Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Not seen ralf rangnick show that he’s willing to change things to get the best out of players… we’ve had 4-2-2-2 and 4-3-3… he’s played a 3 at the back formation before hasn’t he at the German clubs he’s managed. Why not try it and see if it helps Ronaldo, will probably also get the best out of both pogba and Fernandes as they’d have extra cover behind them so can focus on the attacking side of the game.

Jericho

Rooney criticised Ronaldo :lol: He should get his weight under control first before criticizing one of the best players of all time.
What's the required waist measurement to give an opinion?

Everton 1:0 Man Utd

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
An absolute legend of the club and game but I'm looking forward to his departure next year.

I just can't stand watching our constant crossing to the box like we are Liverpool with Peter Crouch. Then the only time we do keep the ball centrally and pass on the floor our players like Ronaldo and others have such a bad first touch and lose the ball.

MrEleson

His only chance of the game in the 92nd minute. Thought it was handball from Keane.

I don’t think even current form Lewandowski would be doing anything special in this team.

SuperiorXI

If I think back to when he signed, the joy I felt, never in my darkest thoughts did I think we'd be this poor.

He needs to get out ASAP so he doesn't end his career with a whimper.

Righteous Steps

His only chance of the game in the 92nd minute. Thought it was handball from Keane.

I don’t think even current form Lewandowski would be doing anything special in this team.
What nonsense, Ronaldo is finished and part of the problem.

MrEleson

What a load of shite, if we had Lewa we would be 3rd comfortably.
“3rd comfortably”:lol:

If what I wrote was a load of shite, I can’t even think for a moment what to call your comment. Did you just watch that team performance? A team that can’t string 3 good passes together and can’t play a single accurate cross into the box against a side as dire as Everton that practically lose every game, you think somehow Lewa would be great here. In fact, I’m sure you’re being sarcastic right now.

Sylar

I would be interested to see him in a finished article side that just needs a striker. Like city. Like pep would not play him vs Liverpool or Chelsea but against other teams I reckon he would be used more effectively especially the way city cut back a lot across the box which we are incapable of doing

We knew what we were getting with Ronaldo. Issue is we are dysfunctional so makes no sense having him here. And playing every minute.

phelans shorts

If that’s given as a penalty then it’s possibly the most scandalous decision you’d see all season.
If I think back to when he signed, the joy I felt, never in my darkest thoughts did I think we'd be this poor.

He needs to get out ASAP so he doesn't end his career with a whimper.
Nah feck him. He’s a major reason the sides as poor as it is, even before the allegation.

Righteous Steps

A striker feeding off scraps that still manages nearly 20 goals for the season is surely the problem.
Yes he is doesnt press, has loose touches, hold up play non existent one of the least hard working strikers in the league, a couple of goals doesn’t make up for this, it’s the same reason clubs still think is wise to spend 70m on the likes of Lukaku, look at the full picture!

lawliet354

Still done and has no clue on how to play as a striker in the PL.
Watching him do step-over is just sad now. Cannot believe Manchester United does not have even 1 functional striker at the club, remember 10 years ago where we have 4 great strikers battling it out for starting position?

Pickle85

Poor again today. Playing up top given what's around him cannot be easy but it's hard to shake the idea that he's done at the top level.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
“3rd comfortably”:lol:

If what I wrote was a load of shite, I can’t even think for a moment what to call your comment. Did you just watch that team performance? A team that can’t string 3 good passes together and can’t play a single accurate cross into the box against a side as dire as Everton that practically lose every game, you think somehow Lewa would be great here. In fact, I’m sure you’re being sarcastic right now.
The implication that the striker doesn’t play an important role in the build up and chance creation is pretty weird. Lewandowski is a great focal point for the attack to build from and creates a lot of chances by getting in front of his man. Ronaldo’s been very poor in both areas all season, which obviously contributes to a blunt attack.

Cro

To say Ronaldo is finished is far too premature. United in it's current state and Ronaldo is just not a good fit - that's all. If he played in a dominating team, he would probably still outscore pretty much every other striker. The guy turned 37 two months ago and despite our problems as a team, he is still by far our best goalscorer and won matches on his own. All parties need to move on, but he will surely score a lot of goals at his next club. No doubt about it.

MrEleson

The implication that the striker doesn’t play an important role in the build up and chance creation is pretty weird. Lewandowski is a great focal point for the attack to build from and creates a lot of chances by getting in front of his man. Ronaldo’s been very poor in both areas all season, which obviously contributes to a blunt attack.
Yeah that’s not the point. Lewandowski in the team isn’t suddenly gonna make Telles, AWB & Dalot cross better. What’s the benefit of all his hold-up play if the ball wouldn’t even reach him or moves would break down before he could have his influence on the game? The midfield is struggling to even create good attacking sequences.

You genuinely believe based on what you’ve been seeing this season that this club would be “comfortably in 3rd place” if we had Lewandowski in the side?

I’ve watched plenty of Bayern games this season. When they’ve generally been poor, Lewandowski has been pretty much anonymous too (and their poor level is nowhere near as low as United’s).
Most of Lewa’s great games have come when Bayern have completely blown the opposition away.

Brwned

Yeah that’s not the point. Lewandowski in the team isn’t suddenly gonna make Telles, AWB & Dalot cross better. What’s the benefit of all his hold up play if the ball wouldn’t even reach him or moves would break down before he could have his influence on the game. The midfield is struggling to even create good attacking sequences. You genuinely believe based on what you’ve been seeing this season that this club would be in 3rd place if we had Lewandowski in the side?
And I’ve watched plenty of Bayern games this season. When they’ve generally been poor, Lewandowski has been pretty much anonymous too (and their poor level is nowhere near as low as United’s).
Most of Lewa’s great games have come when Bayern have completely blown the opposition away.
I don’t know whether we’d be 3rd. There’s a lot of downstream effects to having a striker that can be a good focal point and sniff out chances almost no-one else can. It tends to build confidence in the team, it makes it easier to build up with flawed passing, it turns poor crosses into good ones, etc. You don’t seem to recognise that Ronaldo being such a poor target to hit in the build-up makes it much easier to force errors earlier in the build-up, because teams know we can’t go straight into the striker, on the ground, in the air or in behind. Cutting out those passing lanes ourselves means the opposition can cut out the passing lanes elsewhere, which exposes further weaknesses.

Roboc7

He was poor but who wouldn’t be up front for this team, only chance he’s here next season is if he can’t find somewhere else to go.

DaGOAT

Why does this player continue to get a free pass and protection from the media and fans? Wake up and smell the coffee, folks.

A true football legend and one of the best of all time, but he is clearly finished at this level. Sure he'll have the occasional game where his old class shines through, but way too frequently offers nothing.

He, unlike other older players, can't create for himself. And when he doesn't get the service, that's a huge problem. You either have to be able to score in bundles OR at least create as a playmaker. Ronaldo doesn't neither right now.

Yup, he is a victim of dysfunctional team thus no service
but also... no ability to create for teammates. I.e. no consistent playmaking ability. Once upon a time he could, but not really anymore.

United should ship him to Paris or some other club who'll overpay him.

lawliet354

I don’t know whether we’d be 3rd. There’s a lot of downstream effects to having a striker that can be a good focal point and sniff out chances almost no-one else can. It tends to build confidence in the team, it makes it easier to build up with flawed passing, it turns poor crosses into good ones, etc. You don’t seem to recognise that Ronaldo being such a poor target to hit in the build-up makes it much easier to force errors earlier in the build-up, because teams know we can’t go straight into the striker, on the ground, in the air or in behind. Cutting out those passing lanes ourselves means the opposition can cut out the passing lanes elsewhere, which exposes further weaknesses.
Excellent post, looks like people here couldn't remember what it feels like having a good striker, because it's been a long time since we had one.

At the very least we should have one that doesn't lose the ball with slightest press from the opposition.

MrEleson

Have you seen some of the crosses from our fullbacks? Many don’t even enter the box. They just go from one side to the other like they’re switching play. I don’t see how he would sniff chances from those. As for the rest, I get your point but I think you’re overstating how much impact Lewa would have on this team. Like I said, I’ve watched many games where Bayern have struggled this season and he was pretty anonymous when the midfield were unable to get the ball to him. I mean we can’t even get the ball to Ronaldo most times, so his hold-up play being inadequate can’t even be the main factor why we’re struggling with him upfront.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He was poor but who wouldn’t be up front for this team, only chance he’s here next season is if he can’t find somewhere else to go.
Likewise the team won't be good without a striker with any hold up play or passing.

He was a legendary winger but not a legendary striker - especially not at the age of 37 in my opinion.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Let's be honest, this team was never this lazy and his lack of workrate off the ball has contributed to it.

Brwned

Have you seen some of the crosses from our fullbacks? Many don’t even enter the box. They just go from one side to the other like they’re switching play. I don’t see how he would sniff chances from those. As for the rest, I get your point but I think you’re overstating how much impact Lewa would have on this team. Like I said, I’ve watched many games where Bayern have struggled this season and he was pretty anonymous when the midfield were unable to get the ball to him. I mean we can’t even get the ball to Ronaldo most times, so his hold-up play being inadequate can’t even be the main factor why we’re struggling with him upfront.
We can’t get it into Ronaldo because he can’t receive the ball under any pressure in the air, on the ground or in behind. Lewandowski is completely the opposite. You’re just ignoring the fact that this is a vital role for a striker to play, acting as if Lewandowski’s just lucky to get great service, rather than appreciating the fact he makes passes possible because he’s very good with a defender breathing down his neck, very good in the air, and he has brilliant control. That very presence creates doubt in the opposition’s mind and gives him those little pockets of space to make himself available in the build-up, draw in the opposition, and progress the play. Ronaldo’s the exact opposite of that this season. If your striker isn’t available as a target nor capable as a playmaker then you have to work very hard to get the ball forward.

Xanther

Assuming he leaves, I think the only options he has are Milan, Inter, Chelsea and PSG. Those are still good options, and if he has as much control over his contract as he did a year ago, wouldn't even rule out a move to City.

Everyone looks rubbish with us, I expect his level to go back to roughly what it was with Juve if he joins the right team.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Awful. Signing him caused so many problems for us. But what can you expect from #throwbackFC, or #nostalgiaFC. He can’t even do the basics anymore.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
What are his strengths? Does he physically trouble defenders in behind? Can he hold the ball up? Is he a danger when facing and running at defenders? Is he a pressing machine? Is his workrate down the channels infectious? Does he offer an out ball? Is he immense at linking play ala Kane? What as a number 9 does he actually offer? Goals are what he offers right? Except not really. Not anymore. That’s a lot of questions…

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Was actually one of his better games for us I thought. Didn't feck up too much and actually beat a man a few times.

MrEleson

We can’t get it into Ronaldo because he can’t receive the ball under any pressure in the air, on the ground or in behind. Lewandowski is completely the opposite. You’re just ignoring the fact that this is a vital role for a striker to play, acting as if Lewandowski’s just lucky to get great service, rather than appreciating the fact he makes passes possible because he’s very good with a defender breathing down his neck, very good in the air, and he has brilliant control. That very presence creates doubt in the opposition’s mind and gives him those little pockets of space to make himself available in the build-up, draw in the opposition, and progress the play. Ronaldo’s the exact opposite of that this season. If your striker isn’t available as a target nor capable as a playmaker then you have to work very hard to get the ball forward.
Yes his hold up play is better than Ronaldo’s but its hard to say how much better Lewandowski would be in this team considering:

1. He plays in an easier league where the defenders are far less physical and give him more space.

2. He plays in a far superior team that can actually combine the ball, create cutting edge chances and make accurate crosses.

What I can say though is that we definitely wouldn’t be gunning for 3rd with him here with how bottom of the barrel the rest of the side has been.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes his hold up play is better than Ronaldo’s but its hard to say how much better Lewandowski would be in this team considering:

1. He plays in an easier league where the defenders are far less physical and give him more space.

2. He plays in a far superior team that can actually combine the ball, create cutting edge chances and make accurate crosses.

What I can say though is that we definitely wouldn’t be gunning for 3rd with him here with how bottom of the barrel the rest of the side has been.
The only we can say with surety is that we would be better with a much better striker in Lewandowski. While the CG suffers from having worse players around him, the rest of the team suffers from having a CF who is past his physical peak, can't hold up the ball, general play is weak etc

KeanoMagicHat

It must be tiring defending him after every match with a new narrative. Lewandowski is superior to current Ronaldo in pretty much all important aspects of the game and helps his overall team performance significantly more than Ronaldo. And we would be top 4 with 33 year old Ronaldo but this version is not the only problem but is still an issue. It’s just not clicking with this team, for whatever reason. Best for both to just go separate ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.