5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHaze

Honestly this is such a foolish comment. One of the most lame comment I have seen. If anyone abused you then you have a point, but just because they disagree with you they should get banded? It's like a five year old crying because people don't agree their dad is the strongest person in the world. Grow up man.

When the same things are being said in every single argument there's no longer a debate : If this your argument and why people should get banned then most people here should get banned because they did the same to Ole. Always saying the same thing "he has no plan, he doesn't have a CV..."

About your Greenwood argument, I'll bring Carragher's argument yesterday. If Ronaldo is not going to lift this team to a PL or CL champions (which he isn't right now) then I'd rather see Greenwood get some game time. It would either foster him into a great player or give the opportunity for the board to decide whether to spend money on another striker like Haaland.
Not banned, thread banned, big difference, and it has feck all about people disagreeing it's about derailing the thread with the same agenda being posted every single day. Just scroll through the last 50 pages no need for the hyperbole like most lame comment you have ever seen and that bs.

As for Greenwood, first of all, no one gives 2 shits about what Carragher says. You are talking as if Greenwood is not being played which is completely wrong. He was starting pretty much every single game before getting covid so if you wanna lecture me, at least get the facts right.

Foxbatt

Not banned, thread banned, big difference, and it has feck all about people disagreeing it's about derailing the thread with the same agenda being posted every single day. Just scroll through the last 50 pages no need for the hyperbole like most lame comment you have ever seen and that bs.

As for Greenwood, first of all, no one gives 2 shits about what Carragher says. You are talking as if Greenwood is not being played which is completely wrong. He was starting pretty much every single game before getting covid so if you wanna lecture me, at least get the facts right.
Agree with you. Greenwood is not going to progress under Ole. He has been given enough time and he does his own thing. Now under Ralf he has to play to instructions and as you said he has played more than enough and now has covid so obviously he is not playing.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I genuinely do think anyone that doesn't see how good Ronaldo is for this team isn't watching the matches. The whole "he doesn't press" thing is ridiculous nonsense and it's fairly clear the majority of the anti-ronaldo posts are just from agenda posters who are trying to be contrarian/hipster.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I genuinely do think anyone that doesn't see how good Ronaldo is for this team isn't watching the matches. The whole "he doesn't press" thing is ridiculous nonsense and it's fairly clear the majority of the anti-ronaldo posts are just from agenda posters who are trying to be contrarian/hipster.
How is it? He doesn't.

Combine him and Rashford being lazy as sin and it allows teams to slot passes into their midfields with ease all day long.

JuriM

How is it? He doesn't.

Combine him and Rashford being lazy as sin and it allows teams to slot passes into their midfields with ease all day long.
Have they been assigned to? You can't say they don't press, if you don't have certain data that their managers have assigned them to press - but they just ignore it. Maybe they just haven't asked yet.

Irwin99

How is it? He doesn't.

He was doing it regularly against Villareal and waving his arms to get Sancho and Martial to do it. The problem was the press was completely uncoordinated. There were times when Martial for instance did close his man down but others where he completely switched off.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
How is it? He doesn't.

Contributing to an effective high-press doesn't mean running at the ball like a terrier a la Tevez/Rooney. In fact such behaviour can be detrimental if it's not done in an organized fashion. An effective high-press can be accomplished by having some players simply do a side-step to close off an easy pass and force the opposing team into making a mistake. Ronaldo can, and does, do this very effectively - though stats won't show it (a pet peeve of mine). He's very often, especially in recent matches, been running at one defender and pointing at another two asking his teammates too push up on them...for the most part, they don't though. If Rangnick can get them all on the same page there's no reason it couldn't work.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Contributing to an effective high-press doesn't mean running at the ball like a terrier a la Tevez/Rooney. In fact such behaviour can be detrimental if it's not done in an organized fashion. An effective high-press can be accomplished by having some players simply do a side-step to close off an easy pass and force the opposing team into making a mistake. Ronaldo can, and does, do this very effectively - though stats won't show it (a pet peeve of mine). He's very often, especially in recent matches, been running at one defender and pointing at another two asking his teammates too push up on them...for the most part, they don't though. If Rangnick can get them all on the same page there's no reason it couldn't work.
Great post, I really do think this whole work rate conversation about Ronaldo has been blown very far out of proportion. If it’s structured right and Ronaldo et al block passing lanes etc then it’ll be fine.

Rajma

Watching Liverpool now, no way such dynamic and intense tactics can work without their front three working hard of the ball. I’m sure Ronaldo won’t mind doing a bit more defensively as he actually wants to win games. In this league you don’t win big things no longer with passengers in your team, unfortunately. This applies to Rashford and Greenwood as well.

Foxbatt

You get the opposition team into a corner and then press. It is a bit like herding cattle. You show or get them where you want them to go and then put in the press. Then most of the time the only way is a long switch and this would give time. We tried one and Bruno tried to switch and gave away and Chelsea nearly scored.

passtheball

All of Ronaldo's goals this season have come when United were either drawing or losing in games. He performs when the pressure is on.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
All of Ronaldo's goals this season have come when United were either drawing or losing in games. He performs when the pressure is on.
Who else can you say that about currently? All this nonsense, as if having Ronaldo as our striker is detrimental, he should literally be the first name on the team sheet.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
This is ridiculous. Football is a team game. Ronaldo should never be out on the left wing. He does occupy space and defenders would not push up if Ronaldo was in the centre circle.
We never press. We run like headless chicken. There is no midfield and no proper structure. You can see that against Chelsea too. You don't want your CF in your own penalty box during open play. You want him up the pitch occupying their two CBs instead of them coming into your own box
It's been a huge coaching issue and Ronaldo is being blamed for all the issues at United.
Take away his goals and we will be out of the CL and down in the league table.
At this stage of his career he is better suit to be a poacher around the box. I don't understand why put him on the left wing. I personally don't buy the "He doesn't press and hold the team back" theory. Messi never press in his entire life. Not even in the period of peak Barcelona 2009-2011. He is just being used as scape goat for the failure of the current season by Garry Neville. Neymar and Mbappe don't press either.

Foxbatt

At this stage of his career he is better suit to be a poacher around the box. I don't understand why put him on the left wing. I personally don't buy the "He doesn't press and hold the team back" theory. Messi never press in his entire life. Not even in the period of peak Barcelona 2009-2011. He is just being used as scape goat for the failure of the current season by Garry Neville. Neymar and Mbappe don't press either.
I agree with you. What is the point in him running between two centre backs? Forget about Ronaldo. What is the point of any player running between two CBs? It is utter madness. If we had AWB staying up front defenders would let him be. If we had Ronaldo staying up front defenders would not leave him alone. He should be asked to do what he does best. That is score goals. It is not as if we plenty of players scoring goals. If we put the ball in the right place Ronaldo is going to score. If he cannot then he is going to put the ball in an area where another player can score. Like against Watford.
This so called class of 92 after they retired has been a huge detriment for United. They should shut up. Especially The Nevilles.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I agree with you. What is the point in him running between two centre backs? Forget about Ronaldo. What is the point of any player running between two CBs? It is utter madness. If we had AWB staying up front defenders would let him be. If we had Ronaldo staying up front defenders would not leave him alone. He should be asked to do what he does best. That is score goals. It is not as if we plenty of players scoring goals. If we put the ball in the right place Ronaldo is going to score. If he cannot then he is going to put the ball in an area where another player can score. Like against Watford.
This so called class of 92 after they retired has been a huge detriment for United. They should shut up. Especially The Nevilles.
It is very easy to be pundits. They saw the success of Liverpool in gegenpressing, so they think it is the only way to play to be successful regardless the players the club has currently. It is just like 4231 formation in 2000's when Mourinho used it in chelsea. They don't have any other idea, vision or imagination about how the game should be play, and there are more than one way to play the games. They know they can't copy Pep's possession based tactic, so they think it is easier to copy Klopp's. They will even blame prime Messi, Iniesta and Xavi not pressing hard and chase the ball like a mad dog as well if they play for Man Utd.

Edit
SInce Tuchel and Conte's success with 532 or wing back system, they will start the non sense about why not play that way without any idea how to implement it.

Last edited:

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
It is very easy to be pundits. They saw the success of Liverpool in gegenpressing, so they think it is the only way to play to be successful regardless the players the club has currently. It is just like 4231 formation in 2000's when Mourinho used it in chelsea. They don't have any other idea, vision or imagination about how the game should be play, and there are more than one way to play the games. They know they can't copy Pep's possession based tactic, so they think it is easier to copy Klopp's. They will even blame prime Messi, Iniesta and Xavi not pressing hard and chase the ball like a mad dog as well if they play for Man Utd.

Edit
SInce Tuchel and Conte's success with 532 or wing back system, they will start the non sense about why not play that way without any idea how to implement it.
You're absolutely correct that there is no one way to play the game. However, from what I heard about Ralf, he is a gegenpressing type of manager. If he is willing to maintain that philosophy then the players should follow his instructions. You can't just say let the rest of the ten players do their job and let Ronaldo do what he is best at because that defies Ralf's philosophy.

I mean if Ralf's can find a way to play gegenpressing with Ronaldo still not pressing then fine with me and I will call Ralf a true genius (never understand how that will work). But if that is not the case, then Ronaldo needs to participate in the pressing or should admit that he will not be Ralf's first option. The club and the fans should give the manager full control over his selection.

Actually, there are factual stats of his pressing. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

NewYorkRed

You're absolutely correct that there is no one way to play the game. However, from what I heard about Ralf, he is a gegenpressing type of manager. If he is willing to maintain that philosophy then the players should follow his instructions. You can't just say let the rest of the ten players do their job and let Ronaldo do what he is best at because that defies Ralf's philosophy.

I mean if Ralf's can find a way to play gegenpressing with Ronaldo still not pressing then fine with me and I will call Ralf a true genius (never understand how that will work). But if that is not the case, then Ronaldo needs to participate in the pressing or should admit that he will not be Ralf's first option. The club and the fans should give the manager full control over his selection.

Actually, there are factual stats of his pressing. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
How did Ralf play gegenpressing with Raul at Schalke oh so knowledgable one?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Tuchel didn't play with wing back or 532 in PSG or BVB. Conte is not playing with 532 in Spurs right now either. He is using 343. They use the tool they have and be flexible. Ronaldo at this stage in his career, just get him cut off passing lane between defenders is more than enough in my opinion.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
Don't really know, why should I care about it? it's the past. I will say Raul doesn't really just wait for the ball to come to him.
But again it's the past, and people just keep not reading my post but I said "If he can find a way without Ronaldo not pressing then fine with me" but if that is not the case, I want Ralf to have control

NewYorkRed

Don't really know, why should I care about it? it's the past. I will say Raul doesn't really just wait for the ball to come to him.
But again it's the past, and people just keep not reading my post but I said "If he can find a way without Ronaldo not pressing then fine with me" but if that is not the case, I want Ralf to have control
Hahaha you just have literally no clue what you are talking about, like at all. Thanks for confirming. Cya kiddo

captaincantona

There is a good interview with a guy who has worked with Rangnick called David Zdrillic and he refers to Raul being capable of playing in a Rangnick team and still scoring a lot of goals. He also talks about playing with a front two for Rangnick and how his partner scored a lot of goals and didnt press so much.

By all accounts he does not see an issue. By all accounts, I don’t see an issue and think Ronaldo could adapt to play more of a role out of possession. I just have no evidence of him doing it of being inclined to donit to go on.

Also that Raul team got hammered by us with John O’Shea and Darren Gibson in midfield...and the game has progressed significantly since then...I’m just looking forward to us having a proper direction again...I’m not overly bothered as to whether that includes Ronny or not.

Man Utd 3:2 Arsenal

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Name him The Problem. Goals spread out well and nearly all of them have been equalizers or the winning goal too, no stat padding.

el3mel

Yes he does some stupid things like those bicycle kicks but the guy is an absolute GOAT. He's winning us games, no questions.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Who cares about his two goals? He pressed.
You’d think he was the 23 year old and Rashford was the veteran striker with over 800 goals with the way he was playing tonight

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Settling in nicely with the United Way of being crap in the first half, good in the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.