Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Great hat trick.He’s obviously not completely finished, but nor does this undo what has gone on in the last few months. He might come into some good form now, unfortunately it’s likely to be too little too late.
Not entirely. If he can take that form into the CL it could be a beautiful swansong moment in his favourite competition, and he’s seemed to be able to design his conditioning strategy to come into peak physical form around the CL knockout stages and beyond. Not sure if that’s true but it’s seemed like he’s found an extra gear at this point quite a few times since 2008, when a lot of other top players fade away, often struggling with injuries.

The United

That match was like a blast from the past. I doubt it will get repeated but it's always good to see such great players managing to pull out such games in the late stage of their career.
It is true in a sense that in those years of 2006-2009, we had a high number of matches that went exactly like this one with obviously having a lot more solid defense with some players mainly Ronaldo and Rooney pulling a rabbit out of the hat while our general play was not as good as the likes of the current Pool or City.

And, we called it how champions won points or the mark of champions(?).

Last edited:

RuudTom83

This isn't meant in any way to bash Bruno, but maybe his absence on Saturday gave Ronaldo more space to work in without them both getting in each others way. His first goal came from being deeper.

Thoughts?

KeanoMagicHat

Are you sure that evidence suggests that a team built around Ronaldo does worse than a team built around Bruno?
Well this season has been our worst in the past 3 years, when focused around Ronaldo. Also just practically, building a team around a 37 year old vs a 27 year old is not planning for the future at all. If you are building a team around a 37 year old you need to win something immediately and we are one bad match tomorrow away from being out of all competitions by March and we are currently on course for our worst league finish since 2018/19.

Pickle85

Well this season has been our worst in the past 3 years, when focused around Ronaldo. Also just practically, building a team around a 37 year old vs a 27 year old is not planning for the future at all. If you are building a team around a 37 year old you need to win something immediately and we are one bad match tomorrow away from being out of all competitions by March.
Dude, your massive anti-Ronaldo obsession is really odd.

led_scholes

He's missed 2 or 3 big or semi-big chances a game in at least 3-4 matches recently. Not that simple really.
Who doesn't? Ronaldo was always missing semi-big chances. It's not like Lewandowski has a goal per chance ratio.

United in sin

Just trying to cut through the Ronaldo-tinted bias of a lot of superfans who have some of the strangest fandom I know in sports. But okay, I’ll stop now.
Don't stop. It's nice to have a reasonable view on here to balance things out. Most of these Ronaldo loyalists put him before the club and is completely faultless in their eyes. He's been a real hindrance since he signed despite his goals. The losses outweigh the gains for me. Many in here are a step away from transforming into Sonya Cross haha

steffyr2

Well this season has been our worst in the past 3 years, when focused around Ronaldo. Also just practically, building a team around a 37 year old vs a 27 year old is not planning for the future at all. If you are building a team around a 37 year old you need to win something immediately and we are one bad match tomorrow away from being out of all competitions by March and we are currently on course for our worst league finish since 2018/19.
What did Bruno win in the last 3 years? Wikipedia says nada, zippo, zilch with Utd. (well, they say he was runner up in the Europa League, but technically I believe that means he didn't win the Europa League).

Ronaldo won stuff with Juventus. Wikipedia says he won --
So I think evidence suggests that actually a team built around Ronaldo is more successful than a team built around Bruno Fernandez.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
What did Bruno win in the last 3 years? Wikipedia says nada, zippo, zilch with Utd. (well, they say he was runner up in the Europa League, but technically I believe that means he didn't win the Europa League).

So I think evidence suggests that actually a team built around Ronaldo is more successful than a team built around Bruno Fernandez.
All good but has anyone built a team around Aaron Wan Bissaka yet?

copen1945

This is the type of matches, for which he was brought in. I trust him to do well, with a little bit of hope.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Yeah because Juve who won 7 Serie As in a row and United who hadnt challenged in 7 years is a solid comparison. In fact didn't Madrid finally stop winning the league when Ronaldo was there?

KeanoMagicHat

I am talking about the Man United team, have you watched our team this season? How can you say it’s been successful? We bought Ronaldo to move up and win the league, not battle for 5th.

Also you didn’t address the other point, what is good team building about building a team around a player that’s 37? There’s no future in it, the whole point of it is instant success. And that’s fallen flat so far, let’s see how the CL goes but if we lose tomorrow the objective of what was the ultimate luxury/short-term signing has failed.

MrEleson

Yeah because Juve who won 7 Serie As in a row and United who hadnt challenged in 7 years is a solid comparison. In fact didn't Madrid finally stop winning the league when Ronaldo was there?
Madrid had their worst season in their history prior to Ronaldo going there. Humiliated by Barca and Liverpool home & away and couldn’t make it past the CL RO16 for 8 consecutive years. Their squad also had lots of dross that managed to trim when he got there (as well as some good players that went on to be successful elsewhere).

Real Madrid after Ronaldo joined were a totally different beast and only lost the league most times due to a near perfect Barca. They were getting 90+ points in the league almost every season which would be enough to claim the title in any other era.

amolbhatia50k

Madrid had their worst season in their history prior to Ronaldo going there. Humiliated by Barca and Liverpool home & away and couldn’t make it past the CL RO16 for 8 consecutive years. Their squad also had lots of dross that managed to trim when he got there (as well as some good players that went on to be successful elsewhere).

Real Madrid after Ronaldo joined were a totally different beast and only lost the league most times due to a near perfect Barca. They were getting 90+ points in the league almost every season which would be enough to claim the title in any other era.
I meant Juve. Not that it's very relevant other than to point out that you can't compare their trophies at Juve and United.

kthanksbye

Texted in my friends' whatsapp group at the 8 min mark when Ronaldo had already fluffed 2 chances/shots, told them that now I do believe he's finished as a top player, then he scored that banger, they laughed at me and I told them he'll still score goals like these here and there, but these goals will be less and less frequent now. The savage then goes on to score two more goals. What a player, hope he has another season of 30ish goals in him. Would love to see him leave with a golden boot or something, if not a trophy.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm hoping Rangnick and Ronaldo can work together to take breaks when neccesary and go full out to win the CL.

Whilst it's unlikely, along as Ronaldo is able to perform to some good form then I'm not ruling out our CL chances.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'm hoping Rangnick and Ronaldo can work together to take breaks when neccesary and go full out to win the CL.

Whilst it's unlikely, along as Ronaldo is able to perform to some good form then I'm not ruling out our CL chances.
I think we have chance to win tonight. But after that, we might face the likes of City, Bayern, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Chelseas, Ajax etc. I am not optimistic.

For him to stay beyond the summer he needs to accept his physical limitations. He should be used in certain games, come off the bench in others etc. If he wants to continue playing every game then its not going to work.

Smores

I am talking about the Man United team, have you watched our team this season? How can you say it’s been successful? We bought Ronaldo to move up and win the league, not battle for 5th.

Also you didn’t address the other point, what is good team building about building a team around a player that’s 37? There’s no future in it, the whole point of it is instant success. And that’s fallen flat so far, let’s see how the CL goes but if we lose tomorrow the objective of what was the ultimate luxury/short-term signing has failed.
This idea that the Ronaldo signing is what caused all other players to drop form is ridiculous. I don't know why some keep clinging to it, it's bizarre.

Smores

For him to stay beyond the summer he needs to accept his physical limitations. He should be used in certain games, come off the bench in others etc. If he wants to continue playing every game then its not going to work.
That involves the club signing an alternative of course. Our only alternative this season has been Cavani and he's hardly ever available.

If he who shall not be named was still around we might have seen more rotation.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I meant Juve. Not that it's very relevant other than to point out that you can't compare their trophies at Juve and United.
They still won 2 league titles with Ronaldo, and 5 trophies in 3 years.

To be fair, even PSG loss Ligue 1 title with Neymar and Mbappe last season. Are they making PSG worst?

That involves the club signing an alternative of course. Our only alternative this season has been Cavani and he's hardly ever available.

If he who shall not be named was still around we might have seen more rotation.
Talking of hindrances, we'd be better off playing the kids than the donkey.

amolbhatia50k

They still won 2 league titles with Ronaldo, and 5 trophies in 3 years.

To be fair, even PSG loss Ligue 1 title with Neymar and Mbappe last season. Are they making PSG worst?
Jaysus, the point (being missed) is that it's silly to compare Ronaldo and Bruno's trophy hauls at Juve and United respectively. How many trophies is Ronaldo going to pick up at United this season? The point was more about Juve and United than Ronaldo and Bruno so you all don't need to get triggered.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Jaysus, the point (being missed) is that it's silly to compare Ronaldo and Bruno's trophy hauls at Juve and United respectively. How many trophies is Ronaldo going to pick up at United this season? The point was more about Juve and United than Ronaldo and Bruno so you all don't need to get triggered.
So you can't answer the simple question.

Fine then.

dinostar77

This isn't meant in any way to bash Bruno, but maybe his absence on Saturday gave Ronaldo more space to work in without them both getting in each others way. His first goal came from being deeper.

Thoughts?
I have thought this for awhile, even when you see them play for Portugal together. It doesnt seem to work.

steffyr2

I'm just quoting what you said,
But a team based around Fernandes was more successful than a team based around Ronaldo, the evidence suggests.
Do we all agree that you got a bit carried away there with your Ronaldo-bashing? I could have added the RM wins, the Euro win, the Man Utd wins -- but a head to head comparison was enough to show that that obviously wasn't true.
Nope. People write silly things, get an answer.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Do we all agree that you got a bit carried away there with your Ronaldo-bashing? I could have added the RM wins, the Euro win, the Man Utd wins -- but a head to head comparison was enough to show that that obviously wasn't true.

Do you realise how stupid that would have been? Mentioning trophies Ronaldo won in his 20s/early 30s to win an argument about his contribution as a 37 year old?

This thread is fecking nuts.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
That's because he's so bad and ruins the team so he has to come up with winning goals to make up for the mess he he has caused.

White text.
:lol: :lol:

Yes it's actually 4D chess because he is so obsessed with stats, he concedes the goals intentionally so that he can be top of the winning-goals charts. For this same reason, he insists on Maguire starting every single game. The man is a detriment to our club, clearly the biggest issue, and needs to be ousted immediately.

KeanoMagicHat

Do you realise how stupid that would have been? Mentioning trophies Ronaldo won in his 20s/early 30s to win an argument about his contribution as a 37 year old?

This thread is fecking nuts.
Yep, it's stupid, Sergio Ramos has won several times the number of trophies as Ruben Dias and Virgil Van Dijk combined, for example. Ibrahimovic has won way more trophies than Haaland, so we should buy Ibrahimovic next season as he's proven experience.

Van Persie had won feck all when he arrived at United in 2012/13, but maybe we should have bought Raul at this point because he was a more proven winner...

You have a lot of answers... yet you still haven't answered the logic of choosing to build a team around a 37 year old instead of a 27 year old.

Red4Life_#7

What a weird fanboy defence of him. I just corrected a poster who said that he'll get things done like this weekend if he just gets the service. I like Ronaldo, I'm just stating that he has missed important chances quite a lot recently.
Ok. Lets hope he keeps scoring as we have nobody else, pernaps Bruno who will step up to the required level. Glad Sancho is finding form too, he has bags of potential.

Foxbatt

I do not think we should ever think of building a team around Ronaldo. He is too old for that but the question does he play better without Bruno is a genuine question. Maybe both of them get into the same space? I remember RVP complaining about other players getting into his space. Bruno, to me gets way too forward all the time. I think if he drops deeper into midfield, it would help our midfield more and give more space to our attackers and he can also have more time on the ball.

KeanoMagicHat

I do not think we should ever think of building a team around Ronaldo. He is too old for that but the question does he play better without Bruno is a genuine question. Maybe both of them get into the same space? I remember RVP complaining about other players getting into his space. Bruno, to me gets way too forward all the time. I think if he drops deeper into midfield, it would help our midfield more and give more space to our attackers and he can also have more time on the ball.
The problem is that Bruno is only average at that kind of play and is lethal (or was) in the second striker sort of play and the late runs, that's his skillset, and it was well-known by anyone who watched him play, or watch Ronaldo and Bruno play for Portugal. So why would you buy the two of them together, typically crap team building by United.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Come on Ronnie, tonight is the night. Drag United to a UCL victory at 37 year's old and no one will doubt who the GOAT is.

Status
Not open for further replies.