Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
He worked very, very hard and did what he could for the team. Those concerns are out the window. If we're honest though, on the ball he did not do at all well. Just one of those days.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I was at the game yesterday, and I thought he was great. Played selflessly, worked his bollocks off, brought others into play and had some nice touches and passes. He tired in the second half and became a bit sloppy because of it (surprised Ralf kept him on for the 90), but if he can put this type of performance in week in week out he'll be fine.

Foxbatt

Loved the lung busting run he made towards the end to defend the crystal palace run, i think it was in the injury time and those flicks were awesome.
I wanted to point it out too. It was probably the last kick of the game and he was sprinting and busting his gut to defend. RR on the touch line was applauding it too.

I would say make him the Captain. He will drag the team up.

JPB

If Rangnick gets us playing to the best of our ability Ronaldo will end up PL Top Goalscorer this season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Part of man management is understanding the motivation of individuals. If Ronaldo wants the chance to make it 6/6 in the CL, then I probably wouldn't want to deny him, but he'd have to compromise and only get 30-60 minutes.
It’s a nothing record, Ronaldo already has hundreds of them, I don’t think he really care about this one. Most important thing is, we need to keep his legs fresh for other important games.

FriedClams

The man should be devoid of criticism on the field. I think that run he made to track back in the 94th minute says more about his character on the pitch than anything else I’ve seen this season. He wants to win, and he knows that if he puts some pressure on, it might force the player into a mistake which it did. The most recognizable footballer on earth, an absolute megastar that’s has transcended sport, and he’s still just like a kid doing everything it takes to win a game of football.

We are so lucky. We made him the best player in the world, and now we have him back with us setting an example that our younger players can aspire to. Legend.

Eli Zee

Ronaldo very well may be the only player in the history of the sport that was a team's most important player in 2006-2008 as well as over a decade later, in 2021.

I'm seriously so impressed by him. His link up play, flicks, passes etc are so amazing. He's always ready and knows what he will do when the ball comes.

KingCavani

He’s ran himself into the ground the last two games to the point where I think Rangnick may actually ask him to ease off. Think he’ll be given more leeway to focus on moving in possession where he’s as good as anyone and conserve his energy for that.

His attitude is just phenomenal and he’s put to shame those who questioned whether he’d be up for the challenge of pressing. A genuine marvel of the game.

romufc

He’s ran himself into the ground the last two games to the point where I think Rangnick may actually ask him to ease off. Think he’ll be given more leeway to focus on moving in possession where he’s as good as anyone and conserve his energy for that.

His attitude is just phenomenal and he’s put to shame those who questioned whether he’d be up for the challenge of pressing. A genuine marvel of the game.
Lets be honest, its mainly the English journalists and Talk sport. The likes of Paul Merson, talking about Ronaldo pressing, he probably presses more than Harry Kane, who he has been talking up.

At 36, he is outperforming a 27 year old, who is meant to be in his prime on most metrics. Shows the level of football intelligence from ex pros.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Ronaldo very well may be the only player in the history of the sport that was a team's most important player in 2006-2008 as well as over a decade later, in 2021.

I'm seriously so impressed by him. His link up play, flicks, passes etc are so amazing. He's always ready and knows what he will do when the ball comes.
Me too! His link up play is actually really silky and it doesn’t get mentioned very much at all. If anything the whole ‘Ronaldo has to score to have a good game’ rhetoric actually holds him back in terms of praise.

MichaelRed

Me too! His link up play is actually really silky and it doesn’t get mentioned very much at all. If anything the whole ‘Ronaldo has to score to have a good game’ rhetoric actually holds him back in terms of praise.
People gloss over the fact that he's the top assister in CL history & the 2nd top assister in the history of the sport. Eclipses assists of people you think of being assist getters like Giggs.

romufc

I keep seing this. I also saw it post Arsenal game, Ronaldo did nothing but score.

People need to watch the game. He is actually better than we think in the build up, just look at stuff like the Villareal goal.

lex talionis

I liked what I saw from Ronaldo yesterday, but at his age he needs to listen to his body and not insist on starting every game. He handled himself professionally when he didn't start against Chelsea but we all know he was burning with rage inside. RR will do what he has to do, which is to pick and choose Ronaldo's starts carefully.

FujiVice

He's scored 51 goals since last December. I mean ... he isnt normal is he?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
He’ll probably want to start tomorrow to get another CL goal - who knows if he’ll be in the CL next year after all!

I just hope we rest him for Norwich. The league is more important than a throwaway dead rubber.

bakalhau

He's scored 51 goals since last December. I mean ... he isnt normal is he?
If you average his 800 goals over the last 16 years, it only amounts to 50 goals every single year.

50 goals each year, for 16 years.

SirAF

Ageist
He’ll probably want to start tomorrow to get another CL goal - who knows if he’ll be in the CL next year after all!

I just hope we rest him for Norwich. The league is more important than a throwaway dead rubber.
Yeah. I obviously want to see him play every single match, but it would be wise to rest him for tomorrow.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would definitely prefer him to come on around 60 minutes when we're hopefully up by a goal or two. Shouldn't start. He was visibly gassed by the end of the Palace match.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I actually think it would be foolish to utilize him the way we did against palace and hopefully Ralf thinks the same it would negate a lot of his abilities if we were to run him to the ground every game

That's why I'm really looking forward to seeing cavani come back having a partner who is naturally a pressing machine and great at positioning should really bring the best out of him as a combo of him and rashford didn't really seem to work that much to be honest

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ronaldo needs to not run around like a 21 year old. He will just get injured. However Peter Pan he thinks he is and how well he looks after himself, muscles age. Most people are retiring at his age so let's not be crazy. Yes he's exceptional. But he's also human.

lex talionis

Ronaldo presents a dilemma we're all familiar with. He's our best natural goal scorer, although a fit Cavani might have something to say about that. He's also chasing historical supremacy, which on some level he's earned the right to, but yet the club has to come first. He'll desperately want to score a hat trick in tomorrow's CL match but RR may need him against Norwich.

That said, because it is just Norwich this weekend perhaps RR should unleash CR against Young Boys tomorrow and go with Greenwood instead against Norwich. Whatever the case may be, CR can't go 2x/week for the next 6-7 weeks and hopefully he'll be a good sport about it when he is rested.

SonyaCross493

The Guvnor has spoken!

EXCLUSIVE: Cristiano Ronaldo and Ralf Rangnick myth debunked as Paul Ince observation hits nail on head

He told Mirror Football: "Listen, let's put this right. Ronaldo is one of the greatest players to grace a football pitch and if it wasn't for him Man United wouldn't be where they are in the table or in the Champions League.

"He's been the main man, he's scored the important goals. We need to get away from this 'Ronaldo pressing here, Ronaldo pressing there'.

"Ronaldo is 36 years of age, he still has a great physique but you can't ask him to press from one centre-half to another.

"If he did that when he gets the ball, he would be too knackered to do anything.

"What Rangnick has done, he's made the team compact so when they are pressing, they've put some alongside Ronaldo like Rashford. Ronaldo can press five, ten yards. He's not asking Ronaldo to press 20, 30 yards.

"What you saw at the weekend is he could do that. As long as the team is compact and press together then that will suit Ronaldo.

"But what they were doing previously to that were pressing as individuals from 20 or 30 yards and they were never getting there.

"You can't ask Ronaldo to do that. You want him to be fresh, he is the main man and the one scoring goals. With Cavani out, they are struggling to score goals so they need that. You need to keep him fit.

"Yes, Rangnick has a pressing philosophy that he's used wherever he has been. But he now has the best player in the world. Ronaldo doesn't want to spend 90 minutes pressing. They need to find a solution where they press as a team and when they win it, they get it to Ronaldo's feet and let him do what he wants to do.

"If you ask Ronaldo to press for five or ten yards, he will do that. If you ask him to press 20, 30 yards, that's not for him, unfortunately.

"They will work together, they're gonna have to work together. What we saw against Palace is that Ronaldo is prepared to take on board what Rangnick wants. But he also understands that Ronaldo is 36 and he can't be pressing all the time. They'll figure it out."

"I thought Ronaldo was exceptional against Palace at the weekend. It's not about pressing the ball, it's about pressing in a system.

"When people talk about pressing, they feel a player has to go to the man with the ball, but sometimes you need to press space or a man without the ball. It works as a system so you eventually get the ball back.

"He's got four months to get the players tuned into what he wants. I'm excited about it, the fans are excited about it and the players are excited about it."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-news-ronaldo-rangnick-25637681.amp

Incey is right of course. Rangnick has to be careful not to demand too much from Ronny because it will tire him out too quickly (or injure him) and mean he won't have the energy to do what he does best and the hardest part of football which is scoring goals. For all the praise United and Rangnick got against Palace, we only scored 1 goal and could've easily drawn that game if Fred didn't come up with a Worldie. Norwich away won't be easy they'll put 11 men behind the ball and attack even less than Palace did. It'll be up to United to break down a low-block which the team have struggled with this season. Rangnicks first real test.

How many clear-cut chances did we create for Ronny against Palace? I can't think of one. So creating chances for Ronny should be something a priority and important Rangnick is working on in training, as he needs service for tap-ins as he will even less energy now to create chances for himself if we are asking him to press.

I want to see Ronaldo scoring goals winning us games like against Arsenal not doing donkey work if it means he scores less goals or takes away his input to do the hardest thing in football which is scoring goals.. Let's see if Rangnick can get Ronaldo scoring goals for him. It's only 1 game so far against Palace. But if the team can't beat Norwich at the weekend it'll be 1 step forward and 2 steps back as that's inconsistency form like under Ole.

So while Ronaldo might accept not scoring in 1 game Rangnicks first game.. what happens if that turns into 2, 3, 4 or even 5 games without a goal because Rangnick is asking Ronaldo to focus on other things like pressing and not the hardest part of football which is scoring goals? Especially against cannon fodder like Norwich, Brentford etc You'll hear and see discontent as Ronaldo is going to be judged by the media and fans on if he's had a good season on the amount of goals he scores for Manchester United this season.. he doesn't want to be called a flop he wants the fan and media/press adulation and to be loved, and he doesn't get that if he's not scoring goals regularly.

Rangnick can't come out after every-game praising Ronaldo for his work-rate if he's not scoring regularly that won't protect Ronaldo from media and fan criticism as Ronaldo is a goal-scorer. And that's how the media and fans judge him so will start to criticise him if he isn't scoring goals regularly which will affect Ronaldo. So let's see what happens and how Rangnick manages the biggest and best player by far he's ever coached of his career with the biggest (rightly with what he's achieved in football) ego.

Last edited:

Apokalips

The Guvnor has spoken!

EXCLUSIVE: Cristiano Ronaldo and Ralf Rangnick myth debunked as Paul Ince observation hits nail on head

He told Mirror Football: "Listen, let's put this right. Ronaldo is one of the greatest players to grace a football pitch and if it wasn't for him Man United wouldn't be where they are in the table or in the Champions League.

"He's been the main man, he's scored the important goals. We need to get away from this 'Ronaldo pressing here, Ronaldo pressing there'.

"Ronaldo is 36 years of age, he still has a great physique but you can't ask him to press from one centre-half to another.

"If he did that when he gets the ball, he would be too knackered to do anything.

"What Rangnick has done, he's made the team compact so when they are pressing, they've put some alongside Ronaldo like Rashford. Ronaldo can press five, ten yards. He's not asking Ronaldo to press 20, 30 yards.

"What you saw at the weekend is he could do that. As long as the team is compact and press together then that will suit Ronaldo.

"But what they were doing previously to that were pressing as individuals from 20 or 30 yards and they were never getting there.

"You can't ask Ronaldo to do that. You want him to be fresh, he is the main man and the one scoring goals. With Cavani out, they are struggling to score goals so they need that. You need to keep him fit.

"Yes, Rangnick has a pressing philosophy that he's used wherever he has been. But he now has the best player in the world. Ronaldo doesn't want to spend 90 minutes pressing. They need to find a solution where they press as a team and when they win it, they get it to Ronaldo's feet and let him do what he wants to do.

"If you ask Ronaldo to press for five or ten yards, he will do that. If you ask him to press 20, 30 yards, that's not for him, unfortunately.

"They will work together, they're gonna have to work together. What we saw against Palace is that Ronaldo is prepared to take on board what Rangnick wants. But he also understands that Ronaldo is 36 and he can't be pressing all the time. They'll figure it out."

"I thought Ronaldo was exceptional against Palace at the weekend. It's not about pressing the ball, it's about pressing in a system.

"When people talk about pressing, they feel a player has to go to the man with the ball, but sometimes you need to press space or a man without the ball. It works as a system so you eventually get the ball back.

"He's got four months to get the players tuned into what he wants. I'm excited about it, the fans are excited about it and the players are excited about it."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-news-ronaldo-rangnick-25637681.amp

Incey is right of course. Rangnick has to be careful not to demand too much from Ronny because it will tire him out too quickly (or injure him) and mean he won't have the energy to do what he does best and the hardest part of football which is scoring goals. For all the praise United and Rangnick got against Palace, we only scored 1 goal and could've easily drawn that game if Fred didn't come up with a Worldie. Norwich away won't be easy they'll put 11 men behind the ball and attack even less than Palace did. It'll be up to United to break down a low-block which the team have struggled with this season. Rangnicks first real test.

How many clear-cut chances did we create for Ronny against Palace? I can't think of one. So creating chances for Ronny should be something a priority and important Rangnick is working on in training, as he needs service for tap-ins as he will even less energy now to create chances for himself if we are asking him to press.

I want to see Ronaldo scoring goals winning us games like against Arsenal not doing donkey work if it means he scores less goals or takes away his input to do the hardest thing in football which is scoring goals.. Let's see if Rangnick can get Ronaldo scoring goals for him. It's only 1 game so far against Palace. But if the team can't beat Norwich at the weekend it'll be 1 step forward and 2 steps back as that's inconsistency form like under Ole.

So while Ronaldo might accept not scoring in 1 game Rangnicks first game.. what happens if that turns into 2, 3, 4 or even 5 games without a goal because Rangnick is asking Ronaldo to focus on other things like pressing and not the hardest part of football which is scoring goals? Especially against cannon fodder like Norwich, Brentford etc You'll hear and see discontent as Ronaldo is going to be judged by the media and fans on if he's had a good season on the amount of goals he scores for Manchester United this season.. he doesn't want to be called a flop he wants the fan and media/press adulation and to be loved, and he doesn't get that if he's not scoring goals regularly.

Rangnick can't come out after every-game praising Ronaldo for his work-rate if he's not scoring regularly that won't protect Ronaldo from media and fan criticism as Ronaldo is a goal-scorer. And that's how the media and fans judge him so will start to criticise him if he isn't scoring goals regularly which will affect Ronaldo. So let's see what happens and how Rangnick manages the biggest and best player by far he's ever coached of his career with the biggest (rightly with what he's achieved in football) ego.
Wow, not sure I've seen Ince speak so much with so much sense and clarity.

Firestorm

The Guvnor has spoken!

Spot on post mate

SonyaCross493

Sources: Real Madrid plotting sensational January move for Man United superstar Ronaldo

Real Madrid are plotting a sensational January reunion with Man United superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, Football Insider has learned.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/...tional-move-for-man-united-superstar-ronaldo/

I couldn't see footballinsider247 on the banned list of sources. I hope this isn't true.. and more importantly Rangnick isn't tempted.. I think the club is happy with Ronny and Ronny is happy here (though obviously he wants to win trophies in the last years of his career). He's having a great season in the best and most difficult (especially physically which makes it even more impressive at 37 years of age!) league in the World.. he wouldn't get the same exposure in La Liga it's a dead league right now.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Sources: Real Madrid plotting sensational January move for Man United superstar Ronaldo

Real Madrid are plotting a sensational January reunion with Man United superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, Football Insider has learned.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/...tional-move-for-man-united-superstar-ronaldo/

I couldn't see footballinsider247 on the banned list of sources. I hope this isn't true.. and more importantly Rangnick isn't tempted.. I think Ronny is happy here (though obviously he wants to win trophies in the last years of his career). He's having a great season.
:lol:

lex talionis

Interesting Hypothetical: If we could somehow land Haaland in January, would be ok with letting Ronaldo go to Real in January?

Status
Not open for further replies.