5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens the Red

Rangnick made it work with an ageing Raul, who at his peak wasn't half the athlete Ronaldo is.

Why do people think Ronaldo will be a problem for him? His effort and energy levels tonight were far higher than many of his teammates. Something that has been noticeably the case a lot this season.

I think the media narrative has affected too many people. Even among the United fanbase.
it’s genuinely mad how it’s gathered momentum. As in Arsenal fans before the game saying how him playing was a good thing. The thing which makes it even more hilarious is when you consider the alternatives and this is where it becomes blatant these people don’t know football.
Injured and elderly Cavani and then Greenwood, Rashford and Martial who despite all being significantly younger than Ronaldo are all massively lacking in work rate (-Cavani) and in the latter twos case, completely lacking in form.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Most goals in top level football:

1. Ronaldo - 801 goals
2. Pele - 765 goals
3. Messi - 755 goals
4. Romario - 753 goals
5. Puskas - 729 goals
6. Bican - 720 goals

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
How can someone read this stat and think he’s the problem because of this stupid pressing phenomenon.

Non footballing IQ I swear.

United would be in the Europa league without him and further down the table then they already are.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
People should just stop talking about what Ronaldo can't do, and what system he can or can't fit in. The guy is a machine, and any system should should be adjustable to include him.

Red Rash

Regardless of how bad this season has been, watching Ronaldo back at United has been a joy.

It's such a nostalgic moment everytime he scores.

I was lucky enough to watch him live a few times in his prime at Real Madrid and even though he isn't quite as explosive as then, if you give him chances he will score.

It's been disappointing that in the most recent games we haven't made many chances for him but if we can get the ball to him more he will score loads of goals for us this season

Godfather

Rangnick made it work with an ageing Raul, who at his peak wasn't half the athlete Ronaldo is.

Why do people think Ronaldo will be a problem for him? His effort and energy levels tonight were far higher than many of his teammates. Something that has been noticeably the case a lot this season.

I think the media narrative has affected too many people. Even among the United fanbase.
Looking at the game yesterday there are other players I'm much more
worried about in a pressing system if you will. Rashford strolling around the pitch for example.

Ronaldo is really not a problem. It's brilliant to have him here.

Mike Smalling

That cheeky smile when he scored his 800th. How can you not love this guy :D ?

There were a couple of situations where he needed to look up and pass instead of going for the shot, but that is just what you get with a player like him. Also, I was relieved when I saw he would take the penalty. Never in doubt.

Kostov

3 presses all game, worst on the team besides the centre-backs.
Not sure what the stats are counting as a press, but the guy ran his socks off, certainly more than Rashford for example, he was spent when he got subbed of. Do you have the meters run stat for example? I think he covered lots of ground.

Idxomer

Not sure what the stats are counting as a press, but the guy ran his socks off, certainly more than Rashford for example, he was spent when he got subbed of. Do you have the meters run stat for example? I think he covered lots of ground.
I remember a couple of presses that amounted to nothing at the end, that was it. The stats confirmed what I saw.

He may have run a bit more than usual in the 2nd half but nothing out of the extraordinary.

captaincantona

First -Ronaldo was good...deserved his goals, much better second half and certainly showed more work rate and endeavour than Rashford. Proved also that with the right direction there would be nothing preventing him from playing in a more organised pressing structure - perhaps not for 90 mins twice a week! But still.

Being told to watch the performance again because he was man of the match? I don’t agree. Poor first half but proved what we know...he is a goal threat every second he is on the pitch against certain sides. Although some people were calling Fred MOTM and so who knows these days.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I hope his social media team was ‘at the wheel’ for that one.

BarstoolProphet

Dreadful first half, vintage 2nd starting with the chance he created out of nothing. Annoying that he didn't pass when we were four against three in the first half. I have to admit, I thought he would be the first one to sulk when things are going badly but he seems so genuinely positive most of the time like he wants to make the most out of his swansong.

MichaelRed

Dreadful first half, vintage 2nd starting with the chance he created out of nothing. Annoying that he didn't pass when we were four against three in the first half. I have to admit, I thought he would be the first one to sulk when things are going badly but he seems so genuinely positive most of the time like he wants to make the most out of his swansong.
Why? Why would anyone think this? The guy has spent 20 years being the consummate professional, working hard, leading by example, never downing tools & never throwing his toys out of the pram. Somehow poeple still buy the stupid media narrative started over 12 years ago with the whole sweet, angelic, golden boy Messi vs the petulant, selfish, villain Ronaldo. It amazes me that even after all this time, some people still haven't let go of that nonsense view of him. So weird.

Rajma

You could tell yesterday he was trying to make the point to everyone with respect to his workrate and whether he can adapt to a new style. His mentality is top notch. He won’t be able to do that twice in a week (evident by him looking really tired by the end of the game) at his age but we have the numbers upfront, we need to take advantage of that.

GlasgowCeltic

Who'd have thought the stepover showpony with no end product would become the greatest goalscorer the world's ever seen

KingCavani

It's almost like the team's style of play has an effect on individuals.

The amount of people posting this Ronaldo pressing stats like they're reflective of a lazy player refusing to help the team was just laughable. He's played in counter attacking sides his whole life and is probably the most effective player in the history of football at killing teams from deep on the counter. He's never been asked to press consistently and even under Rangnick I suspect he wont be asked to do much more than cut a few passing lanes.

Ronaldo really has brought out the absolute worst in journalists and punditry. No context, no in depth analysis - Just lazy narratives. It's embarrassing.

Devil may care

We've got 99 problems but a Ron ain't one! The guy bleeds victory juice, his DNA is winning, message sent last night, don't think he looked injured running down the tunnel, maybe just needed to drop a log, but almost certainly he can't do that twice a week, which means time for Rangnick to progress Mason as a #9 in packed game weeks given Cavani's injury issues and the fact he's bouncing after this seasonl

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's funny that arguably the greatest ever physical specimen in any sport was accused of essentially being lazy despite being in the twilight of his career.

The man is probably fitter than some of his team mates in their early 20s. A very very small percentage of people are dedicated to their health and physique as CR.

He was never the biggest problem in Ole's final months, he was scapegoated despite keeping United in the Champions League.

He isn't without problems but his work rate isn't one of them. If you ask him to work for the team he'll do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.