5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

troylocker

Christ some of you nutters actually think he's the reason our play has gone off the rails don't you.

I mean criticism of his shooting is obviously valid but the rest is just absolute nonsense. Our players are underperforming all by themselves, i actually can't figure out how anyone could arrive at blaming their form on Ronaldo.
Do you honestly think we would be in worse shape now if we didn't sign Ronaldo on deadline day?

And again: I blaim the management for letting this happen. Ole, Ragnick and those on top. So short sighted that it blows your mind. I'm sure Ronaldo does his absolute best.

Smores

Do you honestly think we would be in worse shape now if we didn't sign Ronaldo on deadline day?

And again: I blaim the management for letting this happen. Ole, Ragnick and those on top. So short sighted that it blows your mind. I'm sure Ronaldo does his absolute best.
I think our midfield would still be shit as would our defence. Rashford would still have the same issues and Sancho wouldn't suddenly acclimatise any quicker. Bruno you could argue but really his flaws started last season.

If we'd have signed a top striker instead of Ronaldo yes we'd be better. His absence itself does not make us a better team in any shape.

JB7

You really have a hard on for slagging off De Gea every thread you enter
Not every thread funnily enough but the fact he crops up so much would suggest exactly how much of an issue he is for the team overall. However on this topic, if people are going to use the "someone else would score the goals" argument for Ronaldo's goals but in the De Gea thread say "we'd be 15th in not for De Gea" as if the alternative was an open goal then the double standard isn't difficult to see.

Marwood

Who scores any goals?

And I mean in the real world. Not this theoretical alternative where player x is available.

Marwood

While we wait to sign a young modern striker, who can also chase a ball, yes. I believe that was the original plan (Homegrown Greenwood and Cavani was also part of that plan). In general I'm very much against buying old stop gap players and even more against buying old players to be the main man and totally change our game to fit that player.

We came off 3rd and 2nd in the PL the last 2 seasons, now we must fight to secure top 6 and we have a 37 year old former goat who is a guaranteed starter when fit to lead the line. Our other attackers have all fallen off a cliff and we went from being a very attractive destination for any young ambitious striker to the opposite over night with this signing.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I can't see how you can make a case for us being at a better place with him than we were before we "impulse" signed him on the last day of the summer window.

Ronaldo is Ronaldo and I respect him and what he's achieved on the pitch, but the 37 year old version of him shouldn't be part of any top clubs future plans. That's a recipe for stagnation.
You've took our form from Sept - Dec 2020 and fast forwarded to the start of this season.

Then drawn a comparison between the two periods and decided it's on Ronaldo because he's one thing that's different.

However you've deleted the second half of last season to make this Ronaldo caused problem sync up.

When in fact we all know the football Jan 21 was bad and got progressively worse as the season wore on. With Rashford and Bruno struggling for league goals in that period.

You know this. You watched it.

troylocker

Who scores any goals?

And I mean in the real world. Not this theoretical alternative where player x is available.
Last season these players scored some goals:

Rash - 21 goals
Martial - 7 goals
Cavani - 17 goals
Bruno - 28 goals
Greenwood - 12 goals

Total - 85 goals combined

This season after Ronaldo's entrance to the scene (with 5 games left of the season and not counting the 7 goals we scored prior to him signing):

Rash - 5 goals
Martial - 1 goal
Cavani - 2 goals
Bruno - 6 goals
Greenwood - 3 goals
Sancho - 5 goals (Bonus)

Total - 22 goals

That's a 63 (68) goals less from this crowd, that seemingly all have collectively become crap over night, while Ronaldo has added the staggering amount of 23 goals himself.

We are out of all cups and have nothing but an EL spot to play for.

What happened here? You do the math....

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Similar case study with Benzema when Ronaldo was there. He's a blackhole in terms of absorbing all the chances / shots created. Ibrahimovic is a similar sort of player.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Rash - 21 goals
Martial - 7 goals
Cavani - 17 goals
Bruno - 28 goals
Greenwood - 12 goals

This season after Ronaldo's entrance to the scene (with 5 games left of the season and not counting the 7 goals we scored prior to him signing):

Rash - 5 goals
Martial - 1 goal
Cavani - 2 goals
Bruno - 6 goals
Greenwood - 3 goals
Sancho - 5 goals (Bonus)

Total - 22 goals

That's a 63 (68) goals less from this crowd, that seemingly all have collectively become crap over night, while Ronaldo has added the staggering amount of 23 goals himself.

This is it for me aswell.

I mean I think the easiest to see is Benzema with Ronaldo vs Benzema without Ronaldo.

The attacking ability of players playing alongside Ronaldo gets down a level whilst trying to focus on him.

It wouldn't be a problem before - but now the guy is 37 and playing in a position that was never his main position and therefore has weaknesses such as hold up play and passing to others; which also halts the ability of his attacking team mates.

Marwood

Rash - 21 goals
Martial - 7 goals
Cavani - 17 goals
Bruno - 28 goals
Greenwood - 12 goals

Rash - 5 goals
Martial - 1 goal
Cavani - 2 goals
Bruno - 6 goals
Greenwood - 3 goals
Sancho - 5 goals (Bonus)

Total - 22 goals

See you're doing it again. You refuse to acknowledge that last season was a season of two halves.

We've been over this but how many league goals did Bruno and Rashford score Jan 2021 to end of the season. Let's say without pens. Seriously have a look and get back to me.

As for Cavani, Martial and Greenwood, yeah they've scored less goals this season for us.

Can you think of reasons for that other than Ronaldo? Anything come to mind?

Some might say Cavani being constantly injured this year and not on the pitch would be the primary cause of him not scoring as many.

Equally some might say Greenwood being arrested and not on the pitch would be the primary cause of him not scoring as many.

Or you could say Martial not being at the club and not on the pitch would be the primary cause of him not scoring as many.

But I see you're blaming Ronaldo instead.

Last edited:

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
To be fair, Ronaldo was at fault for Rashford's one on one chance against Allison the other day.

As if we can highlight Ronaldo as the reason for our other players' piss poor finishing

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Not every thread funnily enough but the fact he crops up so much would suggest exactly how much of an issue he is for the team overall. However on this topic, if people are going to use the "someone else would score the goals" argument for Ronaldo's goals but in the De Gea thread say "we'd be 15th in not for De Gea" as if the alternative was an open goal then the double standard isn't difficult to see.
De Gea has his haters, you being near if not at the top, but he is the least of our immediate problems in this squad. Rangnick saying we need to improve in all areas apart from goalkeeping highlights that. He may not be a great manager but in terms of football knowledge I will listen to him more than you.

The guy has two years left before we likely look for a replacement. I will however continue to enjoy seeing you bashing him after every match

Back to Ronaldo, good to see him back and hope he's not rushing back into it

troylocker

You've took our form from Sept - Dec 2020 and fast forwarded to the start of this season.

Then drawn a comparison between the two periods and decided it's on Ronaldo because he's one thing that's different.

However you've deleted the second half of last season to make this Ronaldo caused problem sync up.

When in fact we all know the football Jan 21 was bad and got progressively worse as the season wore on. With Rashford and Bruno struggling for league goals in that period.

You know this. You watched it.
Are you talking about the Bruno had a record of 17 goals and 8 assists in 2021 before the arrival of Ronaldo?
....or the Rashford who had a record of 7 goals and 9 assists in 2021 before Ronaldo came in?
...or the Cavani who scored 13 and assisted 4 in 2021 before Ronaldo came in?

They were not as bad as you think they were.

I dear say that all these players, despite Bruno still being our most productive (Goals+assists) player even without penalty duties this season, had better numbers in the second half of last season than what they've delivered this season.

troylocker

See you're doing it again. You refuse to acknowledge that last season was a season of two halves.

We've been over this but how many league goals did Bruno and Rashford score Jan 2021 to end of the season. Let's say without pens. Seriously have a look and get back to me.

As for Cavani, Martial and Greenwood, yeah they've scored less goals this season for us.

Some might say Cavani being constantly injured this year and not on the pitch would be the primary cause of him not scoring as many.

Equally some might say Greenwood being arrested and not on the pitch would be the primary cause of him not scoring as many.

Or you could say Martial not being at the club and not on the pitch would be the primary cause of him not scoring as many.

If you try to force an entire family meal down one mouth, you will spill a lot of food on the floor.....and leave the rest of the family hungry.

;)

Jericho

There's been a clear impact to how our forwards play since Ronaldo came here. You only have to look at Bruno's output this year to see that his goals have basically gone to Ronaldo. The mentality has changed to "just get it to Ronaldo". That wasn't the case last year.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
This is it for me aswell.

I mean I think the easiest to see is Benzema with Ronaldo vs Benzema without Ronaldo.

The attacking ability of players playing alongside Ronaldo gets down a level whilst trying to focus on him.

It wouldn't be a problem before - but now the guy is 37 and playing in a position that was never his main position and therefore has weaknesses such as hold up play and passing to others; which also halts the ability of his attacking team mates.

Not only is that post nonesense but so is this regarding benzema. You clearly didn't see much of Madrid while he was there. Also, it's been what 4 years since Ronaldo left. Benzema is only now having the sort of purple patch Ronaldo had for years there.

Just see 2016/17 highlights. Benzema missed many chances that Ronaldo created for him. He had is own struggles and it wasn't related to Ronaldo.

Similarly, we've had plenty of games where Ronaldo doesn't play. I didn't see Bruno and rashford lighting it up.

shamans

There's been a clear impact to how our forwards play since Ronaldo came here. You only have to look at Bruno's output this year to see that his goals have basically gone to Ronaldo. The mentality has changed to "just get it to Ronaldo". That wasn't the case last year.
Explains why greenwood started talking more shots on goal this season than last ? There is no such get it to Ronaldo mentality. Bruno is playing crap because he doesn't have a free role like he did under ole.

Rashford is missing 1 on 1 chances. Nothing to do with Ronaldo .

shamans

Similar case study with Benzema when Ronaldo was there. He's a blackhole in terms of absorbing all the chances / shots created. Ibrahimovic is a similar sort of player.
I guess the 30 or so extra goals Madrid were scoring on average were chances absorbed from different teams?

Also benzema was averaging around 15-20 goals a season and now he's averaging 20-25.

So Ronaldo "stole" 10 goals. What happened to the rest?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I guess the 30 or so extra goals Madrid were scoring on average were chances absorbed from different teams?

Also benzema was averaging around 15-20 goals a season and now he's averaging 20-25.

So Ronaldo "stole" 10 goals. What happened to the rest?
Ronaldo was not a striker at Real Madrid either. He was a left winger.

If you cant see how 10 goals were taken away from the striker himself for the left winger; why can't you see how Ronaldo as a central striker takes away from the left and right winger aswell - especially because Ronaldo is not a hold up play or passing player.

The Irish Connection

Ronaldo has absolutely nothing to do with how Rashford, Sancho, Fernandes and Greenwood (for different reasons) have been crap. Nothing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Rash - 21 goals
Martial - 7 goals
Cavani - 17 goals
Bruno - 28 goals
Greenwood - 12 goals

Rash - 5 goals
Martial - 1 goal
Cavani - 2 goals
Bruno - 6 goals
Greenwood - 3 goals
Sancho - 5 goals (Bonus)

Total - 22 goals

If Ronaldo didn't sign for us then;

Rashford would likely still be in the slump he's experienced since the start of last year.
Martial would likely still be in the slump he's experienced since he got here, and still be on loan elsewhere.
Cavani would likely still be injured every five minutes.
Bruno would likely still be flakey, frustrated and struggling to get forward with a team that can't muster three passes together without fecking up.
Greenwood would likely still be in a prison cell.

We can't just blame things on Ronaldo because, we as a team, have been monumentally shite this season. We've been monumentally shite for years now.

When Rangnick came everyone said that Ronaldo would start bitching and refuse to do anything other than stand about in the opposition's box. But it turns out that he's one of the only players other than De Gea who actually seems to give a shit and is trying to support the team both mentally in the dressing room and on the pitch, so now everyone is trying to find another reason why it's all his fault that other players can't score. Has he missed chances? Absolutely. But there's no way in hell that anyone else in our front 3 would do anything other than slump their shoulders and give a half assed performance - and that's not guesswork, that's based on what they've been doing for months now.

troylocker

Explains why greenwood started talking more shots on goal this season than last ? There is no such get it to Ronaldo mentality. Bruno is playing crap because he doesn't have a free role like he did under ole.

Rashford is missing 1 on 1 chances. Nothing to do with Ronaldo .
Last season Greenwood took on average exactly the same amount of shots/90 as he did this season: 3,31 shots (3,22 after Ronaldo came)/90 this season vs. 3,30 shots/90 last season. Him and Cavani are the only players where this number hasn't decreased significantly (Cavani playing in the same position as Ronaldo kind of explains that).

Ronaldo fires 4,14 shots on average per 90 in the PL (Last season Bruno topped out list with 3,49 shots/90)

Our other attacking players:

Bruno: 2,48 shots/90 this season vs. 3,49 shots/90 last season. (down 29%)
Rashford: 1,73 shots/90 this season vs. 2,42 shots/90 last season. (down 29%)
Sancho: 1,3 shots/90 this season vs. 2,26 shots/90 last season at Dortmund

It's not all down to getting it to Ronaldo, but it is a very clear tendency in the numbers.

Rashford missing 1 on 1s with the goalkeeper is of course down to himself and his confidence.

Rashford's finishing this season has been better than Ronaldo's though. He has overperformed his npxG by 42% despite missing that chance, while Ronaldo has underperformed his npxG by 5,5%

Smores

It's amazing isn't it. Imagine using Greenwood and Cavani's goals dissappearing as a stick to beat Ronaldo with :lol:

Ronaldo causing Rashford goals to dry up too.

troylocker

Rashford would likely still be in the slump he's experienced since the start of last year.
Martial would likely still be in the slump he's experienced since he got here, and still be on loan elsewhere.
Bruno would likely still be flakey, frustrated and struggling to get forward with a team that can't muster three passes together without fecking up.

We can't just blame things on Ronaldo because, we as a team, have been monumentally shite this season. We've been monumentally shite for years now.

When Rangnick came everyone said that Ronaldo would start bitching and refuse to do anything other than stand about in the opposition's box. But it turns out that he's one of the only players other than De Gea who actually seems to give a shit and is trying to support the team both mentally in the dressing room and on the pitch, so now everyone is trying to find another reason why it's all his fault that other players can't score. Has he missed chances? Absolutely. But there's no way in hell that anyone else in our front 3 would do anything other than slump their shoulders and give a half assed performance - and that's not guesswork, that's based on what they've been doing for months now.
Let's agree that it's not all down to Ronaldo.

- It's impossible to know how Rashford would have been doing (He was doing quite well before his operation)
- It's impossible to know how Martial would have been doing (He would have gotten a lot more minutes if Ronaldo hadn't come) Not my favourite player either.
- It's impossible to know how Cavani would have been doing (He was very important in the second half of last season)
- It's impossible to know how Bruno wuld have been doing (He was our talisman and most important player for 19 months before the arrival of Ronaldo) He's still our most productive player and works his socks off every match though.
- Yes. Greenwood would probably still be in a prison cell.

I have never blaimed Ronaldo for not giving his all or for not caring. He wants to win stuff and he is a top proffessional. My critisism is for us signing a 36/37 year old on the highest wages ever seen in English football on impulse, and thinking that is the road forward, for playing him when fit no matter what, for throwing the original project under the bus to fit the 36 year old in and for not seing what negative impact it had/has on our squad and overall play. Not one player bar De Gea has become better the last 8 months.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

Couldnt be more spot on with your bullet points. Amazing that someone who is our goalscorer by a long shot is a reason for others' failings, both on and off the pitch

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Let's agree that it's not all down to Ronaldo.

- It's impossible to know how Rashford would have been doing (He was doing quite well before his operation)
- It's impossible to know how Martial would have been doing (He would have gotten a lot more minutes if Ronaldo hadn't come) Not my favourite player either.
- It's impossible to know how Cavani would have been doing (He was very important in the second half of last season)
- It's impossible to know how Bruno wuld have been doing (He was our talisman and most important player for 19 months before the arrival of Ronaldo) He's still our most productive player and works his socks off every match though.
- Yes. Greenwood would probably still be in a prison cell.

I have never blaimed Ronaldo for not giving his all or for not caring. He wants to win stuff and he is a top proffessional. My critisism is for us signing a 36/37 year old on the highest wages ever seen in English football on impulse, and thinking that is the road forward, for playing him when fit no matter what, for throwing the original project under the bus to fit the 36 year old in and for not seing what negative impact it had/has on our squad and overall play. Not one player bar De Gea has become better the last 8 months.
I guess that I'm just cynical about the validity of the original project since up until Woodward left it just seemed like we were doing the same thing we've done for a decade; buy big names and hope it works out.

And, yes, Ronaldo was another one of those big names but when you compare him to the likes of Di Maria, Falcao, Schweinsteiger et al, he's the only one that's actually performed to a decent standard. So I find it hard to find him one of our problems, even at his advanced age.

troylocker

It's amazing isn't it. Imagine using Greenwood and Cavani's goals dissappearing as a stick to beat Ronaldo with :lol:

Ronaldo causing Rashford goals to dry up too.
Which one of these two things would make you most happy?
-Us playing good football?
-Ronaldo contiuning to have an important role in our team going forward?

PS! You discussion-technique of undermining the poster in stead of adding good arguments to the discussion is really hurting the discussion.

Smores

Which one of these two things would make you most happy?
-Us playing good football?
-Ronaldo contiuning to have an important role in our team going forward?

PS! You discussion-technique of undermining the poster in stead of adding good arguments to the discussion is really hurting the discussion.
If Ronaldo undermines our football then he shouldn't start on that we're agreed. It's your flawed reasoning, worked backwards from conclusion that is the matter of debate.

Just limit the discussion to three players for now Rashford, Greenwood, and Cavani. Do you actually believe any of these are playing worse football because of Ronaldo.

You're pulling up stats that are outcome in regards to shots. Go look at say successful dribbles for Rashford and you'll have your answer as to why he's getting less shots. We're not playing counter attack football and he's lost his ability to dribble or pass. Add that to Sancho taking his favoured spot and you have your reason.

shamans

Last season Greenwood took on average exactly the same amount of shots/90 as he did this season: 3,31 shots (3,22 after Ronaldo came)/90 this season vs. 3,30 shots/90 last season. Him and Cavani are the only players where this number hasn't decreased significantly (Cavani playing in the same position as Ronaldo kind of explains that).

Ronaldo fires 4,14 shots on average per 90 in the PL (Last season Bruno topped out list with 3,49 shots/90)

Our other attacking players:

Bruno: 2,48 shots/90 this season vs. 3,49 shots/90 last season. (down 29%)
Rashford: 1,73 shots/90 this season vs. 2,42 shots/90 last season. (down 29%)
Sancho: 1,3 shots/90 this season vs. 2,26 shots/90 last season at Dortmund

It's not all down to getting it to Ronaldo, but it is a very clear tendency in the numbers.

Rashford missing 1 on 1s with the goalkeeper is of course down to himself and his confidence.

Rashford's finishing this season has been better than Ronaldo's though. He has overperformed his npxG by 42% despite missing that chance, while Ronaldo has underperformed his npxG by 5,5%
If XG is telling you that then there is something wrong with XG.

JB7

De Gea has his haters, you being near if not at the top, but he is the least of our immediate problems in this squad. Rangnick saying we need to improve in all areas apart from goalkeeping highlights that. He may not be a great manager but in terms of football knowledge I will listen to him more than you.

The guy has two years left before we likely look for a replacement. I will however continue to enjoy seeing you bashing him after every match

Back to Ronaldo, good to see him back and hope he's not rushing back into it
"Hater"? :lol: If pointing out problems with players makes me a "hater" then I guess this is a forum full of "haters".

I gravitate towards the goalkeeper because that's the position I have a professional understanding of, again, if that makes me a "hater" then crack on. By the way, literally no other player in the squad is the worst player in the league in critical aspects of their game, that is a massive problem particularly in a team that does not sit deep defensively, I'd be amazed if ETH does not highlight this immediately if he hasn't done so already.

shamans

Ronaldo was not a striker at Real Madrid either. He was a left winger.

If you cant see how 10 goals were taken away from the striker himself for the left winger; why can't you see how Ronaldo as a central striker takes away from the left and right winger aswell - especially because Ronaldo is not a hold up play or passing player.
Ronaldo was a wide forward. He was their main man and naturally took away 5 or so goals from Benzema every season. Ronaldo was scoring twice the amount of goals Benzema is now while Benzema's output was around 80%. Naturally when your core attacking output leaves you'll get some more chances but it's not a Ronaldo specific issue.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
"Hater"? :lol: If pointing out problems with players makes me a "hater" then I guess this is a forum full of "haters".

I gravitate towards the goalkeeper because that's the position I have a professional understanding of, again, if that makes me a "hater" then crack on. By the way, literally no other player in the squad is the worst player in the league in critical aspects of their game, that is a massive problem particularly in a team that does not sit deep defensively, I'd be amazed if ETH does not highlight this immediately if he hasn't done so already.
The forum is full of haters, even without your faux description of one.

Won't derail the thread. We can pick this up in the De Gea performance thread after tomorrow's match, which I no doubt will see you in there :D

RepardReece

Rash - 21 goals
Martial - 7 goals
Cavani - 17 goals
Bruno - 28 goals
Greenwood - 12 goals

Rash - 5 goals
Martial - 1 goal
Cavani - 2 goals
Bruno - 6 goals
Greenwood - 3 goals
Sancho - 5 goals (Bonus)

Total - 22 goals

to be honest if you bothered watching the games this season you'd have seen how many clear cut chances Rashford has missed, add Bruno to that list.

Also, 3 of your players have barely played, if not at all this season in Martial (loan), Greenwood (obvious reason) and Cavani (injured 99% of this season).

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ronaldo's too good for the current Man Utd team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not sure why he didn't take the pen. He also plays miles better when he gets an actual rest. Was very good all round today IMO. 100 pl goals is nice

Status
Not open for further replies.