Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
A man who has scored 4 goals in a CL Final. A man who has won everything to win, telling his club mates that only by changing their mentality and efforts are they going to win anything. Exactly what he was told when he came to United as a raw youngster. So now Ronaldo does not have a winning DNA?
He is not telling them how to play. He is telling what it takes to become a top player and to be there. None of these players are even close to him in their professionalism. None.
And some people are having a go at Ronaldo for stating the facts? Geez.
No doubt that he is a role model of hard work. But on the pitch his 1st touch is awfull, he rarely beats a man, has no hold up play and his conversion rate isn't good. He's one of the greatest ever no doubt, but I'm not sure at his current age he actually improves the team. He's also one of the most selfish players on the pitch, like ever.

SonyaCross493

My Captain! :drool: One of the greatest interviews you will ever say about elite mentality. This should be a case study and shown the word over!

he's calling out the bottlers like Greenwood and Rashford. No fear. They dare have the nerve to criticism him in training if I was Ronaldo I'd tell them to go look on my Wikipedia page, read it and get educated on what a winning mentality is all about.

he gets what United is about, he loves the club and it's a disgrace Maguire is the captain ahead of him. It'll be like Phil Neville having the captaincy over Roy Keane.

I'm so glad Ronny has called it out. Clap clap that's why he's the GOAT ! He could just pick up his paycheck and use the club as a retirement home not rocking the boat but he doesn't care about money he's already a billionaire. What a legend! Hi I

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Don’t assume why I am saying what I am saying. We have played like shit before Ronaldo came except for the Leeds game which has been our easiest fixtures in past season due to the way they approach the game. We have played alright with him and terrible with him. Same goes for without him leaning more towards the terrible.

Bruno is suddenly shit and found out? Rashford is a pub player? Cavani is this bad? Greenwood’s decision making is shit? Martial is a non-entity? Of course not and the same is true for Ronaldo, no more or less than anyone else. If you think these are all bad players there’s nothing to discuss.
What has any of that got to do with using stats to support an argument?

SonyaCross493

It's now facts out in the open.. There's a massive power struggle leadership battle going on at Manchester United between Ronny and Maguire (with different players on each side fighting for Team Ronaldo or Team Maguire) and I know who I want as my captain and it's the serial winner not the serial relegation bottler like Maguire (relegated 3 times FFS!!) with his we go again weak piss poor mentality rubbish. Piss off! Time for change at this football club even if it knocks a few noses out of joint for a few weeks because they have got too comfortable with mates rates.

Give CR7 the captaincy now!!! Obviously some of the players are on Ronny's side and some others are on Maguire because he's the club captain. But it's confusing the players at Manchester United with the power battle going on behind the scenes.. Manchester United should've ended the confusion and made Ronny captain from day 1 and tapped into his winners mentality and vast knowledge. We would be in a better place now I guarantee it if we made Ronaldo Captain from Day 1.

you don't buy Ronaldo and try to make him one the lads accepting failure and lowering standards which are on the floor.. It'll be like Phil Neville ordering Roy Keane about.. Atleast Phil Neville won things.. what has Maguire won!? Sweet F All! He has more relegations than trophies!!

if Ronaldo isn't Captain this weekend against Aston Villa I'm questioning Rangnick. Though to be fair he's probably ordered to keep Maguire as captain by men in suits in the Manchester United boardroom who don't understand football.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
There's a massive power struggle leadership battle between Ronny and Maguire (with different players on each side fighting for Team Ronaldo or Team Maguire) and I know who I want as my captain and it's the serial winner not the serial relegation bottler like Maguire (relegated 3 times) with his we go again weak piss poor mentality rubbish. Piss off! Time for change at this football club even if it knocks a few noses out of joint for a few weeks because they have got too comfortable with mates rates.

Give CR7 the captaincy now!!! Obviously some of the players are on Ronny's side and some others are on Maguire because he's the club captain. But it's confusing the players at Manchester United with the power battle on.. Manchester United should've ended the confusion and made Ronny captain from day 1 and tapped into his winners mentality and vast knowledge.
TBH I'd rather give it to Bruno or DDG. Ronnie's one of the best ever, but he's on the most self-centered players ever. Bruno saved our asses last season and was our best player. I'd rather give it to him.

He'sRaldo

Tbh if someone is just constantly disagreeing with absolutely everything to do with Ronaldo, chances are they're too biased to see the situation objectively.

Even if I feel his current level is not as good as it should be, I can still acknowledge his contributions or if he says things that are right. Simply raging against all things Ronaldo without acknowledging any merits is just a clear sign of bias and, dare I say it, agenda.

The opposite applies just as much, of course.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
There are two athletes whose motivation, determination and mindset you cannot question at all - LeBron James and Cristiano Ronaldo.

If one of them questions your abilities and doubting your effort, then you just thank them. You do not disagree with these people and become offended, because they know the true suffering what it takes to become the ultra-elite of the sports. In United, we have none of these athletes other than Ronaldo.

If you have a teammate who is obsessed with achieving, then it's ultimate stupidity to ignore him and start working against him. Nowadays the mindset of the youth is a bit fragile and life has become quite comfortable - first paychecks combined with overloading attention from social media break the motivation and damages the hunger of development and glory. We have more Assou-Ekotto's in football now than 10 years ago - players who just see football as a really lucrative profession.

These Ekotto's have infiltrated to our team and the soft approach from the board has given them more power and comfort to just to the least for getting another contract. I think the last, truly motivated player in the team has been Bruno and before that... Van Persie. Others just enjoy the fame or the paycheck or both. Sure, they like to play football and love the sports, but they don't have the hunger and will to write themselves into history book. Why? Because in the past the history book brought you the media attention, the glory, the love and more money, but now you just need to be socially active, "cool" and "engaging" and your financial troubles are settled with your first contract.

Ronaldo had a mindset to become an all-time goalscorer, he did. Maybe our players have different mindset - having a 5 mln IG followers or dating the sexiest Love Island contestant is something that they consider as a true milestone. I understand all the posters who are protecting the current youth and their modern times' approach, but this approach doesn't bring the trophies, the wins, the success. It brings mediocrity, because the focus isn't on the pitch anymore, but elsewhere. That's why Mourinho isn't a success anymore - his man management doesn't work because players are from a newer generation. I think Sir Alex would struggle a lot with this team, but he'd send all the moaners to reserves and gives others the chance to prove themselves, because what's the benefit on skillset if you don't have the hunger and killer instinct to use it?

So that's why mindset beats talent every single time.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Do you think buying a 36 year old, putting him on top of the wage list and change the way we play to adapt to him was a wise decision?
Three years of going in one direction......gone.
5 months going in a new direction....so far so good?

What abilities should we have tried to play into that we haven't?
He's had the 2nd most shots in the league, the 3rd highest npxG90, yet he sits in shared 10th in non penalty goals in the league. Behind players like Dennis, Son, ESR, Bernardo Silva, Antonio, Vardy and on par with players like Cornet, Gallagher, Saka, Mount and Maupey who have all received a lot less service.

How have we improved with him?

How is his 800+ goals, trophies, records relevant for us? He is slower and weaker, runs less, his finishing is not the same, his allround game is gone. He's nowhere near the Ronaldo who scored 1+ goal on average in Spain. Did you really believe he was the final piece of the puzzle for a top club, competing against Liverpool, City and Chelsea?
Well I know you did, because there was lot of capital letters, "!!!!!"-s, "siiiiiuuuuuu"-s and laughing smilies from you in the Ronaldo threads back in the end of August.

Your laughing smilies is on you and believe it or not that makes me sad.

No matter how his spell here ends, he will still be remembered and talked about as one of the all time greats.

You asked me to do a comparison with Ibra the other day, and that was a transfer I also wasn't a fan of. He was just 34 when we bought him, but was still a stop gap transfer. We ended 6th in the league that season (he was injured the entire second season when we got 2nd) and didn't play any of the semi's or the final in the EL-campain. His pressing numbers at 40 for Milan is still 2x what Ronaldo puts up here.
You need to calm down a bit, seems your tail is really wiggling, didn't know you had a thing for Rashy.

The transfer was apparently approved by SAF, the manager (Ole back then), so I don't really think SAF would have preferred to feck Ole and get him sacked by suggesting the club re-signs Ronaldo, there was a plan obviously and it didn't go well as Ole is not the best manager to handle world-class players.

Ronaldo needs better service, this season so far, our wingers are disappointing, pogba is disappointing (the usual), bruno is disappointing, shaw is disappointing, and these are generally the players who provide good service to the strikers, so if these players cannot do their job, what do you expect Ronaldo alone to do? Have you seen the atrocious passing in the final third this season, where it matters the most?

As a collective, the team has massively failed to have a good start to the season and I don't think Ronaldo is THE problem, if you do, well you need your brain checked.

Nordmore

SPot on. It was clear he has become toxic and I felt we should never have signed. Hate the arm throwing, pouting and tantrums. Many journos have commented on us becoming a nostalgia club stuck in the past, bringing back Ronnie merely confirmed that view
Agreed. I don't like the sulking and throwing arms in the air either. It's very childish and not matured at all. Imagine someone like Keano doing that ...

You're a leader you should lead by example. Like working running harder or pulling some genius stuff out not blaming your teammates especially when your own performance has been horrible. Then you go to the press to attack your teammates. That's definitely not what we should expect from any player let alone a senior player, a supposed leader, a legend.

And tbh, for me that's very far from a winner mentality. The winner mentality should be to keep working harder, keep trying more, keep doing your best, keep giving your everything to win. Not to stand there sulking and pointing finger at someone else when it's you who lost the ball. Talking is easy but it's always the action that speak the truth.

United in sin

My Captain! :drool: One of the greatest interviews you will ever say about elite mentality. This should be a case study and shown the word over!

he's calling out the bottlers like Greenwood and Rashford. No fear. They dare have the nerve to criticism him in training if I was Ronaldo I'd tell them to go look on my Wikipedia page, read it and get educated on what a winning mentality is all about.

he gets what United is about, he loves the club and it's a disgrace Maguire is the captain ahead of him. It'll be like Phil Neville having the captaincy over Roy Keane.

I'm so glad Ronny has called it out. Clap clap that's why he's the GOAT ! He could just pick up his paycheck and use the club as a retirement home not rocking the boat but he doesn't care about money he's already a billionaire. What a legend! Hi I
Greenwood is a bottler now? Are you a united supporter or a Ronaldo fanatic?

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid

I like this quotes from him and I really don't understand the speculation about him leaving the team at the end of the season. He hasn't been in a team that doesn't challenge the league title for quite a while but he's not going to quit the team because of that. He's all up for challenges and proving everyone wrong and is very critical about himself and one of the best professionals in football.

He's an old player now but I really don't get the people who think he's a problem or a bad influence for the team for wanting to win; specially after the club been so mediocre since SAF retired.

Ladron de redcafe

Good post. Agreed with you.

He's a senior player and supposedly a leader he should help other players not to go moan against them in the press. It surely doesn't help anyone and only make the mess bigger.
SPot on. It was clear he has become toxic and I felt we should never have signed. Hate the arm throwing, pouting and tantrums. Many journos have commented on us becoming a nostalgia club stuck in the past, bringing back Ronnie merely confirmed that view

Good posts.

RashyGiggsy

The last part doesn't even make sense because with that logic you'd play with a load of 18 year olds since they have more time than greenwood and the two severely out of form players you mentioned.
I guess that our definition of logic is very different. I don't really see where I said that we should play completely unproven players. I think that there is a difference between playing a group of young attackers, who have been called up to international squads vs playing a bunch of 18-year-olds from the youth team.

I will repeat myself. I am not saying that Ronaldo is washed up and can't play anymore! I am saying that he left United 13 years ago to join Real Madrid as he was entering his prime. I am not interested in his end-of-career return to his boyhood memories at United at age 36. I don't get the adulation for Ronaldo. He deserted us. I see him as a traitor, who left United for a lesser team!!

I also think that United needs to move forward, not backwards. Now, teams like Real, Barcelona, City, Liverpool, Bayern are not bringing in old stars (that is PSG). They are bringing in the best of the young players in Europe and South America. And they are developing them and their own young players. Is our goal to become PSG, where we can't keep the best of our young players, but we bring in old stars on their last legs? It might work in Ligue 1 on occasion, but it won't work in the Premier League.

mu4c_20le

There are two athletes whose motivation, determination and mindset you cannot question at all - LeBron James and Cristiano Ronaldo.

If one of them questions your abilities and doubting your effort, then you just thank them. You do not disagree with these people and become offended, because they know the true suffering what it takes to become the ultra-elite of the sports. In United, we have none of these athletes other than Ronaldo.

If you have a teammate who is obsessed with achieving, then it's ultimate stupidity to ignore him and start working against him. Nowadays the mindset of the youth is a bit fragile and life has become quite comfortable - first paychecks combined with overloading attention from social media break the motivation and damages the hunger of development and glory. We have more Assou-Ekotto's in football now than 10 years ago - players who just see football as a really lucrative profession.

These Ekotto's have infiltrated to our team and the soft approach from the board has given them more power and comfort to just to the least for getting another contract. I think the last, truly motivated player in the team has been Bruno and before that... Van Persie. Others just enjoy the fame or the paycheck or both. Sure, they like to play football and love the sports, but they don't have the hunger and will to write themselves into history book. Why? Because in the past the history book brought you the media attention, the glory, the love and more money, but now you just need to be socially active, "cool" and "engaging" and your financial troubles are settled with your first contract.

Ronaldo had a mindset to become an all-time goalscorer, he did. Maybe our players have different mindset - having a 5 mln IG followers or dating the sexiest Love Island contestant is something that they consider as a true milestone. I understand all the posters who are protecting the current youth and their modern times' approach, but this approach doesn't bring the trophies, the wins, the success. It brings mediocrity, because the focus isn't on the pitch anymore, but elsewhere. That's why Mourinho isn't a success anymore - his man management doesn't work because players are from a newer generation. I think Sir Alex would struggle a lot with this team, but he'd send all the moaners to reserves and gives others the chance to prove themselves, because what's the benefit on skillset if you don't have the hunger and killer instinct to use it?

Best post of the thread so far.

His mindset is what sets him apart from other brilliant players, and puts him in that bracket.

Understandably that it may be too direct and brutal for some.

Ladron de redcafe

Agreed. I don't like the sulking and throwing arms in the air either. It's very childish and not matured at all. Imagine someone like Keano doing that ...

You're a leader you should lead by example. Like working running harder or pulling some genius stuff out not blaming your teammates especially when your own performance has been horrible. Then you go to the press to attack your teammates. That's definitely not what we should expect from any player let alone a senior player, a supposed leader, a legend.

And tbh, for me that's very far from a winner mentality.
The winner mentality should be to keep working harder, keep trying more, keep doing your best, keep giving your everything to win. Not to stand there sulking and pointing finger at someone else when it's you who lost the ball. Talking is easy but it's always the action that speak the truth.
Fantastic post. And the bits above are key. Whinging and sulking while throwing your arms up, as you put up one putrid performance after another is the furthest thing from leadership.

His problems are not just his horrible play recently, but his leadership.

MrEleson

Neither is Ronaldo really this season. It's our lack of alternatives that's a problem. And a lack of great strikers in their prime avaible for transfers.
Better than Berbatov imo, especially when you factor in he’s playing for a less functional team and how decisive his goals have been.

flameinthesun

Its just life, some people can handle criticism well and embrace being uncomfortable and others can't. It's what separates most winners from the almosts, and its not necessarily a negative thing.

The top teams will weed out those that can't handle it. Madrid for example are serial winners and their fans will hound out weak minded players. Im sure pep or klopp will happily let a player leave if mentally they are not up for it.

We as a club seem to focus only on a players talent rather than their mentality as well. Too many of our players need to be lead, theres very few in our squad that can actually lead.

captaincantona

Firstly, there are Many more than just two of these kinds of athletes.

Secondly , questioning a fellow players abilities is very different to questioning mindset. Ronny may well be in a position to hold others to account regarding mindset, mentality and commitment but that’s an every day thing - on the training ground...professionalism.

Doing it on the pitch is another thing altogether. it very much depends on whether that athlete is still competing and performing at the top level themselves. For example, Roy Keane behaved as he did for many years because he was exemplary by his own high standards And he had unwavering respect. When his performances stopped reaching the heights they did previously his impact as a leader declined and as for his managerial ability well...respect for past ability or achievements only goes so far.

Ronaldo WAS incredible. He is not anymore. He has an exceptional mentality but he himself has hinted at how he needs to try and communicate that drive more effectively or else is useless to everyone but him.

When he is losing possession and miscontrolling straight forward balls in to feet...it would be hard for another professional to then accept his childish and over exaggerated hand gestures and staring at the sky when they themselves make errors...ya know...just because he is Ronaldo. He doesn’t get to be shite and everyone else has to listen because he used to be good. His own contribution has to be top quality before calling out others.Like it or not it hasn’t been.

He has to use his standing more effectively and throwing hands up theatrically at a poor pass...it only really works for you if you are smashing it yourself....and leadership is more then that. He is a legend in Portugal. The national team is his. It works...kind of...I personally believe they could be much better without him. At Utd, it just comes down to what he does on the pitch himself- Like every other player...regardless of what gets said in interviews.

genardk

Supports
Juventus

There would be millions of people that will disagree with your statement that no one comes close to Lebron or Ronaldo on those aspects. That's an over exaggeration. There are many former athletes in football, basketball etc. who have much stronger leadership qualities and mentality than those two. You seem to not know much about Jordan putting Lebron over him in terms of mentality, mindset..

The problem with Ronaldo is that his actions, selfishness/overconfidence borders narcissism and that's a problem when things begin to go wrong. When you are too selfish and fail to perform, it is hard to take you very seriously as a leader. And, there's always this fakeness associated with your actions/words as such people tend to give the vibe as someone who cares about his personal achievements first and not the team''s & are not sincere. I do not think that many at United see him as a leader of the team, he was definitely not considered a leader at Juve. Even at Real, fans would acknowledge his obsession with his own stats unlike Benzema, for example. The real leader at Real was Sergio Ramos, people loved him because he is the kind of player that would die for Real with extraordinary leadership qualities, and Ramos' drive, motivation was second to none. At Juve, what Nedved, Del Piero or Buffon would advise others would on average mean much more than what Ronaldo would advise regardless of trophy/awards difference.

Also, you seem forget about the important fact that these guys are training together almost everyday and spending time together. So, his former trophies and achievements lose their importance over time if some players start to dislike his personality. As an example, I might adore Ronaldinho, but playing in the same team, in our day-to-day interactions, if I realize that he is not a likeable person, very selfish etc. I would probably be disappointed, remain distant and stop caring about his advice that much regardless of what I thought about him prior to being in the same team. That's why true leaders are so rare, hard-to-find and important for a team. It seems like many players do not have the level of respect that Ronaldo thinks he should receive. It seems like there might be an unhealthy kind of jealousy based competition between Ronaldo, Greenwood, Rashford, Bruno etc. and if true, that's not good news.

Narcissism or excessive level of selfishness/overconfidence is really a double edge sword, when you are successful, you get all the praises and called a real leader/ultimate winner etc, but your true colors are revealed when things start going wrong.

Last edited:

He'sRaldo

In any case, if any player strongly disagrees with Ronaldo's criticisms, I'd like to see them prove him wrong on the pitch.

MrEleson

I do not think that many at United see him as a leader of the team, he was definitely not considered a leader at Juve. Even at Real, fans would acknowledge his obsession with his own stats unlike Benzema, for example. The real leader at Real was Sergio Ramos, people loved him because he is the kind of player that would die for Real with extraordinary leadership qualities, and Ramos' drive, motivation was second to none. At Juve, what Nedved, Del Piero or Buffon would advise others would on average mean much more than what Ronaldo would advise regardless of trophy/awards difference.
This is not true. Many of his ex teammates have come out and said just how large his presence and influence is in the dressing room and on the pitch. He absolutely is a leader.

MrEleson

Benzema was twice the player last season Ronaldo has been this season. It's easy to criticise when you're performing, when you're not performing it's another thing.
Ronaldo has still been performing better than his attacking teammates & his stature only adds to the respect he should command. It's irrelevant if Benzema was better than him or not.

Devil’s Trident

All those posters who are criticising Ronaldo are just like those players who are criticising him. Whinging , Moaning , complaining because their favorite players are being criticised. What a weird cult following we have of players who don’t give a shit on the pitch and don’t give a shit about the fans and the club. These lot would have criticised Roy keane too being a captain and having standards.
Imagine a team of Keano, Ronaldo , Cantona, Rooney, Giggs etc vs a team of Maguire, Martial , Shaw, Rashford, Jlingz. You can bet many of these posters would pick these snowflakes and losers over Keano and co
:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

United in sin

This is not true. Many of his ex teammates have come out and said just how large his presence and influence is in the dressing room and on the pitch. He absolutely is a leader.
He wasn't a leader at Juventus, he was a disrupter.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Except he's not

captaincantona

Ronaldo has still been performing better than his attacking teammates & his stature only adds to the respect he should command. It's irrelevant if Benzema was better than him or not.
Ronaldo has been quite the shadow of himself at times to the point where I feel sad seeing him lose control of the ball, fall over, take heavy touch after heavy touch or step over to nowhere before laying it backwards. Not sure what you mean by “performing” better than his attacking teammates....he is out scoring them but then again...we do always try give him the ball near the goal, that is our only distinguishable game plan this season so...in general...he is not really outperforming anyone...his performances have been generally shite...even when he does create a moment of magic.

MrEleson

Ronaldo has been quite the shadow of himself at times to the point where I feel sad seeing him lose control of the ball, fall over, take heavy touch after heavy touch or step over to nowhere before laying it backwards. Not sure what you mean by “performing” better than his attacking teammates....he is out scoring them but then again...we do always try give him the ball near the goal, that is our only distinguishable game plan this season so...in general...he is not really outperforming anyone...his performances have been generally shite...even when he does create a moment of magic.
However bad Ronaldo has supposedly been, all of Rashford, Martial (hardly even played), Cavani and Greenwood have been worse. Greenwood is the only decent one from that list but he’s generally been poor with his decision making for the most part.

MrEleson

He wasn't a leader at Juventus, he was a disrupter.
Yes, because you were in the changing rooms with him. I’ve only seen ex-teammates say positive things about him. The comments from Buffon and Chiellini were more about the other players rather than a character flaw of Ronaldo himself.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Bonucci said about his time playing with the Portuguese: "[Juventus] began to fall a little short in our daily work, the humility, the sacrifice, the desire to be there for your team-mate day after day."

Sounds like the same stuff Shaw was crying about :drool:

Acting like the Juventus team loved him is bullshit.

MrEleson

Bonucci said about his time playing with the Portuguese: "[Juventus] began to fall a little short in our daily work, the humility, the sacrifice, the desire to be there for your team-mate day after day."

Sounds like the same stuff Shaw was crying about :drool:

Acting like the Juventus team loved him is bullshit.
I struggle to see how this is a character flaw of Ronaldo or how this is even a dig at him? It isn’t even talking about Ronaldo but the other players and how they slacked with his presence. You’ve completely misunderstood that quote.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Greenwood is a bottler now? Are you a united supporter or a Ronaldo fanatic?
Tons of United fanatics in here. Nothing worthwhile about the club other other their Ronnie.

It's now facts out in the open.. There's a massive power struggle leadership battle going on at Manchester United between Ronny and Maguire
Why Maguire? And I've never heard of "leadership" being something in football to battle over. Leadership should ideally be about putting the collective first rather than fighting for a title.

Status
Not open for further replies.