5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volksie316

With Ronaldo likely to miss tomorrow’s game now, what do we go with?

Sancho… Rashford… Elanga

That’s my guess anyway.

troylocker

Yes it is, for next season anyway.
Priority
1. Build a proper midfield by getting in a quality defensive mid and deep lying playmaker
2. Sort the full back problem out.
Promote Laird, Alvaro and get Shaw fit again. Sell AWB, Telles, Dalot and get a new RB.
3. Replace Maguire.
4. Bring in a young ST as rotation option (less important if selling Martial turns out to be impossible).

Once the first 3 priorities are sorted our team's consistency and functionality will improve, and Ronaldo will benefit as the focal point. That's not to say we don't need a 2nd centre forward, but Ronaldo is still good enough and we should try and keep hold of him whilst we work on the bigger issues.
His 2 brilliant hattricks, that gave us 2 very important wins in matches where we struggled as a team, was great, but.........

His other 14 matches for us in 2022:
1 goal in 1198 minutes, 0 assists.

He's still got the lowest pressing numbers for midfielders and attackers in the league.
In general our play suffers with his player profile in the team.

I wouldn't mind keeping him as a backup/rotation option, because he's shown recently that he's still got some great goals in him, but he cannot be a regular starter.

Last edited:

bren_84

For me, he’s entitled to do that as a kid from the Iberian Peninsula who doubtless dreamt of playing for Real all his life.
he is not from the "Iberian Peninsula" though. He is from Maderia which is an island on the west coast of Morocco and around 1000km from the algarve coastline

MalaysianRed7

he is not from the "Iberian Peninsula" though. He is from Maderia which is an island on the west coast of Morocco and around 1000km from the algarve coastline
Bugger, I thought that was shared by Spain and Portugal and that was it :lol:

But still, as a boy from Portugal, his dream would probably have been to play for Real. Who can begrudge him of that?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Messi xA90: 0.41
Ronaldo xA90: 0.16

Ronaldo's team mates are worse finishers but he also creates significantly less chances. But I generally think it is a good thing that we start looking at chance creation and move away from solely considering goal records because that way of assessing things clearly put Messi in a disadvantage ;)

bren_84

But still, as a boy from Portugal, his dream would probably have been to play for Real. Who can begrudge him of that?
Agreed!

and sorry to be pedantic.. it is still technically 'Portugal' but more so in the same way that Hawaii is in the USA :)

TsuWave

Messi xA90: 0.41
Ronaldo xA90: 0.16
I don’t know what this means. Sound like Tesla car models. I don’t assess football with this nerdy metrics. No offence.

and I didn’t post it to necessarily be a comparison between Messi and Ronaldo. I was surprised at a decent amount of chances he’s created, good ones, that we just didn’t bury. You can completely disregard the Messi part

troylocker

A video showing PSG-players scoring and United-players missing to prove United players are crap at finishing and elevate Ronaldo above the rest of the team.....wow!

Christiano has 0,16 expected assists per 90 in the PL this season.
3,71 expected assists in 2108 minutes total this season - his teammates have converted 3 goals from Ronaldo passes/bad first-touches (McTominay). So underperforming by 0,71 goals total this season from chances created by Ronaldo. Almost a whole goal of chances missed total this season. Man United players (- Ronaldo) has marginally overperformed their non penalty expected goals this season (0,56 goals total -> approx +1%). While Ronaldo himself has underperformed his npxG slightly (0,71 non penalty goals total -> - 5,5%)

Messi has 0,41 expected assists per 90 in Ligue 1 this season.
7,75 expected assists in 1705 minutes total this season - his teammates have converted 12 goals from Messi's passes. So overperforming by 4,25 goals total this season from chances created by Messi. PSG players (- Messi) has overperformed their non penalty expected goals this season (6,23 goals total -> approx +10%). Messi himself has underperformed massively when it comes to finishing this season (4,60 non penalty goals total -> - 65%).

There is no doubt who is the better of the 2 at providing service for his teammates. PSG-players has only been slightly better finishers than United players though (both slightly above average), so the video proves absolutely nothing and carries zero weight. Who the hell buys into this kind of sh*t?

Messi's finishing has been a disaster this season though (Rock bottom of the list for Ligue 1 at npG vs. npxG for attackers with 500 minutes or more), while Ronaldo the last three games has turned this around from horrible to slightly below average with his two hattricks.

The battle between Ronaldo and Messi is becoming less interesting and relevant by the day though, because none of them are among the best on the planet anymore and both of them are burdens for their respective teams.

L1nk

He's definitely not playing tonight - understandably. Which means either False 9 or, Rashford?

Red the Bear

Something less generic

He's definitely not playing tonight - understandably. Which means either False 9 or, Rashford?
As fan I wanted to see him badly, but he has every right in the world to take some days of and grief in peace, wish him well.
Our attacking situation is kinda screwed up now , we might have to start lingard.

TsuWave

A video showing PSG-players scoring and United-players missing to prove United players are crap at finishing and elevate Ronaldo above the rest of the team.....wow!
You typed a lot of stuff - that I didn’t read - you could have saved yourself the time by reading the paragraph above your post:

I didn’t post it to necessarily be a comparison between Messi and Ronaldo. I was surprised at a decent amount of chances he’s created, good ones, that we just didn’t bury. You can completely disregard the Messi part
“wow!”

troylocker

You typed a lot of stuff - that I didn’t read - you could have saved yourself the time by reading the paragraph above your post:

“wow!”
Here is the simplified verson for you:

He does provide some chance creation, yes, and maybe he should have 1 assist more this season total. That wouldn't be unfair.
His teammates has on average been better than him at converting chances this season (some better and some worse, 3 weeks ago all better).....

bakalhau

Ronaldo's passing in the final third isn't actually bad at this age and his creativity is still there, albeit well, much less than his first stint at United where he'd come up with all sorts of stuff. But looking at that video it's just another reason where from an attacking perspective I'd rather he wasn't a static number 9 waiting for crosses. His little flicks, one touch passing is still nice, and there's several examples on that video where he smoothly leaves a teammate completely alone to have a go. I think it's something that should be explored more. I don't mean he should be a focus point for build up, but he has an ease of passing a ball in all kinds of manners. I think with the right dynamics and strategy and team movements, we could exploit this positive side of him more.

TsuWave

Here is the simplified verson for you:

He does provide some chance creation, yes, and maybe he should have 1 assist more this season total. That wouldn't be unfair.
His teammates has on average been better than him at converting chances this season (some better and some worse, 3 weeks ago all better).....
Again, I didn’t post that for comparison with his team mates nor Messi. I don’t judge football on nerdy stats like xg or w/e people are using. Keep your unwarranted simplified version. I watched the video and was surprised at the amount of chances he has created that we didn’t actually bury and shared the video. It wasn’t an indictment on not crusade against his team-mates. Any hang-ups on this are entirely on your part. Not everything has to be confrontational.

MalaysianRed7

Agreed!

and sorry to be pedantic.. it is still technically 'Portugal' but more so in the same way that Hawaii is in the USA :)
No worries man!

On a side note, shame he’s not playing tonight but he has to take as much time off as he needs, and if it’s the rest of the season, so be it. Can’t think of anything worse that a person can go through. Prayers up for him and Georgina, and big thanks to him if he’s played his last ever game for us with the reports about Ten Hag not wanting him. Legend.

TheReligion

Abusive
The haters are clearly absent in the thread about the tragic news he’s received.

Can’t even muster something human.

Pathetic cretins

OleksUsykUD

This is exactly what i was talking about. Just see his period in Juve, absolutely the same thing. He is surrounded by terrible players, and most importantly with terrible end product and finisher. I constantly see match after match that we don't know how to build a proper attack, and how to connect our team to the striker, which is super important in every single team.

Ronaldo constantly wants the ball, when it's in free space, but our players just do 1-2-3 more touches, and when they bring their head from the grass, it's already too late to give the pass, and he is marked.

Comparing the chances in the video, it's clear as day, that Ronaldo chances are more clean. PSG players have to beat 1on1 player, or have to deliver top notch touches or finishing, or GK errors. You give a perfect proof, undeniable video, yet the guy is trying to argue with you, with some statistics, xd, xa, and all that kind of nonsenses.

Stats is just a raw data, it doesn't tell you the real picture. The real picture is in that video, clear proof. But Ronaldo haters or Messi fanboys are so biased, they can't see further than their nose.

I guess it's Ronaldo fault that we lost 4-0 tonight. His lack of pressing what the problem, right?

RepardReece

This is exactly what i was talking about. Just see his period in Juve, absolutely the same thing. He is surrounded by terrible players, and most importantly with terrible end product and finisher. I constantly see match after match that we don't know how to build a proper attack, and how to connect our team to the striker, which is super important in every single team.

Ronaldo constantly wants the ball, when it's in free space, but our players just do 1-2-3 more touches, and when they bring their head from the grass, it's already too late to give the pass, and he is marked.

Comparing the chances in the video, it's clear as day, that Ronaldo chances are more clean. PSG players have to beat 1on1 player, or have to deliver top notch touches or finishing, or GK errors. You give a perfect proof, undeniable video, yet the guy is trying to argue with you, with some statistics, xd, xa, and all that kind of nonsenses.

Stats is just a raw data, it doesn't tell you the real picture. The real picture is in that video, clear proof. But Ronaldo haters or Messi fanboys are so biased, they can't see further than their nose.

I guess it's Ronaldo fault that we lost 4-0 tonight. His lack of pressing what the problem, right?
Anyone who says Ronaldo is the problem after seeing that needs to be banned from this forum for lack of a brain.

These players are the worst I've ever seen, get Klopp in to manage them, we'll still be going nowhere.

Any other team in the world puts in more effort than our lot tonight.

AndySmith1990

Anyone who says Ronaldo is the problem after seeing that needs to be banned from this forum for lack of a brain.

These players are the worst I've ever seen, get Klopp in to manage them, we'll still be going nowhere.
Fully agree with that line. I honestly believe our only hope from here is a complete rebuild; at least 50-60% turnover of players in one window. A full culture reset

OleksUsykUD

Any other team in the world puts in more effort than our lot tonight.
I wanted to quote TsuWave, but since i'm a newbie i couldn't, cause of the media, but i think people understand what i mean.

You are 100% correct, but also changing below average managers with below average managers ain't helping.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
@amolbhatia50k, @Pogue Mahone, @Ali Dia I genuinely want to know if you all still think Ronaldo is the problem or if you underestimated how poor this teams structure is for any striker.

I'm not trying to Instigate anything just want the actual opinion of those who have been critical of Ronaldo.
I always knew going into this season our team was just a lot of hype and regularly being held together by 3/4 genuinely hardworking players (Fred Cavani Bruno more or less) I didn’t and still don’t see Ronaldo as a step in the right direction given the nature of our issues (lack of workrate and pressing, poor cross completion etc) but even for his drought and the child phone drama he’s still easily been in our top 3 best players in an awful season. He’s shed some light on the increasingly low standards behind the scenes. He’s brought much needed attention onto those players who aren’t really here to win, more to coast along building brands and con the fans while pocketing major money. I think he’s also shown the owners up for what they really are. Cynical opportunists who really don’t understand the sport.

Would he be doing better in a slicker team? Almost certainly. Was he right player for us? I still really don’t think so. The squad fell apart as soon as the Ronaldo show rolled into town. I don’t like or care about the squad anymore but I don’t think it was a coincidence. When Ronaldo loses stuff gets toxic fast. Too many of our players are soft and it was always going to cause major problems. It’s also pretty obvious these guys, especially the forwards, do not like playing with each other. Ronadlo Greenwood Rashford? Where’s the creativity and work rate going to come from?

Last edited:

GOAT 777

Supports
Portugal, Sporting
My friend, Madeira (pronounced Ma-day-ra, not "maderia" :D ) is almost as far from Morocco (635 km) as from Mainland Portugal (795 km), I know it's just rhetoric but that makes it sound like we took it from Morocco. :D

Agreed!

Madeira is not anywhere as far as the Hawaii is from the USA (795km vs 3679km), that's almost 5 times farther away.

Madeira is not only technically Portugal, it is Portugal in all aspects, the islands had never been inhabited before when we got there in 1418.

99% of people living in the islands can trace their ancestors back to mainland Portugal as all settlers came from the mainland and they share everything with us just like people from Açores do. We all speak exactly the same language.

Hawaii is a completely different story because the islands were inhabited by Polynesians before Europeans arrived and eventually the USA brought the Kingdom of Hawaii into submission. Americans are not particularly embraced by Hawaiians, AFAIK.

Lisbon is 500km away from Madrid and 1000km away from Barcelona, the magnitude of distances from Portugal to the islands or Spain proper is the same to us. Portugal is remote and peripheral. We see "Europe" as the British people see: something that we are part of but too distant to feel some deep kinship.

Portuguese people actually feel closer to the British in many aspects and that's why we maintain with them the oldest alliance in the world (since 1373).

We even used to drive on the left like Brits until we yielded to Spanish pressure because we don't border anyone else. However trains remained on the left and they change track in Spain.

The fact that Cristiano Ronaldo always dreamed to play in Real Madrid is something peculiar to him, it's not something popular here to dream to play in Spain, some younger kids like Real and Barcelona in the same way they like Justin Bieber or Billie Eilish mainly because Figo played there but that's it. Spaniards don't like our players very much and the feeling is mutual. Spain has always been a rival before football even existed, we look to beat them, not to praise them.

We don't actually look up to anyone. We always aspire to win the World Cup, we got a 3rd place once, a 4th place another time and we will win it one day just like we won the Euro 2016.

Portugal has many teams with European titles including Champions League titles. Sporting, Benfica and FC Porto are word class teams on their own with world class football schools from which Cristiano Ronaldo is the prodigal son.

Nonetheless many Portuguese boys and girls absolutely love English football and dream to play in one of its big clubs, it is absolutely magical, we see England as THE Football Reference because it's the home of this sport and because on a general basis Portuguese people have always seen England as the one and only ally.

Last edited:

bucky

The haters are clearly absent in the thread about the tragic news he’s received.

Pathetic cretins
Are the people who think that he has made us worse as a team the haters? If so, I guess I am one of them. I feel sorry for what has happened and it is an absolute tragedy. Not sure why people have to post about that in his performance thread though. There is another thread for it and frankly not posting about what has happened, doesn't have any bearing on someone as a person.

@amolbhatia50k, @Pogue Mahone, @Ali Dia I genuinely want to know if you all still think Ronaldo is the problem or if you underestimated how poor this teams structure is for any striker.

I'm not trying to Instigate anything just want the actual opinion of those who have been critical of Ronaldo.
Both things can be true. Ronaldo making us worse and our team overall being bad or lacking cohesion. Next season we also won't lose our other 4 main attacking players for various reasons from previous seasons. Any team would struggle with that. I think I pretty much agree with most of this article:

Since Greenwood’s departure Ronaldo is averaging roughly a third of United’s shots per game. He’s taken just over 21 percent of their total shots in this period and he didn’t even play in two of the matches!

At the same time, United found their footing. Their non-penalty xG per 90 has jumped to 1.85 with the amount of shots staying almost the same (they’re getting much higher quality shots!). United had a non-penalty xG of at least 2.0 in five consecutive matches to start this period.

United had now fully become a team built around Ronaldo. They were no longer trying to press so to maximize their defensive output. In possession they weren’t sharing the wealth anymore but funneling their chances towards one central hub; Ronaldo.

There was just one problem. Ronaldo wasn’t scoring and as a result, United weren’t winning. They won just two of the five games in that run (and that’s not including the FA Cup clash against Middlesbrough where Opta had United’s xG above four with a missed penalty). During those five games Ronaldo had 25 shots for a total xG of 4.1. In other words, the average player would be expected to have scored four goals if given those same 25 shots. Ronaldo had one.

Zlaatan

Parody Account

Pathetic cretins
This post says so much more about you than the people you talk about. I mean using a tragedy like that, which is about Ronaldo the father and his family, to have a go at people who don't share your opinion about Ronaldo the footballer is so low I don't even know where to start. Of course everyone is devastated about the news but just because someone doesn't post a comment about it on the fecking internet doesn't make them a "pathetic cretin".

Personally I haven't read any articles about it or opened the dedicated thread because I don't want to know any details or read any comments from the family about how brutal this is for them and somehow I don't think that makes me a pathetic cretin or less human.

Maybe you should take a step back from the Ronaldo fans vs Ronaldo haters thing for a while because it seems you're far too invested in it to see straight.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He needs to get the captain's armband asap , I can bear to see Maguire defile it any longer.
For all his childish behavior and petulant attitude at times he is the only winner in this club who knows the way it should be, he needs to get it.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
My friend, Madeira (pronounced Ma-day-ra, not "maderia" :D ) is almost as far from Morocco (635 km) as from Mainland Portugal (795 km), I know it's just rhetoric but that makes it sound like we took it from Morocco. :D

Madeiera is not anywhere as far as the Hawaii is from the USA (795km vs 3679km), that's almost 5 times farther away.

Madeira is not only technically Portugal, it is Portugal in all aspects, the islands had never been inhabited before when we got there in 1418.

99% of people living in the islands can trace their ancestors back to mainland Portugal as all settlers came from the mainland and they share everything with us just like people from Açores do. We all speak exactly the same language.

Hawaii is a completely different story because the islands were inhabited by Polynesians before Europeans arrived and eventually the USA brought the Kingdom of Hawaii into submission. Americans are not particularly embraced by Hawaiians, AFAIK.

Lisbon is 500km away from Madrid and 1000km away from Barcelona, the magnitude of distances from Portugal to the islands or Spain proper is the same to us. Portugal is remote and peripheral. We see "Europe" as the British people see: something that we are part of but too distant to feel some deep kinship.

Portuguese people actually feel closer to the British in many aspects and that's why we maintain with them the oldest alliance in the world (since 1373).

We even used to drive on the left like Brits until we yielded to Spanish pressure because we don't border anyone else. However trains remained on the left and they change track in Spain.

The fact that Cristiano Ronaldo always dreamed to play in Real Madrid is something peculiar to him, it's not something popular here to dream to play in Spain, some younger kids like Real and Barcelona in the same way they like Justin Bieber or Billie Eilish mainly because Figo played there but that's it. Spaniards don't like our players very much and the feeling is mutual. Spain has always been a rival before football even existed, we look to beat them, not to praise them.

We don't actually look up to anyone. We always aspire to win the World Cup, we got a 3rd place once, a 4th place another time and we will win it one day just like we won the Euro 2016.

Portugal has many teams with European titles including Champions League titles. Sporting, Benfica and FC Porto are word class teams on their own with world class football schools from which Cristiano Ronaldo is the prodigal son.

Nonetheless many Portuguese boys and girls absolutely love English football and dream to play in one of its big clubs, it is absolutely magical, we see England as THE Football Reference because it's the home of this sport and because on a general basis Portuguese people have always seen England as the one and only ally.
Great post.

MichaelRed

Pathetic cretins
Yup. Instead they're sitting in here trying to explain how the 2nd highest assister of all time doesn't create chances. Scum.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yes, a fascinating insight into Portuguese culture.
I really like the Portuguese posters in this forum, they provide fascinating into their rich footballing culture , and seem to be generally self aware as well.

TheReligion

Abusive
This post says so much more about you than the people you talk about. I mean using a tragedy like that, which is about Ronaldo the father and his family, to have a go at people who don't share your opinion about Ronaldo the footballer is so low I don't even know where to start. Of course everyone is devastated about the news but just because someone doesn't post a comment about it on the fecking internet doesn't make them a "pathetic cretin".

Personally I haven't read any articles about it or opened the dedicated thread because I don't want to know any details or read any comments from the family about how brutal this is for them and somehow I don't think that makes me a pathetic cretin or less human.

Maybe you should take a step back from the Ronaldo fans vs Ronaldo haters thing for a while because it seems you're far too invested in it to see straight.
speaks volumes this. The feeling is guilt.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Back in training per luckhurst , we need him to be back to his very best in these closing moments as we wrap our season over.
Europe is all but gone but we still have a slight chance so must go down with a fight.
It's kinda funny that this season had the opposite effect for me compared to most people as I never really got over the fact that he ditched us for real in those prime years of ours which cost us several titles and his generally over bearing personality but him coming back to this shitshow and bringing along his high standard make me respect him more.
Whatever happens from now on , I will remember him fondly.

NewYorkRed

I hope he stays. If ETH can make it work with Haller, then Ronaldo should still be flying under him. And if ETH thinks Nunez is his man then we should still go for him too. Playing one season under Cristiano I’m sure won’t be a problem. That way we get to keep our only guaranteed 20+ goals player and invest in the future at the same time.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
speaks volumes this. The feeling is guilt.
What the fecking feck are you on about? If I felt guilty I would've simply posted in the other thread, not lied about why I haven't in a reply to you. Your last two posts in this thread are among the most stupid and absurd posts I've ever read on this forum, and I think we all know what a feat that is.

Just stop before you embarrass yourself even more.

philipos

That's not really how it works In real life. Thing is where we would have been is an unknown. Try doing it without a goalkeeper
This table would only work if you take the leading scorer out of every team.

MoskvaRed

I’m not blaming Ronaldo (we have major problems in every area of the football club) but that’s a simplistic take. It’s not like we would be playing with 10 men otherwise, and for 500k a week United should be able to find another striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.