Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
The top teams will weed out those that can't handle it. Madrid for example are serial winners and their fans will hound out weak minded players. Im sure pep or klopp will happily let a player leave if mentally they are not up for it.

Well yeah, I think most people acknowledged Benzema was being too harsh on him but the whole culture surrounding the club is about winning. So he could either sulk up or make the most of the opportunities he was given. Today they're a great duo, but not all players respond the same way, regardless of their talent, look what happened with Odegard and several others; the conditions are not always the best for the development of young players but it is what it is.

Manchester United is an historic club but if this forum is a reflection of their fanbase I have mixed feelings about a portion of their fanbase. Some people talk about Ronaldo as some sort of negative and disruptive force, like if the team was doing great the last 3 years and even further beyond that, and would rather cling to a manager that won nothing and finished in 74 points. From an outside perspective the club hasn't been doing well for quite a while and is quite something to see how they're making an scapegoat of Ronaldo who just arrived this season; the problems are more severe than that.

MrEleson

The crazy thing is, Juve fans who were actually winning things never blamed Ronaldo for their shortcomings when the team regressed under Pirlo (they were mostly just unhappy about the impact his salary was having on their finances). But on the pitch, he was one of the few players typically absolved of any blame. It’s quite ironic really.

Strelok

SPot on. It was clear he has become toxic and I felt we should never have signed. Hate the arm throwing, pouting and tantrums. Many journos have commented on us becoming a nostalgia club stuck in the past, bringing back Ronnie merely confirmed that view
Absolutely agreed.

I fecking hate that too. Watching the worst player on the pitch bitching and blaming his teammates is ridiculous and insufferable. His fans keep saying he demand high standards blah blah. But they conveniently leave out the part he demand high standards from everyone but himself. That I'd call absolute hypocrisy.

Worse thing is he even went to the press to dig at his teammates. Of course no one apart from Bruno would like someone like that, understandably. Which reminds me of the incident where he kicked Curtis Jones. No one bothered to come defending him when the Liverpool players jumped on him, except Bruno.

Last season the players were very together, win or lose. They seemed enjoying each other and not a single time we heard any bad thing from the dressing room. The results were not what we wanted but the squad was very positive and seemed a closed bunch. Now we're a huge divided mess, a circus and a laughing stock. All that because of who?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Some people talk about Ronaldo as some sort of negative and disruptive force, like if the team was doing great the last 3 years and even further beyond that...
Well, I don't know what people you are referring to - but, sure, if anyone is pushing the idea that he came in and disrupted a well functioning team with none or few issues...then that would be ridiculous, yes.

I haven't seen anyone doing that, though. What people are doing is questioning how much he actually brings to the team.

The dispute on here mainly goes on between posters who feel that a past-his-prime Ronaldo is a potential problem given how he's being utilized - and posters who seemingly can't fathom why anyone would question him in the slightest.

Ask his critics whether they think he still has outstanding qualities - and most of them would answer that he does.

Ask them whether they'd be fine with him staying on in a capacity where he's used for impact, but not as a player the team is built around - and again most of them would say yes, no problem.

The majority of his critics on here aren't extreme at all, from what I can see. Unlike a segment that comes across as sheer fanboys/girls who seem personally offended whenever their idol is questioned in the slightest.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
This guy should have have retired after he left Madrid and died a hero.
What are you talking about?

You expect everyone to be on top forever? Cause thats not how this works, Ronaldo not being as good now as he was before doesn't take anything away from his career, people will remember him for what he was.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
The crazy thing is, Juve fans who were actually winning things never blamed Ronaldo for their shortcomings when the team regressed under Pirlo (they were mostly just unhappy about the impact his salary was having on their finances). But on the pitch, he was one of the few players typically absolved of any blame. It’s quite ironic really.

As far as Juventus are concerned, they are more or less on the same level as last season.

That is to say, the "Ronaldo isholding Juventus back!"-talk appears to be a load of nonsense, but he didn't elevate them that much either.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
What are you talking about?

You expect everyone to be on top forever? Cause thats not how this works, Ronaldo not being as good now as he was before doesn't take anything away from his career, people will remember him for what he was.
Relax I'm just throwing a passing comment

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Well yeah, I think most people acknowledged Benzema was being too harsh on him but the whole culture surrounding the club is about winning. So he could either sulk up or make the most of the opportunities he was given. Today they're a great duo, but not all players respond the same way, regardless of their talent, look what happened with Odegard and several others; the conditions are not always the best for the development of young players but it is what it is.

Manchester United is an historic club but if this forum is a reflection of their fanbase I have mixed feelings about a portion of their fanbase. Some people talk about Ronaldo as some sort of negative and disruptive force, like if the team was doing great the last 3 years and even further beyond that, and would rather cling to a manager that won nothing and finished in 74 points. From an outside perspective the club hasn't been doing well for quite a while and is quite something to see how they're making an scapegoat of Ronaldo who just arrived this season; the problems are more severe than that.
Dude, everyone knows we haven’t been doing very well for a long while. It doesn’t take an an outside perspective to see that.

People are always arguing against this straw man that Ronaldo isn’t the problem. No shit folks, we had loads of problems before Ronaldo, we have loads of problems with him. The question was never about that. The question is whether he is a problem and how significant is that problem, given his stature, wages, style, etc.

bringbackbebe

Dude, everyone knows we haven’t been doing very well for a long while. It doesn’t take an an outside perspective to see that.

People are always arguing against this straw man that Ronaldo isn’t the problem. No shit folks, we had loads of problems before Ronaldo, we have loads of problems with him. The question was never about that. The question is whether he is a problem and how significant is that problem, given his stature, wages, style, etc.
I wouldn't be surprised if player morale dropped after signing Ronaldo purely because of the image he carries with him & this coincided with our form. A week after his signing, reports came out about how players were worried what Ronaldo was eating? That's freighting given this is Manchester United we're talking about & shows absolute insecurity among players.

Ronaldo is used to playing at a very high level with very driven players/managers right from his United days & probably used to being very strict about giving/taking feedback, however negative it is - as long as it results in improvement. This lot of Dubai-holidaying sissies are used to Ole caressing & negative feedback isn't really in their cards.

Ronaldo in his interview concluded by saying "There's a lot that needs to be destroyed to build afresh". I'd trust him on this.

flameinthesun

True, but I also think the redcafe fan base is probably no different to most other big clubs (or normal club) online fanbases. You'll have the extreme few in either side and then the majority somewhere in the middle not screaming and shouting.

The point with Madrid is that their fans seem to keep the team's standards sky high, even when they don't have a team that can compete for the champions league. So if they feel a player/manager is hindering the team they will boo etc. Its why a part of me is happy the old trafford fans have found their voice at times and booed the team. We have to support them but also let them know when the standards have dropped. If the players can thrive under that then they are united players, if they can't then no problems they can go to a smaller club. Which applied to Odegaard at Madrid, hes gone to arsenal where the pressure is significantly less than at Madrid.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I wouldn't be surprised if player morale dropped after signing Ronaldo purely because of the image he carries with him & this coincided with our form. A week after his signing, reports came out about how players were worried what Ronaldo was eating? That's freighting given this is Manchester United we're talking about & shows absolute insecurity among players.

Ronaldo is used to playing at a very high level with very driven players/managers right from his United days & probably used to being very strict about giving/taking feedback, however negative it is - as long as it results in improvement. This lot of Dubai-holidaying sissies are used to Ole caressing & negative feedback isn't really in their cards.

Ronaldo in his interview concluded by saying "There's a lot that needs to be destroyed to build afresh". I'd trust him on this.
Sounds plausible to me. One problem with that reading of things is that Ronaldo isn't going to be here for very long, and if things are quite so bad, it would take a long time to build those foundations out. So it seems possible Ronaldo would be here to watch all those things get destroyed before wandering off into the sunset, before anything has been built afresh. Which isn't necessarily a net-positive...

Ladron de redcafe

Yes, they did. Plenty of Juventus fans didn't appreciate his poor workrate and the fact that he did nothing but wait for changes to be handed to him on a plate.

They went from a team that won 4 consecutive doubles to regressing overnight. And the Juve fans - like United fans now - didn't appreciate the negative impact that a man consumed by personal glory had on their team.

Ladron de redcafe

Yes, because you were in the changing rooms with him. I’ve only seen ex-teammates say positive things about him. The comments from Buffon and Chiellini were more about the other players rather than a character flaw of Ronaldo himself.
They were as much an indictment on Ronaldo than anyone else. When you have a man whose only priority is his goals, it damages the test of the the team. Buffon and Chiellini have no problem pointing that out.

Lewnited

I still haven't seen a concrete explanation as to why Ronaldo is a problem for the club beyond hypothesising about potential effects on the ego of our other players. Is he responsible for Solskjaer suddenly shifting to a 4-2-4 at the start of the season (and consequently leaving our midfield completely exposed on every turnover of the ball)?

Is he responsible for our defenders failing to push up with the rest of the team and leaving our team with gaping holes for the opposition to play through when we press?

Is he responsible for the form of our most productive players in Rashford and Bruno falling off a cliff from before 2021 had even started?

Or maybe he's responsible for Maguire holding the ball for an eternity and waiting before the opposition is set before he makes a 5 yard pass?

The list goes on, but ultimately there's a number of way more pressing issues that this team has before we look at Ronaldo. He's absolutely not infallible. We've seen misplaced passes, poor touches and some all around sloppy moments, but the bottom line is he's by far our most productive performer this year... in a team that was already disjointed at best.

If you'd paid attention, the cracks in this team have been getting more and more apparent for the best part of 18 months, hence the 'Are we a poorly coached side' thread and many more. This was compounded by Solskjaer taking us on a suicide mission in moving us to a 4-2-4 at the start of the season and leaving us completely exposed. We all watched that Wolves game on GW3 in which they ran through us with alarming ease - by that point the damage was completely done with no Ronaldo in sight.

We're now aiming to look like a modern footballing team for the first time in over a decade. Of course there are going to be bumps in the road, but scapegoating our most productive player while we painstakingly work through a multitude of absolutely glaring issues that existed before his arrival feels so bizarre to me.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yes, they did. Plenty of Juventus fans didn't appreciate his poor workrate and the fact that he did nothing but wait for changes to be handed to him on a plate.

They went from a team that won 4 consecutive doubles to regressing overnight. And the Juve fans - like United fans now - didn't appreciate the negative impact that a man consumed by personal glory had on their team.
Honestly dont know what the overall juve sentiment of him is. They also spent poorly while he was there but in the end i dont think they were sad to see him go once it was clear that project CL wasnt going to happen.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Honestly dont know what the overall juve sentiment of him is. They also spent poorly while he was there but in the end i dont think they were sad to see him go once it was clear that project CL wasnt going to happen.
From Chiellini himself:

The captain joined Allegri for the pre-match press conference ahead of the Italian Super Cup clash which will take place at the San Siro Stadium on Wednesday night.

“Ronaldo used to hide some of our problems. He was an important player. With a top player like him, it’s easier to mask the issues we had,” said the veteran center back according to Football Italia.

“I expected a difficult season after his exit, but we are almost the same team as last season, with Locatelli and Kean and without Cristiano.

Telsim

Man's been spitting factos all day long. Came back to find a squad filled with entitled, coddled, whiny, pathetic losers. He is one of the very few with actual "United DNA" in him.

It's why I wish we had brought Conte in, if nothing else. These players need a major kick and if they can't handle it, well that's too bad. But he is apparently unfit, lest he breaks their fragile egos. And worse - makes them run.

troylocker

You need to calm down a bit, seems your tail is really wiggling, didn't know you had a thing for Rashy.

The transfer was apparently approved by SAF, the manager (Ole back then), so I don't really think SAF would have preferred to feck Ole and get him sacked by suggesting the club re-signs Ronaldo, there was a plan obviously and it didn't go well as Ole is not the best manager to handle world-class players.

Ronaldo needs better service, this season so far, our wingers are disappointing, pogba is disappointing (the usual), bruno is disappointing, shaw is disappointing, and these are generally the players who provide good service to the strikers, so if these players cannot do their job, what do you expect Ronaldo alone to do? Have you seen the atrocious passing in the final third this season, where it matters the most?

As a collective, the team has massively failed to have a good start to the season and I don't think Ronaldo is THE problem, if you do, well you need your brain checked.
What!?
You managed to write all that and not answer one of my questions.
I don't think it is possible for any manager in the world to compete for major trophies with this version of Ronaldo and signing him is one of the biggest mistakes we've done since the 80's.

He gets the second best service in the league and he converts the chances he gets at a below average rate (This is well documented with numbers in this thread). "Give him half a chance and he scores" doesn't apply anymore. He doesn't contribute as a first defender, his hold up play is so so at best, he's paid 50% more than the closest to him on the payrole, the squad is devided and we are in a worse mess than we've been in 20 years.... after 5 months with him here.
I don't care how good his winning mentality is or what he has done before he came here, not as long as it cannot be used to improve this group of players. So far our squad has been falling apart with him and his role in it.

I'll post this once more:

His pressing is historically bad, that is why it is an issue and why we talk about it. If he just did the minimum, maybe the story would be different, but he doesn't even do half of the minimum in the attacking third. When we lose the ball he moans and throws his arms up in the air instead of chasing the ball. Most chances in football are created when you catch the opponent when it is unorganized, and the closer you get to the opponents goal when you gain possession the more unorganized the opponent is. The same goes for the faster you gain possession after you lose it the more unorganized the opponents are. Now look at the numbers above and explain to me how his workrate when we lose the ball or when we in general do not have the ball doesn't affect our general play and chance creationrate.

Playing a striker like him means the following:
- We win the ball when the opponent is unorganized less often
- We play against organized defenses more often
- We let our opponents enter our half with the ball more often
- All our outfield player except Ronaldo gets a higher workload and must cover larger areas to cover for him, which leads to more room for our opponents and our players getting more pumped and plays worse football.
- We will create less chances and concede more chances in general.
...lately it turns out he's not exactly helping out with the mood in the lockerroom either.

I never said he is THE problem, I think he is the biggest problem. And an increasing one....

It's turning into a Ronaldo vs United battle, and I hope United wins.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

All those posters who are criticising Ronaldo are just like those players who are criticising him. Whinging , Moaning , complaining because their favorite players are being criticised. What a weird cult following we have of players who don’t give a shit on the pitch and don’t give a shit about the fans and the club. These lot would have criticised Roy keane too being a captain and having standards.
Imagine a team of Keano, Ronaldo , Cantona, Rooney, Giggs etc vs a team of Maguire, Martial , Shaw, Rashford, Jlingz. You can bet many of these posters would pick these snowflakes and losers over Keano and co
:lol::lol::lol:
Funny that, I’d argue those saying that we need to lay down roses at Ronaldo’s feet whenever he takes a step are the ones with the weird cult following, not those who are saying he hasn’t performed and has acted like a Twat on numerous occasions even just in this run with his blatant lack of interest in working for the team.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
How often has a 37 year old been so polemic? Cryuff in his last stint in Holland?

Devil’s Trident

Funny that, I’d argue those saying that we need to lay down roses at Ronaldo’s feet whenever he takes a step are the ones with the weird cult following, not those who are saying he hasn’t performed and has acted like a Twat on numerous occasions even just in this run with his blatant lack of interest in working for the team.
Show me a post which said we need to lay down roses at Ronaldo’s feet. And Also funny that you mention his working hard for the team when you have players like shaw, Rashford who don’t work hard who have won nothing and actually act like entitled brats. Show me a winner amongst them and then I will show you a winner. And finally if you need an example Ronaldo would have busted his gut to score the spill v villa rather than not even bothered to try and act like an entitled twat which you talk about.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
All those posters who are criticising Ronaldo are just like those players who are criticising him. Whinging , Moaning , complaining because their favorite players are being criticised. What a weird cult following we have of players who don’t give a shit on the pitch and don’t give a shit about the fans and the club. These lot would have criticised Roy keane too being a captain and having standards.
Imagine a team of Keano, Ronaldo , Cantona, Rooney, Giggs etc vs a team of Maguire, Martial , Shaw, Rashford, Jlingz. You can bet many of these posters would pick these snowflakes and losers over Keano and co
:lol::lol::lol:
You know it's bad when you have some of the desperate ones mention "but what about rashford!!"

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
No one has said that buddy. People are just talking the obvious. Yeah Ronnie has had some poor games but to blame the whole season on him is ridiculous. Him and De gea have been doing their job in general.

Meanwhile you have the likes of Rashy being supported over Ronaldo. Ridiculous. Some people even except both to get the same treatment

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
People who like what he says calls it a mentality.

The people who do not like it call it an ego.

the_cliff

People who like what he says calls it a mentality.

The people who do not like it call it an ego.
I personally think people are taking his comments a bit too seriously. It doesn't matter what he says, if his performances on the pitch still aren't up to scratch he still needs to be dropped.

If this was Rashford everyone here will be calling him PRashford.

Foxbatt

Show me a post which said we need to lay down roses at Ronaldo’s feet. And Also funny that you mention his working hard for the team when you have players like shaw, Rashford who don’t work hard who have won nothing and actually act like entitled brats. Show me a winner amongst them and then I will show you a winner. And finally if you need an example Ronaldo would have busted his gut to score the spill v villa rather than not even bothered to try and act like an entitled twat which you talk about.
He already did once to score the rebound from the shot by Fred.

He'sRaldo

A total lie, and clear evidence you didn't even watch Ronaldo at Juve.

But anyway it doesn't even matter now. He's injured currently, so now is the best time to experiment and see if other CF options can displace him.

Revaulx

Well, I don't know what people you are referring to - but, sure, if anyone is pushing the idea that he came in and disrupted a well functioning team with none or few issues...then that would be ridiculous, yes.

I haven't seen anyone doing that, though. What people are doing is questioning how much he actually brings to the team.

The dispute on here mainly goes on between posters who feel that a past-his-prime Ronaldo is a potential problem given how he's being utilized - and posters who seemingly can't fathom why anyone would question him in the slightest.

Ask his critics whether they think he still has outstanding qualities - and most of them would answer that he does.

Ask them whether they'd be fine with him staying on in a capacity where he's used for impact, but not as a player the team is built around - and again most of them would say yes, no problem.

The majority of his critics on here aren't extreme at all, from what I can see. Unlike a segment that comes across as sheer fanboys/girls who seem personally offended whenever their idol is questioned in the slightest.
Majority of posters criticising him: agreed.

But there’s a minority of posters with a load of posts between them that are every bit as tedious as the sheer fanboy/girls you so rightly call out. Not surprisingly, at least a couple of them are huge fanboy/girls of other players; it seems that these days you can’t adore one player without having to hate another who’s perceived as a “rival”. Social media has a lot to answer for.

Andy_Cole

There’s a reason why there’s a divide between match goers and tv fans. Not saying one are better than the other, but match goers do have a bit more insight. Me being one, I see Ronaldo trying to rev up the team, drag the team up from 1-0 down, being the heart of the team.
On TV they show him waving his arms and whinging. You see a glimpse of the whole picture. The media have their agendas and push it and unfortunately TV fans have no reason to disagree.

Honestly Ronaldo should be captain. I see his frustration when he’s trying to motivate the team and they all have their head down and mope. I’m not talking as a fan boy here, I’m here wanting Uniteds standards to match Ronaldo’s. Not fecking Harry Maguire who cups his ears scoring against San Marino.

Foxbatt

Majority of posters criticising him: agreed.

But there’s a minority of posters with a load of posts between them that are every bit as tedious as the sheer fanboy/girls you so rightly call out. Not surprisingly, at least a couple of them are huge fanboy/girls of other players; it seems that these days you can’t adore one player without having to hate another who’s perceived as a “rival”. Social media has a lot to answer for.
Good heavens. Anyone comparing Rashford to Ronaldo is an idiot.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

This is a pretty flawed reflection of people's views. While it's true that we haven't been doing brilliantly this past decade that doesnt mean that the club isn't ambitious. We are one of the richest football clubs after all. And it reflects in the fact that we finished 2nd last year and yet many of us didn't believe our manager was building anything special. What we also want is a shift towards progressive football. So Ole didn't care for it but it doesn't mean that fans of one of the world's biggest clubs can't shouldn't either. And on that, while Ronaldo is still a good player he doesn't help in moving towards that goal.

So yeah this whole "it's not like you were playing great stuff before" is really weak

Ladron de redcafe

A total lie, and clear evidence you didn't even watch Ronaldo at Juve.

But anyway it doesn't even matter now. He's injured currently, so now is the best time to experiment and see if other CF options can displace him.
A total lie. And clear evidence you didn't watch him at Juve. See how easy that is?

As you said, it doesn't matter now. They won without him at Villa, and hopefully they'll get back to level that saw them get 2nd spot last season.

KeanoMagicHat

This is a pretty flawed reflection of people's views. While it's true that we haven't been doing brilliantly this past decade that doesnt mean that the club isn't ambitious. We are one of the richest football clubs after all. And it reflects in the fact that we finished 2nd last year and yet many of us didn't believe our manager was building anything special. What we also want is a shift towards progressive football. So Ole didn't care for it but it doesn't mean that fans of one of the world's biggest clubs can't shouldn't either. And on that, while Ronaldo is still a good player he doesn't help in moving towards that goal.

So yeah this whole "it's not like you were playing great stuff before" is really weak
I agree, only one team can win the CL and league every year and United have been good in little periods since Ferguson, it's not like it's all been one complete and utter failure. We did play some good football under Ole, it's complete revisionism that we didn't. To use a car analogy, it wasn't a supercar like City when that's what people wanted, but it was a solid and at times sleek saloon that did the job. Now it's an old battered banger that can't drive 10 miles without breaking down.

Honestly, this season is the worst I've ever seen United play on a consistent basis since Fergie and I saw Moyes and the worst of Van Gaal and Mourinho. if we were playing the same way as last season we'd probably be sitting just behind Liverpool now, looking comfortably towards top 4. This season 7th is honestly flattering, we've been absolute shite.

I don't think it's too much to ask given the money that's been spent and the size of the club that we could score more than 23 goals in the 17 games since Ronaldo arrived, not lose 5-0 at home to your bitter rivals and make the bottom two teams in the league look like good sides. Even the wins feel a bit hollow, that Villa cup game was a brutal performance, Norwich win was poor. A few lucky ones in the CL like Villarreal too. Nobody is saying we were the best team in the world before this season, but we definitely weren't anywhere near this bad.

romufc

If this was Rashford everyone here will be calling him PRashford.
There is a difference. Rashford posted it on twitter which we know for alot of players they have people posting for them whereas Ronaldo is a TV interview without his PR team.

the_cliff

There’s a reason why there’s a divide between match goers and tv fans. Not saying one are better than the other, but match goers do have a bit more insight. Me being one, I see Ronaldo trying to rev up the team, drag the team up from 1-0 down, being the heart of the team.
On TV they show him waving his arms and whinging. You see a glimpse of the whole picture. The media have their agendas and push it and unfortunately TV fans have no reason to disagree.

Honestly Ronaldo should be captain. I see his frustration when he’s trying to motivate the team and they all have their head down and mope. I’m not talking as a fan boy here, I’m here wanting Uniteds standards to match Ronaldo’s. Not fecking Harry Maguire who cups his ears scoring against San Marino.
I think the majority of the problems people have been criticising Ronaldo for is when the ball is at his feet. Whether he moans or 'revs' up the team is irrelevant when he's been very poor on the ball in recent performances and has missed plenty of chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.