. that Alone made the club 10 million pounds and paid for his transfer fee. Never mind all the commercial success etc

so yeah if Rangnick can't find a place for Ronaldo in the team it's going to be a very short lived Ronaldo stint. I kinda blame Gary Neville too who created this narrative that Ronaldo doesn't press.. now it's all anyone talks about.. like United press amazing without him when it's not true we never pressed well last season as a team and even last night Rashford and Sancho wasn't pressing I didn't see a difference between them and Ronny.. Cavani yes but individuals not as a team. Ronaldo has NEVER pressed even when he was 21 so why anyone expected him too now at 36 years old beggars belief..you knew that before signing him surely what he gives to the club..

I don't expect Gary Neville to do a pressing tactical comparison of Rashford and Sancho last night compared to Ronaldo all season as it was the very similar. And he would look foolish. Gary Neville has a lot of power and influence unfortunately.

case In point look at how rubbish Juventus are this season without Ronny. That could be United's future next season and then everyone will say Ronaldo was playing with crap and carrying the team by scoring goals on scraps and half-chances. Imaging how many goals he would score with the chances Manchester City create.. maybe he will regret not joining them who knows..

it'll be sad to see Ronny leave I've enjoyed seeing him back. But I understand if he wants to start in his last few years of his career and have a chance to win trophies as he must be shocked how low standards have dropped at the club since he returned. Maybe with Sporting Lisbon or MLS. Plus the wages he is on isn't sustainable as a bench player for Manchester United he's too important.

Viva Ronaldo.
Good post. I completely agree.

captaincantona

Who's saying that, we're simply defending ridiculous arguments. If we're saying the same thing, it's because of you repeating yourself.
Feel sorry and sad for Ronny and everyone who purchased Ronaldo shirts etc after his very important goal against Villarreal to get benched in one of the biggest games of the season against Chelsea he doesn't feel part of a good result.“

This is literally in the post below yours...we eek out a much needed point and people are sad for Ronny not feeling part of it???

I don’t pay anymore attention to Ronny than any other player trying to pick out issues...quite the opposite...I shout and root for him just as much as the others...and that’s the thing...I have no issue with him being back and starting games and playing abig part in the teams achievement over the next few seasons...but I see an unbelievable amount off credit being given to the guy for entirely ordinary performances - aside from his late goals. If people were saying he is offering very little by way of hold up, losing the ball a lot but he is worth keeping around for those late late shows then you wouldn’t hear a peep outta me...but people are talking about him like he is still performing at world class levels and he is not...he is being world class in tiny patches and in my humble opinion we are no where near good enough to have a player in our side that needs that type of accommodation as first name on the team sheet. It creates more problems over 90 minutes than it solves.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Seems like something that should happen to Maguires thread too.

Didn't even play and people are having a go at him....

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona

Honestly this is such a foolish comment. One of the most lame comment I have seen. If anyone abused you then you have a point, but just because they disagree with you they should get banded? It's like a five year old crying because people don't agree their dad is the strongest person in the world. Grow up man.

When the same things are being said in every single argument there's no longer a debate : If this your argument and why people should get banned then most people here should get banned because they did the same to Ole. Always saying the same thing "he has no plan, he doesn't have a CV..."

About your Greenwood argument, I'll bring Carragher's argument yesterday. If Ronaldo is not going to lift this team to a PL or CL champions (which he isn't right now) then I'd rather see Greenwood get some game time. It would either foster him into a great player or give the opportunity for the board to decide whether to spend money on another striker like Haaland.

Right my overall opinion is that Ronaldo has degraded the team compare to last season, but that was not what the (sub)conversation was about.
You said that Ronaldo improve the team because last year they failed the group stage and succeed this year. I just counter-argued how ridiculous that statement is.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Honestly this is such a foolish comment. One of the most lame comment I have seen. If anyone abused you then you have a point, but just because they disagree with you they should get banded? It's like a five year old crying because people don't agree their dad is the strongest person in the world. Grow up man.

When the same things are being said in every single argument there's no longer a debate : If this your argument and why people should get banned then most people here should get banned because they did the same to Ole. Always saying the same thing "he has no plan, he doesn't have a CV..."

About your Greenwood argument, I'll bring Carragher's argument yesterday. If Ronaldo is not going to lift this team to a PL or CL champions (which he isn't right now) then I'd rather see Greenwood get some game time. It would either foster him into a great player or give the opportunity for the board to decide whether to spend money on another striker like Haaland.

Right my overall opinion is that Ronaldo has degraded the team compare to last season, but that was not what the (sub)conversation was about.
You said that Ronaldo improve the team because last year they failed the group stage and succeed this year. I just counter-argued how ridiculous that statement is.
It’s not about banning an opinion someone disagrees with, it’s about avoiding people derailing a thread to serve their own needs. This is a thread for performance discussions. If people want to talk about all the other shit over and over and over again, to the point where they’re literally talking to themselves in their own posts, announcing their own self-importance every week, no-one’s banning that opinion, they’re just being asked to dust themselves off somewhere else. That’s pretty normal.

NewYorkRed

The amount of people on here trying to pin our woes/have a go at Ronaldo is hilarious. Saw Juventus fans saying similar stuff last year, they’re doing SO MUCH better this year now that Ronaldo’s gone hahaha.

KetilOwren88

It’s hard to judge any player during this season for obvious reasons. When the team isn’t working as a unit and the manager is sacked, the impression you’ll get of an individual player might be misleading. Let’s see how Ronaldo and the other players respond to Ralf Ragnick and his tactics. That will give us a better answer about Ronaldo and how it’s been working out. Obviously not the same player anymore, but many of his goals have been both vital and world class. Let’s just enjoy the fact we’ve got the chance to see him in a red shirt again, and leave the tactical questions and issues about his pressing and general play to Ragnick. He is a clever football man, and he will know.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
It’s not about banning an opinion someone disagrees with, it’s about avoiding people derailing a thread to serve their own needs. This is a thread for performance discussions. If people want to talk about all the other shit over and over and over again, to the point where they’re literally talking to themselves in their own posts, announcing their own self-importance every week, no-one’s banning that opinion, they’re just being asked to dust themselves off somewhere else. That’s pretty normal.
I don't understand, everyone here is talking about "his performance". My specific opinion being that he is not good enough to start every game and build a team around.

Him not pressing much IS about performance, so what is the problem pointing that out? Him in terms of ball progression such as dribbling, passing, holding the ball is below average, which IS about performance. He is only good at goal scoring.

So in my opinion (if I may have one), the team should not build around him. Second, he must drop his ego and adapt to the team (simply speaking do what Ralf Ragnick tells him to do in game) or start from the bench more often. If he does not like that I think United should sell him as soon as possible.

The United

I don't understand, everyone here is talking about "his performance". My specific opinion being that he is not good enough to start every game and build a team around.

Him not pressing much IS about performance, so what is the problem pointing that out? Him in terms of ball progression such as dribbling, passing, holding the ball is below average, which IS about performance. He is only good at goal scoring.

So in my opinion (if I may have one), the team should not build around him. Second, he must drop his ego and adapt to the team (simply speaking do what Ralf Ragnick tells him to do in game) or start from the bench more often. If he does not like that I think United should sell him as soon as possible.
Great and leave them be after stating those a few times.

And no one in right mind said we should build the team around Ronaldo for long term.

All top athletes have big ego and that's why they are on top. But saying he would not do what the coach asks him do or must start from the bench more often comes purely from your assumptions at this point. We don't need to hear that over and over here like you know it as a fact. He must not do anything as you are not the fecking manager of the club and you don't know what the new guy would want with him.

More importantly, it is annoying as hell to hear those from someone who supports 2 other teams (according to your profile).

Last edited:

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
Great and leave them be after stating those a few times.

And no one in right mind said we should build the team around Ronaldo for long term.

All top athletes have big ego and that's why they are on top. But saying he would not do what the coach asks him do or must start from the bench more often comes purely from your assumptions at this point. We don't need to hear that over and over here like you know it as a fact. He must not do anything as you are not the fecking manager of the club and you don't know what the new guy would want with him.

More importantly, it is annoying as hell to hear those from someone who supports 2 other teams (according to your profile).
Sure top athletes have big ego, but the real GOATs like Jordon still puts the team in front of him.

You have a point that I am making assumptions, but I will add that it is a reasonable assumption. If Ronaldo was doing everything the coach was asking him to do he would never get dropped from the Chelsea game. I mean it's not like any league game it was one of the biggest game in the season. You don't drop your biggest player in the biggest match, but the fact that they did suggest that the coach or Rangnick or whoever made that decision was not happy with Ronaldo's play. What's you input on that?

About the supporting stuff, I'm a football fan (yeah not soccer) from the US that enjoys teams that foster young players and play exciting football. Hence why I highly support the three teams (United, Barca, Dortmund), and United is my favorite (don't go to fan cites for the other clubs). You might say that is a fake fan but in my vision I think I'm more a fan of the club, there are too many people here that are Ronaldo FC. Maybe there are obsessed with trying to prove that Ronaldo is better than Messi (forget about it Ronaldo will NEVER be better than Messi). I don't care about one player's profile, I want the club to rise back to where it should belong and based on what I seen until now I don't think Ronaldo is the solution to that.

The United

Sure top athletes have big ego, but the real GOATs like Jordon still puts the team in front of him.

You have a point that I am making assumptions, but I will add that it is a reasonable assumption. If Ronaldo was doing everything the coach was asking him to do he would never get dropped from the Chelsea game. I mean it's not like any league game it was one of the biggest game in the season. You don't drop your biggest player in the biggest match, but the fact that they did suggest that the coach or Rangnick or whoever made that decision was not happy with Ronaldo's play. What's you input on that?

About the supporting stuff, I'm a football fan (yeah not soccer) from the US that enjoys teams that foster young players and play exciting football. Hence why I highly support the three teams (United, Barca, Dortmund), and United is my favorite (don't go to fan cites for the other clubs). You might say that is a fake fan but in my vision I think I'm more a fan of the club, there are too many people here that are Ronaldo FC. Maybe there are obsessed with trying to prove that Ronaldo is better than Messi (forget about it Ronaldo will NEVER be better than Messi). I don't care about one player's profile, I want the club to rise back to where it should belong and based on what I seen until now I don't think Ronaldo is the solution to that.
Of course, it is why you are here.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
If the team was playing better and able to control games more then we would create more chances. We create more chances we score more goals and thats were Ronaldo comes in.
At the minute he cuts an isolated figure up front due to the lack of control and creativity we have in the team, we kept playing Fred and McT and basically bypassed the midfield to start attacks. DVB came on as a sub against Watford and we started to use the midfield and control the game and create chances, this is what we are missing and what Ronaldo needs.
I believe he has improved us as team and it was purely on tactics and individual errors that let us down this season so far and not the effort of Ronaldo. Seen a few comments in this page about the lack of touches he has, goes with the same arguement that we dont control games and bypass the midfield so its difficult for a striker to touch the ball, saying that mostly he doesnt need to do anything for 85 mins then for 5 mins scores 2 goals.

I think with Ralf coming in he will ask Ronaldo to perform sightly differently and ask him to pressure the backline a bit more than he is, if the rest of the team have pushed up the pitch as well it narrows the window Ronaldo is operating in and closing down in.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Now, i haven't watched every game, but for me it seems Ronaldo does a decent job against mid-quality opposition and below, but is having a hard time against the top.

Perhaps he simply need to be rested more to get most out of him in big games, or what i think is more likely his age is showing, and you can't rely on him that much in these games anymore.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If the team was playing better and able to control games more then we would create more chances. We create more chances we score more goals and thats were Ronaldo comes in.
At the minute he cuts an isolated figure up front due to the lack of control and creativity we have in the team, we kept playing Fred and McT
and basically bypassed the midfield to start attacks. DVB came on as a sub against Watford and we started to use the midfield and control the game and create chances, this is what we are missing and what Ronaldo needs.
I believe he has improved us as team and it was purely on tactics and individual errors that let us down this season so far and not the effort of Ronaldo. Seen a few comments in this page about the lack of touches he has, goes with the same arguement that we dont control games and bypass the midfield so its difficult for a striker to touch the ball, saying that mostly he doesnt need to do anything for 85 mins then for 5 mins scores 2 goals.

I think with Ralf coming in he will ask Ronaldo to perform sightly differently and ask him to pressure the backline a bit more than he is, if the rest of the team have pushed up the pitch as well it narrows the window Ronaldo is operating in and closing down in.
Just out of interest - do you regard this a problem for inverted forwards like Rashford and Greenwood aswell?

It's just that the whole " they didn't get a chance to score, so it's okay they did shit all thing" gets allowed to certain players but not really others.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Just out of interest - do you regard this a problem for inverted forwards like Rashford and Greenwood aswell?

It's just that the whole " they didn't get a chance to score, so it's okay they did shit all thing" gets allowed to certain players but not really others.
I do believe its a team problem, the midfield issue has been ongoing for the entire season so far, weve turned into a long ball club. We lump it forward and the forward gets the ball, takes a long time to get players up to support and we lose possession, rinse and repeat. I can only use the Watford game as a reference point as it stands out for the performance of Donny. He demanded the ball at all times and used it to start attacks, always looking forward and very rarely backwards, held the ball for the right pass rather than the easy backwards option. We need to attack and defend as a team and press both ways accordingly, we are so disjointed tactically it beggars belief we are not in more trouble than we are.

MrEleson

Now, i haven't watched every game, but for me it seems Ronaldo does a decent job against mid-quality opposition and below, but is having a hard time against the top.

Perhaps he simply need to be rested more to get most out of him in big games, or what i think is more likely his age is showing, and you can't rely on him that much in these games anymore.
I mean we’ve been comprehensively outplayed in every big game this season so there’s very little Ronaldo could do to change that. You could put prime maradona up there and that wouldn’t have stopped us leaking goals for fun against Liverpool, City, etc.

stoinz

I mean we’ve been comprehensively outplayed in every big game this season so there’s very little Ronaldo could do to change that. You could put prime maradona up there and that wouldn’t have stopped us leaking goals for fun against Liverpool, City, etc.
Totally agree with this. It is really kinda sad, even with Prime Messi, Ronaldo and Ronaldino as our front 3. IF we can't get the ball to them, there is really not much any of them can do. Kinda sad that we have world class forwards, very good defense, good Goalkeeper but not much of a midfield.

Reactions: Invictus

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
The Ronaldo discussion is a valid one. However the result/inability to control a damn thing against Chelsea had absolutely nothing to do with his presence on the pitch. You were GHASTLY before and after he came on. You pressed hard, but it was so painfully disorganised it had little effect other than to tire yourselves.

Shark

@NotShark

Perhaps that's because United get painfully dominated against any half decent team currently.

Gottabekiddingme

Posts from Real Madrid fan forum literal days before Ronaldo started his UCL knockout run of 10 goals against Bayern, Atletico and Juventus in 2016/2017, and clutch performances in La Liga:

"If we don't let him go in the summer it's a big mistake. I'll let him go for free. The Ronaldo project is finished and every second he's here is harmful to the club".

"Former top player. Build him a monument for what he did, but also give him a ticket to China".

"All he does is walk. No pressure and no vision of the game"

"It's time to retire"

"He's the worst. The other players at least run"

"Is he even playing? A lamp"

"He's useless"

"Let him go already. We're better without him".

"

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We started playing worse when Ronnie entered (... because he doesn't press)

Correlation =/= causation.

People are aware Martial was our main man up top for most of last season? Since when is he a pressing machine?

Ralf is a bit of a car salesman. It's sounds cool to say you wouldn't sign Messi or Ronnie. It's the type of stuff you say to raise your profile, and it clearly worked.

Ronnie might be expected to do more off the ball. So what, he's brilliant enough to be able to start and waste a sub on after 60min. Can come off the bench in other games. I don't see the issue. Pressing isn't just about chasing the ball like an idiot, it's also about marking players and cutting off angles.

He probably knows when to press better than most of the squad. His success rate for forcing the opponents to go long is high, so he has pressed this season when he anticipated it would work.

Foxbatt

This is ridiculous. Football is a team game. Ronaldo should never be out on the left wing. He does occupy space and defenders would not push up if Ronaldo was in the centre circle.
We never press. We run like headless chicken. There is no midfield and no proper structure. You can see that against Chelsea too. You don't want your CF in your own penalty box during open play. You want him up the pitch occupying their two CBs instead of them coming into your own box
It's been a huge coaching issue and Ronaldo is being blamed for all the issues at United.
Take away his goals and we will be out of the CL and down in the league table.

Status
Not open for further replies.